PDA

View Full Version : KC Star - Tough NFL Debut for Printers

Count Alex's Wins
08-13-2006, 02:17 AM
Former CFL quarterback throws an interception, loses a fumble and is sacked five times.

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

“From where I was standing, I just couldn’t find the open guy. I’m not sure if there were guys open that I couldn’t see. It was just tough going tonight."

HOUSTON | - Casey Printers stared blankly into his locker in the cramped visitors dressing room at Reliant Stadium, apparently oblivious of the small crowd of reporters waiting to speak with him.

When he was interrupted from his trance, Printers was mentally dragged back to the nightmare that was his first NFL game. Printers replaced Trent Green at quarterback for the Chiefs in the second quarter of their 24-14 preseason loss to Houston and couldn’t be blamed if he wanted to head back to the Canadian Football League.

Printers completed six of 12 passes for 71 yards, more than half of which came on a 44-yard pass to Chris Hannon late in the game.

Along the way, Printers threw an interception, lost a fumble, had an intentional-grounding penalty that cost the Chiefs a field-goal attempt and was sacked five times.

As NFL debuts go, this wasn’t the stuff of dreams.

“He’s got to go through that,” Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said. “It’s the growing pains of a quarterback.

“He was a little jittery at times. But he made a great throw (to Hannon). He kept his poise for the most part. He lost it a couple of times. That’s the process of trying to let a young quarterback play.”

Edwards said he never seriously considered yanking Printers, even for the quarterback’s own benefit. Edwards had little realistic choice but to stay with Printers.

The only other available quarterbacks were Green, whom Edwards didn’t want to subject to an injury, and Jeff Smoker, who signed only Wednesday.

Damon Huard and Brodie Croyle were injured and didn’t suit up.

“I just don’t pull the rug out from underneath the quarterback,” Edwards said. “He’s going to learn a lot from this.

“He was a little bit down after the first series or so when he couldn’t get anything started. I told him: ‘Hey, you’ve got a lot of plays left. You’ve got to just keep playing. I’m not going to yank you out of the game.’ ”

Printers disputed his coach’s assertion that he lost confidence.

“I always know you have the next play,” he said. “I never dropped my head or anything like that.

“Never do I get down on myself at all. If you get down on yourself, you can’t come back and compete at the very end like we did.”

He didn’t dispute the fact his NFL debut wasn’t pretty. The Chiefs scored a touchdown with Printers at quarterback in the final 2 minutes, but only after Houston fumbled a punt that the Chiefs recovered at the Texans 7.

“From where I was standing, I just couldn’t find the open guy,” he said. “I’m not sure if there were guys open that I couldn’t see. It was just tough going tonight.

“We were just running our basic package. We weren’t throwing a lot of different things at them. It just so happens they were taking away a lot of the things we like to throw.”

Moooo
08-13-2006, 02:21 AM
I don't know a lot about this stuff, but I was impressed with some of his stuff.

I liked how he stuck in there and threw some incomplete passes. I'd much rather see that than him tucking and running after looking for 2 options.

I tried to see if his footwork stayed still. It seemed to from the little I noticed.

Moooo

Tribal Warfare
08-13-2006, 04:10 AM
great athlete, but average reading ability

he doesn't check off well at all

hawkchief
08-13-2006, 12:32 PM
great athlete, but average reading ability

he doesn't check off well at all

I'd like to see what he can do with an NFL line in front of him instead of a seive. He had absolutely zero chance to show his game with the complete lack of protection given him in the game.

Demonpenz
08-13-2006, 12:33 PM
printers is garbage and he needs to get his head out of his ass. Grounding on the last play of the half? Give me a ****ing break and read a rule book.

58-4ever
08-13-2006, 12:39 PM
printers is garbage and he needs to get his head out of his ass. Grounding on the last play of the half? Give me a ****ing break and read a rule book.

It was his FIRST game. Though, he did look like complete crap. He would've completed a few of of those third downs if he would've just tucked it and ran with the ball. That might have lead to a scoring drive or two and a whole different perception of this guy.

arrowheadnation
08-13-2006, 12:41 PM
I like mobile quarterbacks. Especially fast ones that wear #7. Ok, so I was hoping to see Mike Vick out there. I really hope he becomes our #2 man.

Moooo
08-13-2006, 12:46 PM
It was his FIRST game. Though, he did look like complete crap. He would've completed a few of of those third downs if he would've just tucked it and ran with the ball. That might have lead to a scoring drive or two and a whole different perception of this guy.

See that's what I liked, is that he didn't tuck and run.

In the NFL you pass first, pass second, and run third :) I want to see him hanging in there until the last second looking for options, especially considering the games now are for development.

I know he can run, I want to see him looking at 4th and 5th options, and then running. And I'd much rather see (in a preseason game) him throwing an incomplete pass to a reciever downfield, than tucking and running. He doesn't learn anything from that.

Moooo

Demonpenz
08-13-2006, 12:48 PM

It looked like his first game ever. I was amazed he was able to take a snap without completely ****ing that up. Seriously you might want to take the time out of your busy day of being a shitty quarterback to read a ****ing rulebook

hypersensitiveZO6
08-13-2006, 12:49 PM
I was a believer at TC, but after this game.....

Printers= practice squad, at best.

Trent Green
Damon Huard
Brodie Croyle

jidar
08-13-2006, 12:55 PM
He was absolutely awful.

luv
08-13-2006, 12:59 PM
He was absolutely awful.
I wouldn't say that...

Preseason is good for trying different things out. You can do that during practice, but I think it would be different during a game.

Moooo
08-13-2006, 01:01 PM
I don't care how awful he looked. He showed good discipline for staying in the pocket, even to the point of taking a sack. Trying to get rid of that instinct of dropping and running at the slightest bit of pressure is hard, and he showed some great upside with that, something that you don't see in statistics.

I'd rather him take those sacks, his two carries, and a 50% completion rating than have an 80% completion rating, 2 sacks, and 10 carries. It means he's learning how to be an NFL QB, and stay in that pocket until everything else fails.

And all of the articles before this said he was a project. I don't see why everyone thought he was going to look impressive in his first game.

Moooo

jspchief
08-13-2006, 01:04 PM
printers is garbage and he needs to get his head out of his ass. Grounding on the last play of the half? Give me a ****ing break and read a rule book.Does the CFL have an intentional grounding rule? For some reason I don't think they do.

Agree that he didn't go through progressions well, but he was under a lot of pressure. The thing I was most disappointed with was his mechanics and his touch on the passes. He doesn't do a good job of stepping into his throws. We're going to see a lot of floaters and low throws if he keeps that up.

Demonpenz
08-13-2006, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't say that...

Preseason is good for trying different things out. You can do that during practice, but I think it would be different during a game.

No you use your spare time to "Try things out" Preseason is when you fine tune your game to get ready for the season. Now is not the time to be dicking around.

Moooo
08-13-2006, 01:17 PM
No you use your spare time to "Try things out" Preseason is when you fine tune your game to get ready for the season. Now is not the time to be dicking around.

I disagree. You work on your plays during practice. Almost no coach shows his gameplan for the rest of the year in preseason. Its all about trying things out in a live game environment.

I could be wrong, but I get the entirely opposite impression when I'm watching preseason games. Sure, a lot of stuff is figured out before a game, but the emphasis IMO is on seeing what works in a real game.

Fine tuning is what the first quarter is for, but after that, I don't think its near as much of a factor.

Moooo

Demonpenz
08-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Maybe printers could try this out. It's a crazy idea i know. How about completing a pass. AMAZING!

milkman
08-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Does the CFL have an intentional grounding rule? For some reason I don't think they do.

Agree that he didn't go through progressions well, but he was under a lot of pressure. The thing I was most disappointed with was his mechanics and his touch on the passes. He doesn't do a good job of stepping into his throws. We're going to see a lot of floaters and low throws if he keeps that up.

I agree with the observations about his reading through progressions.

The one thing that really stood out was how quickly Trent made decisions and got rid of the ball.

Printers wasn't nearly as efficient.

That just shows us the kind of command that Trent has in this offense, and that Printers played exactly like he should.

He's trying to assimilate alot of information in a short time, while at the same time trying to use that information in a game situation.

We, as fans, should recognize this fact, and judge his performance based on that.

He has a long way to go, but he wasn't terrible.

luv
08-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Maybe printers could try this out. It's a crazy idea i know. How about completing a pass. AMAZING!
It was his first game in a different environment. I think he'll progress positively with time.

wazu
08-13-2006, 03:49 PM
I've been rooting for Croyle to be the QBOTF, but I actually saw some things I liked from Printers last night. He had a couple of nice scrambles, and even though it was a hell of a night, he seemed to be fighting through it and continuing to attack.

The stat sheet may look ugly, but I saw some potential. Remember how completely awful Peyton Manning looked his entire first season in the NFL?

Demonpenz
08-13-2006, 04:02 PM
comparing peyton to printers. Only on the planet

wazu
08-13-2006, 04:12 PM
comparing peyton to printers. Only on the planet

They're practically the same quarterback.

Chieftain58
08-13-2006, 04:28 PM
The O-Line couldn't give him anytime to even set to make a read.. All the blame can't go to him.

Vancouver Canuck
08-13-2006, 04:51 PM
The stat that sticks out to me is that he was sacked five times. That shows to me that he was really looking to find the open receiver.

I didn't see the game, but in Canada, when Printers had time, he was always able to step up in the pocket and fire the ball like a cannon straight on the numbers. Did the O-Line give him no support? Probably. We had a crappy O-Line in BC but he always seemed to find a way around it.

If you put him in with the starting offensive line, he'd do better.

Give him a couple more games and he'll find his niche in the NFL. He's good enough to make it as a second or third stringer.

---

And yes, we do have the intentional grounding rule in Canada.

Moooo
08-13-2006, 04:53 PM
The stat that sticks out to me is that he was sacked five times. That shows to me that he was really looking to find the open receiver.

I didn't see the game, but in Canada, when Printers had time, he was always able to step up in the pocket and fire the ball like a cannon straight on the numbers. Did the O-Line give him no support? Probably. We had a crappy O-Line in BC but he always seemed to find a way around it.

If you put him in with the starting offensive line, he'd do better.

Give him a couple more games and he'll find his niche in the NFL. He's good enough to make it as a second or third stringer.

---

And yes, we do have the intentional grounding rule in Canada.

Thank you! :)

In the NFL you gotta hang in there and look for the recievers. I'd rather him get sacked five times than not bother looking and just bring it down and run.

Moooo

Vancouver Canuck
08-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Then again, I'm Canadian, so what do I know about football? ;)

Moooo
08-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Then again, I'm Canadian, so what do I know about football? ;)

Your country invented Hockey... you get a free pass...

Eh? :)

Moooo

noa
08-13-2006, 05:01 PM
I thought he did fine. He has to learn learn that in the NFL, he can't make that throw that ended up as an interception, but you only learn that from experience. You can't overlook the fact that he was under pressure the entire game. I didn't watch the game until this morning, after I had read all of the analysis, and it sounded like his last-second intentional grounding was something shameful, but really, he was under pressure and just chucked the ball out of there. It wasn't like he threw the ball three yards. The announcers were actually praising him until the penalty was called. All in all, I am not too worried about him. I think he'll make a decent back up once he picks up the game a little more. His first deep pass to Webb was great, the defender just made a good play, and his other deep pass was good, too.

Mr. Laz
08-13-2006, 05:15 PM
he looked overwhelmed ... i imagine his CFL playbook pales in comparison to the Chiefs.

the question is ... "can he learn or is he kordell stewart?"

KCBOSS1
08-13-2006, 05:34 PM

Well step to the plate on your first NFL game where the line is collapsing like a house of cards and where more people watch pre-season games than your championship game in the CFL and let's see how you do.

I don't think that we can tell much about him right now. good speed, good arm, fair to poor reads. We have no idea what he can do because the O-line was still playing 2-hand touch.

KCBOSS1
08-13-2006, 05:35 PM
To me, anything is an improvement on Collins and Huard.

Vancouver Canuck
08-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Actually, Printers never played in the Grey Cup game in 2004.

He brought us there when Dave Dickenson went down, was named CFL MVP the week before the game, and held a clipboard as the Lions lost to the Argonauts. Had he played, he'd still be up in Canada right now.

Halfcan
08-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Go back to Canada-eh!

cdcox
08-13-2006, 05:57 PM
I like mobile quarterbacks. Especially fast ones that wear #7. Ok, so I was hoping to see Mike Vick out there.

Uh, you did.