PDA

View Full Version : If Tony Richardson does well Sunday

Idahojim
12-11-2000, 05:47 PM
Gunther says TRich will remain at halfback Sunday, and he'd like to see him get 20 carries at least. If he does and puts up the same kind of numbers he did against Caroline, it may have some people thinking the major missing piece to the running back puzzle has been solved. What if the Chiefs like TRich as the featured back, Moreau as the backup and then go out and get a good fullback?

Anyone out there comfortable with that?

Phobia
12-11-2000, 05:53 PM
Has anyone considered Tait doesn't run block that well? That was a strike coming out of the vertical BYU offense. Has anyone watched him closely? I know I haven't - just throwing out a question.

I'd still like to draft/acquire a top halfback. I'm not certain if Carolina/Denver defenses are a good test. I don't want to take anything away from TR because I think he's a wonderful addition to this team. As bad as our coaching staff is, I'm pretty certain they could determine if he were a top notch RB in the NFL prior to week 14..... then again, maybe not. The answer to your question is:

hellifIknow.

Pitt Gorilla
12-11-2000, 06:33 PM
I like TRICH at halfback for numerous reasons. First of all, we don't use a pick on a back. That's critical to our O and D lines. Secondly, he's signed for another 4 or so years and his numbers are cap friendly. Maybe Kimble can stick around and block....

------------------
GO PITT!

HC_Chief
12-11-2000, 06:50 PM
I was screaming for TRich to play HB at the beginning of this season (after Dillon talks fell through). Now, I'm not so sure he makes a very good HB. He is fast and strong, but he lacks the vision & lateral movement, i.e. 'hip swivel' to be a great every-down back. Too often, he plows into the LOS, rather than cutting a bit to the right or left - towards the open field. IMHO, he's best suited for FB.

Bob Dole
12-11-2000, 07:04 PM
As Bob Dole just pointed out on "that other thing" a moment ago, the "suspect" Carolina defense held Marshall Faulk to fewer total yards last week that Tony had this week.

Bob Dole doesn't think that anyone would claim that Tony is a Marshall-Faulk-Class halfback (though Tony is probably a better blocker), but thinks the Carolina defense may be better than we're assuming.

JOhn
12-11-2000, 07:21 PM
I would be happy with it IF:

#1 TRICH gets 90% of the carries at HB
#2 Kimble or unamed FB is signed.
#3 The FB stays at FB
#4 TRich/Moreau stay at HB.
#5 Moreau is groomed as the new HB.

I think the TRich/Moreau combo is good. Moreau has the speed to get outside and should be our Feature back by late next season.

BUT ABOLISH THE RBBC!!!!!!!
Cut any FB & HB other than the 2 HB's and 1 FB!!!! (that way they are not tempted to rotate)<BR>

Chiefnj
12-11-2000, 07:22 PM
Richardson is a Pro Bowl caliber FB, not a half-back. Keep him at the position that he is suited for. We have tried getting away with half assed FB's since we lost Okoye. How many times do we have to keep experimenting only to fall short. Get a top free agent HB, move Richardson to FB and our offensive skills positions will be one of the best in the league.

Phobia
12-11-2000, 07:27 PM
Faulk only had 15 carries vs. Carolina, Bob. For 94 yards, and 5 catches for 32. Richardson's #'s are 17/89 8/56. Considering Warner couldn't tell the light jerseys from the dark jerseys and put St. Louis in a hole, no wonder Faulk didn't rush for more.

Additionally, Carolina has allowed 1665 yards on the ground this year. The Cards, Browns, Cowgirls, Falcons, Eagles, & Bengals (1673) were the only teams worse that I found. That's a pretty weak rushing D.

G_Man
12-11-2000, 07:38 PM
I would not be comfortable with having Tony as our HB going into next season. I was not able to see the last game (only listen on radio), but from the other times I've seen him run I haven't been too impressed. Don't get me wrong, he's a great runner -- for a fullback. But for a HB, as someone already mentioned, he lacks vision and lateral movement. None of our backs, besides Kimble on occasion, seem to find the cutback lanes. We need to get a RB with the complete package and not keep settling for a "project" fullback turned halfback every year.

Bob Dole
12-11-2000, 07:40 PM
15/94 and 5/32 seem comparable to 17/89 and 8/56 in Bob Dole's book. (6.27/6.4 vs. 5.24/7.0.)

Also, with the exception of the game against the Rams, we're all discussing that it took our Stooges 15 weeks to figure out a correct scheme. would it not also be acceptable to say the same about Carolina's?

(And one more thing...) Many "experts" are babbling that Faulk is a candidate for league MVP, because the Rams are screwed without him. Against the same defense, one week later, Richardson put up comparable numbers. Bob Dole honestly feels that if we had stuck with Tony as we did Sunday from week one, we'd be in a completely different situation as far as overall record is concerned. (It's not like none of us said that 15 weeks ago or anything...)

G_Man
12-11-2000, 07:40 PM
And in my limited viewing of Moreau, it's been the same. Not much vision or moves. I don't care what his track time is or how big he is, he just doesn't seem to have the agility or instincts required to play HB.

Bob Dole
12-11-2000, 07:45 PM
And nobody thinks that Richardson or Moreau (or Bob Dole's dog) would develop that vision through repetition?

G_Man
12-11-2000, 07:48 PM
I don't. I think it's a natural instinct that some players have and some don't. To take it to a further degree, do you think Bennett could develop vision and moves through repetition?

[This message has been edited by G_Man (edited 12-11-2000).]

JOhn
12-11-2000, 07:49 PM
Interisting point mr Senator :)

How many carries has Moreau had this year?

Compare that to the top picks at HB. Heck he hasn't had time to show us anything, he's still in week to of the NFL season by most standards.

JOhn
12-11-2000, 07:51 PM
G_man that is true IF we were camparing apples to apples.
But Bennet is a Mack truck, were as Moreau is more of a Mustang. (maybe not a porche, but a sports car none the less)

G_Man
12-11-2000, 07:53 PM
Bennett is a mack truck in neutral. But I still don't think vision and moves can be taught. I think they come natually.

JOhn
12-11-2000, 07:55 PM
OK. But can you HONESTLY say that Moreau has had a chance to prove weather he has "IT" or not??

G_Man
12-11-2000, 07:56 PM
And, from what I'VE seen, Bennett and Moreau look damn similar. The only difference is that Moreau's not moving in slow motion.

G_Man
12-11-2000, 07:59 PM
JOhn - No. I'm just saying what I've seen in limited viewing. he should definitely be given more touches to see, but I hope they won't be next year when we're "finding out what we've got at HB". If I have to make a snap judgement (which, without more carries, I have to), i say he doesn't have IT. I could be wrong, but that's my assesment.

Bob Dole
12-11-2000, 08:00 PM
Bob Dole's opinion is that Bennett would have trouble developing a hemorrhoid. (Bob Dole pointed that out when it was announced that he was returning to the active roster.)

That said: many people on here have been insisting that we need to give the ball to "any back" the majority of the time. Now suddenly, JR has accomplished that feat and we're questioning whether it was for real. Bob Dole is not stating that TR is the answer, but would like to see it happen again the next 2 weeks.

We're at least losing Szott and likely to lose Grunhard. If we've got an adequate RB, Bob Dole would prefer we use our high picks on OL rather than backs that may or may not see action. If we've got no O-line, the RB won't matter and Mr. Stationary (Elvis) is going to do a very good Drew Bledsoe imitation next season.

And last time Bob Dole checked, this draft isn't exactly chock full of "Oh my Lord he's going to create a Super Bowl contender by himself" type running backs.

Bob Dole does not for one minute think that TR is our Ultimate Solution. TR might well be a 1-2 year bandaid, though.

G_Man
12-11-2000, 08:07 PM
Bob - Another OL pick? Ehhh, not in the 1st, please. Besides, guards and centers rarely go before the 2nd anyway. As for a RB not being able to do anything without an OL, there's some truth to that, but I wouldn't use that as a reason to select an OG rather than a HB. Look at Fred Taylor behind J-Ville's OL (minus Boselli, name one quality starter). look at Dillon. How great is his OL? I'd rather FINALLY get a HB, than aquire another great OL only to be wasted on a FB-HB convert year in, year out.

G_Man
12-11-2000, 08:11 PM
KPhobia - re: post#1

I don't think we can pin our lackluster running game on Tait. He may well be a poor runblocker (I haven't paid much attention to him) but how many times to we run around left end? The problem is in the interior, IMO. Blackshear is not the runblocker you'd expect from a guy his size. Grunhard's getting old. Shields is a great pass blocker, but he may have a little TOO much left tackle finesse in him. Could it be Willis at RG that improved our running game?

Cannibal
12-11-2000, 09:46 PM
IMO, what happened Sunday was ONE back was given the majority of the carries and it worked.

TRich could have rushed for well over 1,000 yards this year if they had played him that way all year.

With our passing game, we don't need a dominant rushing attack. All we need is exactly what we saw yesterday. One back that gets most of the carries and gets around 70-90 yards rushing, and 30 or 40 receiving.

That's why we should use our high draft picks on Defense IMO.

With one of the leagues best passing attacks all we need is a complementary running game. Improve the D and the Kick return game and the wins will follow.

If TR proves he can do it, heres how Id like to see them draft:

1.) OLB
2.) DT
3.) Guard/Center
4.) KR/PR - David Allen would be great here
4.) CB
5.) Guard/Center
6.) FB
7.) Best available athlete

[This message has been edited by Cannibal (edited 12-11-2000).]

KCWolfman
12-11-2000, 09:56 PM
I never thought I would see the day that Cannibal would not be calling for skills position in the first two rounds. And I agree with him wholeheartedly on his choices...

But I still think we need to explore a FA RB.

Cannibal
12-11-2000, 10:06 PM
I still don't like Grbac.

However, amazingly, he has proved me wrong. I can admit that. He is now in the upper echelon of QB's.

We have the best TE and in the NFL. The Cat will only get better, and Alexander has improved his game immensely.

So D is where we must focus our offseason moves IMO. That and the Kick Return game.<BR>

Cannibal
12-11-2000, 10:08 PM
Put Mazlowski in the middle and go after the best Outside Linebacker we can get our hands on the draft. <P>

Cannibal
12-11-2000, 10:15 PM
Here's a guy they need to consider drafting in the first round if they get the opportunity. His stats are simply incredible.

Dan Morgan

6'3" / 225# / 4.6 / Miami #44

TACKLES / TACKLES FOR LOSS / SACKS / INT
Freshman: 105 / 4 / 3 / 0
Sophomore: 150 / 10 / 2 / 0
Junior: 139 / 15 / 5 / 0
Senior: 138 / 15 / 4 / 2

COMMENTS: Productive! Intelligent. Athletic. Experienced and durable, has started since freshman season. Active. Instinctive. Sure tackler. Quick to read and react. Changes directions quickly. Hurricanes all-time tackle leader. Moves to middle linebacker as a senior due to the unfortunate loss of Nate Webster. Lacks size and must add strength. JUNIOR: Finished second in tackles to Nate Webster. SOPHOMORE: Started all 11 games again leading the team in tackles. FRESHMAN: Started eight of 11 games at right linebacker and led the team in tackles. MAJOR: Theater. HIGH SCHOOL: Played RB, LB, and SS. Recorded 60 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 interceptions, and 2 fumble recoveries while averaging 7.4 yards/carry for 907 yards and 4 touchdowns as a senior. Lettered in football and track. HOMETOWN: Coral Springs, Florida. BORN: December 19, 1978.

58Forever
12-12-2000, 08:56 AM
Without reading the other posts:

This is what I and a lot of other people said he should do from day one...if he had we'd be in the playoffs...Gun is slow, if he figures it out this year, maybe next year he'll know what to do...if he's still here..

Yes, I'd be happy with TRich as a feature back...but I'd rather have him as a FB with a quality HB like Barber, Garner or Dillon...