PDA

View Full Version : removing a impacted wisdom tooth

big nasty kcnut
08-05-2006, 12:22 AM
what should i use to do it and what to use deaden the pain.

cdcox
08-05-2006, 12:22 AM
a dentist?

Miles
08-05-2006, 12:24 AM
I hear there are people known as dentists for such things.

noa
08-05-2006, 12:24 AM
I chug a jug of moonshine before performing any dental work on myself.

Phobia
08-05-2006, 12:25 AM
A brutal car accident might do the trick but my personal favorite is a bowl of antifreeze.

Miles
08-05-2006, 12:26 AM
You may try one that is adults only. The magazines in the waiting room will be better but be sure to note whether your shirt is tucked or not.

Halfcan
08-05-2006, 12:29 AM
A coconut and a iceskate worked for Tom Hanks.

cdcox
08-05-2006, 12:30 AM
A coconut and a iceskate worked for Tom Hanks.

That was only a cavity.

greg63
08-05-2006, 12:35 AM
a dentist?

Ditto!

....Seriously.

big nasty kcnut
08-05-2006, 12:39 AM
Well dentist cost money and it been driving me crazy the past two night i have to do something.

greg63
08-05-2006, 01:04 AM
Well dentist cost money and it been driving me crazy the past two night i have to do something.

I'm not trying to be flip here but, pay the dentist. Trust me you don't want to do this yourself.

Halfcan
08-05-2006, 01:36 AM
You could just buy Dentistry for Dumbasses-it worked for my cousin Cletus.

Halfcan
08-05-2006, 01:42 AM
I took my own stiches out of my leg with the finger nail clippers tonight.

Miles
08-05-2006, 02:08 AM
I took my own stiches out of my leg with the finger nail clippers tonight.

Only time I had them it was reallly cheap to get them taken out.

Moooo
08-05-2006, 02:17 AM
I chug a jug of moonshine before performing any dental work on myself.

To thin out the blood all nice and good before creating an open sore :)

Moooo

Miles
08-05-2006, 02:26 AM
Is it safe.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/95/Marathon_Man2.jpg

BigOlChiefsfan
08-05-2006, 06:58 AM
Find a dental school if there's one in the area. Failing that, pay the dentist. Pulling a tooth is one of their cheaper jobs and you DO NOT want to do this yourself.

Phobia
08-05-2006, 07:29 AM
If you haven't seen a dentist how in the heck do you know it is impacted? You wouldn't happen to be British?

greg63
08-05-2006, 07:43 AM
Find a dental school if there's one in the area. Failing that, pay the dentist. Pulling a tooth is one of their cheaper jobs and you DO NOT want to do this yourself.

If you haven't seen a dentist how in the heck do you know it is impacted? You wouldn't happen to be British?

Yup, and exactly.

penguinz
08-05-2006, 09:45 AM
You might want to go to an Oral surgeon, not just a dentist.

Rain Man
08-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Whatever you decide to do, would you please film it for youtube?

Wile_E_Coyote
08-05-2006, 10:54 AM
with Sivtek(sp?) & Turley in Riverfalls, phone Eddie Freeman. Pussy might be the key word to use

big nasty kcnut
08-05-2006, 12:37 PM
I couldn't get it out so i stop and had a good night sleep. I guess i messed with it enough to stop the pain.

Adept Havelock
08-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Is it safe?

[edit]. Damn....Miles beat me to it. :banghead:

jidar
08-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Dont pull your own teeth man. If you use a tool and don't know what you're doing you have a high liklihood of breaking the tooth off in your mouth, and that will be a level of pain you didn't know existed.

R&GHomer
08-05-2006, 12:54 PM
If the tooth is impacted your out of your mind to do it yourself. A lot of times it requires an oral surgeon to get it out. You do NOT want to do this yourself. Go to a dental school or something.

KcMizzou
08-05-2006, 12:59 PM
This ranks up there with some of the worst ideas of all time.

Bugeater
08-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Wow, this thread is sending chills up my spine. :shake:

big nasty kcnut
08-05-2006, 01:15 PM
ok i won't do it. Just hate being in pain.

Bugeater
08-05-2006, 01:19 PM
You could try Anbesol to give you some temporary relief. It helped me when one of my wisdom teeth went haywire one time when I was out of town.

Phobia
08-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Ibuprofin is a miracle drug for toothaches. In fact, crush some up and put it right where it hurts.

|Zach|
08-05-2006, 09:15 PM
http://www.stomptokyo.com/img-m2/little-shop-b.jpg

yeti
08-05-2006, 09:28 PM
go to an oral surgeon if they are impacted, and have them give you general anesthesia, the kind where you go to sleep. That way you wake up later, feel tired as hell but don't remember a damn thing.

chief2000
08-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Try local drugstore for temporary fillings and clove extract.

Give me some rep if this is useful.

Had mine taken out couple of months ago. Vicodane !

KILLER_CLOWN
08-05-2006, 11:45 PM
I've heard of a simple way to get rid of the pain, trying dropping something really heavy on your foot then you will temporarily forget any other pain you may have. For a more permanent solution either see an Oral Surgeon or use a shotgun.

milkman
08-05-2006, 11:50 PM
A shotgun blast from just under the chin at the right angle would take care of removing the impacted wisdom tooth, and deaden the pain, all in one quick pull of the trigger.

Good luck.

chefsos
08-05-2006, 11:54 PM
The Stooges took care of this issue with a string and a doorknob.

Amnorix
08-06-2006, 12:02 AM
Let's be real here -- you're not going to be able to get it out yourself, and the pain isn't going to stop until you get it fixed.

So get thee to a dentist, and stop screwing around.

alanm
08-06-2006, 12:19 AM
I can't believe no one has touched on the obvious. If he has a impacted wisdom tooth it means it's infected. No dentist is going to pull it that day. He's going to put him on Keflex or something simillar for at least a week to get rid of the infection first. Of course kcnut's tooth is going to feel normal and the pain and infection will be gone. He may decide to not even go back to have it pulled. That is until it flares up again. :D

Phobia
08-06-2006, 12:23 AM
I can't believe everybody is being so nice about the whole ordeal. Anybody else would have been roasted mercilessly. Dude is talking about pulling his own wisdom tooth by himself. I have a feeling he'd have more success performing a self-vasectomy.

alanm
08-06-2006, 12:28 AM
I can't believe everybody is being so nice about the whole ordeal. Anybody else would have been roasted mercilessly. Dude is talking about pulling his own wisdom tooth by himself. I have a feeling he'd have more success performing a self-vasectomy.
Oh.. you mean advice like taking a chisle to the base of the tooth and trying to pop it out after he sliced open the infectious sack surrounding the tooth to let it drain. That kind of advice? ROFL

|Zach|
08-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Oh.. you mean advice like taking a chisle to the base of the tooth and trying to pop it out after he sliced open the infectious sack surrounding the tooth to let it drain. That kind of advice? ROFL
This post was upsetting.

alanm
08-06-2006, 12:37 AM
This post was upsetting.
Thank you. ROFL

SBK
08-06-2006, 01:41 AM
I have one now. Put anbesol on a q tip and rub it all over the area. Take some ibuprofen. That will deaden the pain for a short time.

Kerberos
08-06-2006, 04:33 AM
You might want to go to an Oral surgeon, not just a dentist.

Yup

Most Oral Surgeons only take referals from dentists for extractions.

Yet "Another" money pit in the health care system from the time you go to the dentist and pay his deductable to have him send your unsuspecting ass to the oral surgeon.

I just had all four wisdom teeth pulled in May. I advise against this to ANYONE needing wisdom teeth pulled. Do one side of your mouth and then the other. If it costs you more in the long run JUST PAY IT.

I was sure I could do the MANLY thing and get all four pulled at once without problem or too much pain. :shake:

Like a fuggin retard I opted to do it on a Friday thinking I could recover by Monday and be back to work. :shake:

By Sunday the pain meds prescribed where gone and I had developed dry socket on BOTH sides of my jaw. That was some of the WORST F***ing pain I can remember in a long time.

Whatever you decide to do make sure you tell that sadistic F*** (Oral Surgeon) that you want dimeral (sp?) or something with LOTS of codeine in it! :thumb:

BTW don't tell them how much tolerance you have to pain. Really bad idea. :shake:

cdcox
08-06-2006, 07:22 AM
Yup

Yet "Another" money pit in the health care system from the time you go to the dentist and pay his deductable to have him send your unsuspecting ass to the oral surgeon.

I just had all four wisdom teeth pulled in May. I advise against this to ANYONE needing wisdom teeth pulled. Do one side of your mouth and then the other. If it costs you more in the long run JUST PAY IT.

I was sure I could do the MANLY thing and get all four pulled at once without problem or too much pain. :shake:

Like a fuggin retard I opted to do it on a Friday thinking I could recover by Monday and be back to work. :shake:

By Sunday the pain meds prescribed where gone and I had developed dry socket on BOTH sides of my jaw. That was some of the WORST F***ing pain I can remember in a long time.

Whatever you decide to do make sure you tell that sadistic F*** (Oral Surgeon) that you want dimeral (sp?) or something with LOTS of codeine in it! :thumb:

BTW don't tell them how much tolerance you have to pain. Really bad idea. :shake:

If you manage to avoid the whole dry socket's senario, getting all 4 yanked at once is a walk in the park. I didn't even finish my pain meds. Worst thing in holding that gauze in your mouth for half a day.

Regardng the dry sockets, did you smoke during the recovery?

My wife has had 4 wisdom teeth removed and still has 2 left in her noggin. She was blessed with a extra one on both the top and the bottom of one side of her mouth.

phisherman
08-06-2006, 07:31 AM
sounds like you were bullshi**ing the doctor by telling him you had a high tolerance to pain huh?

also, if you were smoking, you deserve the pain of dry sockets...i was a cigarette smoker when i got mine removed and i was so groggy from taking 2 vicodin every 6 hours that i didn't even want to smoke...

phisherman
08-06-2006, 07:31 AM
then again, i guess i didn't tell the doctor about my "high tolerance for pain"

Braincase
08-06-2006, 08:06 AM
I was a student at WSU when I had to have mine removed. I went to Philip Zivnuska. He was just out of the Air Force when I saw him, so you gotta figure he's done a bunch (and he has). It was 20 years ago, but if he's still around, I'd recommend him.

Kerberos
08-06-2006, 10:59 AM
If you manage to avoid the whole dry socket's senario, getting all 4 yanked at once is a walk in the park. I didn't even finish my pain meds. Worst thing in holding that gauze in your mouth for half a day.

Regardng the dry sockets, did you smoke during the recovery?

My wife has had 4 wisdom teeth removed and still has 2 left in her noggin. She was blessed with a extra one on both the top and the bottom of one side of her mouth.

I have never smoked cigs or alike and haven't had any gonga in years so I don't think that had anything to do with my dry socket.

If anything it has more to with my age I suspect. I was telling the WU that 10 years ago I could have done this without a problem. Getting old sucks!

If I had to do it all over again I would have done one side of the mouth and two weeks later done the other. Not eathing anything solid for 6 days kinda sucked after the first 12 hours.

Demonpenz
08-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Thats alot of money for something you can just do yourself

cdcox
08-06-2006, 11:43 AM
I can't believe no one has touched on the obvious. If he has a impacted wisdom tooth it means it's infected. No dentist is going to pull it that day. He's going to put him on Keflex or something simillar for at least a week to get rid of the infection first. Of course kcnut's tooth is going to feel normal and the pain and infection will be gone. He may decide to not even go back to have it pulled. That is until it flares up again. :D

Impacted just means it hasn't broken though the gum. Maybe it is coming in sideways or something. Since he is having pain, it could be infected, but not necessarily so. Are you thinking of an abscessed tooth?

chief2000
08-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Yup

I had mine taken out a couple of months ago.

Doc perscribed Hydrocodone : the alternative to vicodin.

Don't know why you would run out. The pain wasn't that bad after a few days.

cdcox
08-06-2006, 12:03 PM

I hear dry sockets are an interesting experience.

alanm
08-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Impacted just means it hasn't broken though the gum. Maybe it is coming in sideways or something. Since he is having pain, it could be infected, but not necessarily so. Are you thinking of an abscessed tooth?
I guess abcessed yeah. But if he's in a ton of pain it only stands to reason that it's infected. And if it is the dentist won't pull it until the infection is gone.

alanm
08-06-2006, 01:05 PM

Hydrocodone is the generic name for Vicodin.

Adept Havelock
08-06-2006, 01:28 PM
I hear dry sockets are an interesting experience.

Try substituting "living hell" for "interesting experience", and you are a bit closer to the truth of it. I went through it once with one, and that was bad enough. I remember once a neighbor had had some teeth removed, and decided he was smarter than his dentist. He used to gargle w/ Hydrogen Peroxide and water. He decided to do it that evening. Instantly, multiple dry sockets.

I heard the scream from next door. Poor stupid bastard.

JBucc
08-06-2006, 01:36 PM
All I know is I'm glad I had enough room back there for mine

cdcox
08-06-2006, 01:40 PM
All I know is I'm glad I had enough room back there for mine

Mine came in fine. Had them for 40 years without any problems. Then I got a cavity in one and the dentist said it would be hard get to to fill. She talked me into getting all 4 yanked. It wasn't that bad.

KcMizzou
08-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Out of curiosity, what is a "dry socket"?

Demonpenz
08-06-2006, 02:10 PM
A dry socket is:

Any socket in which a patient is having pain due to the loss of the blood clot thus exposing the bone to air, food, and fluids along with an offensive odor. This often occurs two or more days after an extraction and can last about 5-6 days. It is normal to have soreness and discomfort following an extraction.
However, pain should be lessening by the second day.

This condition exist when a blood clot is dislodged from the surgery site thus exposing the bone and fine nerve endings. The blood clot helps in the stopping of bleeding and lays the foundation or framework for new tissue and bone to develop over a two-month healing process. This condition is more common in the mandibular area and in back teeth due to poorer circulation in this area, with wisdom teeth being the most common site. Dry socket delays the healing process.

It usually takes gum tissue about 3-4 weeks to heal where as the bone can take up to six months to heal.

Up To Top

This condition is most often found:

In individuals who smoke before their recommended time. Smoking: decreases healing, decrease blood supply to the protective blood clot, brings toxic products to the area, injuries the gum tissue and the negative pressure of sucking removes the blood clot from the surgery site.

If you do not care for your extraction site as instructed by staff.

Not following your home care instruction.

Sucking action from smoking, sneezing, coughing, spitting or sucking, within the first 24 hours.

Women taking oral contraceptives are more susceptible.

Up To Top

Prevention of dry socket:
bullet

Women who use birth control pills or have their teeth removed in the first 22 days of the menstrual cycle are twice as likely to develop dry socket after an extraction. Schedule extractions during the last week of your menstrual cycle (days 23 through 28) ** when estrogen levels are low or inactive.
bullet

Avoid drinking through a straw
bullet

Avoid smoking, it contaminates the extraction site
bullet

Avoid excessive mouth rinsing, it interferes with blood clotting
bullet

Keeping food from impacting in this area. Chew on the other side of your mouth and gently rinse your mouth with warm salt water after the first 24 hours.

A "socket" is the area where the tooth was removed.

If you have a dry socket contact us immediately.

Up To Top

Treatment could include the following:
bullet

Medication applied to the site.
bullet

Clove oil technique.
bullet

Gauze with medication.
bullet

Additional home care instructions.
bullet

Applying topical anesthetic.
bullet

Alvogyl by Septodont

Patients usually notice pain relief in about 5-10 minutes after the dressing is applied.

We have experienced fewer cases of dry socket since every patient is asked to rinse with an antimicrobial mouthwash and each patient is instructed on how to care for their extraction site through CD ROM patient education, verbal instruction and home care instruction handouts. We highly recommend patients use Breath RX in their daily oral hygiene routine to help control oral bacterial

Continue these instructions for the next 3-4 days:
bullet

Good oral health care.
bullet

Avoid food with any residuals...popcorn, peanuts and pasta
bullet

Eat soft foods...mashed potatoes, clear or cream soups that don't contain any residue, puddings.

Up To Top

News Updates on Dry Socket

Oral contraceptive may increase pain after wisdom tooth extraction

That tests on 267 women showed that those on the birth control pill were more susceptible than non-users to both postoperative pain and a condition known as 'dry socket.' In this condition, normal healing of the vacant tooth socket is delayed by the failure of a blood clot to form. Infection instead causes the socket to remain empty. In the study, pain on the day after the operation was experienced by 30 percent of pill takers compared to just 11 percent of non-users. Five days after the operation the difference was 14 percent compared to 5 percent. The researchers said these results suggest that the pill may reduce the pain threshold. The differential was similar when the development of dry socket was compared. Here, 11 percent of pill users were affected compared to 4 percent of non-pill users.
SOURCE: British Dental Journal 2003;194:453-455.

Up To Top

JBucc
08-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Out of curiosity, what is a "dry socket"?I had to look it up myself but I think it's basically when the blood clot that forms after a tooth is pulled falls out and the nerves become exposed.

KcMizzou
08-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Ouch. That sounds like it could suck.

Thank you, sir.

chief2000
08-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Dry Sockets
One of the more common complications a person can experience with wisdom tooth extraction is that of developing a "dry socket." It is thought that dry sockets occur when either an adequate blood clot has failed to form in the extracted tooth's socket or the blood clot that did form has been dislodged and lost. Since the formation of a blood clot is an important part of the healing process, healing is delayed.

The typical dry socket produces a dull pain that doesn't appear until three or four days after the tooth has been extracted. The pain can be moderate to severe. There is often a foul odor associated with this condition.

A dry socket needs to be treated by your dentist. Usually a dentist will place a medicated dressing in the dry socket that can soothe and moderates the pain. This dressing is typically removed and replaced every 24 hours until the person's symptoms subside. Dry sockets are found to occur more often in women (even more so in those taking oral contraceptives), persons over the age of 30, and smokers.

JimNasium
08-06-2006, 03:13 PM
You could always join the military. I lost all four of mine courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard. No gas and no narcotics. They just shot me up with lidocaine and yanked those babys out. They did give my Tylenol and ice packs. I was back on full duty the next day doing pushups and running. The rest of these guys are pussys.

Phobia
08-06-2006, 04:32 PM
You got lidocaine? The USMC uses it as an opportunity for anti-interrogation training.

JimNasium
08-06-2006, 05:26 PM
You got lidocaine? The USMC uses it as an opportunity for anti-interrogation training.
You jar heads scare the shit out of me.