PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Lights

luv
08-13-2006, 08:34 PM
Well, they made it into a tv series. It's probably just me, but I think it's humorous that it's Friday Night Lights, but it will be on Tuesday nights on NBC.

Valiant
08-13-2006, 08:38 PM
nobody will be home on fridays to see it...

luv
08-13-2006, 08:43 PM
nobody will be home on fridays to see it...
True, they'll all be at high school varsity football games.

Buck
07-16-2010, 06:47 AM
I'm going to start using this thread instead of the Best of the 2000s thread.

I am only half way through season 2 so if you want to talk about stuff that happened after that, please preface your post with a spoiler warning for me. :)

I just finished Episode 210, which was about the Tornado/Rival School sharing campus/Landry confessing his love to Tyra/Buddy Garrity failing to get his wife back/Tim Riggins getting kicked out of the Taylor household for something he didn't do.

This was by far the best episode of season 2, and I was literally sad when the episode ended. Every other episode in season 2 has been just ok, but that one was great.

Buck
07-16-2010, 07:24 AM
Question for the well-versed...is TMU supposed to be the Equivalent of UT-Austin?

phisherman
07-16-2010, 07:30 AM
I always assumed TMU was equivalent to UT.

Buck
07-16-2010, 07:34 AM
I always assumed TMU was equivalent to UT.

Ok cool.

I dont get why some schools are real (Alabama, Texas Tech, USC) and some aren't (TMU, Oklahoma Tech, etc.)

tymania
07-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Question for the well-versed...is TMU supposed to be the Equivalent of UT-Austin?

i think.. or Texas A&M

The Rick
07-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Don't know about others, but I really like FNL. It's such a quality, wholesome show and there aren't many of those on these days. Going to be sad to see it go...

Deberg_1990
07-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Good show...ive only seen it a few times but it was quality.

I think the last few years its been hard to find....it was run on a DirecTV exclusive channel, then later run on NBC during the summer. It also had its budget slashed.

tymania
07-16-2010, 11:08 AM
you guys know that 3/4 of the show is improv right?

Reaper16
07-16-2010, 12:01 PM
TMU started out as a replacement for UT-Austin. But then they decided that UT-Austin exists, too, as you'll see.

Reaper16
07-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Yeah. The actors are kind of amazing on this show.

tymania
07-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah. The actors are kind of amazing on this show.

yeah they are.. excellent cast... great show.. anyone know how much longer its going to be on? one more season?

Gracie Dean
07-16-2010, 12:53 PM
I think this is the last season.

I want to see East Dillion kick the old team's ass! I hate that smarmy rich kid and his family that think they know everything. Grr they make me mad

tymania
07-16-2010, 01:12 PM

I want to see East Dillion kick the old team's ass! I hate that smarmy rich kid and his family that think they know everything. Grr they make me mad

lol yeah he turned into a huge dick this season

OmahaChief
07-16-2010, 01:20 PM

One more season after this one and then it is done from what I have read.

Reaper16
07-16-2010, 01:23 PM
There is a confirmed fifth season.

Sully
07-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Don't know about others, but I really like FNL. It's such a quality, wholesome show and there aren't many of those on these days. Going to be sad to see it go...

Wholesome?

Hydrae
07-16-2010, 02:26 PM
I have never watched this show but I know that one of the "homes" in the show is down the street from a friend of mine here in Austin. They lease the house from the owners for a couple of weeks and do all their shooting then let the people move back in when they are done. Pretty sweet deal from the sound of it.

irishjayhawk
07-16-2010, 03:10 PM

I am only half way through season 2 so if you want to talk about stuff that happened after that, please preface your post with a spoiler warning for me. :)

I just finished Episode 210, which was about the Tornado/Rival School sharing campus/Landry confessing his love to Tyra/Buddy Garrity failing to get his wife back/Tim Riggins getting kicked out of the Taylor household for something he didn't do.

This was by far the best episode of season 2, and I was literally sad when the episode ended. Every other episode in season 2 has been just ok, but that one was great.

Ah, you reached superb character moment #1 in Season 2. It was a good one.

I wonder what you think of the shower scene, if you've gotten to it yet. (I think not.)

As someone on the show said, it's what they thought making movies/tv would be before they started making movies/tv.

There is a confirmed fifth season.

Yep. And there will be some cameos, in case people wondered.

arrowheadnation
07-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Love this show. I can't wait for it to come on NBC so I watch it on the computer when it airs on Direct TV.

Reaper16
07-16-2010, 05:10 PM
MAY BE SPOILERS AHEAD

Reaper, I'm curious how you rank 4 with 1 & 3. I'm on episode 10 and I can't help but recommit to Season 4 being a tale of two halves.

On the one hand, you have an ambitious, very Wire-like expose on the rural, Southern, black-white relationship as well as the rich and poor model. In all of these story lines, the show succeeds.

On the other, you have a very melodramatic - dare I say "soapish" - half. These story lines include Becky (can't stand her character) and Glenn. These story lines take the ambitious nature of the other side to take on individual issues. Well, mainly Becky. But it fails to retain any authentic feel. It doesn't feel like anything but a stereotypical television political debate. And I can't help but be put off by it. That said, the Becky story line has a moment which I thought was very, very good. In fact, it was even subtly mentioned in a conversation between Coach and Mrs. Coach: Tim Riggins thinking Mrs. T would be the person to help Becky. In this way, it reminded me a lot of season 2 and the sprinkled moments therein.

Speaking of Glenn though, brings up another issue I have with the show. Actually, come to think of it, it's another parallel with Season 2 and the sexy nurse. The crux of my problem is that it seems within the show's usually authentic Dillon, the characters seem to get on each other at an alarming pace. A side effect of this is that there is almost zero platonic male-female relationships. Indeed, the only one I can think of is Landry and the girl in his band. Sadly, the reason seems quite evident. (Trying not to spoil.) Now, Julie and habitat hookup seem to have an adequate explanation even though I don't think it was necessary. I'm hoping I can take Mrs. T's line as evidence that the writers know what they're opening up.

All in all, Season 4, to me, seems to have all the good from the first and third seasons (especially the lead into and the episode of "The Son") yet afterwards seemed to implode under it's own ambition. Instead of telling about Dillon, they seem to want to make a point about elsewhere when they were already doing that quite well without making it obvious. It looks like it's going to continue down the Season 2 path. I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I finally finished season 4.

Spoilers beware.

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about Season 4. Last I reported, I was of two minds and I think I still am. While the last three episodes I watched seemed to return to Season 3 form - if very, very predictable - and that was a good thing. I would also like to point out that Season 4 brought us our second boy-girl platonic relationship: Becky and Riggins. So, there's that big plus.

Basically, I'm just a little troubled by the middle episodes. From the way they started the abortion line (which actually didn't turn out as bad as I thought it would) to Matt and Julie's relationship/catastrophe, which felt a bit One Tree Hill-ish but yet also very real given the small town. That is, I could see something like that happening as many characters have explored leaving their town and have had hardships doing so.

All in all I think my rankings go:

Season 1
Season 3

Season 4

Season 2

I'm hoping season 5 can take season 4 and one up it to send off FNL with a nice finish.

I re-watched season 4 with your concerns in mind. My conclusion: I don't agree with you at all (Or Sepinwall's wrap-up take talking about all these "flaws," which are actually things he would have preferred happen rather than what did).

I think that episodes 8 and 9 are just-okay, other than that I think season 4 is fantastic. I certainly didn't have any problems whatsoever with the abortion storyline. That is the best abortion storyline of any show ever. None of the relationship stuff felt "One Tree Hill-ish" like they did to you. Authenticity abounds throughout the season the way I see it.

The only real flaws in season 4 to me are small logical flaws, such as Dillon magically becoming a lot larger than previously thought; conjuring the East side out of thin air, or the East Dillon Lions getting what seemed like three bye weeks in the first seven weeks of the season.

We saw the same season of television but managed to see it very differently.

irishjayhawk
07-16-2010, 06:25 PM
I re-watched season 4 with your concerns in mind. My conclusion: I don't agree with you at all (Or Sepinwall's wrap-up take talking about all these "flaws," which are actually things he would have preferred happen rather than what did).

True, he did lean that way.

I think that episodes 8 and 9 are just-okay, other than that I think season 4 is fantastic. I certainly didn't have any problems whatsoever with the abortion storyline. That is the best abortion storyline of any show ever. None of the relationship stuff felt "One Tree Hill-ish" like they did to you. Authenticity abounds throughout the season the way I see it.

Actually, the abortion story line grew on me. I thought it was over when I posted the first post. And I'm not sure why I included the abortion story line in the same sentence as One Tree Hill-ish. That said, I did find the Matt-Julie relationship to be a bit One Tree Hill-ish but I think it's more due to my investment in Matt (so close to him personality wise) and the relationship. That and I thought his sendoff was an after thought. Riggins got a much better one.

I did see some of the authenticity you did. Matt and Julie's relationship ending did seem very in line with a small town aura. As far as the show goes, I do think they've done a really good job keeping Dillon, Dillon. It has never wavered from that point. As much as I'm anti-religious and not a fan of Season 2, I did like Lyla's exploration in the Christian sect. I thought it added a really good dimension into Texas religion. More so than the Sunday church scenes at Smash's and the Taylor's churches.

Anyway, as for the abortion story line, I might actually agree that it was the best on television. I loved the political/school board side and almost wish they would have done more with it. My reasoning for not liking it probably still resides in Becky as an actor. I just didn't like her.

The only real flaws in season 4 to me are small logical flaws, such as Dillon magically becoming a lot larger than previously thought; conjuring the East side out of thin air, or the East Dillon Lions getting what seemed like three bye weeks in the first seven weeks of the season.

Did you find it absurd that the final episode was both very predictable and also a bit questionable (could the Lions actually win that game?)

We saw the same season of television but managed to see it very differently.

I think my first post came off as too negative. Indeed, in ranking them, I put it only a couple notches down. Season 2, we agree, is the worst. And, as I said, I liked the strong ending (there's your answer to the above question) in Season 4 and am amped for Season 5.

I would like to know why we haven't seen a single story line or player on the defensive side. It could add for some good sequences on the field and give a little balance.

Reaper16
07-16-2010, 06:50 PM
True, he did lean that way.

Actually, the abortion story line grew on me. I thought it was over when I posted the first post. And I'm not sure why I included the abortion story line in the same sentence as One Tree Hill-ish. That said, I did find the Matt-Julie relationship to be a bit One Tree Hill-ish but I think it's more due to my investment in Matt (so close to him personality wise) and the relationship. That and I thought his sendoff was an after thought. Riggins got a much better one.

I did see some of the authenticity you did. Matt and Julie's relationship ending did seem very in line with a small town aura. As far as the show goes, I do think they've done a really good job keeping Dillon, Dillon. It has never wavered from that point. As much as I'm anti-religious and not a fan of Season 2, I did like Lyla's exploration in the Christian sect. I thought it added a really good dimension into Texas religion. More so than the Sunday church scenes at Smash's and the Taylor's churches.

Anyway, as for the abortion story line, I might actually agree that it was the best on television. I loved the political/school board side and almost wish they would have done more with it. My reasoning for not liking it probably still resides in Becky as an actor. I just didn't like her.

Did you find it absurd that the final episode was both very predictable and also a bit questionable (could the Lions actually win that game?)

I think my first post came off as too negative. Indeed, in ranking them, I put it only a couple notches down. Season 2, we agree, is the worst. And, as I said, I liked the strong ending (there's your answer to the above question) in Season 4 and am amped for Season 5.

I would like to know why we haven't seen a single story line or player on the defensive side. It could add for some good sequences on the field and give a little balance.

I like everything that the show has ever done with faith. I don't have a single issue with Smash's church or the Taylor's church. I also like how positive faith is throught the series; it gives it a bigger impact in season 4 when people go apeshit over Becky's abortion and Tami's involvement with it. Christianity is set up in this way to be much like football in Dillon - positive in a lot of ways but so entrenched in its power that any attempts to rock the boat are met with savage resistance.

The final game of season 4... there is something to be said about the game in that I really didn't know if Landry would make that FG or not. Both outcomes were definitely within the realm of possibility in the show. Yes, I could see how the Lions could win; the Panthers have never, ever been a good defensive team. The game was probably no more or less realistic in outcome than the 17 or so last drive comebacks that the Panthers orchestrated over the first three seasons. I also like how, despite the Lions winning the game, it is a hollow victory in the face of nearly all our characters getting a raw deal in the dark final three episodes of the season. Perspective is always a nice thing.

A defensive presence would have been really nice starting all the way back in season one. Alas poor Santiago, we hardly knew ye.

Speaking of missed opportunities: Becky should have gone to the Planned Parenthood that Smash's mom works at (provided that the Smash family didn't all move to College Station too). Also, I was waiting for you (and maybe Buck will come though when he gets to season 4) to post something along the lines of "There the fuck is Wallace!" Also, how does this show get Michael B. Jordan (Wallace) and Larry Gilyard, Jr. (D'Angelo Barksdale) on a single episode of FNL and not have them interact one-on-one? We were robbed!

irishjayhawk
07-16-2010, 07:01 PM
I whole heartedly agree re 17 comeback victories and the perspective. I said before Landry kicked it that, he has to make it, with all he's been thru. Same went for everyone, really. In many ways, it was a kick for the town, even though the town is Panther heavy.

Smash's mother is one of the characters I really wish we got to see more of. I absolutely loved her. She knocked it out of the park every time.

And I should have mentioned Wallace and Barksdale. Yes, robbed. Though, I think I prefer Wallace as skinny kid rather than built football player.

On that note, I thought FNL's gang stuff was actually really well done for network TV.

Finally (reversed order), I think the comparison between Dillon football and Christianity is very apt. Ironically, I told my brother (who had already watched all of the show) that the religious stuff better be toned down in later seasons. He said it did. Boy was he wrong, and boy was it for the better. I do wish that the Christian part in season 2 had been someone other than Lyla but still good nonetheless. (I just loath Minka. Her voice. It's like a hot chipmunk.)

Fruit Ninja
07-16-2010, 10:01 PM

want to see sad, just wait for the episode in this last past season with Matt.

Love the show. Its really great quality. I dont know why its not a ratings killer, but then again NBC cant pull ratings for anything really.

Buck
07-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Spoilers!
Posted via Mobile Device

irishjayhawk
07-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Spoilers!
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, that was my bad. I apologize.

Buck
07-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Yes, that was my bad. I apologize.

Not what I was talking about. I avoided your posts on purpose.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck
07-17-2010, 03:13 AM
LOL. Wow.

I left my house earlier tonight to go hangout at a friends, and I had one episode left in season two and I said I would watch it when I got home.

I get home and delete all the episodes off my thumb drive and load the last episode of season 2 onto it, and the first 7 or so from season 3. Well I started watching it, and it was the last episode I watched before I left. I didn't even realize that was the finale. Season 2 was mainly a joke, but I am about to start season 3, so hopefully it gets better.

Fruit Ninja
07-17-2010, 03:33 AM
season 2 was during the writers strike. It ****ed up alot of seasons. Thats why it ended weird.

Buck
07-17-2010, 03:49 AM
They never said so, but I assumed Riggins was a senior in the 2nd season.

irishjayhawk
07-17-2010, 09:24 AM

Nope. He was a sophomore. He and Matt will graduate same year.

Reaper16
07-17-2010, 11:21 AM

Nope. He was a sophomore. He and Matt will graduate same year.
Which is one of FNL's numerous logic holes. In the pilot, Riggins and Street (and Lyla) were all "Texas Forever" best friends ever around a campfire. But Street is actually two grades higher than Riggins and Lyla? That's how it plays out.

People's ages get fudged with a lot. Landry, as it plays out, will have been a freshman in season 1. But he was driving then, so...

irishjayhawk
07-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Which is one of FNL's numerous logic holes. In the pilot, Riggins and Street (and Lyla) were all "Texas Forever" best friends ever around a campfire. But Street is actually two grades higher than Riggins and Lyla? That's how it plays out.

People's ages get fudged with a lot. Landry, as it plays out, will have been a freshman in season 1. But he was driving then, so...

Now that you mention driving, it does sound a lot more unbelievable than I thought. I could buy he and Matt as friends in different grades but yeah he was the "ride" for Matt. Hmmmm.

irishjayhawk
07-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Just rewatched Leave No One Behind (Season 2, Episode 14) while at work.

It's certainly in the top 5 or possibly even 3 of the series. Just fantastic.

Reaper16
07-19-2010, 05:10 PM
I just got hit with a notice of copyright infringement from my ISP for downloading season 4 episodes via torrents last week. NBC Universal apparently was tracking the torrents themselves. Yay.

irishjayhawk
07-19-2010, 08:15 PM
I just got hit with a notice of copyright infringement from my ISP for downloading season 4 episodes via torrents last week. NBC Universal apparently was tracking the torrents themselves. Yay.

What did it say or what are they asking for?

Reaper16
07-19-2010, 08:18 PM
What did it say or what are they asking for?
My ISP was sending this on behalf of NBC Universal so that my ISP will be off the hook for legal liability. It was a first notice, basically a cease and desist (or so I hope), and instructed me that I might be liable for up to $250,000 if NBC Universal wants to take it to court.

I don't think anything is going to happen. I just won't d/l anything until I get to Alabama.

Der Flöprer
07-19-2010, 08:29 PM
My ISP was sending this on behalf of NBC Universal so that my ISP will be off the hook for legal liability. It was a first notice, basically a cease and desist (or so I hope), and instructed me that I might be liable for up to $250,000 if NBC Universal wants to take it to court.

I don't think anything is going to happen. I just won't d/l anything until I get to Alabama.

:eek:

It's crazy to me that you're liable for $250,000 for downloading an episode off of the internet, but the music industry can gouge people on CD's for years and pay everyone $20 and it's all good. Go UCA!!! I mean, USA!!!

irishjayhawk
07-19-2010, 08:33 PM

Two things:

1) Do you use Peer Gaurdian?

2) If in doubt, always claim your router was unsecured.

Reaper16
07-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Two things:

1) Do you use Peer Gaurdian?

2) If in doubt, always claim your router was unsecured.
1.) I will in the future for TV shows, that's for sure. I'm 100% sure that I was caught because NBC Universal shares the popular torrents themselves and traces whoever uploads from them.

2.) I definitely will if it comes to it. But I'm going to ignore the letter and take no action whatsoever. I think the worst that will happen is my ISP will deny me service after three warnings. But I'm moving in less than two weeks, so...

Red Brooklyn
07-21-2010, 02:58 PM

Yeah, I got one of those once. From Adobe for downloading Photoshop. I stopped sharing it immediately. Nothing further ever came of it.

irishjayhawk
07-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Anyone get any further?

Reaper16
07-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Anyone get any further?
I tried transporting myself forward in time to see the season 5 premier but no dice.

irishjayhawk
07-21-2010, 03:48 PM
I tried transporting myself forward in time to see the season 5 premier but no dice.

Luckily, there was no splicing.

Red Brooklyn
07-23-2010, 10:16 AM
I watched a few more episodes of S1. It's getting a little more interesting. "Crossing The Line" is the strongest episode of the series so far. Finally, characters are acting like people. Other than Jason Street's performance - which was pretty much one note and all surface - I really liked this one. I'll keep jugging through.

irishjayhawk
07-23-2010, 11:46 AM
If you think he's flat in season 1, he's essentially dead in season 2. Personally, I really only liked Herc insofar as the Street storyline. Well, that and the ancillary parts of his storyline (affect on team, coach, etc.)

Red Brooklyn
07-23-2010, 11:52 AM
If you think he's flat in season 1, he's essentially dead in season 2. Personally, I really only liked Herc insofar as the Street storyline. Well, that and the ancillary parts of his storyline (affect on team, coach, etc.)
That's a shame. It feels like a wasted opportunity.

Is it wrong that I sort of hope he dies? I guess, you're saying it makes it to S2... I was sort of hoping he didn't make it out of S1.

irishjayhawk
07-23-2010, 12:09 PM
That's a shame. It feels like a wasted opportunity.

Is it wrong that I sort of hope he dies? I guess, you're saying it makes it to S2... I was sort of hoping he didn't make it out of S1.

As much as I love bold story lines, I think paralyzing a character in episode one and having him die at the end of season 2 would be a bit of a turn off for viewers. It tests my limits, regardless of how "realistic" it could be (ala Derrick Thomas).

As far as a wasted opportunity, I thought season 1 took advantage of it. It's just they ran out of steam for the next season.

Red Brooklyn
07-23-2010, 12:21 PM
So far S1 is handling the storyline fine. There's just so much more that could be explored. It seems like the writers are more interested in telling the love triangle story than anything else at this point. Which is fine, albeit obvious. It's starting to get more interesting. But, as you say, I imagine it'll run out of steam sooner than later.

Killing him off could be such a powerful story. And there are so many options at this point. Suicide? Medical complications? Murder? Another accident? All those have potential for some great tv. :)

irishjayhawk
07-23-2010, 02:56 PM
So far S1 is handling the storyline fine. There's just so much more that could be explored. It seems like the writers are more interested in telling the love triangle story than anything else at this point. Which is fine, albeit obvious. It's starting to get more interesting. But, as you say, I imagine it'll run out of steam sooner than later.

Killing him off could be such a powerful story. And there are so many options at this point. Suicide? Medical complications? Murder? Another accident? All those have potential for some great tv. :)

I think it'd be a One Special Episode deal rather than a series defining moment. Like House's suicide ep or, for that matter, House's Season 4 finale.

Red Brooklyn
07-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Absolutely.

It would be folly to stretch it out across an entire season. In fact, I'd down play it as much as possible. Maybe show some surprise reactions. Maybe Tim is relieved. I don't know. Doesn't matter anyway. I don't work on the show.

But it would be cool.

Red Brooklyn
07-28-2010, 03:55 PM
S1 down. Started S2.

Yikes.

irishjayhawk
07-28-2010, 04:36 PM
S1 down. Started S2.

Yikes.

How am I supposed to interpret that Yikes?

Red Brooklyn
07-28-2010, 04:41 PM
How am I supposed to interpret that Yikes?

:)

However you like.

Red Brooklyn
07-29-2010, 09:33 AM
S1 ended really strongly. The first half of the season was uneven and too melodramatic for me.

Coach Taylor and his wife are fantastic. They seemed like they were opporating on a different level, or existing in a different show most of the time. Saracen, Riggins and Julie turn in pretty solid performances week in and week out as well. I'm done with Street and Lyla. Get 'em out!

S2 is not off to a promising start. I was really rooting for this show after the second half of S1. You guys warned me, and thank you for that, so I'm not surprised. But I'm glad S2 is short because man... after only 2 episodes... I'm about ready to quit again. It's going to be hard to march through to S3.

And does Coach Taylor stay at TMU? Cuz that's annoying as piss.

Red Brooklyn
08-01-2010, 09:13 AM
So, S2 was mostly a waste of time. But the final three episodes went a long way to ease the pain. Really solid home stretch. It would have been interesting to see where the season went had it not ended prematurely. I'm guessing we would have seen Lyla's threesome with Jesus and Church Boy come to a Riggins flavored end. I'm also guessing the season finale would have been Smash's injury. But whatever. By not seeing those things, it created a fantastic S3 premiere. I loved watching S3 explode open and unfurl with unanswered questions and months passed. Very gripping. Great choice, team.

S3 is really fantastic. Out of the gate it's easily the best season of the show so far. I'm 9 episodes in, and loving it. I'm so glad that I stuck it out. Great show. It's hasn't been easy; FNL has had to earn it... but I applaud the show. It's always had moments, but S3 has seen those moments give way to 40 minutes stretches of what the show does best. They have found their groove.

I will say it's interesting to me that the strongest episodes so far in S3 have been the ones without Jason Street. Just saying. Now we have the promise of his departure to dirtier waters and smoggier skies. Will he leave? Finally? Will the dude finally just go the **** away? Only time will tell... but I hope so. Please. Go be a dad Jay. Say goodbye. We are way beyond "Texas forever." The dream is over.

There's so much more interesting ground to dig up. Everyone else on this show has more to offer this viewer than Jason Street. Even Lyla and her obvious flaws, her predictable, eternal ping-ponging, and whiney wrinkled chin have more to offer the fabric of the show than good 'ol Street. Now, the writers have given him a way to save a graceful goodbye and allow the audience to dream a better life for their fallen hero of yester-year. Don't screw this up, writing staff. Cut the chord. Pull the trigger. Let the man leave with dignity and maybe we'll see him in a few seasons in a fantastic guest spot - another homecoming game perhaps?

Seriously. They should have just killed him off. Ah well.

Show is so gooooood. Thanks for recommending it, guys. I'm glad I stuck around.

Buck
08-01-2010, 09:22 AM
I'm glad you think season 3 is strong Red, Season 2 put me off so badly that even after watching 2 episodes of season 3, I lost my interest in it. I'll try and pick it up again when I get home in a week or so.

Red Brooklyn
08-01-2010, 10:17 AM
I totally understand that, Buck. I probably wouldn't have kept going if not for the converstations here. Also, I really liked the finale of S2. I thought it had a lot of humor and a lot of heart. But take as much time as you need to rinse the foul taste of S2 from your mouth.

S3 is yummy so far.

Buck
08-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Okay, I am more than 2 episodes into season 3 apparently. I had already watched 5 of them, and I just finished the 6th (the one called "It's not easy being JD McCoy" or something like that). It was alright. Its still not as good as season 1. I would be surprised if I ever feel it gets back to feeling that good for me. I have an issue with the continuity errors (as far as certain kids being in certain grades).

Red Brooklyn
08-04-2010, 03:55 PM
There are a lot of odd continuity errors on the show. I don't know if I ever really noticed (or cared) about what grade everyone is in. Are there really blatant continuity errors in regards to that?

I would say S3 (especially the second half) is the best the show has been. I'd put the second have of S1 in a very close second.

I'm excited for S4. I think it's out on DVD in a couple weeks. I'm very interested to see where it goes.

Sorry you're not digging it as much, Buck. Sucks when the good ones go bad.

Reaper16
08-04-2010, 04:01 PM
There are a lot of odd continuity errors on the show. I don't know if I ever really noticed (or cared) about what grade everyone is in. Are there really blatant continuity errors in regards to that?

I would say S3 (especially the second half) is the best the show has been. I'd put the second have of S1 in a very close second.

I'm excited for S4. I think it's out on DVD in a couple weeks. I'm very interested to see where it goes.

Sorry you're not digging it as much, Buck. Sucks when the good ones go bad.
Buck's favorite character in LOST is Charlie. So what does he know? :p

There aren't so much continuity errors on the kids' grades as much as there are massive retcons. In the pilot we see Street and Riggins (and Lyla, really) have that "Texas Forever" pledge. You think they are the same age. But it turns out that Riggins and Lyla are sophomores during Street's senior year. Another one is with Landry in season 4: he didn't graduate with Sarecen. He is still in school during season 4 (along with Julie). Which means that Landry was a freshman when he was driving Sarecen around in season 1, which is an error coming out of a retcon (which you never want in a show).

Red Brooklyn
08-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Buck's favorite character in LOST is Charlie. So what does he know? :p

There aren't so much continuity errors on the kids' grades as much as there are massive retcons. In the pilot we see Street and Riggins (and Lyla, really) have that "Texas Forever" pledge. You think they are the same age. But it turns out that Riggins and Lyla are sophomores during Street's senior year. Another one is with Landry in season 4: he didn't graduate with Sarecen. He is still in school during season 4 (along with Julie). Which means that Landry was a freshman when he was driving Sarecen around in season 1, which is an error coming out of a retcon (which you never want in a show).

Gotcha.

I actually don't have a problem with Riggins and Lyla being younger than Street. I supose that scene from the Pilot could be "misleading" but it doesn't bother me. I buy that they're younger. I buy that Street would still be good friends with both of them. I don't think I really even noticed it/thought about it as I was watching the show. So...

The Landry thing kinda bothers me. I'm glad you gave me a heads up. Hopefully, it won't bother me as I head into S4.

Reaper16
08-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Gotcha.

I actually don't have a problem with Riggins and Lyla being younger than Street. I supose that scene from the Pilot could be "misleading" but it doesn't bother me. I buy that they're younger. I buy that Street would still be good friends with both of them. I don't think I really even noticed it/thought about it as I was watching the show. So...

The Landry thing kinda bothers me. I'm glad you gave me a heads up. Hopefully, it won't bother me as I head into S4.
If it bothers you it will only bother your memory of older episodes. Season 4 is my favorite season of the show. The only fault is, again, with the way the show retcons things. Its like - all of a sudden - Dillon, TX has this predominantly black East side.

Red Brooklyn
08-04-2010, 04:29 PM
If it bothers you it will only bother your memory of older episodes. Season 4 is my favorite season of the show. The only fault is, again, with the way the show retcons things. Its like - all of a sudden - Dillon, TX has this predominantly black East side.

S4 is your fav, huh? That's good to hear. I loved S3. If S4 can at least match it, I'll be tickled pink. Can't wait for the DVD to drop.

Reaper16
08-04-2010, 04:31 PM
S4 is your fav, huh? That's good to hear. I loved S3. If S4 can at least match it, I'll be tickled pink. Can't wait for the DVD to drop.
The fifth episode of S4 - "The Son" - will have you crying. Tearing up at least. As irishjayhawk said: if someone has seen all of FNL and doesn't emote during "The Son" then they are a robot.

Red Brooklyn
08-04-2010, 04:40 PM
The fifth episode of S4 - "The Son" - will have you crying. Tearing up at least. As irishjayhawk said: if someone has seen all of FNL and doesn't emote during "The Son" then they are a robot.
Wow. I look forward to it. The show's gotten me going a couple of times already. No out and out tears yet, but certainly strong emotional responses.

I believe I read somewhere that this next season is the last? Do you know if that's true or not? I should be completely up to speed in a matter of days once S4 is out on DVD. I plan to watch S5 as it airs.

Reaper16
08-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Wow. I look forward to it. The show's gotten me going a couple of times already. No out and out tears yet, but certainly strong emotional responses.

I believe I read somewhere that this next season is the last? Do you know if that's true or not? I should be completely up to speed in a matter of days once S4 is out on DVD. I plan to watch S5 as it airs.
Yes. The Direct TV deal ends after season 5 and there has been no talk of wanting to take the show longer.

Buck
08-04-2010, 06:24 PM
I've thought a lot about Charlie (LOST) being my favorite character and decided that he didn't have enough to do with the 2nd half of the show so I dropped him out of my top 5.

irishjayhawk
08-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Yeah, if you can get past the retcons, which I never really had a problem with since it gave me a chance to see the characters a bit more, Season 3 really picks up.

Since being able to rewatch bits and pieces since my sister got addicted too, I've thus revised my season ranking.

Season 1
Season 3
Season 4

Season 2

It's not much but I've considered 4 to be more in line with 3. Still, as Buck said, nothing touches 1.

And since we didn't hear anything about FNL past season 5 at the TCA briefing, I'm going to say that season 5 is the final season, despite rumors of a last minute deal.

Red Brooklyn
08-05-2010, 09:07 AM
I'd probably rank S3 above S1. But I'm pumped to see S4. And it'll be fun to watch the final season as it airs. I wonder how I'll be able to handle have a week off between episodes after being so spoiled.

Reaper16
10-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Just gonna' leave this here:
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mbf59cOsQys&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mbf59cOsQys&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Chiefs Rool
10-06-2010, 09:48 PM
this is one of those shows that my wife made me watch with her, but it grew on me. Kinda sad this is the last season!

irishjayhawk
10-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Just gonna' leave this here:
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mbf59cOsQys&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mbf59cOsQys&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Superb promo.

Only complaint is the poster-esque end looks an awful lot like LOST's promos.

Reaper16
10-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Looks like Vince Howard has already made a verbal commitment to the University of Tennessee.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wBAY7xNcTiA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wBAY7xNcTiA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Pasta Giant Meatball
10-12-2010, 04:53 PM
When does the new season start?

nm just watched that video a few posts up.

Red Brooklyn
10-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Four episodes deep into S4. Awesome. It's so rare to see a show keep getting better and better like this one. Just fantastic.

Red Brooklyn
10-22-2010, 11:05 AM
I'm three episodes away from being completely caught up. This thing is outstanding in every way. I can't believe I ever doubted it.

Thanks for recommending this to me, ladies and gentlemen.

Reaper16
10-22-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm three episodes away from being completely caught up. This thing is outstanding in every way. I can't believe I ever doubted it.

:toast:

Shag
10-22-2010, 11:31 AM
FYI, final season starts 10/27 for those with DirecTV...

Red Brooklyn
10-22-2010, 11:41 AM
FYI, final season starts 10/27 for those with DirecTV...
Very cool. So, how does it work for those without DirecTV? Does NBC air it later? Or do you have to wait for DVD? I'd like to watch the final season "as it airs" if I can.

Reaper16
10-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Very cool. So, how does it work for those without DirecTV? Does NBC air it later? Or do you have to wait for DVD? I'd like to watch the final season "as it airs" if I can.
NBC airs it after it makes its complete run on DirecTV. That exclusivity period is why DirecTV pays for the show; we wouldn't have had seasons 3-5 of FNL without DirecTV.

That said, my ass is guaranteed to be downloading the episodes as they air. Just don't torrent them -- I got busted by NBC/Universal for torrenting season 4. They are watching those torrents.

Red Brooklyn
10-22-2010, 01:42 PM
NBC airs it after it makes its complete run on DirecTV. That exclusivity period is why DirecTV pays for the show; we wouldn't have had seasons 3-5 of FNL without DirecTV.

That said, my ass is guaranteed to be downloading the episodes as they air. Just don't torrent them -- I got busted by NBC/Universal for torrenting season 4. They are watching those torrents.
Excellent. Good to know. Thanks.

irishjayhawk
10-22-2010, 06:51 PM

:D

Chiefs Rool
10-22-2010, 08:26 PM
this is one of those shows that my wife made we watch with her and I ended up loving it. I'm looking forward for season 5, wish it wasn't the last one.

Red Brooklyn
10-22-2010, 11:01 PM
I hear you, man. I desperately wish this wasn't the last season. It's rare to see a show actually get better as it ages. Normally, I feel like 5 or 6 seasons is about the limit for a show. This thing, though... could have been the excpetion.

At least, it'll go out on top.

Silock
10-23-2010, 01:52 AM

Private tracker FTW

Red Brooklyn
10-23-2010, 11:25 AM
And I'm all caught up. Outstanding season. I think I somehow managed to more invested and care more about the outcome of the Lions/Panthers game than I ever have been for a real life game. This show has delivered on every promise it made in S1.

Reaper16
10-23-2010, 11:38 AM
And I'm all caught up. Outstanding season. I think I somehow managed to more invested and care more about the outcome of the Lions/Panthers game than I ever have been for a real life game. This show has delivered on every promise it made in S1.
I hated how that kick on the S4 finale was against the wind. Very unrealistic. But I do love how FNL is the kind of show where you legitimately couldn't tell whether Landry's kick would be good or not. That was a wonderful television moment.

Red Brooklyn
10-23-2010, 12:15 PM
I hated how that kick on the S4 finale was against the wind. Very unrealistic. But I do love how FNL is the kind of show where you legitimately couldn't tell whether Landry's kick would be good or not. That was a wonderful television moment.
Oh, completely agree. There were moments in the final couple episodes that were fairly unrealistic and sort of uncharacteristic of show. Landry's kick being one of them. But, yeah, I ultimately just needed the Lions to win. So I didn't really care. And, like you said, it's the sort of show where you just can't be certain whether or not he makes it.

Gracie Dean
10-23-2010, 12:30 PM
I love this show. I am so glad the Lions beat that wimpy daddy's boy and cheater dad. I liked how they took what was handed them and made it work inspite of all expectations to fail.

Red Brooklyn
10-23-2010, 02:22 PM
I love how the show isn't affraid to let characters grow and change. I actually kinda liked that kid - JD McCoy - at the end of S3. He was so humble and talented and had so much on his plate. He was a very simpathetic character. He's a douchebag in S4. But you totally by it! Of course he is! All of his success, coupled with his age and his father's influence, what else could he be. This show is so good at character arcs.

Reaper16
10-29-2010, 04:36 PM
I don't know if ya'll realized this, but Season 5 premiered on Wed. It was everything I hoped it would be. Season premeirs always have some necessary exposition-heavy moments or character arc setup moments, which prevent them from being upper echelon episodes. Still, it was a very good episode of television drama. I want to smile and cry all of the time when the show is good. It almost always is good.

Red Brooklyn
10-29-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm so pumped for this... Not sure when I'll be able to watch it, though. Thanks, Reaper, for the quick write-up. SO thrilled to know it didn't disappoint.

irishjayhawk
11-01-2010, 08:16 PM
It was a good setup episode but I wasn't as high on it as Reaper was. I think that's partly due to most of the cast I've grown to like moving away.

Chiefs Rool
11-02-2010, 12:33 AM
It was a good setup episode but I wasn't as high on it as Reaper was. I think that's partly due to most of the cast I've grown to like moving away.

ya, that's the only problem with a high school football show. But I still think it could work forever! Just keep brining in new freshman and what not, who needs to get attached to characters?

But I liked the first episode even though it was pretty cliche.

Reaper16
11-02-2010, 12:49 AM
But I liked the first episode even though it was pretty cliche.
How so?

Reaper16
11-10-2010, 10:28 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs942.snc4/73590_888131989485_27417965_47154548_5088591_n.jpg

Reaper16
11-10-2010, 10:28 PM
p.s. show is amazing

btlook1
11-11-2010, 11:54 AM
I assume it's only on Direct TV again? Wonder when it starts for us Dish customers?

HemiEd
11-11-2010, 12:21 PM
p.s. show is amazing

I agree, and haven't missed an episode since it started.

Sully
11-12-2010, 07:55 AM
It's weird to see scenes that were shot just blocks from my house in this little town.

This past episode was great. The Vince story line is so well done.

irishjayhawk
11-12-2010, 10:28 PM
What episodes have aired? I've counted 1 and 2. 3 should have been last Wed, but I didn't see it.

Reaper16
11-13-2010, 12:55 AM
What episodes have aired? I've counted 1 and 2. 3 should have been last Wed, but I didn't see it.
It totally aired.

irishjayhawk
11-14-2010, 11:15 AM
It totally aired.

Watched it.

I'm loving all the story lines except one. Can you guess which one it is? (I bet you'll only need one guess.)

Reaper16
11-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Watched it.

I'm loving all the story lines except one. Can you guess which one it is? (I bet you'll only need one guess.)
Julie.

irishjayhawk
11-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Julie.

BINGO.

Do you have a problem with it?

I only have a problem because it's cliche and it is just to keep Julie around which is okay except that neither the Matt nor family dynamics are present making it aggravating to me.

Also, it doesn't seem like her character. There are plenty of girls who would do such a thing but her character isn't one of them, IMO.

Reaper16
11-14-2010, 03:17 PM
BINGO.

Do you have a problem with it?

I only have a problem because it's cliche and it is just to keep Julie around which is okay except that neither the Matt nor family dynamics are present making it aggravating to me.

Also, it doesn't seem like her character. There are plenty of girls who would do such a thing but her character isn't one of them, IMO.
My problem with it is that it just feels so separate from the rest of the show right now. I don't think that her behavior is inconsistent with the character, though. She's ALWAYS had a thing for guys older than her. Matt, the Swedish dude, the Habitat for Humanity guy, the journalism teacher -- all older guys.

irishjayhawk
11-14-2010, 04:09 PM
My problem with it is that it just feels so separate from the rest of the show right now. I don't think that her behavior is inconsistent with the character, though. She's ALWAYS had a thing for guys older than her. Matt, the Swedish dude, the Habitat for Humanity guy, the journalism teacher -- all older guys.

True, I didn't think about it in those terms.

As for the rest, yeah we're in complete agreement.

Reaper16
12-03-2010, 01:19 AM
Best episode of the show since last season's "The Son?" Methinks so, methinks so.

Rudy lost the toss
12-14-2010, 02:03 AM
Fuck the writer's strike. I had no idea that was going to happen after deciding to burn through this series on Netflix. Not pleased.

Reaper16
12-14-2010, 02:11 AM
Fuck the writer's strike. I had no idea that was going to happen after deciding to burn through this series on Netflix. Not pleased.
Ignore that season 2 ever happened. The show does, and seasons 3 & 4 (and 5 so far) are brilliant.

Rudy lost the toss
12-14-2010, 02:19 AM
Good advice. Gonna finish season 3 sometime this week.

The Rick
02-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Series Finale tonight...can't wait!

Reaper16
02-09-2011, 05:57 PM
I AM DEVASTATED. I'm going to miss this show so, so much.

Tribal Warfare
02-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Series Finale tonight...can't wait!

what channel, I can't find it active on my DVR

Shag
02-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Great last season, and loved the finale - especially how they filmed the last game. Won't go into detail as I don't think many have seen the season yet - will be interesting to watch reactions as the season airs on NBC...

Will definitely miss this show...

Reaper16
02-10-2011, 11:09 PM
:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:: crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

SO SAD. FINALE SO GOOD BUT, YOU KNOW, IT'S OVER.

Fruit Ninja
02-11-2011, 01:59 AM
Finale was nice, I think the Coach making the choice he made was fairly predictable, but it was still good.

It was a great finale. It sucks that shit show didnt get the ratings it deserved. It was just a damned great series.

Red Brooklyn
07-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Well, despite the best intentions one or two great posters on this board, I decided to forgo downloading the final season as it aired on DirecTV and waited for it to air on NBC.

Just finished the finale.

What a wonderful show. So sad it's gone. This thing could have gone on another 5 years.

Clear eyes. Full hearts.

KcMizzou
07-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Getting ready to watch episode 3 of Season 4 on Netflix right now. I've been hooked from the first episode. It is fantastic.

Bump
07-16-2011, 11:01 PM
RIP FNL

I'll miss you.

What a great show, seriously. I just watched the finale and most of it was predictable but it was a good ending to a great show.

KcMizzou
07-16-2011, 11:08 PM
It didn't get cancelled, did it? Went out on their own terms.

Fruit Ninja
07-16-2011, 11:14 PM
It didn't get cancelled, did it? Went out on their own terms.

It was one of them always on life support shows. Only reason it even lasted 5 seasons is because Direct TV put up money for the show to get made.

Bump
07-16-2011, 11:19 PM
I hope they make a movie with Coach taylor in Philly

Fruit Ninja
07-16-2011, 11:24 PM
I hope they make a movie with Coach taylor in Philly

They are in talks about making a movie after the show ended. So you may get your wish. Apparently talks are very serious according to i think it was Sepinwall.

Bump
07-16-2011, 11:31 PM
They are in talks about making a movie after the show ended. So you may get your wish. Apparently talks are very serious according to i think it was Sepinwall.

awesome

Deberg_1990
07-17-2011, 10:38 AM
It was one of them always on life support shows. Only reason it even lasted 5 seasons is because Direct TV put up money for the show to get made.

True....i wish they would do that for more TV shows that deserve longer lifes....like Terriers.

KcMizzou
07-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Just finished the finale of Season 4. Ugh.

From a review, "One thing I've been thinking about is Friday Night Lights' distinctive brand of male sentimentality. This show seems singularly designed to make men cry."

Aint that the truth. Even if it doesn't... it'll damned sure make ya get a little misty.

ThaVirus
07-18-2011, 09:05 PM
I watched several episodes of the first season and wasn't really impressed. It was too much like the movie for me to get into it.. I'll probably come back to it at a later date though. See what it is you guys are fapping to..

Red Brooklyn
07-19-2011, 10:14 AM
I watched several episodes of the first season and wasn't really impressed. It was too much like the movie for me to get into it.. I'll probably come back to it at a later date though. See what it is you guys are fapping to..

I didn't really get into the show until episode 7. I thought it was okay. Kinda interesting, but mostly obvious and stereotypical and overly expository. That changes at episode 7. From that point on the rest of season one is gold. Season Two is pretty bad. I stronly recommend not even really watching it.

Season Three is one of the best seasons of television I can remember, and it pretty much acts like Season Two didn't happen. Any really imporant pieces of info you need are crammed into the first episode as a bridge.

Season Four is also amazing. Season Five is probably just a notch below S3 & S4 overall. But the finale is wonderful.

Great show.

OmahaChief
07-19-2011, 11:50 AM
I am really going to miss this show. It was one of my favorites on TV. Loved the cast and how each character showed development. I would have loved to play for a guy like Coach Taylor.

Clear Eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

Buck
08-19-2011, 04:37 PM
I just got Netflix back so I've been catching up on this.

I just started season 4 and I think I found Wallace...Also Nnamdi Assomougha.

Is this show 4 seasons long or 5?

Reaper16
08-19-2011, 04:40 PM

Five seasons.

Der Flöprer
08-19-2011, 04:46 PM

Me too. I just started watching from season 1 again. I don't repeat shit like this very often. But it was a great show.

Buck
08-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Just finished. It was awesome.

I don't really ever cry, but that finale got me close.

KcMizzou
08-26-2011, 11:15 PM
Just finished. It was awesome.

I don't really ever cry, but that finale got me close.Fantastic show, wasn't it?

Silock
08-26-2011, 11:39 PM
RIGGINS RIGS, Y'ALL