PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Zillow.com?

Logical
08-13-2006, 07:05 AM
Pretty cool way to find the current market value of your home. Just type in your address and zip code. Mine came up at $950K. Gotta love that Ca real estate escalation mine has went up almost double since 2001 and I now have more equity than I paid for the home.

trndobrd
08-13-2006, 07:15 AM
"No homes found meeting that description"

Logical
08-13-2006, 07:17 AM
"No homes found meeting that description"At your address?

trndobrd
08-13-2006, 07:20 AM
At my address and for a general search for the entire neighborhood.

Logical
08-13-2006, 07:23 AM
At my address and for a general search for the entire neighborhood.Sorry it did not work for you.

Logical
08-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Sorry it did not work for you.If you want to see how it works just ask and I will PM you my address.

Mojo Rising
08-13-2006, 07:25 AM
Other useful sites are www.realestateabc.com and www.ditech.com (go to calculators and then free epraisal.)

They are useful.

How is the market in SD?

In SF it has been slower. Houses under a mil have been OK but over have been on the market a while.

Logical
08-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Other useful sites are www.realestateabc.com (http://www.realestateabc.com) and www.ditech.com (http://www.ditech.com) (go to calculators and then free epraisal.)

They are useful.

How is the market in SD?

In SF it has been slower. Houses under a mil have been OK but over have been on the market a while.Still growing but at a slower rate than it had been.

trndobrd
08-13-2006, 07:39 AM
Spent some more time looking around on the site, it's just a Beta version and they only have 3% of my state information in the system

Mojo Rising
08-13-2006, 07:45 AM
It will continue to be slower for the both of us. I suspect that it might even fall back some. That will be OK with me because I want to move to another neighborhood and if I sell for less and buy for less my property tax will be less.

If I were to move today to an equal property my tax would double. If I remember correctly you are over 50 so you can carry your cost basis...being a young pup I can't.

Ouch...another $5,000/year just to move.

My buddy in Orange County has had his house on the market at the zillowish price for 7 months now. Just because it says you can sell it for that doesn't mean you'll get it.

A wise man said, "Your house is worth what someone is willing to pay for it."

Phobia
08-13-2006, 07:49 AM
My house came out just about right so the site must work.

trndobrd
08-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Other useful sites are www.realestateabc.com and www.ditech.com (go to calculators and then free epraisal.)

They are useful.

How is the market in SD?

In SF it has been slower. Houses under a mil have been OK but over have been on the market a while.

realestateabc.com = nada

ditech.com = lot size and sq ft (incorrect) plus a $50k price range

fortunately, I can still remember what I paid for the house 5 months ago

SCTrojan
08-13-2006, 07:57 AM
I've used the site to check out the value of houses around mine. We recently bought, and the site pretty much validated the price we paid. It's pretty cool to see what my neighbors' houses are worth.

Logical
08-13-2006, 08:04 AM
realestateabc.com = nada

ditech.com = lot size and sq ft (incorrect) plus a $50k price range

fortunately, I can still remember what I paid for the house 5 months ago

I don't recall where you are from but if it is CA then about all you can realistically expect is a 50K range. Prices move to swiftly around the state.

Mojo Rising
08-13-2006, 08:07 AM
I've used the site to check out the value of houses around mine. We recently bought, and the site pretty much validated the price we paid. It's pretty cool to see what my neighbors' houses are worth.

Did you go to SC?

My cousin has a real shot to be the starting Punter this year. The next couple weeks are key for him so send the "MOJO" vibes the next couple of weeks.

They only travel with 1 Punter so back-up will not do.

His older brother was a walk on as a QB and didn't make it a couple years ago. He did get to be NC's assist though and he charted every play in the coaches box. It was cool to see my cousin behind, the brains behind the brains when the TV camera aimed at the offensive coordinator.

WOIDNECK for Punter! #49

chagrin
08-13-2006, 08:08 AM
Sorry it did not work for you.

Well that's okay, at least you got to tout your wealth again :shake:

Logical
08-13-2006, 08:09 AM
Well that's okay, at least you got to tout your wealth again :shake:
What on earth is your problem, are you insecure?

Housing is like this for everyone out here. You don't have to be rich to have a highly valued home. My parents bought their home in the 60s for 20K and it is now worth over a million. That is just the way real estate is out here. They are hardly rich, dad is a retired Chief Petty Officer and his wife a retired teacher.

SCTrojan
08-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Did you go to SC?

My cousin has a real shot to be the starting Punter this year. The next couple weeks are key for him so send the "MOJO" vibes the next couple of weeks.

They only travel with 1 Punter so back-up will not do.

His older brother was a walk on as a QB and didn't make it a couple years ago. He did get to be NC's assist though and he charted every play in the coaches box. It was cool to see my cousin behind, the brains behind the brains when the TV camera aimed at the offensive coordinator.

WOIDNECK for Punter! #49

I did go to SC. I've been reading about your cousin over on a site called wearesc.com. Is he the guy who started at ASU and then transferred out? By all accounts, your cousin kills the ball and is in the thick of it to become the starter.

trndobrd
08-13-2006, 08:22 AM
I don't recall where you are from but if it is CA then about all you can realistically expect is a 50K range. Prices move to swiftly around the state.

KS...the 50k range makes for a 30% variance in price. Not particularly useful.

Logical
08-13-2006, 08:25 AM
KS...the 50k range makes for a 30% variance in price. Not particularly useful.Wow I guess not. Might be an indication of a slow market. Makes it difficult to use comps to evaluate home prices.

Mojo Rising
08-13-2006, 08:29 AM
I did go to SC. I've been reading about your cousin over on a site called wearesc.com. Is he the guy who started at ASU and then transferred out? By all accounts, your cousin kills the ball and is in the thick of it to become the starter.

That is my cousin. I think he will win the job! It is so cool b/c the family (Woidneck side..not Mojo, although we have been fans) has generations of SC ties.

I will attend the game at Stanford!

When he went to ASU as a Freshman the P ahead of him was on scholarship so he transferred to a JC (Mt. Sac) for his Soph year. His plan was that a Pac 10 P slot would open for his Jr. year.

It is a dream that it happened to be SC! His Dad drove the video to Pete's office to get him the shot. Too cool.

trndobrd
08-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Wow I guess not. Might be an indication of a slow market. Makes it difficult to use comps to evaluate home prices.

I didn't expect much from the computer search. No two homes in this area have the same design or size lot. Not a lot of turnover in this neighborhood either. Market is firm, houses get snatched up if they get on the market, but no one moves. One neighbor has been here 27 years, the other 30+ years.

SCTrojan
08-13-2006, 08:37 AM
That is my cousin. I think he will win the job! It is so cool b/c the family (Woidneck side..not Mojo, although we have been fans) has generations of SC ties.

I will attend the game at Stanford!

When he went to ASU as a Freshman the P ahead of him was on scholarship so he transferred to a JC (Mt. Sac) for his Soph year. His plan was that a Pac 10 P slot would open for his Jr. year.

It is a dream that it happened to be SC! His Dad drove the video to Pete's office to get him the shot. Too cool.

I wish your cousin luck this season.

pr_capone
08-13-2006, 08:57 AM
Nothing for wichita

Chieftain58
08-13-2006, 09:56 AM
:)

Mojo Rising
08-13-2006, 10:06 AM
I wish your cousin luck this season.

Looks like he has the job for now:

http://www.presstelegram.com/sports/ci_4149673

nomad
08-13-2006, 10:12 AM
My home came out to 710k, but did not reflect a 700sq ft addition completed 10 years ago to bring the total to 2400+.

Strange that althought the addition is with city/county permits and shows up on our county tax bill as such, this database still reflects the "old" living space sq ft.

Comps in the neighborhood appear accurate, if not somewhat inflated based on what I know have been the selling prices.

I would expect to be able to sell for ~ 750-775k.

Not bad for a 250,500 investment in 1999.

Couldn't afford to buy my own house today though..... paper profits.

ChiefFan31
08-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Housing is like this for everyone out here. You don't have to be rich to have a highly valued home. My parents bought their home in the 60s for 20K and it is now worth over a million. That is just the way real estate is out here. They are hardly rich, dad is a retired Chief Petty Officer and his wife a retired teacher.

I know what you mean, I unfortunately am not part of the Boom that happened here over the last several years, but I have several good friends that have profited nicely by being a homeowner out here.

One friend bought a 3br/2 bath 1,800 sq/ft single story out there for 350K in 02. He is currently trying to sell it around the 650K range. (he has bought a second home that he is living in) Not a bad profit at all.

DaneMcCloud
08-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Zillow.com is a pretty cool website, though it's necessary to add any remodeling costs to get a true value. For fellow Los Angeles Country residents, Zimas.org is a handy tool because it details parcel, assessed value, last purchase prices, square footage, etc. It's helpful to know exactly how much your neighbors paid for their homes or what was paid for specific properties in other areas, especially when looking for a new home.

Rain Man
08-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Hey! I have a squatter. It says that there are two homes with my address.

Maybe one of them is the apartment in my basement. If so, they've got it a bit overvalued, I think.

trndobrd
08-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Hey! I have a squatter. It says that there are two homes with my address.

Maybe one of them is the apartment in my basement. If so, they've got it a bit overvalued, I think.

You better look into that! I've heard gypsies will steal your children and let their goats chew up your flower beds.

Rain Man
08-13-2006, 02:09 PM
Dang it. How did I miss this? There's a gypsy caravan on my front lawn.