PDA

View Full Version : New Tom Petty

Oz_Chief
08-05-2006, 09:01 AM
Anybody heard this? I think it is called "Highway Companion"?

If you have time, any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sam Hall
08-05-2006, 09:16 PM
I've only heard samples. It's a mello album. You should probably listen before you buy. Some people are saying it's not very good without the Heartbreakers.

Nightwish
08-05-2006, 09:18 PM
I heard something on KSHE the other day that sounded like a Tom Petty song I'd never heard before, so it may have been off his new one. At least it sounded like his voice, but the DJ didn't announce who it was or the song title, so I can't be sure. It did sound a little boring, though.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-06-2006, 01:20 AM
I've heard one song, and it blows.

phisherman
08-06-2006, 07:44 AM
generic pop by a bad bob dylan impersonator

Nightwish
08-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Is there such a thing as a "good" Bob Dylan impersonator? By definition, a "good" Bob Dylan impersonator would have to see really good songs in a really bad voice.

phisherman
08-06-2006, 11:49 AM
that's exactly right...

dylan's voice isn't good by any means, but i can't imagine anyone else signing some of his songs

StcChief
08-06-2006, 12:04 PM
I have my doubts about his solo ability.

I'll stick with my lp replacments with his Anthology 2 CD set.

Brock
08-06-2006, 05:47 PM

At least Tom Petty puts out a good record more often than every 20 years.

Reaper16
08-06-2006, 06:13 PM
boo, sir.

KS Smitty
08-13-2006, 01:00 AM
a'ight, I'm gonna be the dissenting opinion on this. Mr, Smitty and I both love this album! Yes it is mellow, yes it does not rock, and yes many will compare it to Dylan. But (and it may be our age talking) it is one of the best storytelling albums we've heard in a long time.
It reminds me of albums produced in the late 60's/early 70's as far as the style of music, the stories told are pretty cool, all in all I'd say it's a "groovy kicky feel-good" set of songs.
The songs are varied and remind me of Eleanor Rigby Beatles type tunes, early Pink Floyd, and generally a folk-type theme seems to run thru it.
Let me also say that we have enjoyed "Prairie Wind" by Neil Young and "We Shall Overcome The Seeger Sessions" by Springsteen.
Personally I highly recommend it, especially for the folks that followed Petty in his early years.
Please give it a listen before writing it off.

Reaper16
08-13-2006, 01:25 AM
I'm listening to it for the first time right now, and I like it. It's pretty average, probably, but a nice listen.

Sam Hall
08-13-2006, 08:23 AM
I didn't mean to sound negative when I said the album was mellow. On a side note, if you had to be stranded on a desert island and could only bring 20 CDs, you would want Wildflowers.