PDA

View Full Version : virus?

HemiEd
08-03-2006, 10:12 PM
I think my PC has either been hacked or has a virus. I can access web sites, but can not print from them. Printer works fine from local computer programs.

AOL works fine, but Internet Explorer does not work.

None of the drop down boxes work here on the Planet, it goes back to the front page when I click on them. If I try and give someone rep it just goes to the top of the thread immediately when I click the box. The Clickable Smilies do not work.

When I try and go to McAfee to download, it will not let me. The page is white and says done. Same with Microsoft updates, it will not let me.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Guru
08-03-2006, 11:21 PM
I think my PC has either been hacked or has a virus. I can access web sites, but can not print from them. Printer works fine from local computer programs.

AOL works fine, but Internet Explorer does not work.

None of the drop down boxes work here on the Planet, it goes back to the front page when I click on them. If I try and give someone rep it just goes to the top of the thread immediately when I click the box. The Clickable Smilies do not work.

When I try and go to McAfee to download, it will not let me. The page is white and says done. Same with Microsoft updates, it will not let me.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Time for a re-install of windows bud.

SLAG
08-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Time for a re-install of windows bud.
or good time to switch to linux

HemiEd
08-04-2006, 07:44 AM
Thanks guys, I was afraid of that.

SLAG
08-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys, I was afraid of that.
you could always just try uninstalling the printer drivers... then reinstall..

try installing firefox

www.getfirefox.com

also update your Java and Flash to the newest versions.

see if that helps

if not...

move to linux

phisherman
08-04-2006, 08:35 AM
i still don't understand people's obsession w/ linux...

or rather their hatred of windows products...

it's a computer for gods sake

HemiEd
08-04-2006, 08:40 AM
you could always just try uninstalling the printer drivers... then reinstall..

try installing firefox

www.getfirefox.com

also update your Java and Flash to the newest versions.

see if that helps

if not...

move to linux

Slag02, the printer drivers are just one of many symptons. I worked on it several hours last night and my Wife has spent a couple of days on it. I am convinced that it has some malicious software loaded on it to make it a slave. AOL, MSN and others seem to work fine. I downloaded the latest version of IE (7) and it will not work. I tried at least a half dozen different virus and hacker programs, they all lock as soon as you try and run them.
We are in the process of backing up all of our stored files and are going to re-load windows I guess. Dell is supposed to call her tomorrow and help her with it. I did it myself on my laptop a while back, no big deal but she wants to work with Dell.
Thanks for your help. Linux, I thought it would not work with pictures?

phisherman
08-04-2006, 08:53 AM
ugh...that sounds nasty...

do you have the ability to run regedit or task manager? my parents had a virus a while back that would kill regedit, task manager, add/remove programs, etc

it also hardcoded the hosts file to point all major update/anti-virus websites to the NIC's loopback address basically making all fhe sites unreachable

try searching for the hosts file, open it w/ notepad and see if anything is pointed to 127.0.0.1

bp

phisherman
08-04-2006, 08:58 AM
the hosts file should be at c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc

or possibly c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

depending on your OS

NJ Chief Fan
08-04-2006, 09:24 AM
what the hell is linux? is it a program that i could use instead of windows xp?

htismaqe
08-04-2006, 09:52 AM
I can't believe the number of people here that just suggest Linux or Firefox without actually looking at the problem.

Did you ever think maybe he doesn't want to go to that trouble? Or maybe he's not computer-literate enough to even understand what you're talking about?

Hemi,

Run this program:

http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip

Then post the output here. I will tell you whether or not you have a virus.

HemiEd
08-04-2006, 10:06 AM
I can't believe the number of people here that just suggest Linux or Firefox without actually looking at the problem.

Did you ever think maybe he doesn't want to go to that trouble? Or maybe he's not computer-literate enough to even understand what you're talking about?

Hemi,

Run this program:

Thanks Parker, I just emailed that to her. She will run it and let me know! I will post the results, thanks again!

SLAG
08-04-2006, 10:46 AM
if It is a virus have You Tried To boot From a virus recovery disc from another pc ? sorry for jumping the gun on suggesting linux its just so much better than windows if you are able To make the switch if You Are not too reliant on windows based program

JBucc
08-04-2006, 10:49 AM
or good time to switch to linuxor not

HemiEd
08-04-2006, 11:07 AM
if It is a virus have You Tried To boot From a virus recovery disc from another pc ? sorry for jumping the gun on suggesting linux its just so much better than windows if you are able To make the switch if You Are not too reliant on windows based program

We have not tried the disc, I do not think we have one for some stupid reason. We paid them people enough money we should have though.

StcChief
08-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Need to scan machine for virus
Get something like free AVG to look at you machine
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

or other virus program. Ad-aware, hijackthis to
root out if you have a problem.

JBucc
08-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Don't you have system restore? I've used it a couple of times and it works great for big problems like that.

HemiEd
08-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Need to scan machine for virus
Get something like free AVG to look at you machine
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

or other virus program. Ad-aware, hijackthis to
root out if you have a problem.

Thanks, I will try that tonight.

Don't you have system restore? I've used it a couple of times and it works great for big problems like that.

Whatever is wrong with our machine blocks it.

HemiEd
08-04-2006, 12:02 PM

Hemi,

Run this program:

Here we go, bunch of greek to me. I appreciate the help.
okay here is lisLogfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:07:08 AM, on 8/4/2006
.exe

htismaqe
08-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Ain't a damn thing wrong with that HJT log.

You likely don't have a virus.

Can you provide any more details?

HemiEd
08-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Ain't a damn thing wrong with that HJT log.

You likely don't have a virus.

Can you provide any more details?

Thanks Parker, I am glad to hear it.

I will attempt to give a better picture of the problem, with my very weak knowledge of the workings of these things.

We use Comcast Cable High Speed. They provide it through a cable modem and Internet Explorer. We access AOL from that. We have the Lynksis Wireless router hooked to the cable modem and the PC is running from a wire connection to the Lynksis. We use the wireless capabilities for the laptop. All has been working great up until a few days ago.
I suspect there was a recent AOL update.
We had a violent thunderstorm and power outage. We do not have an APU on the PC, so it was shut down incorrectly.
When she restarted the PC, it would not access the internet.
Internet Explorer would not work, period. It would just lay there. The cable modem had all of the green lights on instead of flashing like normal. (we have replaced all wires and the cable modem)

Still dead to the internet, even though the new modem acted like it should.
We removed the McAfee program, and some how she was able to get AOL to come up after several hours. I am not sure what she did.
Previously, we could access IE and use it without AOL, not anymore. However, we can go through MSN and many other choices.
Here are some of the other symptoms:
It will not print anything from the internet, even though it tells you it is doing it.
When I log onto the Planet from that PC only, it brings up only the Chiefs Planet Header. I click on forums and it comes back with a no forums specified page with the capability to pick a forum and hit go.
When click on any other option at the top such as the one you select to get members and profile, nothing happens. If I click to give someone rep in a thread, it returns me to the top of the thread without going to the rep box. I can not use the smilies, if I click on the "Show all Smilies" thing it does nothing.
When I went to any (many) of the Microsoft update sites, they will not function. This is where I started getting suspicious, every tool I have used in the past would not run.
Last night I dropped $40 on that "registry Mechanic" software because the "free Scan" showed we had over 400 problems with the PC. Once I paid them and ran it, it showed everything was fixed in nano-seconds.
I am perplexed, thanks and hope this of some help.

htismaqe
08-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Your registry is likely hosed.

Fish
08-04-2006, 03:28 PM
A couple of things....

If you have Comcast internet, you really don't need AOL. At this point you are simply paying for an e-mail account from AOL. You can get a free e-mail account from several places that will serve you much better than AOL. I would recommend gmail.com. This is rather beside the point now, but something to think about if you reinstall. If you do reinstall everything, you would be much better off not putting AOL back on the machine, and getting a different e-mail account. Good timing to switch if you're going to reinstall. Looking at your logs from HJT, it appears you've had several versions of AOL on there. There are way to many AOL components starting up each time the machine is powered up. Without being exact, you could remove 25 or 30 of those AOL components that autostart and have a faster machine. Just about all of those components are not necessary, and only running because AOL wants their software running all the time.

Back to the problem.

Previously, we could access IE and use it without AOL, not anymore. However, we can go through MSN and many other choices.

When you say go through MSN and many other choices, do you mean MSN Explorer? And what other choices?

And IE will not even open right? Just wanted to be clear....

It will not print anything from the internet, even though it tells you it is doing it.
When I log onto the Planet from that PC only, it brings up only the Chiefs Planet Header. I click on forums and it comes back with a no forums specified page with the capability to pick a forum and hit go.
When click on any other option at the top such as the one you select to get members and profile, nothing happens. If I click to give someone rep in a thread, it returns me to the top of the thread without going to the rep box. I can not use the smilies, if I click on the "Show all Smilies" thing it does nothing.

What application are you viewing these pages with? If IE still won't work, are you using AOL to view these pages?

Last night I dropped $40 on that "registry Mechanic" software

These programs normally aren't worth a dime. And the free scans will always tell you there are problems... I've seen some that cause more problems than they fix.

What is really confusing me is when you say your usual tools won't run. This is indication of more serious registry corruption. Do you see anything when you try to run one of these tools? An hourglass or anything? Error message?

And one thing to try... open my computer and right click on your hard drive (c: ), and select Properties. It will pop up another box that should have 4 tabs across the top: General, Tools, Hardware, Sharing. Click on the Tools tab. There will be a button for Error-checking. This will pop up the check disk options. Make sure the check boxes are checked and click start. It will probably tell you that it can't run it now, and ask would you like to schedule it on the next reboot. This is normal due to some files being in use while the system is running. Click yes and reboot the machine. This is a pretty simple error-checking option, but it might help....

HemiEd
08-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Your registry is likely hosed.

Does that mean the fix is to re-load windows? Or is it worse than that?

A couple of things....

If you have Comcast internet, you really don't need AOL. At this point you are simply paying for an e-mail account from AOL. You can get a free e-mail account from several places that will serve you much better than AOL. I would recommend gmail.com. This is rather beside the point now, but something to think about if you reinstall. If you do reinstall everything, you would be much better off not putting AOL back on the machine, and getting a different e-mail account. Good timing to switch if you're going to reinstall. Looking at your logs from HJT, it appears you've had several versions of AOL on there. There are way to many AOL components starting up each time the machine is powered up. Without being exact, you could remove 25 or 30 of those AOL components that autostart and have a faster machine. Just about all of those components are not necessary, and only running because AOL wants their software running all the time. ....
Even with my lack of knowledge I do not want AOL, but my wife is sentimental about it. We have had it about 10 years. She wants it, so you know we have to give in sometimes. I certainly can not complain about her getting what she wants once in a while even if it does not make sense to me.

Back to the problem.

When you say go through MSN and many other choices, do you mean MSN Explorer? And what other choices?

And IE will not even open right? Just wanted to be clear....

When I click on IE, it comes up with all of the tool bars, but nothing in the middle of the page. It is just dead. If I click on the MSN Icon, Google or any of the others they come up with a page just like normal.

What application are you viewing these pages with? If IE still won't work, are you using AOL to view these pages?
.... I think it is AOL that may be facilitating the connection, since the new version logs us in all the time whether we want to or not. I hate that.

These programs normally aren't worth a dime. And the free scans will always tell you there are problems... I've seen some that cause more problems than they fix.
.... I felt like I had been duped shortly after I did it. The sense of potential satisfaction quickly turned into the one of a "sucker."

What is really confusing me is when you say your usual tools won't run. This is indication of more serious registry corruption. Do you see anything when you try to run one of these tools? An hourglass or anything? Error message?
When I say usual tools, over the years I have seen a lot of my problems fixed by going to Microsofts update page and doing it. Many other times by running McAfee and/or AOL updates. Now, it goes to the page and teases you. When you try and get an action, it just goes to a white screen and says "done" at the bottom. Sometimes a little box pops up in the middle that says I have an old version of AOL Tool bar would I like to remove it. You can click no or yes it does not matter, it keeps coming back until I am ready to pitch the computer into the street.

And one thing to try... open my computer and right click on your hard drive (c: ), and select Properties. It will pop up another box that should have 4 tabs across the top: General, Tools, Hardware, Sharing. Click on the Tools tab. There will be a button for Error-checking. This will pop up the check disk options. Make sure the check boxes are checked and click start. It will probably tell you that it can't run it now, and ask would you like to schedule it on the next reboot. This is normal due to some files being in use while the system is running. Click yes and reboot the machine. This is a pretty simple error-checking option, but it might help....
This sounds very promising, I will try it tonight. Thanks everyone, typewriters and 8 tracks were so much simpler.

Fish
08-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Does that mean the fix is to re-load windows? Or is it worse than that?

Re-loading windows would fix it.

Even with my lack of knowledge I do not want AOL, but my wife is sentimental about it. We have had it about 10 years. She wants it, so you know we have to give in sometimes. I certainly can not complain about her getting what she wants once in a while even if it does not make sense to me.

Completely understandable... If it were me though, I would tell her that AOL is the reason it crashed (which is a very likely scenario). Even if that isn't proven, it might be a situation for a small white lie for the greater good of all. Just my opinion though....

When I click on IE, it comes up with all of the tool bars, but nothing in the middle of the page. It is just dead. If I click on the MSN Icon, Google or any of the others they come up with a page just like normal.
I think it is AOL that may be facilitating the connection, since the new version logs us in all the time whether we want to or not. I hate that.

That sounds more like AOL is trying to connect and may be conflicting with the normal internet settings. Would uninstalling AOL and reinstalling it be possible for you? If it came to that?

And another easy thing to try first.... When you say you can't click on things inside a web page (such as the Show all Smilies), that would be a java issue. You might try clicking HERE (http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp) and downloading the Windows (Offline Installation). There is a link right beside the download with instructions. This will reload your java software.

Edit: If you can't click the link above, put the following address in your address bar and click enter... or right click it and select Save as. Hopefully one of those methods will work....

http://sdlc-esd.sun.com/jre-1_5_0_06-windows-i586-p.exe

HemiEd
08-04-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks so much, I will try this tonight when I get home. I truly appreciate all the effort!

HemiEd
08-04-2006, 07:27 PM

Well that took forever,nothing wrong. Of course she walked by in the middle of it and said she had already done it a couple of times. :banghead:

Now for the Java thing.

HemiEd
08-04-2006, 07:35 PM
That only took a couple of seconds. "Congratulations, you have the latest version of Java."

SLAG
08-04-2006, 08:01 PM
That only took a couple of seconds. "Congratulations, you have the latest version of Java."

another program i would suggest... is STARTUP INSPECTOR...

www.windowsstartup.com

it lists most of all your TSR programs that load when you boot your computer..

look through the list of items it suggests after you install and click consult.

if you see any programs that you dont use very often... even some you dont dont have to be loaded at the Startup....

anyway.. check it out....

you have gotten alot of good info..

if firefox is an option for you i would urge you to use it or another alternate browser such as opera... if you are worried about spyware/malware then dont use I.E. plain and simple but i can understand if an alternate is not a possilbitiy

HemiEd
08-05-2006, 02:37 AM
another program i would suggest... is STARTUP INSPECTOR...

www.windowsstartup.com

it lists most of all your TSR programs that load when you boot your computer..

look through the list of items it suggests after you install and click consult.

if you see any programs that you dont use very often... even some you dont dont have to be loaded at the Startup....

anyway.. check it out....

you have gotten alot of good info..

if firefox is an option for you i would urge you to use it or another alternate browser such as opera... if you are worried about spyware/malware then dont use I.E. plain and simple but i can understand if an alternate is not a possilbitiy

Thanks Slag and everyone else. We are are pretty weak on AOL right now. Windows should be reloaded when I get back from golf this morning. :D

HemiEd
08-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Wow, this is like having a new computer. No more AOL! Thanks everyone for helping me convince her and the suggestions in this thread! I went ahead and hooked the PC wireless as well and got a new logitec wireless mouse.
We got the shit going on now! :p