PDA

View Full Version : KC Star-Roaf trying to ruin Jason Whitlocks chance to look smart about Law.

HemiEd
08-03-2006, 01:35 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/15184526.htm

Thursday August 3rd

TEAM COULD USE REALITY CHECK
IVER FALLS, Wis. | - R

Carl Peterson deserves credit for acquiring Michael Bennett and Kyle Turley to replace Priest Holmes and Willie Roaf.

Bennett and Turley — former first-round draft picks and still relatively young — performed at high levels before being slowed by injuries. They have the potential to contribute in a big way for the Chiefs this season.

Good job, King Carl.

On the other hand, Peterson’s unwillingness to move on publicly from fantasies concerning Holmes and Roaf returning to the Chiefs is a mistake that could hurt the psyche of the team.

Professional football is a game best played by the willing. And winning football games is so difficult, so physically demanding, that strong leaders realize you never give the willing an excuse for failure.

Peterson and coach Herm Edwards need to quit talking about Roaf and Holmes. Peterson and Edwards can privately wish that Roaf and Holmes will change their minds and return to football, but it’s unhealthy to continually express those desires publicly.

(And, yes, I’m quite aware that a doctor has not cleared Holmes for physical contact. I’ve also spent enough time in football to know that players play with lingering, dangerous injuries all the time, despite the concerns of doctors.)

It would be great if Roaf and Holmes returned to football. But there’s no reason to beg. Begging sends a message to the willing players that they’re not good enough to get the job done. Players start thinking: “Well, we can’t do this or that because Willie is not here.”

On Wednesday, Peterson announced the trade that brought Bennett to the Chiefs. A reporter immediately asked whether Bennett’s acquisition meant that the Chiefs have given up hope on Holmes.

“No,” Peterson said. “This is not an indication that Priest is not coming back.”

Please. Of course it’s an indication that Holmes isn’t coming back.

Peterson was later asked about Roaf, and Peterson indicated that the Chiefs wouldn’t put Roaf on the reserve-retired list for quite some time. Peterson insinuated the door would be open for Roaf’s return until week 10.

Peterson said Roaf’s retirement was a “large reversal” on Roaf’s stated intentions at the end of last season.

I don’t have a problem with the Chiefs being open to Roaf’s return. I have a problem with Peterson and Edwards looking weak and as if they’re scared to death of going into the season without Roaf.

Here’s what Peterson should say: “Specific to Roaf and Holmes, we’d love to have them back, but there’s only one constant in football, and that is change. We’re going to win football games with 53 willing players. We feel very good about the willing players we have in camp. We have a playoff-caliber team, and I expect the team to perform up to that level.”

There’s no reason to act panicked. There’s no reason for players to keep calling Willie and telling him how easy Camp Herm is.

Breaking news: The Chiefs never won a playoff game with Roaf and Holmes.

That’s not a knock on Roaf or Holmes. It’s acknowledgment that the Pittsburgh Steelers figured out how to win the Super Bowl a season ago without Roaf or Holmes. It can be done. The Chiefs can do it.

But they first have to develop the belief that they can do it. It’s up to Carl and Herm to develop that belief. They won’t do it if they keep acting as if the sky is falling because Willie Roaf isn’t in Wisconsin.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I must admit that I sent Willie an e-mail Tuesday begging him to return my phone call and reconsider.

Hey, look, I spent the better part of two years guaranteeing Ty Law would take this team to the Super Bowl. Willie is trying to blow up my opportunity to look smart.

Plus, Carl, Herm and the players should leave the begging and the groveling to professionals, people who know what they’re doing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hammock Parties
08-03-2006, 01:42 AM
the sky is falling because Willie Roaf isn’t in Wisconsin.

ROFL

We need Roaf to hold up the sky!!!

Hey, look, I spent the better part of two years guaranteeing Ty Law would take this team to the Super Bowl. Willie is trying to blow up my opportunity to look smart.

ROFL ROFL

God I love Whitlock.

ChiefsfaninPA
08-03-2006, 04:04 AM
He actually presents a pretty good point in the article. At some point we have to move on. We can privately still want him to come back but we have to let the guys who are replacing him know that we beleive in them.

StcChief
08-03-2006, 05:21 AM
Agreed with Fatlock on this. King Carl looks iffy about season. Move on....either Holmes/Roaf are fine or not.

The guys in camp need your support to media.

ROYC75
08-03-2006, 07:29 AM
It's going to take alot for Jason to look smart...........

the Talking Can
08-03-2006, 07:31 AM
maybe they keep talking about them because reporters keep asking about them....just a guess...

jidar
08-03-2006, 07:58 AM
That article sucks balls.

His entire point is that the psyche of the million dollar professional athletes is going to be damaged because of how CP answers reporters questions?

Get a god damned grip man.

JBucc
08-03-2006, 08:16 AM
I agree with him kind of. We're going to wait around until week ten to see if Roaf comes back to save our season? I say if he's not back after the first two preseason games it's time to close the door forever and look to the furture.

Hound333
08-03-2006, 08:19 AM
maybe they keep talking about them because reporters keep asking about them....just a guess...

Exactly....If they said no comment about Holmes or Roaf the reporters would read something into that.

Of course the next questions from them will be "When do you plan to stop talking about Holmes or Roaf?"

Baby Lee
08-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Yeah, because pretending the loss of DT wasn't crushing really bouyed the defense over the last 6 years.

Baby Lee
08-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Breaking news: The Chiefs never won a playoff game with Roaf and Holmes.

That’s not a knock on Roaf or Holmes. It’s acknowledgment that the Pittsburgh Steelers figured out how to win the Super Bowl a season ago without Roaf or Holmes. It can be done. The Chiefs can do it.
And I suppose the Steelers also LOST 2 players of the caliber of Roaf and Holmes on the brink of their SB run.

FringeNC
08-03-2006, 09:16 AM
I think the Chiefs have written off Holmes. Roaf is a different story. I was prepared to write him off until reading the thread that the players are very confident he'd come back.

HemiEd
08-03-2006, 03:36 PM
It's going to take alot for Jason to look smart...........

agreed, and he is wants to lay claim to the Ty Law signing.

Messier
08-03-2006, 03:45 PM
The problem with Jason is he assumes that the players and fans look at things exactly the way he does. I think, mostly from the played pov, he is off base far more than on, he can only see things from a reporters standpoint. He feels a little betrayed by Carl? Well gee! Maybe the players don't feel that way.

mlyonsd
08-03-2006, 04:07 PM

no chit.

mlyonsd
08-03-2006, 04:12 PM

It would be nice to have a job where you could make all kinds of claims one year and then point to an obscure item as the reason your predictions didn't really happen.

Fish
08-03-2006, 04:51 PM
I like how he words it like he's best buddies with every one of the athletes/owners/whoever......

It's like he's saying "Look at me! I know famous people. I'm important."

cdcox
08-03-2006, 05:00 PM
I agree with him kind of. We're going to wait around until week ten to see if Roaf comes back to save our season? I say if he's not back after the first two preseason games it's time to close the door forever and look to the furture.

We are moving on. Turley is playing LT and doing a great job of it by all accounts. All Carl is doing is keeping the door open, which is exactly what he should be doing.

Heck, I'd take Roaf back in week 8 of the regular season, no questions asked.