PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router/firewall question...

htismaqe
08-11-2006, 02:38 PM
I had a LinkSys WCG200 until about a week ago. It was nice having a cable modem/firewall/router/wireless AP all in one box, but the design lent itself to rapid burn out (according to the BB's I read) and I replaced it.

My biggest complaint about the LinkSys other than the obvious fact that it burnt up in about a year, was that the web management interface sucked. The firewall was not very configurable and the logs were even worse. And the logs were even harder to read because the thing pulled time from the cable and couldn't be configured to use an upstream NTP server.

I replaced it with a Belkin.

And it's web management interface is arguably WORSE.

So my question is for anybody out there that's worked extensively on enterprise class/carrier class networking gear:

Is there a wireless firewall/router out there from D-Link, Netgear, or someone else that will satisfy my need to have a robust, fully-functional web interface?

unlurking
08-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Not that I've seen (at least not in the D-Link price range). I had the same wants, ended up buying a Mototola Surfboard something or other that had everything (including RJ-11 networking and a print server). The thing was absolute crap as far as firewall configurability goes. After having a CP and a Raptor on my home network, going with an all-in-one was a nightmare.

Bought a Zyxel (think SonicWALL / WatchGuard type device) and was pleasantly surprised by the firewall / VPN functionality for a sub $100 firewall appliance. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a firewall-only appliance (mine has been going strong for about 2+ years now).

Since I bought mine, Zyxel has come out with new all-in-one products, but I have not yet tried them. You might take a look at them, but I'd definitely make sure you can return anything you buy after trying it out.as the price is much lower than their straight firewall products.

http://us.zyxel.com/web/product_category.php?PC1indexflag=20040520161313

htismaqe
08-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Interesting. Thanks, I'll take a look.

If I don't find anything else, I'm going with Netgear. It's gotten super reviews.

DaFace
08-12-2006, 10:33 AM
I've only messed with a couple enterprise-level routers, but I've messed with about every brand of home-oriented router out there. I prefer Netgear's interface hands down over the rest, but it's still nothing close to a "full featured" firewall.

htismaqe
08-12-2006, 11:11 AM
The Zyxel 330W looks like exactly what I want. It's gotten great reviews for speed and stability and the interface is definitely full-featured. It's down to that and a Netgear 624.

htismaqe
08-14-2006, 08:27 PM
I went with the Zyxel. It was $49.99 and the Netgear was $79.99.

I have to say, I love it. It's got every feature and the logs are fantastic. I was able to troubleshoot a bad WPA2 wireless connection by looking at the handshake messages in the log.

DaFace
08-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the info. I might try one out sometime.

Where'd you get it, if you don't mind me asking?

htismaqe
08-14-2006, 09:23 PM
CompUSA

unlurking
08-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Cool, glad you like it. I love my ZyWall appliance. When I saw the new devices, and their relatively low price tags, I was concerned they may have skimped on some of the features. It is so hard to tell from just specs, you really don't know until you get a chance to run through the interface hands on.

How are the firewall features? The ZyWALL I have was the only appliance at the time that included full single port redirection and custom protocols. I'm looking at possibly creating another DMZ physically (rather than just logically with my current ZyWALL) and may go for one of these all-in-one devices again.

Does it have a CLI? I love being able to SSH into my firewall rather than using a web interface.

Fruit Ninja
08-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Zyxel Wireless routers rule. i have the 334W and i love ive. So easy to configure.

htismaqe
08-15-2006, 06:43 AM
The 330W is kinda stripped down compared to the 334W.

One of the things it supports that was missing from the Belkin is kinda taken for granted -- you can disable the wireless radio. :D

For firewall, it supports MAC and IP filtering, NAT/PAT, DDNS, and basically everything else that a full-featured firewall supports. The only think it doesn't support is full, customizable rulesets, but I dont' really need that anyway.

On the CLI, I don't know. The web interface is pretty good. It does run Linux, so it might have a CLI.