PDA

View Full Version : Royals shake up front office

Cochise
08-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Picollo, Francisco added to front office
McGinn, Rowland let go to make room for duo with Braves ties

KANSAS CITY -- J.J. Picollo, former director of Minor League operations for the Atlanta Braves, is joining the Royals in a similar capacity.

The Royals confirmed the move Sunday shortly after the Braves announced that Picollo had been replaced by Kurt Kemp. Picollo will be the Royals' director of player development.

"J.J. is a real sharp guy and everybody likes him," Royals general manager Dayton Moore said.

Moore, who came to the Royals from Atlanta, said Picollo made a quick impression with the Braves.

"We were in the playoffs about two years ago and we just had J.J. as [assistant] farm director for about a month and he almost knew everybody in the fan club already," Moore said.

But it's not the fan club but the farm clubs that will concern Picollo as he takes over for Shaun McGinn, who was dismissed as senior director of Minor League operations.

"We have offered Shaun a scouting position. I hope he takes it; I like Shaun," Moore said. "But who knows?"

Moore also dismissed Donny Rowland as senior director of player personnel. Rowland's duties included Latin American scouting.

He is being replaced by Rene Francisco, who has been the Braves' director of international scouting. Francisco will join the Royals as a special assistant to the general manager/international operations.

Picollo was named the Braves' Minor League director in November 2005 after being assistant director of player development. He joined the Braves as a scout in 1999. He went to George Mason University, where Moore was an assistant baseball coach.

McGinn has been with the Royals for seven years, joining the Minor League department in 1999. This was his second year as senior director of the department.

Francisco returned to the Braves organization this year after three years with the Los Angeles Dodgers. Before that, he served the Braves for 10 years in various scouting roles and was instrumental in signing such players as Rafael Furcal and Wilson Betemit.

We got the Braves' director of minor league operations and their director of international scouting?

What a coup. :clap:

Deberg_1990
08-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Hell yea!!! Its about time they shook up the minor leage system and scouting dept.

Moooo
Moore's already convinced me in his short tenure that he has the team's betterment in mind.

That being said whatever he needs to surround himself with in order to make him work at full efficiency is good by me.

Maybe we'll get some pitching going with all these Braves scouts and personnel... :)

Moooo

Spicy McHaggis
Good news for the Royals. Moore has done nothing except further my confidence in him since taking the job. Jeez, it will be nice to be good again.

Pitt Gorilla
08-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Moore's already convinced me in his short tenure that he has the team's betterment in mind.

That being said whatever he needs to surround himself with in order to make him work at full efficiency is good by me.

Maybe we'll get some pitching going with all these Braves scouts and personnel... :)

MooooThe Braves currently don't have much in terms of pitching prospects. Most of their good prospects are position players (much like us).

DJay23
08-13-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm actually very excited to see what Moore can do with the Royals.

My only concern: Will Glass give him what he needs to get us competing.

Deberg_1990
08-13-2006, 09:14 PM
My only concern: Will Glass give him what he needs to get us competing.

Everything i have read is that Moore refused to sign before Glass gave him 100% control.

DJay23
08-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Everything i have read is that Moore refused to sign before Glass gave him 100% control.
By "what he needs" I meant "money." Is Moore gonna say, "I need 16 mill a year to sign All-Star Free Agent X" and Glass is actually gonna pony up?

keg in kc
08-13-2006, 10:54 PM
By "what he needs" I meant "money." Is Moore gonna say, "I need 16 mill a year to sign All-Star Free Agent X" and Glass is actually gonna pony up?I think we've seen enough already to believe he will. We gave a major leage contract to a draft pick for the first time since Bo Jackson, we traded a crapload of players before the non-waiver deadline and we're obviously overhauling the front office now. It seems pretty clear that Moore has a free hand and a lot has changed from the Baird tenure.

And I'm starting to think that I was mistaken in the past, and maybe it was more Baird than Glass the last few years, or perhaps more a combination of the two, than Baird simply being handcuffed. Maybe Baird got what he asked for, too. Hard to tell. Although it's certainly entirely possible that the collective Glasses finally woke up and realized that they know absolutely nothing about baseball (personnel-wise), and they decided to step back and let Moore handle that (as his VP title indicates...).

Halfcan
08-13-2006, 10:58 PM
WOW

Moooo
08-13-2006, 11:00 PM
I think we've seen enough already to believe he will. We gave a major leage contract to a draft pick for the first time since Bo Jackson, we traded a crapload of players before the non-waiver deadline and we're obviously overhauling the front office now. It seems pretty clear that Moore has a free hand and a lot has changed from the Baird tenure.

And I'm starting to think that I was mistaken in the past, and maybe it was more Baird than Glass the last few years, or perhaps more a combination of the two, than Baird simply being handcuffed. Maybe Baird got what he asked for, too. Hard to tell. Although it's certainly entirely possible that the collective Glasses finally woke up and realized that they know absolutely nothing about baseball (personnel-wise), and they decided to step back and let Moore handle that (as his VP title indicates...).

Here's a theory. Maybe Glass knew he needed to do something and decided that a change at GM would be the perfect time to change his strategy in order to deflect some of the blame...

He's sneaky like that, it wouldn't surprise me. The guy is fortunate enough to own an MLB franchise and he doesn't even utilize what it is capable of... Maybe that's changed, though.

Moooo

tk13
08-13-2006, 11:05 PM
By "what he needs" I meant "money." Is Moore gonna say, "I need 16 mill a year to sign All-Star Free Agent X" and Glass is actually gonna pony up?
If the people come to the ballpark and provide the financial means to do such a thing, yes. Dayton addressed that in an interview I read a while back. With the state of this franchise you can't just go out and say "Well fork over the money", but he handled the question pretty well. He said that he's not going to ask Mr. Glass to lose money on the team, he doesn't believe he should even run his own family that way, he's not going to ask Mr. Glass to do that. But... hopefully we can build a core of young players that will win... and when we do, hopefully people will come to the ballpark, and we will be able to increase payroll accordingly as they do. Moore seemed to think there wasn't any reason the Royals couldn't be middle of the pack in payroll, but they need to win first, and when they win hopefully the attendance will go up. Which is pretty much how it works. If you win and people come to the ballpark, you can re-sign some guys like the Twins have. If you don't, you end up with the Marlins who have to reload every few years because their attendance stinks.

Although to be fair, we tried to spend money last year. We apparently went after several FA's including Furcal, but they didn't want anything to do with us. And there were other pitchers out there that took less money with other teams over coming to the Royals. I don't think Glass is too afraid to spend money, I think he's just spent it poorly.

beavis
08-13-2006, 11:15 PM
Here's a theory. Maybe Glass knew he needed to do something and decided that a change at GM would be the perfect time to change his strategy in order to deflect some of the blame...

He's sneaky like that, it wouldn't surprise me. The guy is fortunate enough to own an MLB franchise and he doesn't even utilize what it is capable of... Maybe that's changed, though.

Moooo
So the guy decided he was doing something wrong, made a change in his general philosphy, and you still want to call him out?

I really don't get it. Sometimes I think the Royals could have a $100 million payroll, win multiple World Series', and people would still bitch because Glass didn't switch back to powder blue uniforms.

Moooo
08-13-2006, 11:24 PM
So the guy decided he was doing something wrong, made a change in his general philosphy, and you still want to call him out?

I really don't get it. Sometimes I think the Royals could have a $100 million payroll, win multiple World Series', and people would still bitch because Glass didn't switch back to powder blue uniforms.

I think he should be accountable for his previous actions. But I'm willing to move on. I was just making an observation more than anything, I hold no grudges against the guy anymore if he's really moving in the right direction.

I do know that we're basing all of this over the last two months. I've been ecstatic during them, but yet I think I need to give Glass an offseason worth of decisions before I decide he's a changed man. But even with what he's doing now he's alright. He still hasn't really freed up the pocket book, that's what I'm curious about.

I'm waay to laid back to hold a grudge against anyone, letalone someone I've never met, and has never personally done anything wrong. Though I did have to drop a class at Missouri State that was in David Glass Hall... grrrr.... :)

Moooo

keg in kc
08-13-2006, 11:35 PM
I don't think Glass is too afraid to spend money, I think he's just spent it poorly.Kind of the same thing some folks think about Peterson/Hunt. It's not that they don't spend on the team, it's not like the Chiefs aren't really trying to win (as opposed to just fill the seats) it's just that they don't always sign the right people...

Maybe true to a degree with the Royals, as well. I certainly think we've seen a change in philosophy since Moore came aboard, an immediate and much greater committment towards pitching, although at the same time, he's able to do that in part (and the 2008 team may contend in part) because of the position players Baird put in position in the minors.

Either way, change is obviously in the air.

Pitt Gorilla
08-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Although to be fair, we tried to spend money last year. We apparently went after several FA's including Furcal, but they didn't want anything to do with us. And there were other pitchers out there that took less money with other teams over coming to the Royals. I don't think Glass is too afraid to spend money, I think he's just spent it poorly.That reminds me of the folks around here who wanted us to shell out millions for AJ Burnett.

Demonpenz
08-14-2006, 12:11 AM
i just hope we get that long term deal with burgos!

Ari Chi3fs
08-14-2006, 12:19 AM
my guess is Dayton spends some coin on One major pitching free agent this offseason... he is gonna try to get a real number one... for about a 3 year deal.. probably a solid #2-3 pitcher may be sought after, also.

This is killer news. Glad the Royals are doing shit to make it happen.

Moooo
08-14-2006, 12:22 AM
my guess is Dayton spends some coin on One major pitching free agent this offseason... he is gonna try to get a real number one... for about a 3 year deal.. probably a solid #2-3 pitcher may be sought after, also.

This is killer news. Glad the Royals are doing shit to make it happen.

What I wouldn't give to get Hernandez out of the rotation.

I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he gets lit up more than a zippo.

Moooo

Demonpenz
08-14-2006, 12:26 AM
Hernedez is the royals spanish ryan sims

Ari Chi3fs
08-14-2006, 01:04 AM
Hernedez is the royals spanish ryan sims

They double date at the nearest Krispy Kreme.

keg in kc
08-14-2006, 01:08 AM
What I wouldn't give to get Hernandez out of the rotation.Well, we'll probably see Greinke, Hochevar and Lumsden all by the end of next season or the start of '08, so the rotation is going to change a lot.

And I have a feeling we could be in for an offseason that makes the flurry of trades just before the deadline look like an appetizer.