PDA

View Full Version : a 4th if you have not heard

blueballs
08-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Chiefs | Team traded 2007 fourth-round pick for Bennett
Wed, 2 Aug 2006 23:03:46 -0700

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the Kansas City Chiefs traded a fourth-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft to the New Orleans Saints in exchange for RB Michael Bennett, according to league sources.

greg63
08-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Eh, I can live with that; not that I have a choice. :D

Moooo
08-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Yuk.

They must have been worried about the backup RB situation more than I was :)

Moooo

milkman
08-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Eh, I can live with that; not that I have a choice. :D

There's always a choice.

In this case, that would be suicide.

I didn't say it has to be a good choice.

luv
08-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Yuk.

They must have been worried about the backup RB situation more than I was :)

Moooo
I was talking about this with a guy at work tonight (fellow Chiefs fan). Who are our current backup RB's?

blueballs
08-03-2006, 12:22 AM
for some strange reason
the part about huard going to New Orleans
did not copy with the rest

milkman
08-03-2006, 12:22 AM
I was talking about this with a guy at work tonight (fellow Chiefs fan). Who are our current backup RB's?

Dee Brown, McKenzie Smith and Derrick Ross are currently in camp.

That right there is a who's who of who the hell are they?

Miles
08-03-2006, 12:23 AM
A little more than I was hoping for, but it is reasonable. Now he just needs to somehow stay healty which should be easier as a backup.

luv
08-03-2006, 12:26 AM

Good, then I wasn't the only one thinking that when reading the names.

Moooo
08-03-2006, 12:31 AM
Good, then I wasn't the only one thinking that when reading the names.

It s a good pick up. The thing is LJ will be running the ball... a LOT this year. Without someone else of a moderate capability to help him out he might run out of gas, or worse, get injured. Picking him up adds some much-needed depth.

But at the same time a backup doesn't play much. It bothers me to see them give up such a high pick (I'd be content with a 5th), but really for all it is, and the peace of mind of getting more depth to the position which is quite easily the backbone of our offense, is worth a round 4 pick...

Moooo

greg63
08-03-2006, 12:49 AM
There's always a choice.

In this case, that would be suicide.

I didn't say it has to be a good choice.

ROFLROFLROFL

...Being a Chiefs fan all these years, there's been a time or to that I have entertained the notion.

Nite Planet!

DaKCMan AP
08-03-2006, 05:15 AM
dammit carl! :cuss: :cuss:

rad
08-03-2006, 05:47 AM

Where's Q-tip?

Hoover
08-03-2006, 05:48 AM
I'm fine with the 4th rounder. The 2006 Kansas City Chiefs are going to run the football and play defense. We needed a quality back to give LJ a breather, and give us a change of pace back.

I love this move. The 4th rounder next year isn't going to make us a Super Bowl team. Now is out time, next year we will be rebuilding anyway.

I think Meat Roaf is back starting at LT by Preseason game #3. He wants a ring, and this will be his last chance, we've got a shot this year and he knows it.

Inspector
08-03-2006, 06:05 AM
I was thinking it woild be a 5th, but this is OK.

Especially if he holds up, which I would expect as a backup.

I'd like to see some plays with both LJ and Bennett on the field at the same time.

Trent hands off to Bennett, who hands off to LJ who tosses it to Dante who is at the 5 yard line - Dante carries it in. TOUCHDOWN CHIEFS!!!!

Or - maybe it would be better to just Larry run, he seems to do that pretty good.

Man, I need to watch some football.

Bootlegged
08-03-2006, 06:19 AM
Fine with me. 4th = practice squad.

DaKCMan AP
08-03-2006, 06:35 AM
Fine with me. 4th = practice squad.

4th = Jared Allen

the Talking Can
08-03-2006, 07:30 AM
behind our OL, a 4th is ok....we needed someone to save LJ some carries and we got a home-run capable player...this is about this year, which is fine by me...

and I did hear CP right in the interview...thank god it isn't a first day conditional scenario...

jidar
08-03-2006, 08:06 AM
This isn't a bad deal at all.
Good move imo.
Carl never overpays (except in hindsight).

Bootlegged
08-03-2006, 08:23 AM
4th = Jared Allen

exception, not rule. A proven RB is worth a 4th. Or at least as proven as Bennett is.

CoMoChief
08-03-2006, 08:33 AM
That kinda sucks. I've always believed that you can get starters in the rounds 1-4. I mean its worth it if it can give LJ a break and prevent him from getting too banged up, but I still think a 4th round pick is too high for a backup.

Demonpenz
08-03-2006, 08:55 AM
I am 4th. We can't even get our 1st and 2nd rounders to produce

sedated
08-03-2006, 09:04 AM
there wasn't much choice at this point.

we should have probably addressed it in the draft, but a (relatively young) former 1st (with blazing speed) for a 4th is a decent deal.

we needed someone, and we'll be thanking the lawd come december and LJ is still fresh

kc rush
08-03-2006, 09:06 AM
for some strange reason
the part about huard going to New Orleans
did not copy with the rest

Was there seriously something about Huard going to NO?

Cave Johnson
08-03-2006, 09:15 AM
What I can't wrap my mind around is why Carl didn't anticipate our need for a proven, quality backup to LJ. It didn't take Nostradamus-like skills to predict that Priest wasn't coming back and that Herm would run the ball more. I guess he gets a pass on Roaf's retirement resulting in increased carries, but still, come the f on.

We could have had him in free agency for zip. Incredible.

jidar
08-03-2006, 09:17 AM
What I can't wrap my mind around is why Carl didn't anticipate our need for a proven, quality backup to LJ. It didn't take Nostradamus-like skills to predict that Priest wasn't coming back and that Herm would run the ball more. I guess he gets a pass on Roaf's retirement resulting in increased carries, but still, come the f on.

Back then I think everyone still thought Priest might play.

the Talking Can
08-03-2006, 09:20 AM

should he have signed him before he knew how much Law would cost?

the Saints are on the hook for Bennett's bonus...

relax, we're a better team today than we were yesterday...ain't that the point?

Cave Johnson
08-03-2006, 10:08 AM
Back then I think everyone still thought Priest might play.

Not even remotely accurate. I'd say CP opinion was 75% done, 25% returning.

should he have signed him before he knew how much Law would cost?

the Saints are on the hook for Bennett's bonus...

relax, we're a better team today than we were yesterday...ain't that the point?

I think we knew the answer on how much Law would cost. Low 1st year salary plus prorated signing bonus. I'm happy we made the move, I just think the timing is highly suspect.

the Talking Can
08-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Not even remotely accurate. I'd say CP opinion was 75% done, 25% returning.

I think we knew the answer on how much Law would cost. Low 1st year salary plus prorated signing bonus. I'm happy we made the move, I just think the timing is highly suspect.

suspect?

the timing had everything to do with the Saint's signing Bush...and I doubt they did know what Law would willing to sign for coming a 10 INT season....

still can't figure what there is to be unhappy about...

Brock
08-03-2006, 10:15 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Cave Johnson
08-03-2006, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Not having to give up a high 2nd day draft pick. We've had decent luck with our 4ths (Parker, Allen, Donnie). I guess it's a toss up whether a giving up a 4th is equal to not having to pay a $1M SB.

ChiefaRoo
08-03-2006, 10:24 AM
4th = Jared Allen

They should of sent a second then it would of been Siavii. But maybe Carl has got it all figured out now. When you draft early you can get good players instead of waiting for the second day ala Jared and Donnie Edwards.

Very clever :)

Brock
08-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Not having to give up a high 2nd day draft pick. We've had decent luck with our 4ths (Parker, Allen, Donnie). I guess it's a toss up whether a giving up a 4th is equal to not having to pay a $1M SB.

I agree with what you're saying, but in my view the Chiefs probably would have needed to draft LJ's understudy next year anyway. Now they don't.

milkman
08-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Where's Q-tip?

I overlooked him.

4th and Long
08-03-2006, 09:13 PM
I just skimmed the thread title and thought it was about me. Imagine my disappointment when I got inside.

blueballs
08-03-2006, 10:32 PM
4th bennett
would have been better

milkman
08-03-2006, 10:50 PM
I just skimmed the thread title and thought it was about me. Imagine my disappointment when I got inside.

And everyone else's relief! :p

Guru
08-03-2006, 10:52 PM

Story of your life right? :hmmm:

Halfcan
08-04-2006, 12:28 AM
I'm fine with the 4th rounder. The 2006 Kansas City Chiefs are going to run the football and play defense. We needed a quality back to give LJ a breather, and give us a change of pace back.

I love this move. The 4th rounder next year isn't going to make us a Super Bowl team. Now is out time, next year we will be rebuilding anyway.

I think Meat Roaf is back starting at LT by Preseason game #3. He wants a ring, and this will be his last chance, we've got a shot this year and he knows it.

Meat Roaf? ROFL Nice one as usual.

Halfcan
08-04-2006, 12:30 AM
This was a steal-none of our backups looked that great from what I was hearing.

I was rooting for Q-I still hope he at least makes the team-what a class act!!

ct
08-04-2006, 06:37 AM
Where's Q-tip?

This was a steal-none of our backups looked that great from what I was hearing.

I was rooting for Q-I still hope he at least makes the team-what a class act!!

From RotoWorld player tidbits:

Quentin Griffin-RB- Chiefs Aug. 3 - 9:09 pm et

Quentin Griffin is currently running behind Dee Brown and McKenzi Smith.

Griffin's short-lived Denver glory days are officially far behind him. If final cuts were today, Griffin would likely be exploring the waiver wire.

This is a good thing IMO. Keep Dee Brown as #3, and if we keep 4 on the roster with 1 FB, then keep Derrick Ross. Most likely Ross would be inactive all year, barring injury, but we wouldn't have to expose and lose him like Sam-I-Am GODoh.