PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see Whitlock's closing on rome is Burning?

jaxchiefsclub
08-11-2006, 03:04 PM
He was talking about nascar and its fans being viewed as "rednecks with rebel flags", and how many black people would feel uncomfortable at a race.

Then he said why don't "we" feel the same way at a stoplight when someone pulls alongside blaring rap music droping the "n" word and degrading black women.

"We ought to sue 50 cent he has done more to degrade blacks than nascar fans"

I actually agree with what he said. Wondered what others thought about it.

Saulbadguy
08-11-2006, 03:05 PM
I agree with the first 15 words.

Fish
08-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Fatlock is racist.....

Vegas_Dave
08-11-2006, 03:09 PM
I agree with the first 15 words.
amen

The Dude Abides
08-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Nascar has done nothing to degrade blacks. If something is not catered just to their taste, it is racist and must be abolished or changed. F*ck Fatlock

MOhillbilly
08-11-2006, 03:46 PM
hes just mad cause he cant drive.:hmmm:

Hound333
08-11-2006, 03:51 PM
There are good and bad people in every population. That includes Nascar. Stop worrying so much about what the few people think. I know alot of "rednecks" and the majority aren't racist anymore than any other population.

I will agree though that there are arse-hats in this world that won't let racism die. I honestly think some people on both sides don't want it to die.

shaneo69
08-11-2006, 04:23 PM
I was just at the Brickyard 400 on Sunday----didn't see any rebel flags.

melbar
08-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Thats like me saying rap fans wave watermelon and fried chicken at Dr. Dre concerts. Jason is a racist and these statements prove it....(actually watermelon does sound pretty good right now...)

JBucc
08-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Thats like me saying rap fans wave watermelon and fried chicken at Dr. Dre concerts. Jason is a racist and these statements prove it....(actually watermelon does sound pretty good right now...)Fried Chicken sounds good too

StcChief
08-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Caddy Escalades don't roll right at Nascar track....

Deberg_1990
08-11-2006, 09:09 PM

I will agree though that there are arse-hats in this world that won't let racism die. I honestly think some people on both sides don't want it to die.

YOu mean like Jason Whitlock? Half the reason racism wont die is because ass-hats like Whitlock keep making dumb ass commentaries like this on national TV shows.

Moooo
08-11-2006, 09:12 PM
If NASCAR is racist so is the NHL...

Both may be, I don't know, but if you have one, you need to include the other.

Moooo

Smed1065
08-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Does that mean if they do not cater to our needs, they are racist?

Munson
08-11-2006, 10:08 PM
I went to a race in July at the Kansas Speedway. I saw so many confederate flags that I thought I was in the middle of a KKK rally. Being a minority, it actually did make me a bit uncomfortable.

keg in kc
08-11-2006, 11:04 PM
I think most of you guys are missing his point.

The Dude Abides
08-11-2006, 11:08 PM
I went to a race in July at the Kansas Speedway. I saw so many confederate flags that I thought I was in the middle of a KKK rally. Being a minority, it actually did make me a bit uncomfortable.
About as uncomfortable as I would be at a 50 cent show? If it makes me uncomfortable, I dont go. No offense. Plus the Confederate flag is not racist. Media has drilled it into peoples heads that it is a symbol of hate. Its not

keg in kc
08-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Plus the Confederate flag is not racist. Media has drilled it into peoples heads that it is a symbol of hate. Its notI'd agree with you on the historical nature of the flag, with the caveat that there are also an awful lot of people who fly it as a symbol of hate, media or no media.

Can't see myself at a 50 cent show.

greg63
08-11-2006, 11:17 PM
I ignore Fatlock

BigRock
08-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Plus the Confederate flag is not racist. Media has drilled it into peoples heads that it is a symbol of hate. Its not
Oh, come on. Plenty of people who fly that flag do it because they know how it's interpreted.

It doesn't seem like many of the people commenting on this actually saw Whitlock's show. He was talking about the lawsuit against NASCAR from a black crew worker (I think) who was racially harassed, including being called the n-word and being taunted with a KKK hood. NASCAR promised him a job to make nice over what happened, but they never made good and now he's suing.

Then he talked about how incidents like that give the impression to black people that NASCAR is a redneck sport, and that they think it'd be uncomfortable going to races and seeing rebel flags and such. But then he wondered why black people aren't equally uncomfortable when someone pulls up beside them blasting rap music that uses the n-word, degrades black women, etc.

He wasn't taking shots at NASCAR.

Rausch
08-11-2006, 11:38 PM
Whitlock's starting to remind me of the girl that flashes her tits at the party when people quit paying attention to her...

greg63
08-11-2006, 11:46 PM
Whitlock's starting to remind me of the girl that flashes her tits at the party when people quit paying attention to her...

ROFLROFL

Braincase
08-12-2006, 07:24 AM
White guys need engines to compete.

Fat Elvis
08-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Plus the Confederate flag is not racist. Media has drilled it into peoples heads that it is a symbol of hate. Its not

And the swastika is really just a nice happy symbol from pre-Christianic religions across the globe and not in any real way, shape, or form connected to anti-Semitism :rolleyes:

Garcia Bronco
08-12-2006, 08:01 AM
I live in Richmond Virginia...and many "black" americans catch the race.

Simplex3
08-12-2006, 08:24 AM
People flying that flag don't do it because they're racist, they do it because they're stupid. Every redneck I know that has a Confederate flag thinks its a symbol of being proud of being from the South, they don't have the mental wherewithall to connect that with slavery and racism.

In their defense, many, many slaves were owned when the only flag flying was the US flag, yet for some reason I don't hear people bitching about that being a racist symbol.

Simplex3
08-12-2006, 08:28 AM
And the swastika is really just a nice happy symbol from pre-Christianic religions across the globe and not in any real way, shape, or form connected to anti-Semitism :rolleyes:
So if some racist serial killer began calling himself "Elvis" we should forever quit using the name Elvis because it's now a symbol of racism and hate?

Just because some sick f**ks coopt a symbol doesn't make the symbol bad, it makes the sick f**ks bad. We read way too much into stupid crap like a symbol. It plays to our desire to pigeonhole people based on some quickly identifiable information, however. Hmmm, come to think of it, that's kind of like hating someone because of the color of their skin...

Fat Elvis
08-12-2006, 09:26 AM
So if some racist serial killer began calling himself "Elvis" we should forever quit using the name Elvis because it's now a symbol of racism and hate?

Just because some sick f**ks coopt a symbol doesn't make the symbol bad, it makes the sick f**ks bad. We read way too much into stupid crap like a symbol. It plays to our desire to pigeonhole people based on some quickly identifiable information, however. Hmmm, come to think of it, that's kind of like hating someone because of the color of their skin...

That is pretty idiotic. A symbol, in its basic sense, is a conventional representation of a concept or quantity; i.e., an idea, object, concept, quality, etc. The identification with a symbol is an identification with a certain idea. The color of someone's skin is not a symbol of an idealogical standpoint.

So yeah, I hate certain people because of the symbols they associate themselves with because it represents thier ideological frame of reference. That is completely different than hating someone because of the color of thier skin. You know that, and if you don't, you are stupid.

If you really believe the crap you say, why don't you don an SS officer's uniform, carry a nazi flag and go goosestepping down the streets of Tel Aviv? Or how about this...mount a burning cross on your bitchin camaro, jump into some white sheets and drive down the streets of Atlanta, GA?

Yes, certain symbols get coopted by nut jobs, and when they do, society as a whole shuns them. For good reason.

As for the "Elvis" example you cited, do you find a bunch of babies named "Hitler" running around?

jwhit
08-12-2006, 10:12 AM
i can't believe what i'm reading... 99 percent of you have no idea what i said. you can't even comprehend what the original poster said. but i'm the idiot? unbelievable.

jspchief
08-12-2006, 10:18 AM
i can't believe what i'm reading... 99 percent of you have no idea what i said. you can't even comprehend what the original poster said. but i'm the idiot? unbelievable.Yea, pretty much everyone missed the point.

Although it wasn't presented in the most understandable way in the thread starter.

cdcox
08-12-2006, 10:22 AM
i can't believe what i'm reading... 99 percent of you have no idea what i said. you can't even comprehend what the original poster said. but i'm the idiot? unbelievable.

22 different people have responded to this thread so far, not counting me or you. Of those it's obvious that 2 did understand what you were saying. Some others were making coments not related to what you said. But at most 20/22x100% = 90.9% of the people that responded to the thread have no idea what you said.

Vegas_Dave
08-12-2006, 10:51 AM
22 different people have responded to this thread so far, not counting me or you. Of those it's obvious that 2 did understand what you were saying. Some others were making coments not related to what you said. But at most 20/22x100% = 90.9% of the people that responded to the thread have no idea what you said.

I understand that.

Fat Elvis
08-12-2006, 10:56 AM

No, it's just that most of us have been very aware of the double standard to which you've alluded to long before you ever brought it up on TV. Hell, even Oprah beat you to the punch.

jwhit
08-12-2006, 10:58 AM
dude, i've been saying this for years...in my column, on radio..

cdcox
08-12-2006, 11:03 AM

True. You've expressed dismay at many aspects of the African American male culture for years.

jwhit
08-12-2006, 11:09 AM
thanks, cd.... i wish some of these guys could find something better to do than mischaracterizing what i do and what i stand for...

Coach
08-12-2006, 11:10 AM
So jwhit, I take it you'll be watching the game tonight?

What are the area(s) that you would be most concerned in?

Fat Elvis
08-12-2006, 12:16 PM

OK, I'll take your word on that. Nothing personal, I just don't listen to talk radio or read the Star so I don't know how long you've been espousing these views. I just know it was brought up today in the forum as something new, so I took it as that....

My mistake.

Vegas_Dave
08-12-2006, 12:44 PM
So jwhit, I take it you'll be watching the game tonight?

What are the area(s) that you would be most concerned in?

I too would be interested in this.

I think that most of us are looking primarily at 2 things:
- Safetys Pollard & Page
- Kyle Turley

chagrin
08-12-2006, 12:53 PM
I understand that.

ROFL
Glad I'm not the only one

chagrin
08-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Hey, if you're really whitlock, that some dumb ass shit you said about New Orleans last week on PTI.