PDA

View Full Version : Geeks unite! What is the best episode of each Star Trek Series?

banyon
08-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Live Long and Prosper.

http://www.citlink.net/~lzdaily/t_EnterpriseD.jpg
Poll to follow.

banyon
08-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Wow. A lot of Trekkies here.

I tend to like the time-travel episodes the best.
That's why I picked "Yesterday's Enterprise" for TNG because it deals with merging an alternate timeline with our own.

TOS also had "city on the edge of Forever" which most Trekkies think is maybe the best episode ever for any series.

Best of Both Worlds is pretty good though, as is All Good things. So whoever voted for those, good choices. I really haven't watched Voyager or Enterprise enough to make an informed decision about them.

keg in kc
08-14-2006, 09:42 AM
The City on the Edge of Forever.

My favorite series, as a whole, is and will always be Deep Space 9, however. The character depth and the complexity of the overall plot arc of the series was great.

JBucc
08-14-2006, 09:53 AM
I never watched any of them and the fact that people acutally remember names of individual episodes of any show amazes me.

Predarat
08-14-2006, 10:59 AM
My wife is the big trekker/trekkie which means I get to watch a lot of Star Trek, especially TNG. My favorites that didnt make the list are "A piece of the Action" in the original series and in TNG the one where Riker goes to a Klingon ship in an exchange program as well as the one where Q shows Picard what his life would be like if he had not fought the Nausicans, got stabbed and had to have the heart operation.

Amnorix
08-14-2006, 11:01 AM
I only watched TOS and TNG. What sucks is I lost interest in DS9 before it became good. From what I understand from my friends, it kind of got off to a slow start, and then became seriously good, and i missed that "seriously good" part.

Other TNG episodes I really liked are The Defector (the Romulan Admiral), the Wounded (the renegate StarFleet Captain), and The Inner Light (Picard lives an alternate life, where he's married, etc.).

Not a big fan of Cause and Effect. Didn't hate it, didn't love it.

Where's Spock's Brain on this list? I think the poll is invalid without out.

For what it's worth, I did need to look up a couple of the TNG episode names in the poll and that I listed above. But I did know all of the TOS ones without looking 'em up.

cdcox
08-14-2006, 11:44 AM
"Balance of Terror" is a classic from TOS. I can't connect the names of the TNG with the plots and I'm too lazy to Google them. Only watched TOS and TNG.

Predarat
08-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Another Original series episode I liked that didnt make it is Space Seed.

Moooo
08-14-2006, 01:18 PM
What about the Star Trek episode where the furry things take over the ship?

I've seen ST on TV 3 times, and all 3 times its been that episode...

Moooo

banyon
08-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Sorry for all I left off.

I basically went to the "Top Episodes" lists at tv.com and copied the ones at or near the top that I agree that Spock's Brain, The Inner Light, Space Seed, and Balance of Terror could easily have been on the list.

It's weird, Amniorix's experience with the Series is virtually Identical to my own. I too quit on DS9 somewhere early. Maybe I need to rent some of the later seasons and see what all the fuss is about.

I agree with

banyon
08-14-2006, 01:24 PM
What about the Star Trek episode where the furry things take over the ship?

I've seen ST on TV 3 times, and all 3 times its been that episode...

Moooo

That's "The Trouble with Tribbles". DS9 also reprised it in "Trials and Tribblations".

Both are poll choices.

Predarat
08-14-2006, 01:45 PM

I basically went to the "Top Episodes" lists at tv.com and copied the ones at or near the top that I agree that Spock's Brain, The Inner Light, Space Seed, and Balance of Terror could easily have been on the list.

It's weird, Amniorix's experience with the Series is virtually Identical to my own. I too quit on DS9 somewhere early. Maybe I need to rent some of the later seasons and see what all the fuss is about.

I agree with
No, you did great. With so many lines, seasons, episodes it would get to the point where you would have too many up there. All the ones up there are worthy choices.

Frosty
08-14-2006, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure of the episode names but for TOS, my favorites are the one where the spores make everyone peaceful and Kirk has to piss off Spock to get him out of it, the one where they go back in time and they beam up the pilot who sees them (kind of a silly one, but fun) and "Miri".

For TNG, the one where an alien probe puts Picard in the life of another man and he lives out the rest of that life and watches as the civilation get destroyed. Bittersweet.

whoman69
08-14-2006, 10:19 PM
TOS- Shore Leave "great humor and imagination"
TNG- Inner Light "truly an emotional story"
DS9- The Visitor "if you weren't crying when Jake was reunited with his father, you have green blood"
V'ger- I suppose the last one because it was over
Enterprise- Symbiosis "I should probably vote for Storm Front since it erased their whole history even though the writers didn't catch it"

whoman69
08-14-2006, 10:23 PM
As a follow-up I would ask what everyone thinks of the proposed movie with a young Kirk and Spock. Despite denials startrek.com has done a poll asking who should play a young Kirk, and have a poster for the next movie that obviously leads into a Spock/Kirk story.

Bowser
08-14-2006, 10:48 PM
As a follow-up I would ask what everyone thinks of the proposed movie with a young Kirk and Spock. Despite denials startrek.com has done a poll asking who should play a young Kirk, and have a poster for the next movie that obviously leads into a Spock/Kirk story.

Really?

What is going on with the upper-ups with Star Trek? After Voyager and DS9, they decide to do a series based on an Enterprise pre Pike and Kirk, now a movie with Kirk and Spock as Cadets?

If there was to be another Star Trek movie, I was hoping that it would have elements from all the TV series - TNG, DS9, and Voyager.

And as for the question of the thread, I was always partial to TNG's "Yesterday's Enterprise".

Adept Havelock
08-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Seriously, pick up the later seasons of DS9, you won't be disappointed.

"In the Pale Moonlight" is one of the best pieces of TV I've ever seen". I also appreciated DS9's take on "Guadacanal Diary" (Siege of AR-558), and the last 10-episode arc was brilliant, IMO.

banyon
12-11-2007, 09:21 PM

"In the Pale Moonlight" is one of the best pieces of TV I've ever seen". I also appreciated DS9's take on "Guadacanal Diary" (Siege of AR-558), and the last 10-episode arc was brilliant, IMO.

I did. And I made it somehow through Voyager.

About season 4 (coincidentally when Worf arrives) everything on DS9 starts to whoop serious a**. The 7 part story arc with the Dominion and "The sacrifice of Angels" capper when Sisco retakes the station is pure joy to watch. "In the pale Moonlight" was one of my fav's as well.

Voyager has some truly awful episodes, but if you can wade through them, there are also some tremendous ones. "Year of Hell" is one of my favorites of any of the series. That episode is awesome. "Timeless" also was very good, with future Kim defying starfleet to rescue Voyager trapped beneath the ice.

DS9's conclusion, though was much more satisfying than Voyager. DS9 wraps up the story arcs of the characters, but Voyager just dumps them off at Earth with 1 minute left to go in the series. After watching them on a journey for 7 years, you kind of want to see them enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Haven't made it through Enterprise yet, but I have to watch Lost season 3 first.

Frazod
12-11-2007, 09:27 PM
You left The Doomsday Machine off the list. :mad:

I was, therefore, forced to vote for City on the Edge of Forever from TOS.

Next Generation: Yesterday's Enterprise, followed closely by Inner Light, the Borg two-parter and Reunion.

Deep Space Nine: Way of the Warrior. Worf saved that show.

I didn't like Voyager at all and am not all that familiar with Enterprise, but I think I picked the episodes I remember liking.

siberian khatru
12-11-2007, 09:30 PM

That's probably my No. 1 favorite. Always has been, since I was a kid.

City, Mirror Mirror, The Enterprise Incident ...

Frazod
12-11-2007, 09:31 PM
That's probably my No. 1 favorite. Always has been, since I was a kid.

City, Mirror Mirror, The Enterprise Incident ...

Yep. Decker was awesome.

banyon
12-11-2007, 09:32 PM

I was, therefore, forced to vote for City on the Edge of Forever from TOS.

Next Generation: Yesterday's Enterprise, followed closely by Inner Light, the Borg two-parter and Reunion.

Deep Space Nine: Way of the Warrior. Worf saved that show.

I didn't like Voyager at all and am not all that familiar with Enterprise, but I think I picked the episodes I remember liking.

I forget, is that the one with the VGER prototype that was the basis for the 1st movie?

banyon
12-11-2007, 09:33 PM
If I had written this after watching DS9, I might've included the 1st or 2nd Mirror episode. I really enjoyed those even though they were kind of campy.

Frazod
12-11-2007, 09:36 PM
I forget, is that the one with the VGER prototype that was the basis for the 1st movie?

No, that's the one where they find the USS Constellation adrift with only the Commodore on board. A planet killer (big ice cream cone looking thing) had crippled the ship and then destroyed the planet Decker beamed them down to. Decker nearly gets the Enterprise destroyed on a revenge mission, and in the end rams a shuttlecraft into the thing, slightly weakening it. Then Kirk programs the Constellation to self destruct inside the planet killer, destroying it.

William Windom played the broken, revenge seeking Commodore Decker - best portrayal outside of any principal cast member ever.

banyon
12-11-2007, 09:40 PM
No, that's the one where they find the USS Constellation adrift with only the Commodore on board. A planet killer (big ice cream cone looking thing) had crippled the ship and then destroyed the planet Decker beamed them down to. Decker nearly gets the Enterprise destroyed on a revenge mission, and in the end rams a shuttlecraft into the thing, slightly weakening it. Then Kirk programs the Constellation to self destruct inside the planet killer, destroying it.

William Windom played the broken, revenge seeking Commodore Decker - best portrayal outside of any principal cast member ever.

I'm going to have to bust out that DVD and re-watch because it is hazy. :thumb:

Sounds a little bit like the "Pegasus Project: from TNG though. (with the guy who plays "Locke" on Lost).

Deberg_1990
12-11-2007, 09:42 PM
My fave TOS series episodes I dont see listed??

Arena
Space Seed
Tomorrow is Yesterday
Mirror, Mirror (which is listed)
A Piece of the Action
Assignment Earth
Doomsday Machine
Shore Leave

Frazod
12-11-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm going to have to bust out that DVD and re-watch because it is hazy. :thumb:

Sounds a little bit like the "Pegasus Project: from TNG though. (with the guy who plays "Locke" on Lost).

There are some similarities. That's an excellent TNG episode as well.

The closest parallel to Doomsday Machine in TNG is the episode The Wounded, where Captain Maxwell goes on a revenge spree against the Cardassians.

Deberg_1990
12-11-2007, 09:45 PM

BTW, His character is supposed to be Decker from "Star Trek the Motion Pictures" father, although its never mentioned. Maybe in the novelization??

banyon
12-11-2007, 09:48 PM
My fave TOS series episodes I dont see listed??

Arena
Space Seed
Tomorrow is Yesterday
Mirror, Mirror (which is listed)
A Piece of the Action
Assignment Earth
Doomsday Machine

Dude, people are complaining more after my 1 year bump than the first time I posted.
:)

I posted 5 from each series. My methodology was here:

I agree with

Frazod
12-11-2007, 09:48 PM
BTW, His character is supposed to be Decker from "Star Trek the Motion Pictures" father, although its never mentioned. Maybe in the novelization??

Yes, it was mentioned in the novelization.

banyon
12-11-2007, 09:50 PM
I (mostly) bumped this for Adept to thank him for convincing me to slog through the bad part of DS9 to get to the good part.

Frazod
12-11-2007, 09:57 PM
I (mostly) bumped this for Adept to thank him for convincing me to slog through the bad part of DS9 to get to the good part.

The first three seasons were overall lame - but then they went in a different direction when Worf joined the cast: WAR. War with everybody, basically. They fought the Klingons, the Dominion, the Maquis, the Cardassians, and themselves in the alternate reality. Sure there were still occasional fluff episodes, but overall it was dark and gritty and awesome.

Deberg_1990
12-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Im not sure Voyager ever had any good episodes?? hahaha

I hated that show.

Frazod
12-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Im not sure Voyager ever had any good episodes?? hahaha

I hated that show.

It had its moments, but was overall lame. Just a do-gooder retread of Lost in Space. :shake:

Braincase
12-11-2007, 10:03 PM
My all-time favorite ST:TNG episode was called "The Survivors". Enterprise responds to an emergency beacon from a planet and find the entire planet has been destroyed, except for a single settlement and two humans...

Frazod
12-11-2007, 10:05 PM
My all-time favorite ST:TNG episode was called "The Survivors". Enterprise responds to an emergency beacon from a planet and find the entire planet has been destroyed, except for a single settlement and two humans...

At least they look like two humans....

Yet another great episode. :thumb:

Another favorite from Season Two - The Measure of a Man, where Picard must prove in court that Data is a sentient being.

banyon
12-11-2007, 10:08 PM

Another favorite from Season Two - The Measure of a Man, where Picard must prove in court that Data is a sentient being.

Staying in the star courtroom drama genre, I also enjoyed "The Drumhead" where Picard shows up the uppity Admiral on the witchhunt.

Deberg_1990
12-11-2007, 10:09 PM
It had its moments, but was overall lame. Just a do-gooder retread of Lost in Space. :shake:

Same with Enterprise for the most part. Lame overall, but i heard it got better the last season which only about 3 people ever saw.

banyon
12-11-2007, 10:12 PM
I agree that Voyager had its lame moments, but the episodes listed I felt were very good. On par with the other series (especially the two I mentioned).

Braincase
12-11-2007, 10:14 PM

You know that has to be M. Night Shamalyan's favorite ST:TNG episode. Loved the ending... very powerful.

Frazod
12-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Same with Enterprise for the most part. Lame overall, but i heard it got better the last season which only about 3 people ever saw.

Enterprise was a huge disappointment - all the filling-in-the-blanks opportunities that they squandered. They initially promised it would be more like TOS, but then they went Voyager on us. Clearly they realized the error of their ways, and ramped up the sex and violence, but unfortunately they did it too late to save the show.

But I sure did like seeing Jolene Blaylock in various states of undress all the time. :drool:

Guru
12-12-2007, 12:00 AM

I loved the episode where Picard lived an entire lifetime in just a matter of days.

Frazod
12-12-2007, 12:09 AM
I loved the episode where Picard lived an entire lifetime in just a matter of days.

That was The Inner Light. And it was actually a matter of minutes.

Cochise
12-12-2007, 12:12 AM
What about that TNG episode where they are goofing around in the Robin Hood gear? haha.

I'm not a huge fan of these, but I thought the last episode of TNG was good.

Frazod
12-12-2007, 12:15 AM
What about that TNG episode where they are goofing around in the Robin Hood gear? haha.

For comedy, I always liked Q - especially the episode where the Continuum strips him of his powers. Picard throws him in the brig, and Guinan stabs him in the hand with a fork. Best line: Q to Worf: "Eat any good books lately?" Great stuff. LMAO

DaFace
12-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Heh...funny this got bumped today. The wife and I just got a weird urge to rewatch Star Trek: TNG, so I...uhh...procured the whole series. We're now watching it from the beginning.

Off the top of my head, All Good Things is probably my favorite, though honestly it's been so long I hardly remember most of them.

Guru
12-12-2007, 12:23 AM
That was The Inner Light. And it was actually a matter of minutes.
Days, minutes. Whats the difference for Chiefs fans. :)

Guru
12-12-2007, 12:25 AM
For comedy, I always liked Q - especially the episode where the Continuum strips him of his powers. Picard throws him in the brig, and Guinan stabs him in the hand with a fork. Best line: Q to Worf: "Eat any good books lately?" Great stuff. LMAO
Q was my favorite character as far as not part of the regular cast goes.

Frazod
12-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Q was my favorite character as far as not part of the regular cast goes.

I always liked Gowron (Klingon chancellor) the best. A violent, fun-loving, wild-eyed raving lunatic after my own heart. He'd shoot his refrigerator just to do it. :D

Guru
12-12-2007, 01:07 AM
I always liked Gowron (Klingon chancellor) the best. A violent, fun-loving, wild-eyed raving lunatic after my own heart. He'd shoot his refrigerator just to do it. :D
He is sooooo YOU!!!! ROFL

http://www.fredlarts.at/~pichlmann/Video/mutay/mutay_sshot.jpg

BigRedChief
12-12-2007, 07:28 AM

"In the Pale Moonlight" is one of the best pieces of TV I've ever seen". I also appreciated DS9's take on "Guadacanal Diary" (Siege of AR-558), and the last 10-episode arc was brilliant, IMO.Guilty too. Gave up. Now I'm catching episodes via DVR. Just watched the Klingons/Worf/Dominion/Cardassians all go to war story arc. Damn good.

Best episode for the orginal......Tribbles

Second Best Episode for TNG.........The Borg

Best episode for DS9...DS9 current cast timewarps into the Captain Kirk era and the Tribble episode.

Voyager....Nothing worth noting.

Best episode of Enterprise.........I saw a good episode about Archer havng short term memory loss. Kind of like the the........

Best episode evah........The Inner Light. I think the director was somebody that is now a famous director.

Living a lifetime in mintues. To look back on your life and all the events, children, grandchildren etc. Picard alone in his quarters holding the flute and then begining to play it is one of the best TV moments ever regardless of the show.

They put that flute up for auction and if I would have had the money I would have bought that damn flute.

Frosty
12-12-2007, 09:30 AM
I really couldn't get into the TNG. I watched it the first few seasons but drifted away. "The Inner Light" was by far the best of the episodes that I remember.

The worst episodes on any of the series...?

Any of them involving the holodeck. :mad: It was like a day off for the writers. "Hey, I know! We'll make Data Sherlock Holmes." :rolleyes:

And I liked "Enterprise". :harumph:

Braincase
12-12-2007, 09:43 AM
But I sure did like seeing Jolene Blaylock in various states of undress all the time. :drool:

Loved the early episode where she has to go through decontamination after visiting some planet. Nice to see that with Vulcan females, it's not just the ears that are pointy.

Adept Havelock
12-12-2007, 10:04 AM

Glad you liked it. Say hi to Elim Garak for me. :)

I just watched "The Magnificent Ferengi" the other night. I forgot how absolutely wooden Iggy Pop was in that episode.

DS9 is just some of the best Sci-Fi I'd seen..up until the new Battlestar Galactica (Thank you Ron Moore!).

Heck, I even enjoyed Vic...who was about the biggest and strangest fish out of water in all the incarnations of Trek. Have a good one, pallie. ;)

As for "Enterprise", I think they had a few really decent episodes, but the cast just never really "clicked" IMO.

I did enjoy "Through a Mirror, Darkly". One of the best show-opens I've ever seen.

chagrin
12-12-2007, 10:08 AM
I liked Unification 1, 2 for TNG
voyager, I did not enjoy and don't have a favorite. Didn't watch Enterprise or DSN

Frosty
12-12-2007, 10:12 AM
As for "Enterprise", I think they had a few really decent episodes, but the cast just never really "clicked" IMO.

I really liked the cast. One of my favorites, after TOS. I just wish they had had better story lines. There was waaaay too much reliance on time travel. IMO, the stories of being "noobs in space" and giving the finger to the Vulcans were much better.

Dicky McElephant
12-12-2007, 10:14 AM
The one with the Deathstar in it.

chagrin
12-12-2007, 10:16 AM
TNG - The Inner Light, I also enjoyed very much.

Adept Havelock
12-12-2007, 10:18 AM
I really liked the cast. One of my favorites, after TOS. I just wish they had had better story lines. There was waaaay too much reliance on time travel. IMO, the stories of being "noobs in space" and giving the finger to the Vulcans were much better.

I wanted the show to work, for that same reason. I liked the "First Steps" storylines, and the conflict with the Vulcans.

As for the cast, I really like Bakula, Blaylock, Billingsly, etc... but like I said, it never "clicked" for me.

I did like the Full-Season arc they did in Season 3...right up to the last scene of the season finale. :(

TNG - The Inner Light, I also enjoyed very much.

If that is Picard's "flute" episode...yeah. Just brilliant. Gene R. would have been proud, IMO.

BigRedChief
12-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Loved the early episode where she has to go through decontamination after visiting some planet. Nice to see that with Vulcan females, it's not just the ears that are pointy.
http://www.talltalestogo.net/graphics/blalockmodellarge.jpg

Nightwish
12-12-2007, 10:45 AM
The only one I selected was "The Trouble with Tribbles." While I watched all the episodes of the Next Generation and DS9, some of Voyager, and only a few from Enterprise, the only series where I know many of the episodes by name is the original series.

Bowser
12-12-2007, 10:56 AM

Captain, I am NOT a Merry Man!!

Cochise
12-12-2007, 10:58 AM

Q episodes were definitely my favorites.

I have a DVR set up to record the daily showing at ~midnight on G4, and I don't often watch it, but if it is a Q episode I usually will.

banyon
12-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Glad you liked it. Say hi to Elim Garak for me. :)

I just watched "The Magnificent Ferengi" the other night. I forgot how absolutely wooden Iggy Pop was in that episode.

DS9 is just some of the best Sci-Fi I'd seen..up until the new Battlestar Galactica (Thank you Ron Moore!).

Heck, I even enjoyed Vic...who was about the biggest and strangest fish out of water in all the incarnations of Trek. Have a good one, pallie. ;)

I did enjoy "Through a Mirror, Darkly". One of the best show-opens I've ever seen.

Yeah! Garak was my favorite too. He was such an interesting mix of arrogance, doubt, obnoxiousness, diabolicalness, humor. I loved the ep's that focused on him.

Frazod
12-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Yeah! Garak was my favorite too. He was such an interesting mix of arrogance, doubt, obnoxiousness, diabolicalness, humor. I loved the ep's that focused on him.

The interactions between him and Gul Ducat were particularly enjoyable - they both so cordially hated each other. :D

Ducat was another favorite of mine. Started out as a scumbag, but then teetered on the brink of being a decent, likeable guy until he cracked and went flat out psychotic evil at the end. Always interesting, though.

Bowser
12-12-2007, 12:47 PM

I agree with this, and with fraz. Garak was probably my favorite non-tng character. Much depth with him.

Adept Havelock
12-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Andrew Robinson actually wrote a novel (quite good IMO, at least for series fiction) following the Garak character after he returned to Cardassia, and quite a bit about how he came to be exiled. It's called "A Stitch In Time", and well worth it for fans of the character.

Dukat was fantastic too. I loved the take on "Hell in the Pacific" they did with Dukat and Sisko trapped on the planetoid in the episode "Waltz". He was also fantastic once he got to take the mask off in the final arc. OMG!!! Dukat is da debbil!

Hmmm...Siege of AR-558 = Guadacanal Diary.... Waltz = Hell in the Pacific. Any other episodes that evoked WW2 flicks come to mind for anyone?

As for Garak, I'm torn between "In the Pale Moonlight" and "Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast" for my favorite episode of his, though he was fantastic in "The Wire" as well.

I kind of wish Moore would have ended the series like he said he wanted to. His original vision for the last scene was our friend Benny Russell (from "Far Beyond the Stars") finishing a page, closing the book, and saying "I'll finish the last chapter tomorrow".

Ziyal: Well, what's going to happen to you?
Garak: Ooh well, let me tell you a story. I once knew a Cardassian, a dashing, handsome young man with a promising career, but one day, through no fault of his own, he found himself exciled and alone with nowhere to turn. But did he give up? No. He struck upon a brilliant plan: instead of fleeing for the rest of his life he sought shelter in the one place no one expected him to go: in a stronghold of his people's most hated enemies. There, surrounded by hostile strangers, he built a life and there, against all odds, against the merciless logic of the universe itself, he thrived.
Ziyal: By becoming the greatest tailor in the galaxy.
Garak: And the moral of the story, my dear, is to never underestimate my gift for survival.

Kira: Come on Garak! We can fight for a free Cardassia!
Garak: I have a better motivation, Major. (glances at Mila's body) Revenge.
Kira: (hushed) That works too.

Cochise
12-13-2007, 12:08 AM
Captain, I am NOT a Merry Man!!

ROFL :clap: