PDA

View Full Version : Pick your top 3 Metal albums!

ChiefFripp
08-05-2006, 06:05 PM
I know there are some Metalheads here which is half the reason I come to Chiefsplanet.
The rules are simple, you must judge the previous poster's choices before you post your own. Make it 3 seperate bands please.

My choices...

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son-Iron Maiden (Maiden at their best and right before they turned into Grim Reaper)

Danzig-Danzig (simple and to the point Metal..without that AC/DC rawkishness)

Master of Puppets-Metallica

3 pretty obvious choices I know...

Adept Havelock
08-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Solid choices there.

Metallica-Master of Puppets: Great choice, but I prefer the Black album.
Iron Maiden 7'th son: Loved Seventh Son, but still prefer Number of the Beast.
Danzig- Great band, but I've never really got into them. I'll agree with the "simple and to the point" metal sentiment

My three:

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

Nightwish
08-05-2006, 06:49 PM
Solid choices there.

Metallica-Master of Puppets: Great choice, but I prefer the Black album.
Iron Maiden 7'th son: Loved Seventh Son, but still prefer Number of the Beast.
Danzig- Great band, but I've never really got into them. I'll agree with the "simple and to the point" metal sentiment

My three:

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Queensryche - Operation MindcrimeAll three good choices. I've never really considered Ozzy era Sabbath to be "heavy metal," exactly. Dio was the first, imo, to really take them in that direction from the gloomy hard rock that typified the Ozzy era. But of the Ozzy era, Paranoid is arguably the quintessential Sabbath album. SFV is still my favorite Priest album, with Defenders, British Steel and Sin After Sin running neck and neck for second place. I would put it in the top five metal albums of all time, I think. Mindcrime is without a doubt the crowning achievement of Queensryche. Many people say that honor belongs to Empire, but I thought they went too commercial on that one. I'd definitely put Mindcrime in the top 10, I think. Here are my top 3, though:

Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys, Part 1 (ushered in the power metal era)

Iron Maiden - Powerslave (very difficult choice between that and Piece of Mind, with NoB running not far behind)

Metallica - Master of Puppets (the last and best Cliff Burton offering, 'nuff said)

old_geezer
08-05-2006, 07:10 PM
All three good choices. I've never really considered Ozzy era Sabbath to be "heavy metal," exactly. Dio was the first, imo, to really take them in that direction from the gloomy hard rock that typified the Ozzy era. But of the Ozzy era, Paranoid is arguably the quintessential Sabbath album. SFV is still my favorite Priest album, with Defenders, British Steel and Sin After Sin running neck and neck for second place. I would put it in the top five metal albums of all time, I think. Mindcrime is without a doubt the crowning achievement of Queensryche. Many people say that honor belongs to Empire, but I thought they went too commercial on that one. I'd definitely put Mindcrime in the top 10, I think. Here are my top 3, though:

Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys, Part 1 (ushered in the power metal era)

Iron Maiden - Powerslave (very difficult choice between that and Piece of Mind, with NoB running not far behind)

Metallica - Master of Puppets (the last and best Cliff Burton offering, 'nuff said)

OK, Be kind to a newcomer to Metal. I'm now realizing what I've missed up to now. As a newbie, my knowledge is very limited.
Helloween - have not heard anything by them yet :(
Iron Maiden - Powerslave is on my short list to buy, but I also haven't heard that album yet.
Master of Puppets. - Metallica is one of my favorite metal bands right now; I prefer the Black Album however.

My top three as of now;

1. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
2. Megadeath - Countdown to Destruction
3. AC/DC - Back in Black.

I'm currently listening to Kamelot - The Black Halo and it's pretty darned good if you ask me. :)

Nightwish
08-05-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm currently listening to Kamelot - The Black Halo and it's pretty darned good if you ask me. :)Good album! But their best, imo, is probably either Karma or The 4th Legacy. Check those out, they're great!

Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread.

Moooo
08-05-2006, 09:00 PM
My favorites...

Metallica - ...And Justice For All (I like it, that's all I know)
Motorhead - The Best Of (I know, I'm a cheater!)
Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses

I don't know if Type O is the type of answers you were looking for, but they are cool, and I think they're metal.

Moooo

QuikSsurfer
08-05-2006, 09:24 PM
picked up that new type-o-negative dvd today at best buy.. good setlist.

metal

glassjaw - everything you wanted to know about silence
between the buried and me - the silent circus
glass casket - we are gathered here today

ChiefFripp
08-05-2006, 09:52 PM

metal

Other than Between the Buried and Me ,those are probably a bit too obscure, good luck having anyone besides Reaper comment on those.

Reaper16
08-05-2006, 09:55 PM

metal

I've never heard of Glassjaw. Metal Archives hasn't either.So I checked thier MySpace and, yeah, not metal at all.
I like BtBaM. That's actually high praise from me.
I haven't heard anything from Glass Casket, but from what i hear they are a well-regarded death/metalcore band.

It was difficult for me to rate that 3. Is this your 3 favorite metal albums? Or what you think are the 3 best? I think most people are answering as their favs, so I will too.

My 3 favorite metal albums:
Ayreon - "The Human Equation" (Perfectly executed concept, enthralling folk-based blend of styles, great vocal and instrumental performances)
Opeth - "Still Life" (Haunting. Chilling. Explosive. Serene. Transcendent.)
Agalloch - "The Mantle" (Haunting. Chilling. Ambient. Serene. Transcendent.)
Special mention goes out to Sigh's "Imaginary Sonicscape" and Pain of Salvation's "BE."

chagrin
08-05-2006, 10:00 PM
This is very difficult. We all know this is going to be a sliding scale based upon age for the most part, right?

Not in any order:

Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind tied with Number Of The Beast (I am not going by production value)

Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance (Defenders Of The Faith real close by this one)

Anthrax - Among The Living (I always considered them at this stage in their history as thrash metal, I would like to list Death Angel Act III as well, but it's simply not "heavy metal" in my opinion)

This list is flawed because Power Metal and Thrash are not simply "heavy Metal", but sub catergories of.

Nod to Nightwish - I am listening to Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part I right now (Twilight Of The Gods). It's the same one I have had since 1987. Part II was okay but nothing as good as that.

We should do a thread on thrash and power metal as well.

Reaper16
08-05-2006, 10:08 PM
This is very difficult. We all know this is going to be a sliding scale based upon age for the most part, right?

Not in any order:

Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind tied with Number Of The Beast (I am not going by production value)

Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance (Defenders Of The Faith real close by this one)

Anthrax - Among The Living (I always considered them at this stage in their history as thrash metal, I would like to list Death Angel Act III as well, but it's simply not "heavy metal" in my opinion)

This list is flawed because Power Metal and Thrash are not simply "heavy Metal", but sub catergories of.

Nod to Nightwish - I am listening to Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part I right now (Twilight Of The Gods). It's the same one I have had since 1987. Part II was okay but nothing as good as that.

We should do a thread on thrash and power metal as well.
Obviously, if the thread asks for metal, then any form will work. I have a progressive album, prog-death album, and folk-black album.

Nightwish
08-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Have you heard the newest one, Keeper of the Seven Keys: The Legacy? It came out October 31st, last year. It's really good, possibly the best they've done with Andi Deris on vocals, though still not as good as Keeper I, in my opinion.

SLAG
08-05-2006, 10:34 PM
are we going to include industrial into the metal mix or are we that picky?

Nightwish
08-05-2006, 10:37 PM
are we going to include industrial into the metal mix or are we that picky?
If it's industrial metal, why not? There's industrial, and there's industrial metal. Rammstein, for instance, is industrial metal.

SLAG
08-05-2006, 10:39 PM
So many bands come to mind...

i tend to mention bands that have not been mentioned..

i would say...

NIN- The Fragile is a borderline Metal but really More Industrial album.. (but i love it so i have to mention it...)

PM5k- Tonight the Stars Revlot

and STATIC X-Wisconson Death Trip

are TOP NOTCH metal albums

Moooo
08-05-2006, 11:05 PM
So many bands come to mind...

i tend to mention bands that have not been mentioned..

i would say...

NIN- The Fragile is a borderline Metal but really More Industrial album.. (but i love it so i have to mention it...)

PM5k- Tonight the Stars Revlot

and STATIC X-Wisconson Death Trip

are TOP NOTCH metal albums

Dang you! If you count NIN then Downward Spiral is by far my favorite. That album is so emotionally driven and full of so many complex thoughts and feelings. Combine that with the brilliance he brings in his keyboarding, and I'm sold.

Moooo

SLAG
08-05-2006, 11:17 PM
Dang you! If you count NIN then Downward Spiral is by far my favorite. That album is so emotionally driven and full of so many complex thoughts and feelings. Combine that with the brilliance he brings in his keyboarding, and I'm sold.

Moooo

Downward spirial was what propelled them into main stream...

The Fragile was the homecoming... back to the roots and core for reznor

Moooo
08-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Downward spirial was what propelled them into main stream...

The Fragile was the homecoming... back to the roots and core for reznor

I know. I like it all, but Downward Spiral means a lot to me.

I am very emotionally attached to music, and strangely enough that album got me through some tough times.

"i do not want this" and "a warm place" are brilliant. Easily both are top 10 songs for me (if you count the latter as a song).

At one point I owned Halo 1 through Halo 12. Then I gave up and lost most of them.

Moooo

trndobrd
08-05-2006, 11:32 PM
Iron Maiden : Powerslave (Eddie!)

Dio : The Last in Line (he introduced the 'horns' \m/ to the world)

Metallica : Ride the Lightning (Fade to Black, For Whom the Bell Tolls and Cliff Burton)

(rep for the first person to tell me what these all have in common)

Nightwish
08-05-2006, 11:55 PM

Metallica : Ride the Lightning (Fade to Black, For Whom the Bell Tolls and Cliff Burton)

I doubt it's what you're looking for, but they are each the second consecutive album recorded with that particular lineup (Powerslave was Maiden's fifth album, but the second with Nicko McBrain on drums).

Reaper16
08-06-2006, 12:26 AM

They all came out in '84. That may not be what you had in mind, but it is true.

Rudy lost the toss
08-06-2006, 02:38 AM
I guess we've all given up on the judging, so I'll just name my 3 favorites.

Iced Earth- Alive in Athens
Lamb of God/BTP- BTP
Dio- Holy Diver

I've also checked out Dragonforce since they've entered mainstream and I like Sonic Firestorm. I don't like it enough to be in my top 3, but it is worthy of Honorable Mention.

I don't follow music as much as I'd like to, but those are my 3 favorites from a relatively short list.

StcChief
08-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Old School:
Led Zeppelin I the flaming blimp (Took blues to Metal)
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Blue Oyster Cult - I

alpha_omega
08-06-2006, 03:26 PM
in no particular order:

Dio: Holy Diver
Scorpions: Blackout
Ozzy: Blizzard of Ozz

Demonpenz
08-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Korn life is peachy
Limp bizkit hot dog flavored water
Sugar ray self titled

chagrin
08-06-2006, 05:20 PM

You like them
:p

headsnap
08-06-2006, 05:27 PM

I doubt it's what you're looking for, but each of them have the letter 'L' in their titles. :shrug:

Nightwish
08-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Korn life is peachy
Limp bizkit hot dog flavored water
Sugar ray self titledOne of those is metal (agreed, though, that Sugar Ray had some metal among their very early material)?

Bowser
08-06-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around "folk black metal".

Demonpenz
08-06-2006, 07:05 PM
One of those is metal (agreed, though, that Sugar Ray had some metal among their very early material)?

Evedently you haven't heard Every Morning or Fly. Hardest thrash metal ever!

Reaper16
08-06-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around "folk black metal".
Listen to Agalloch's "The Mantle." That's exactly what it sounds like. (Besides, Black Metal has a long history of incorporating folk elements.)

Nightwish
08-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Evedently you haven't heard Every Morning or Fly. Hardest thrash metal ever!
I saw Sugar Ray perform live at Six Flags a couple years ago. Actually, they put on a decent concert, and they did perform some of their early metal stuff. One song in particular I remember (wasn't thrash, but it was still pretty damn heavy, almost speed metal) was about an old car that Mark McGrath used to own, as I recall. Folks hear songs like "Every Morning" (which is practically boy band pop) and assume that's all they do, but they are one of the more variagated bands out there, and some of it definitely ventures into the metal category. I'll give them their props.

trndobrd
08-06-2006, 07:21 PM
They all came out in '84. That may not be what you had in mind, but it is true.

Excellent year for Metal! Give the man some rep!

Reaper16
08-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Excellent year for Metal! Give the man some rep!
Yes! I win!

Nightwish
08-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Listen to Agalloch's "The Mantle." That's exactly what it sounds like. (Besides, Black Metal has a long history of incorporating folk elements.)
I've got a couple albums on my hard drive that I'd definitely consider "folk black metal":

Rivendell - "The Ancient Glory"
Whispering Forest - "The Book of Beasts"

I haven't heard them in awhile, but I think Spiral Architect also fits into that category, don't they?

Over-Head
08-06-2006, 07:48 PM
GnR- Appetite For Destruction
From the opening Rif of Welcome to the Jungle to the last outro of Rocket Queen, this albume simply rocks!

"You got another thing coming" need we say more?

Cinderela - Night Songs
Glam at itís best, and theirs quite coincidently

Swanman
08-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Here are my four favorites:

Machine Head - "Through the Ashes of Empires" - by far my favorite album of the last several years.

Fear Factory - "Demanufacture"

Metallica - "...And Justice For All"

Megadeth - "Rust in Peace"

htismaqe
08-07-2006, 08:37 AM
"That's not metal!"

"That's not metal!"

"That's not metal!"

jspchief
08-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Poison - Look What the Cat Dragged In
Firehouse - Firehouse
White Lion - Pride

HC_Chief
08-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Slayer: Reign In Blood
Deicide: Deicide
Voi Vod: Dimension Hatross

MOhillbilly
08-07-2006, 12:08 PM
reign in blood- far as i care thats the list.

No Mercy- widespread bloodshed/ love runs red

Battalion of Saint- 2nd coming.

if you dont have these youre into something other than rock n' roll

Molitoth
08-07-2006, 12:23 PM

metal

Glassjaw is nice, but not metal.

Demonpenz
08-07-2006, 12:24 PM
I saw Sugar Ray perform live at Six Flags a couple years ago. Actually, they put on a decent concert, and they did perform some of their early metal stuff. One song in particular I remember (wasn't thrash, but it was still pretty damn heavy, almost speed metal) was about an old car that Mark McGrath used to own, as I recall. Folks hear songs like "Every Morning" (which is practically boy band pop) and assume that's all they do, but they are one of the more variagated bands out there, and some of it definitely ventures into the metal category. I'll give them their props.

that song is RPM yes their old stuff was pretty hard

Nightwish
08-07-2006, 01:14 PM

Ah damn! Except for the Slayer, I haven't heard of either of the other two. Guess I need to go back to rock school!

htismaqe
08-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Ah damn! Except for the Slayer, I haven't heard of either of the other two. Guess I need to go back to rock school!

Rock school won't help you. Metal is an artform all it's own, more influenced by classical and jazz than rock. Haven't you been paying attention?

Reaper16
08-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Rock school won't help you. Metal is an artform all it's own, more influenced by classical and jazz than rock. Haven't you been paying attention?
Such an astute learner! You get a gold star. With glitter. :)
EDIT: I'm taking away the glitter. The word "more" should be replaced with "equally."

Frosty
08-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Maybe not "best", but by far my favorites:

Holocaust The Nightcomers

Tank Filth Hounds of Hades

Ozzy Blizzard of Ozz

htismaqe
08-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Such an astute learner! You get a gold star. With glitter. :)
EDIT: I'm taking away the glitter. The word "more" should be replaced with "equally."

I can say with 100%, unequivocal, absolute determination, that "glitter" is NOT considered death metal. :D

sedated
08-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Best of Tiny Tim
A Chipmunks Christmas
The Singing Castrati

HC_Chief
08-07-2006, 05:06 PM
I can say with 100%, unequivocal, absolute determination, that "glitter" is NOT considered death metal. :D

heh, but coffee is!

{bear growl}Do you like coffee?{/bear growl}

"So let me get this straight, you throw these into hot water and the scream and turn red?"

"Yep"

"Ha ha! Awesome! That is the most metal thing I've ever heard!"

Bowser
08-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Has anybody nominated Pat Boone's "In a Metal Mood" yet?

Frosty
08-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Tank Filth Hounds of Hades

Hah! I found it online: http://vibrationsofdoom.com/test/Tank1.html

Brings back memories.

Her love is like draggin' your balls across barb wire *

ROFL I hear ya, bro ROFL

*opening line from "That's What Dreams Are Made Of"

ChiefsOne
08-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Ones that I have or can listen to over and over...

Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
Queensryche - Mindcrime
Metallica - Black

Tool if that is under the umbrella.

jlscorpio
08-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Holy shit, its hard to narrow it to 3. But any ways, here's 3 off the top of my head:

Metallica: Ride the Lightning--the album that seperated them from the Overkills and Exoduses of the metal world.

Slayer: Reign in Blood--to this day, nothing comes close in terms of sheer ferocity and perfect mixture of speed and power.

Sepultura: Chaos AD--I can't beleive this thread is 4 pages and no mention of this band in its original line-up. Awesome thrash grooves with some Brazilian beats thrown in. Along with Pantera, Sepultura carried the torch through the 90's when the genre was on life support.

Moooo
08-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Sepultura: Chaos AD--I can't beleive this thread is 4 pages and no mention of this band in its original line-up. Awesome thrash grooves with some Brazilian beats thrown in. Along with Pantera, Sepultura carried the torch through the 90's when the genre was on life support.

A million reps. I liked "Roots." Even though it wasn't as good of metal, I love things that sound different. Plus you have to give props to any album who credits the guy who played the, "Rusty Propane Tank."

Chaos AD was cool. "Biotech is Godzilla," and after reading the album liner, "Kiawas" (I hope I spelled that right) became a favorite.

Sepultura is cool cause they're metal, and then they have a message. Like in the Roots liner they had a site to fight torturing of people in 3rd world countries... I really like that sort of stuff.

Moooo

HC_Chief
08-09-2006, 02:19 PM
I thought about including Sepultura rather than Deicide, but Deicide is more "influential" IMO. They sparked a huge FL death metal revolution.

FTR, I am not a big fan of metal in general, but Sepultura is one of the best live bands I've ever seen. They are intense! I swear they play their songs twice as fast live.

chagrin
08-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Holy shit, its hard to narrow it to 3. But any ways, here's 3 off the top of my head:

"...Chaos AD What is this shit!..."

Excellent choice my friend

chagrin
08-09-2006, 02:40 PM
I am not satisfied with my choices, I over-analyzed the challenge and after reading this thread, realized how friggin impossible it is to name my 3 favorites. I don't have 3 favorites, I have several favorites, but I was thinking of "metal" and not thrash, speed, hardcore, grindcore, black, et-fuggin-cetera

Chiefnj
08-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Number of the Beast, Ride the Lightning and Blizzard of Oz.

Honorable mention to Diamondhead: Behold the Beginning.

Nightwish
08-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Can we get a shout-out for Nelson?

Nightwish
08-09-2006, 09:36 PM
The previous post was a joke, by the way. No death threats, please!

L.A. Chieffan
03-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Fuck it:

Rust in Peace
Master of Puppets
Vulgar Display of Power

Reaper16
03-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Fuck it:

Hangar 18
Master of Puppets
Vulgar Display of Power
Fuck you straight to Hell. First off, the incredible Megadeth album that has the song "Hangar 18" on it is called Rust In Peace. Second off, Pantera fucking blows.

L.A. Chieffan
03-25-2010, 10:47 PM
WHOOPS...my bad of course Rust in Peace.

and fuck you Pantera is/was bad ass

Reaper16
03-25-2010, 10:51 PM
WHOOPS...my bad of course Rust in Peace.

and fuck you Pantera is/was bad ass
Pantera stole their sound from a band called Exhorder. And they weren't very good thieves either.

L.A. Chieffan
03-25-2010, 10:52 PM
i never heard of Exhorder but they kick ass too then

Baby Lee
03-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Picking ONLY Three

Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'N'Roll
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire

Honorable Mention

AC-DC - Back in Black
Audioslave - Audioslave
Faith No More - The Real Thing
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Led Zeppelin - II
Nightwish - Oceanborn

Reaper16
03-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Picking ONLY Three

Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'N'Roll
Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire

Honorable Mention

AC-DC - Back in Black
Audioslave - Audioslave
Faith No More - The Real Thing
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Led Zeppelin - II
Nightwish - Oceanborn
Ugh.

Ebolapox
03-25-2010, 11:41 PM
any thread without dethklok isn't a thread I want to post in.

DaneMcCloud
03-25-2010, 11:45 PM
My favorite metal albums would be anything with death or murder in the title so that Reaper16 doesn't think less of me

Reaper16
03-25-2010, 11:47 PM
My favorite metal albums would be anything with death or murder in the title so that Reaper16 doesn't think less of me
Heh. I don't think the words death or murder would be in the titles of any album in my favorite 20 metal albums, let alone the favorite 3.

Ebolapox
03-25-2010, 11:48 PM
in all seriousness, it's what you define as metal really. I love me some otep, she's fucking metal. don't really have a favorite album of 'theirs.' staind before they got pussified (dysfunction) still blows my fucking mind--simply blows me away. not a huge fan of pantera overall, but love the song 'walk.' if you call rage metal, fuck it, my top three is:

1) evil empire
2) rage against the machine (debut)
3) the battle of LA

early/mid metallica rocked. korn is up there (early through follow the leader). it's hard for me to pick three because it's hard for me to define metal. can't consider audioslave metal, though, and I stop short of considering rage metal.

DaneMcCloud
03-25-2010, 11:50 PM
Heh. I don't think the words death or murder would be in the titles of any album in my favorite 20 metal albums, let alone the favorite 3.

I'm just kidding.

If I said off the top of my head:

1. Iron Maiden: Piece of Mind
2. Black Sabbath: Heaven and Hell
3. Megadeth: Countdown to Extinction

Would you hate me more or less?

Again, off the top of my head.

I'm not a fan of cookie-monster vocals, regardless of the lyrical content.

Reaper16
03-25-2010, 11:50 PM
in all seriousness, it's what you define as metal really. I love me some otep, she's fucking metal. don't really have a favorite album of 'theirs.' staind before they got pussified (dysfunction) still blows my fucking mind--simply blows me away. not a huge fan of pantera overall, but love the song 'walk.' if you call rage metal, fuck it, my top three is:

1) evil empire
2) rage against the machine (debut)
3) the battle of LA

early/mid metallica rocked. korn is up there (early through follow the leader). it's hard for me to pick three because it's hard for me to define metal. can't consider audioslave metal, though, and I stop short of considering rage metal.
Yeah, the only metal bands you mentioned in that post are Metallica and Pantera.

Ebolapox
03-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Yeah, the only metal bands you mentioned in that post are Metallica and Pantera.

that's just the issue. on voice alone, I consider Otep metal. her growl just scares the fuck out of me and makes my balls shrivel up.

Ebolapox
03-25-2010, 11:53 PM
and at one point, I guess you could consider korn metal--I don't though. they were an offshoot that fused with a bit of hip hop and formed 'numetal' (which mostly sucked as a genre)

DaneMcCloud
03-25-2010, 11:55 PM
and at one point, I guess you could consider korn metal--I don't though. they were an offshoot that fused with a bit of hip hop and formed 'numetal' (which mostly sucked as a genre)

I hate Korn and consider them a bunch of phonies, like Limp Bizkit

Reaper16
03-25-2010, 11:58 PM
that's just the issue. on voice alone, I consider Otep metal. her growl just scares the fuck out of me and makes my balls shrivel up.
Vocals are the least important factor in determining genre. They don't matter at all.

Ebolapox
03-25-2010, 11:59 PM
I hate Korn and consider them a bunch of phonies, like Limp Bizkit

eh, generational differences and such. I was and still kinda am a korn fan (well, before head left, though their early stuff is by FAR my favorite), and I'm ashamed to say I was a limp bizkit fan when I was younger--my tastes have changed as I've gotten older though.

Reaper16
03-26-2010, 12:02 AM
I actually like early KoRn.

Ebolapox
03-26-2010, 12:05 AM
Vocals are the least important factor in determining genre. They don't matter at all.

see, that's where I'll disagree with you. are vocals the whole picture? absolutely not. but you put a guy like dio in front of sabbath and you have what some people consider metal. without him and with ozzy, you don't have metal. rage against the machine is listed in most music catalogs (eh, I disagree and put this down to the fact that they're hard to categorize) as metal. audioslave is not. difference? zack de la rocha vs. chris cornell.

vocals are absolutely important in genre determination. hell, metal as a genre is predicated (in my eyes) on several things: intense, driving guitar work and a vocalist that can sell the product. now, is that metal at its purest? likely not--that's metal that will sell and metal most people will know about. some of the best metal of all-time is by rare artists that most guys (like myself) have never heard about. sure, they'll make an appearance on headbanger's ball if they're lucky--but most don't. do most guys know anything about mastadon other than 'march of the fire ants?' probably not. but mastadon, back in the day, was the SHIT.

Ebolapox
03-26-2010, 12:06 AM
I actually like early KoRn.

I like a select VERY FEW songs they've put out in the last ten years or so--by and large, their late catalog is horrendous--but I can get behind MAYBE a few songs every three albums.

DaneMcCloud
03-26-2010, 12:08 AM
eh, generational differences and such. I was and still kinda am a korn fan (well, before head left, though their early stuff is by FAR my favorite), and I'm ashamed to say I was a limp bizkit fan when I was younger--my tastes have changed as I've gotten older though.

You calling me old?

:D

Seriously though, I enjoy later "metal" and really dig the latest incarnation of Megadeth (Broderick is fucking awesome). But I never understood Korn, even living in LA in the early 90's.

They just don't vibe with me. I don't like their sound (the bass is too clicky and the guitarist is mediocre at best) and I never like the production because it was always so digital and thin.

I guess I just never connected with them.

Reaper16
03-26-2010, 12:10 AM
see, that's where I'll disagree with you. are vocals the whole picture? absolutely not. but you put a guy like dio in front of sabbath and you have what some people consider metal. without him and with ozzy, you don't have metal. rage against the machine is listed in most music catalogs (eh, I disagree and put this down to the fact that they're hard to categorize) as metal. audioslave is not. difference? zack de la rocha vs. chris cornell.
Black Sabbath with Ozzy and Black Sabbath with Dio are both metal as fuck. Rage doesn't have a single song that is composed as a metal song. Its rock composition all the way.

vocals are absolutely important in genre determination. hell, metal as a genre is predicated (in my eyes) on several things: intense, driving guitar work and a vocalist that can sell the product. now, is that metal at its purest? likely not--that's metal that will sell and metal most people will know about. some of the best metal of all-time is by rare artists that most guys (like myself) have never heard about. sure, they'll make an appearance on headbanger's ball if they're lucky--but most don't. do most guys know anything about mastadon other than 'march of the fire ants?' probably not. but mastadon, back in the day, was the SHIT.
Mastodon was the shit then and is still the shit now. They've gotten more progressive, sure, but I like that sort of thing.

DaneMcCloud
03-26-2010, 12:15 AM
If we're talking what I consider metal, then Machinehead, Paranoid, Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow and Rainbow's Long Live Rock and Roll HAVE to be in the conversation.

Man on the Silver Mountain?

METAL UP YOUR ASS!

QuikSsurfer
03-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Wow... i called glassjaw metal...

BTBAM would still have a spot in there (Colors)

Reaper16
03-26-2010, 12:17 AM
If we're talking what I consider metal, then Machinehead, Paranoid, Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow and Rainbow's Long Live Rock and Roll HAVE to be in the conversation.

Man on the Silver Mountain?

METAL UP YOUR ASS!
My definition of metal allows for Deep Purple & Rainbow too.

Ebolapox
03-26-2010, 12:19 AM
You calling me old?

:D

Seriously though, I enjoy later "metal" and really dig the latest incarnation of Megadeth (Broderick is fucking awesome). But I never understood Korn, even living in LA in the early 90's.

They just don't vibe with me. I don't like their sound (the bass is too clicky and the guitarist is mediocre at best) and I never like the production because it was always so digital and thin.

I guess I just never connected with them.

I can buy that. the drop-d tuning that they started (well, they didn't start it, but they really made it popular in the early 90's--after they got big doing it, many more bands seemingly followed) ran rampant in early 90's 'rock/metal/whatever the hell you want to call it.' I love a lot of fieldy's driving, pounding bass throughout early korn. that's just me, though.

QuikSsurfer
03-26-2010, 12:21 AM

I saw her live in Memphis, TN back in 06... CRAZY pit.. many parts were chilling...
can you believe that these guys played BEFORE Kittie that night? Yeeesh.

Ebolapox
03-26-2010, 12:24 AM
I saw her live in Memphis, TN back in 06... CRAZY pit.. many parts were chilling...
can you believe that these guys played BEFORE Kittie that night? Yeeesh.

jesus freaking christ. kittie could never TOUCH otep. they always had much more popularity, though, which is why most of mainstream music, to me, is worthless. hell, I don't even listen to the radio anymore these days. worthless, the crap they try to shove down our throats.

Reaper16
03-26-2010, 12:25 AM
I thought Otep's video for "Warhead" was pretty schweet.

QuikSsurfer
03-26-2010, 12:29 AM
jesus freaking christ. kittie could never TOUCH otep. they always had much more popularity, though, which is why most of mainstream music, to me, is worthless. hell, I don't even listen to the radio anymore these days. worthless, the crap they try to shove down our throats.

Same. If my radio is on, it's tuned to NPR or sportstalk..
We left after Kittie's first song.. Otep just embarrassed them (even with their rent-a-drummer). Her demonic stage props and tortured screams while hidden backstage were a nice touch... Her bass player is the talented one.. dude can play the hell outta that fretless.

edit: I don't listen to them much these days.. Their last good album was House of Secrets, IMO.

DaneMcCloud
03-26-2010, 12:31 AM
I can buy that. the drop-d tuning that they started (well, they didn't start it, but they really made it popular in the early 90's--after they got big doing it, many more bands seemingly followed) ran rampant in early 90's 'rock/metal/whatever the hell you want to call it.' I love a lot of fieldy's driving, pounding bass throughout early korn. that's just me, though.

Actually, the copied the Seattle bands who were doing the Dropped D, specifically Soundgarden and AIC.

Not to rain on your parade, I just never got it. But by all means, enjoy!

Ebolapox
03-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Actually, the copied the Seattle bands who were doing the Dropped D, specifically Soundgarden and AIC.

no worries. that's the wonderful thing about music--don't like it? there's a shit-ton out there that you will like if you listen long enough

(and I was seven years old in 1990--I can be forgiven for not recalling which bands used drop-d and which didn't) :)

DaneMcCloud
03-26-2010, 12:36 AM
no worries. that's the wonderful thing about music--don't like it? there's a shit-ton out there that you will like if you listen long enough

(and I was seven years old in 1990--I can be forgiven for not recalling which bands used drop-d and which didn't) :)

It's ALL good, dude! Enjoy!

QuikSsurfer
03-26-2010, 12:40 AM

I was also born in 83... I'm pretty sure that the scorpions and even pink floyd experimented in dropped d.

Fruit Ninja
03-26-2010, 03:11 AM

I was a huge Korn fan from the get go. I remember my friend Joe with a copy of their first album in 93 i think it was on a Cassette. Their first 3-4 albums are good, but some of their other stuff is ok.

I dont give a **** what anyone says, 3 Dolla Bill yall kicked ass. Their other albums were shit though.

for me its

Korn-Korn
Pantera- Far Beyond Driven
Soil- Sars

Third Eye
03-26-2010, 03:31 AM

I would agree with Soundgarden, but AIC rarely used it. Jerry was usually tuned in a standard Eb. I would also disagree that it was necessarily a Seattle thing. While bands like Soundgarden and the Melvins were known for it, its use was also big in the New York Hardcore and Post-Hardcore scenes. If I'm not mistaken Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger and Helmet's Meantime came out withing months of each other. Years later everyone remembers Soundgarden and much fewer remember Helmet, but at the time they were both big. Also at the same time TOOL was coming out of LA and were known for their use of it too.

I was also born in 83... I'm pretty sure that the scorpions and even pink floyd experimented in dropped d.

Lots of guitarists have experimented with it throughout the years, but there was a period from 1991-1993 where its use exploded.

beach tribe
03-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Pantera: Great Southern Trendkill
Metallica: And Justice For All
Black Sabbath: Paranoid

beach tribe
03-26-2010, 08:37 AM

Oh yeah. It's been around for a long time.

Buddy Rich
03-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Slayer - Reign in Blood

The greatest metal album ever.

KCUnited
03-26-2010, 08:57 AM
This seems to be the hardest thing for a lot of people to grasp, but its so true.

My top 3 metal albums will vary by day.

Swanman
03-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Same. If my radio is on, it's tuned to NPR or sportstalk..
We left after Kittie's first song.. Otep just embarrassed them (even with their rent-a-drummer). Her demonic stage props and tortured screams while hidden backstage were a nice touch... Her bass player is the talented one.. dude can play the hell outta that fretless.

edit: I don't listen to them much these days.. Their last good album was House of Secrets, IMO.

I know Otep's recent stuff has been absolutely shit on by reviewers (like theprp.com). I enjoy their stuff, it's brutal, and that goes a long way even if it isn't much to sneeze at musically.

If you want metal with a female vocalist, for me it starts and ends with Arch Enemy. I love the guitar work and her vocals are amazing.

JD10367
03-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Nice thread bump, and some good choices here.

For me, I'm more fond of Metallica's Ride The Lightning album than Master of Puppets. It's one of those handful of albums where every song is great.

For Iron Maiden, anyone who even mentions anything after Powerslave is a douchewaffle. Seventh Son? Puhleeze. That was friggin' pop music by their standards. Pick ANY of the first five: Iron Maiden, Killers, Number of the Beast, Peace of Mind, or Powerslave.

If AC/DC's Back In Black counts, put that on the list.

I love Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I. So glad I got to see them touring for that album. IIRC, Bruce Dickinson opened up for them, too.

Operation Mindcrime: another good selection. Sort of "light metal", though.

rad
03-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Nice thread bump, and some good choices here.

For me, I'm more fond of Metallica's Ride The Lightning album than Master of Puppets. It's one of those handful of albums where every song is great.

For Iron Maiden, anyone who even mentions anything after Powerslave is a douchewaffle. Seventh Son? Puhleeze. That was friggin' pop music by their standards. Pick ANY of the first five: Iron Maiden, Killers, Number of the Beast, Peace of Mind, or Powerslave.

If AC/DC's Back In Black counts, put that on the list.

I love Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I. So glad I got to see them touring for that album. IIRC, Bruce Dickinson opened up for them, too.

Operation Mindcrime: another good selection. Sort of "light metal", though.

We would get along famously. Except for the Helloween part. Never got into them.

Third Eye
03-26-2010, 02:48 PM
There is no way I could narrow down my 3 favorites, so I'll just throw out 3 that haven't got any love on here yet.

Anthrax- Among the Living

Suicidal Tendencies- How Will I Laugh Tomorrow

Testament- The Ritual (not even their best, but I love it for nostalgic reasons)

Now if I were picking my actual favorite albums, Faith No More's The Real Thing and Angel Dust would be there, but some wouldn't call that metal. Same with Ministry's The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste. Mindcrime would be up there as well, but it has gotten plenty of love on here already.

rad
03-26-2010, 02:53 PM
For me I guess it was Slayer, Maiden, Metallica and Megadeth that I started off with, followed by Pantera, NIN, Ministry, Sepultura, and shorter lived stuff like Helmet, Corrosion of Conformity, Nailbomb, etc..... so going by that I'd have to say:

Slayer...Seasons in the abyss. Real toss up between this and RIB...I picked the one that I heard first. Plus, the tape had a really cool inlay card....

Megadeth.....Rust in peace. I mean, c'mon...

Metallica.....Kill 'em all. I was a huge bass fan and played a little in HS. Cliff Burton was a big influence and nothing, even to this day, tops (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth. Plus Hit the Lights, Jump in the Fire, Metal Militia....they never sounded like that again. Shame.

Detoxing
03-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Damn, it's pretty hard to narrow them down to 3, especially since there are so many forms of "metal".

Detoxing
03-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Ok, so I thought about it and Im not sure if these count as "Metal", or if they're even my favorite 3, but they're the first 3 that popped into my head:

1. Marilyn Manson-Antichrist Superstar

2. Static-X- Wisconsin Death Trip (****, i miss this album...i need to downlo....err go buy it)

3. Slipknot-Self Titled

RiversRunRed
03-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Tool - Lateralus
Metallica - And Justice for All
Opeth - Ghost Reveries

Detoxing
03-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Tool - Lateralus
Metallica - And Justice for All
Opeth - Ghost Reveries

I would've listed Tool, but not sure if they count as "metal"

Molitoth
03-26-2010, 03:22 PM
My fav metal album of all time:

MachineHead - The Blackening

ps.- A ton of the shit posted in here is NOT metal.

Woodrow Call
03-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Ok, so I thought about it and Im not sure if these count as "Metal", or if they're even my favorite 3, but they're the first 3 that popped into my head:

2. Stat-X- Wisconsin Death Trip (****, i miss this album...i need to downlo....err go buy it)
3. Slipknot-Self Titled

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

One of my all-time favorite albums regardless of genre. Love me some Static-X.

SnakeXJones
03-26-2010, 03:36 PM
I always been a big korn fan and still am today...

1. KoRn - Issues
2. KoRn - Selftitled
3. KoRn - Untouchables

Honorable mentions..
Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe
White Zombie - Astro Creep 2000

Detoxing
03-26-2010, 03:39 PM
:rockon::rockon::rockon:

One of my all-time favorite albums regardless of genre. Love me some Static-X.

Easily. This album rocked. I bought the two albums post-Death trip just because of Death Trip. Listening to it right now actually.

RiversRunRed
03-26-2010, 03:40 PM
I would've listed Tool, but not sure if they count as "metal"

I consider that album progressive metal but thats just my opinion

Reaper16
03-26-2010, 03:46 PM
I feel like half the posts in this thread today were made to troll me. So much not-metal albums being posted.

Detoxing
03-26-2010, 03:54 PM
I feel like half the posts in this thread today were made to troll me. So much not-metal albums being posted.

But there are so many variations of Metal:

Manson-Industrial Metal

Static-X: Neo-Metal

Slipknot: Neo-Metal....

Rammstien- Industrial metal

And people my age are more prone to identify Metal as Genres such as Industrial Metal etc. opposed to traditional Metal like MegaDeath

chiefs1111
03-26-2010, 04:01 PM
my favorite 3 albums as of this moment.

Opeth-Watershed
Kamelot-Epica
Green Carnation-Light Of Day,Day of Darkness

Brock
03-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Def Leppard Hysteria
White Lion Pride
Britny Fox Britney Fox

Cannibal
03-26-2010, 04:16 PM
The Alpha and Omega = Slayer: Reign in Blood

Mr Luzcious
03-26-2010, 04:42 PM

Taylor Swift - Fearless
Britney Spears - Oops!..I did it again

..I can't finish the post. Already too sickened by what I've done. :p

Reaper16
03-26-2010, 04:45 PM
But there are so many variations of Metal:

Manson-Industrial Metal

Static-X: Neo-Metal

Slipknot: Neo-Metal....

Rammstien- Industrial metal

And people my age are more prone to identify Metal as Genres such as Industrial Metal etc. opposed to traditional Metal like MegaDeath
There was a time on this board where I was known principally for my firm defnitions of what is or isn't metal. This thread is bringing that dark side of me out to the fore once again. None of those four bands are metal. What you call "neo-metal" is what most people call nu-metal. That genre, despite the name that got attached to it, is not metal. None of it sounds like metal! Metal is about polyrhythm, syncopation, diatonic and chromatic scales, heavy use of jazz and classical music theory. Nu-metal is rock all the way through.

While there are metal bands that have a heavy influence from industrial music, Manson and Rammstein are not among them. Not metal at all, ever.

BTW -- saying something isn't metal is not dissing that thing. There is nothing wrong with being a rock band. Hard rock bands can often be straight-up heavier than metal bands.

Reaper16
03-26-2010, 04:45 PM
my favorite 3 albums as of this moment.

Opeth-Watershed
Kamelot-Epica
Green Carnation-Light Of Day,Day of Darkness
A man after my own heart.

JD10367
03-26-2010, 04:51 PM
We would get along famously. Except for the Helloween part. Never got into them.

I really only like that one album. It's another one of my rare "I like every song" albums. "I'm Alive", "A Little Time", "Twilight Of The Gods", "Future World", "Halloween"... good stuff. Schwichtenberg's (R.I.P.) furious drumming rocked. I hear they went in a different direction later on but, frankly, I never heard much else (aside from "KOTSK Part 2").

Reaper16
03-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Keeper of the Seven Keys, Pt. 1 rules.

Detoxing
03-26-2010, 05:09 PM
There was a time on this board where I was known principally for my firm defnitions of what is or isn't metal. This thread is bringing that dark side of me out to the fore once again. None of those four bands are metal. What you call "neo-metal" is what most people call nu-metal. That genre, despite the name that got attached to it, is not metal. None of it sounds like metal! Metal is about polyrhythm, syncopation, diatonic and chromatic scales, heavy use of jazz and classical music theory. Nu-metal is rock all the way through.

While there are metal bands that have a heavy influence from industrial music, Manson and Rammstein are not among them. Not metal at all, ever.

BTW -- saying something isn't metal is not dissing that thing. There is nothing wrong with being a rock band. Hard rock bands can often be straight-up heavier than metal bands.

So what would YOU classify Manson and Rammstein as?

MOhillbilly
03-26-2010, 05:10 PM
The Alpha and Omega = Slayer: Reign in Blood

Yup.

Reaper16
03-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Hard rock and Industrial Rock. Pretty simple -- that's what they sound like.

MOhillbilly
03-26-2010, 05:16 PM

there it is.

Man i heard reign in blood probably 86-87 on Metal shop. blew me away.

Molitoth
03-27-2010, 08:28 AM
I consider that album progressive metal but thats just my opinion

Tool - Progressive Hard Rock

Reaper16
03-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Truth. Tool has just about never sounded like a metal band. Maybe some drum parts.

Molitoth
03-27-2010, 08:30 AM

Good Post

RiversRunRed
03-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Ok well then change that choice to the jhonas brothers then :p

patteeu
03-27-2010, 12:15 PM

OK Reaper, since people around here live in fear of your judgment on metal issues, maybe you should be proactive and create a subgenre chart that identifies all the subgenres of metal and near-metal, defines each of those subgenres and includes several examples as you see them. Kind of like the metal geneology chart from the Headbangers' Journey documentary shown below (but better because you're Reaper, am I right?).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Metal_Genealogy.jpg

QuikSsurfer
03-27-2010, 12:49 PM

Both are industrial bands

Buzzsaw
03-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Slayer - Reign in Blood

HC_Chief
03-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Slayer - Reign In Blood (FTMFW!)
Metallica - Master of Puppets (++Cliff RIP)
Voi Vod - Dimension Hatros (dischordant Gods)

Demonpenz
03-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Pantera Vulgar Display of Power
Mastadon Crack the skye
misfits

NewChief
03-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Limp Bizkit!

Do I even need two more? (just trying to send Reaper into convulsions).

Reaper16
03-28-2010, 12:48 AM
OK Reaper, since people around here live in fear of your judgment on metal issues, maybe you should be proactive and create a subgenre chart that identifies all the subgenres of metal and near-metal, defines each of those subgenres and includes several examples as you see them. Kind of like the metal geneology chart from the Headbangers' Journey documentary shown below (but better because you're Reaper, am I right?).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Metal_Genealogy.jpg

I don't feel like doing that because it isn't as if the posters that I enlighten are going to do a damn thing for me. They won't suddenly begin to post better.

For the sake of brevity:
+++ Heavy Metal +++
*subgenres*
Power Metal
Thrash Metal
Death Metal
Black Metal
Doom Metal
Progressive Metal
Melodic Death Metal
-- within those clearly identifiable and different-sounding subgenres you can use other influences to make a more complete description. Examples: Folk Black, Funeral Doom. Bands can also easily mix the subgenres (Progressive Death, Blackened Death, etc.)
*bastard cousins*
Crossover
Grindcore
Metalcore

NewChief
03-28-2010, 07:13 AM
I don't feel like doing that because it isn't as if the posters that I enlighten are going to do a damn thing for me. They won't suddenly begin to post better.

For the sake of brevity:
+++ Heavy Metal +++
*subgenres*
Power Metal
Thrash Metal
Death Metal
Black Metal
Doom Metal
Progressive Metal
Melodic Death Metal
-- within those clearly identifiable and different-sounding subgenres you can use other influences to make a more complete description. Examples: Folk Black, Funeral Doom. Bands can also easily mix the subgenres (Progressive Death, Blackened Death, etc.)
*bastard cousin*
Metalcore

Norwegian Cookie Monster?

Reaper16
03-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Norwegian Cookie Monster?
Is he different from the American Cookie Monster?

I'm unsure of what you're asking. If you're asking what metal subgenre harsh vocals (commonly called "cookie monster" vocals by people that listen to those bands that are really hip but have little staying power) belong to then the answer is: any of them. Vocals determine exactly no part of genre (Opera, I suppose, is the only genre of music I can think of which requires a certain vocal). That said the "cookie monster" growling is most often found in death metal and melodic death metal.

KCUnited
03-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Grindcore and your list is complete.

patteeu
03-28-2010, 08:24 AM
BTW, my answer to the thread question is:

1. Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
2. Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East (live)
3. Ozzy - Blizzard of Oz

patteeu
03-28-2010, 08:26 AM

For the sake of brevity:
+++ Heavy Metal +++
*subgenres*
Power Metal
Thrash Metal
Death Metal
Black Metal
Doom Metal
Progressive Metal
Melodic Death Metal
*bastard cousin*
Metalcore

Geez, that's not much guidance. I'm willing to give you a bit more time to write a treatise on the subject, but I'm afraid that until it's done you can't possibly expect us mere music mortals to know where folk black death metal ends and nucountry doom metal with progressive influences begins.

Reaper16
03-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Geez, that's not much guidance. I'm willing to give you a bit more time to write a treatise on the subject, but I'm afraid that until it's done you can't possibly expect us mere music mortals to know where folk black death metal ends and nucountry doom metal with progressive influences begins.
I do have those expectations. Unless, you know, you don't have the ability to hear.

NewChief
03-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Is he different from the American Cookie Monster?

I'm unsure of what you're asking. If you're asking what metal subgenre harsh vocals (commonly called "cookie monster" vocals by people that listen to those bands that are really hip but have little staying power) belong to then the answer is: any of them. Vocals determine exactly no part of genre (Opera, I suppose, is the only genre of music I can think of which requires a certain vocal). That said the "cookie monster" growling is most often found in death metal and melodic death metal.

I was just making a joke... though I'm glad it got a serious answer. ;)

Fruit Ninja
03-28-2010, 05:34 PM
To many categories for my tastes. I dont really classify it all that much. If i like it i listen to it. if i dont, i dont.

Its just to much for me to even care about. lol

Reaper16
03-28-2010, 05:36 PM
To many categories for my tastes. I dont really classify it all that much. If i like it i listen to it. if i dont, i dont.

Its just to much for me to even care about. lol
That's fair. I don't so much care about classification but rather mis-classification. It irks me to see something badly misclassified.

Bowser
03-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Only ONE Iced Earth nominee?

"These truly are end times"

Chiefspants
03-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Ghost Reveries- Opeth
Blackwater Park- Opeth
Traced in Air- Cynic

Honorable Mentions- (In no particular order.)
The Great Misdirect- Between the Buried and Me
Watershed- Opeth
Miasma- The Black Dahlia Murder
Colors- Between the Buried and Me
Hope- Swallow the Sun
Allegiance- As Blood Runs Black
Njord- Leaves Eyes

And some more that I'm forgetting..(I'll edit the post when they come to me.)

-I would have posted Opeth's Damnation album in my top three, but I am unsure that album can be called "Metal."

Bowser
03-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Has Opeth and Otep toured together? They should.

Cjanz
03-28-2010, 06:14 PM
No, they shouldn't.

Brock
03-28-2010, 06:15 PM
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Manilla Road's "Open The Gates" and "The Deluge".

Ebolapox
03-28-2010, 06:15 PM

2. Static-X- Wisconsin Death Trip (****, i miss this album...i need to downlo....err go buy it)

3. Slipknot-Self Titled

all three of those rocked--slipknot isn't who they used to be--I love their early stuff (and I know, that sounds so freaking pretentious)... wayne static used to be badass--haven't heard from him in the last eight years or so.

QuikSsurfer
03-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Ghost Reveries- Opeth
Blackwater Park- Opeth
Traced in Air- Cynic

Honorable Mentions- (In no particular order.)
The Great Misdirect- Between the Buried and Me
Watershed- Opeth
Miasma- The Black Dahlia Murder
Colors- Between the Buried and Me
Hope- Swallow the Sun
Allegiance- As Blood Runs Black
Njord- Leaves Eyes

And some more that I'm forgetting..(I'll edit the post when they come to me.)

-I would have posted Opeth's Damnation album in my top three, but I am unsure that album can be called "Metal."

Nice list. I loved Allegiance by As Blood Runs Black.
The Great Misdirect was just meh, IMO. Colors is their masterpiece.

Baby Lee
03-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Only ONE Iced Earth nominee?

"These truly are end times"
I prefer Richard Christy's vocal work

This first one needs a little explanation. It's from the Artie Lange roast, and Artie's dad was paralyzed after a fall from a ladder and needed nurse convalescent care until his death, including manual extraction of BMs.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZCtbs2Zwd3E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZCtbs2Zwd3E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0BxzQxqmem4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0BxzQxqmem4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fFgLvT-ghrQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fFgLvT-ghrQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Chiefspants
03-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Nice list. I loved Allegiance by As Blood Runs Black.
The Great Misdirect was just meh, IMO. Colors is their masterpiece.

I love "In Dying Days" on the Allegiance album, it's such an invigorating track to listen to. I believe Colors was their masterwork as well, but I do love Desert of Song, Fossil Genera- A feed from Cloud Mountain, and Disease, Injury, Madness from the Great Misdirect.

Reaper16
03-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Has Opeth and Otep toured together? They should.
Fuck you.

Cjanz
03-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Can't really pick three "favorites" but here are some I've been listening to a lot recently.

Hour of Penance - The Vile Conception/Paradogma
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone/Come My Fanatics...
Agalloch - The Mantle/Ashes Against the Grain
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Cattle Decapitation - The Harvest Floor
Augury - Fragmentary Evidence
Swallow the Sun - All of their albums except for New Moon, can't get into it
Cynic - Traced in Air/Focus - tie between the two, really
Enslaved - Isa/Vertebrae
Vehemence - God Was Created
Vile - Depopulate
Soreption - Deterioration of Minds/Illuminate the Excessive

I could continue, but I don't really have it in me to type out 25 more entries...

Reaper16
03-28-2010, 07:03 PM
What sort of woodwork did chiefspants and Cjanz come out of? Well I'll tell you: the woodwork of good taste.

Cjanz
03-28-2010, 07:15 PM
What sort of woodwork did chiefspants and Cjanz come out of? Well I'll tell you: the woodwork of good taste.

Thank you. I'm glad I polished my wood before showcasing it.

Gadzooks
03-28-2010, 07:26 PM
If greatest hit albums count...
-Iron Maiden - Live after Death
-Suicidal Tendencies - Prime cuts (although I prefer the originals)
-Kyuss - Muchas Gracias
Although, I'll entirely change my list by the time I click post.

CanadaKC
03-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Queensryche....Queen of the Ryche

Iron Maiden...Piece of Mind

Van Halen...Van Halen 1

Mr. Laz
03-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Sabbath - Paranoid
AC/DC - Back in Black
Motley Crue - Shout at the devil

some honorable mentions
Guns n' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Oz
Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman
Def Leppard - Pyromania
Van Halen - 1984
AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

QuikSsurfer
03-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Fuck you.

:LOL:

QuikSsurfer
03-28-2010, 08:50 PM
I love "In Dying Days" on the Allegiance album, it's such an invigorating track to listen to. I believe Colors was their masterwork as well, but I do love Desert of Song, Fossil Genera- A feed from Cloud Mountain, and Disease, Injury, Madness from the Great Misdirect.

I totally agree. The first 4 tracks on Allegiance do it for me.
Disease, Injury, Madness and Mirrors are the only songs on The Great Misdirect that I enjoy... It's a shame because these guys have been my favorite act for years. I've seen them live 3 times. Have you heard their Self-Titled album?
I also saw As Blood Runs Black with Through the eyes of the dead, and bring me the horizon back in 08.. ear plugs were a must.

Bowser
03-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Fuck you.

LMAO