PDA

View Full Version : AMD Athlon 64 X2 or Intel Pentium D

Wa-Z
08-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Sorry...I know this belongs in the Media Center...but I will get more responses here...(admins please leave this here for a day so I can make up my mind) :)

Moooo
08-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Sorry...I know this belongs in the Media Center...but I will get more responses here...(admins please leave this here for a day so I can make up my mind) :)

From my experience (which has been a few years) AMD was the cheaper buy for raw power, but Intel always put in some bells and whistles that if the program you were running knew how to use, would increase performance.

Here's a website I always check out when looking at CPUs. It'll show you all the benchmarks of most every speed and compare it to its closest counterpart of the opposite brand.

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/

Just click on the CPU tab, and have fun!

Moooo

oaklandhater
08-02-2006, 11:29 PM
This is what I have allways been told if you like gameing go AMD If you like stability and digital photos go Intel.

chief2000
08-02-2006, 11:58 PM
Google.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q2/athlon64-x2/index.x?pg=16

stanleychief
08-03-2006, 12:04 AM

Are you a definate on the your choices being a Pentium D or an AMD X2, and if not what is your timeframe for purchase? The reason I ask is that there is a much better chip that is about to hit the market by Intel called the Core Duo 2. You can pick up an E6600 model for around $316 that will smoke every AMD X2, including the FX-62! The E6600 is supposed to reach retailers by Aug. 7th.

Review: http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/14/core2_duo_knocks_out_athlon_64/

Vegas_Dave
08-03-2006, 12:16 AM
Yeah, I am an AMD X2 fan as it slaughters the Pentium D and Core Duo (original Core) in every category. However, the new Core 2 Duo in early testing is beating EVERY CHIP EVER MADE by around 50%... unless AMD comes out with their Quad core quick (read about their marketing of the 4x4 platform), Intel is striking a hard blow.

stanleychief
08-03-2006, 12:17 AM
This is what I have allways been told if you like gameing go AMD If you like stability and digital photos go Intel.

That was pretty much true until the AMD X2 came out, and then it became very lopsided. AMD captured the performance crown from Intel in a big way. Intel's new Core Duo 2 is a leap from what they've had before and pretty much kills AMD across the board. It probably won't be long of course until AMD fires back. Such is life in the land of computers.

Ever since the Athlon hit the scene, stability issues have really been a non-issue. The Athlon MP chips got a bad reputation mostly due to the power requirements and heat they produced. If the rest of your system wasn't up to par, you could end up frying your board pretty quick!

Intel has always had a slight edge in multimedia processing compared to standard Athlon chips, but was beat down pretty badly with the arrival of the Athlon 64 X2 series. Core Duo 2 has recaptured the crown with a vengence.

Moooo
08-03-2006, 12:21 AM
That was pretty much true until the AMD X2 came out, and then it became very lopsided. AMD captured the performance crown from Intel in a big way. Intel's new Core Duo 2 is a leap from what they've had before and pretty much kills AMD across the board. It probably won't be long of course until AMD fires back. Such is life in the land of computers.

Ever since the Athlon hit the scene, stability issues have really been a non-issue. The Athlon MP chips got a bad reputation mostly due to the power requirements and heat they produced. If the rest of your system wasn't up to par, you could end up frying your board pretty quick!

Intel has always had a slight edge in multimedia processing compared to standard Athlon chips, but was beat down pretty badly with the arrival of the Athlon 64 X2 series. Core Duo 2 has recaptured the crown with a vengence.

Duron, baby!!!

Moooo

stanleychief
08-03-2006, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I am an AMD X2 fan as it slaughters the Pentium D and Core Duo (original Core) in every category. However, the new Core 2 Duo in early testing is beating EVERY CHIP EVER MADE by around 50%... unless AMD comes out with their Quad core quick (read about their marketing of the 4x4 platform), Intel is striking a hard blow.
Yep.. I like AMD and all, but I just put in a preorder for an e6600 myself. Problem is, the value of my X2 3800+ just went down the tubes with the massive price cuts that just took effect. It sucks to have paid $300+ for a CPU a matter of months ago just to see the price slashed in half!

Prodigal19
08-03-2006, 12:27 AM
ya, if u can, definantly wait for when the core 2 duo is availibe in a month or so. (its already been released but not really in stores or even online yet). Theres the Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, E6400, E6600, E6700, and X6800. The 6600 is a faster chip then the $999 AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 and is only $316.

theres a great review on anadtech.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795

stanleychief
08-03-2006, 12:29 AM
Duron, baby!!!

Moooo
Keeping it real in the value lineup is the Duron of course.. happily kicking the Celeron's booty for many years!

What's sad is if you look at the price of the top of the line Sempron (3100+) at $139 and the new price of the X2 3800+ at $150, do you think there will even be a need to continue making a 'value' chip any longer for AMD? We might be seeing an end to the Duron/Celeron/Sempron era!

the Talking Can
08-03-2006, 07:24 AM
ya, if u can, definantly wait for when the core 2 duo is availibe in a month or so. (its already been released but not really in stores or even online yet). Theres the Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, E6400, E6600, E6700, and X6800. The 6600 is a faster chip then the $999 AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 and is only $316.

theres a great review on anadtech.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795

thanks for that...looks like I'll be waiting a coule of weeks to get anew computer:

"Final Words

Intel's Core 2 Extreme X6800 didn't lose a single benchmark in our comparison; not a single one. In many cases, the $183 Core 2 Duo E6300 actually outperformed Intel's previous champ: the Pentium Extreme Edition 965. In one day, Intel has made its entire Pentium D lineup of processors obsolete. Intel's Core 2 processors offer the sort of next-generation micro-architecture performance leap that we honestly haven't seen from Intel since the introduction of the P6.

Compared to AMD's Athlon 64 X2 the situation gets a lot more competitive, but AMD still doesn't stand a chance. The Core 2 Extreme X6800, Core 2 Duo E6700 and E6600 were pretty consistently in the top 3 or 4 spots in each benchmark, with the E6600 offering better performance than AMD's FX-62 flagship in the vast majority of benchmarks. Another way of looking at it is that Intel's Core 2 Duo E6600 is effectively a $316 FX-62, which doesn't sound bad at all."