PDA

View Full Version : What is your secret to great fried chicken.

Logical
08-13-2006, 09:54 PM
I admit I miss my grandmothers (all of them) fried chicken. So what was the secret?

KCFalcon59
08-13-2006, 09:58 PM
seasonings. Just the right amount of seasoning to accent the chicken not overpower it.

kc rush
08-13-2006, 10:00 PM
The secret is to have someone else cook it.

Works for me.

milkman
08-13-2006, 10:00 PM
KFC?

:p

blueballs
08-13-2006, 10:01 PM
paparika

Moooo
08-13-2006, 10:01 PM
I agree with whoever said spices. Chicken is, as far as meat is concerned, a blank slate. You can do a lot with it and get different results.

I don't have any recipies, though. I try and stay away from fried foods. I like those rotisserie chickens...YUMMMMM!

Moooo

Logical
08-13-2006, 10:04 PM
I agree with whoever said spices. Chicken is, as far as meat is concerned, a blank slate. You can do a lot with it and get different results.

I don't have any recipies, though. I try and stay away from fried foods. I like those rotisserie chickens...YUMMMMM!

MooooI can do rotiserrie, but I am a failure at Fried. KFC, Popeyes etc are fine on occasion but that is not what I am going for. I am going for old fashioned Southern Fried Chicken.

Nzoner
08-13-2006, 10:11 PM
Yep,if there's one thing I truly miss it's gathering at grandma's house for Sunday dinner with her fried chicken,white cream gravy and homemade rolls.

Chiefsallday
08-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Garlic powder, pepper, paprika, seasoning salt & accent. If you want a crust, flour the chicken heavily aking sure to include any juices remining in the bottom of the mixing dish. Then you must make sure the oil the chicken is cooked in is at the proper temperature and is hot enough to brown the crust emediately. After it browns in the first 2 o 4 minutes, turn the temperature down and cover. his works for both deep fried or pan fried.

Bowser
08-13-2006, 10:16 PM
The secret is to find a fast car and get yourself to Strouds, post haste!

DJay23
08-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Yep,if there's one thing I truly miss it's gathering at grandma's house for Sunday dinner with her fried chicken,white cream gravy and homemade rolls.
Holy shit are we related? That sounds like Sunday dinner at my grandma's

blueballs
08-13-2006, 10:19 PM
before scalding the chicken to get the
feathers off
put clothes pin on nose

kcfanintitanhell
08-13-2006, 10:19 PM
These folks have 20 different ways to make your chicken out of this world-http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html
Not spam, just a satisfied customer. And they have a shop just off Metcalf.

hypersensitiveZO6
08-13-2006, 10:20 PM
I visit my friend who lives in Rogers, Arkansas every year.

There seems to be a lot of good chicken places in Arkansas.

AQ, etc.

Count Alex's Wins
08-13-2006, 10:21 PM
KFC tastes like ass.

blueballs
08-13-2006, 10:22 PM
you've tasted ass

kcirnamffoh
08-13-2006, 10:23 PM
When you say fried you must mean quick and you must mean grease. So the hotter the grease the better the fried chicken. Hot grease, very hot, extremely hot. If you don't make a mess it wasn't hot enough.

luv
08-13-2006, 10:24 PM
If I told you, then it wouldn't be my secret anymore. :)

ChiefsFire
08-13-2006, 10:25 PM
marry a southern girl....bonus is shes prolly gonna be missing some teeth

Moooo
08-13-2006, 10:29 PM
marry a southern girl....bonus is shes prolly gonna be missing some teeth

In the south, fried chicken isn't a food, its a way of life...

Moooo

trndobrd
The oil....or more correctly, lard. Partially hydrogenated vegetable oil doesn't taste the same.

My great grandma had a cast iron skillet and oil that she used for everything. In the morning she would get up, scoop out any mice tracks, heat it up and throw in some bacon and eggs. For lunch we would have sammiches and pie. Then she would fry up some chicken for dinner in the same reheated grease. I'm guessing that she changed it out every once in a while.

Obviously the downside is the health consequences. My great-grandpa died at 89 and grandma passed at 90.

cdcox
Garlic powder, pepper, paprika, seasoning salt & accent. If you want a crust, flour the chicken heavily aking sure to include any juices remining in the bottom of the mixing dish. Then you must make sure the oil the chicken is cooked in is at the proper temperature and is hot enough to brown the crust emediately. After it browns in the first 2 o 4 minutes, turn the temperature down and cover. his works for both deep fried or pan fried.

My wife does it similarly. She only uses flour, salt and pepper for the coating. Fries it in Crisco shortening, probably about a half a cup or more. She quickly browns it on all sides, then turns the temperature of the skillet down and covers it for about 45 min or so, turning occasionaly.

The gravey is my department. I'll usually pour off some of the leftover fat but keep all the crispy bits that fell off the chicken. Add as much flour as you have remaining fat. Let it cook for just a minute or so, then add milk, stirring constantly. Add the right amount of milk so the gravey is not too thick or too thin. Salt and pepper to taste.

Pitt Gorilla
08-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Garlic.

Check out Chicken Annies in SE KS for outstanding chicken.

Lzen
08-13-2006, 10:32 PM
My mom always uses just salt, pepper, flour, and paprika. Her fried chicken is the best.

dtebbe
08-13-2006, 10:40 PM
I ALWAYS get Popeye's spicy. No better chicken on earth.

Red beans and rice required as well.

DT

Moooo
08-13-2006, 10:44 PM
I'm sure if you go on the food network website, you could find some good recipies. They have a million of them.

Most of it is beyond what I can do, but someone showed me that website, and they have a HUGE database for recipies.

They even tell you what chef came up with it.

Moooo

KCFalcon59
08-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Garlic.

Check out Chicken Annies in SE KS for outstanding chicken.

Been there. Good chicken. Long time ago.

luv
08-13-2006, 10:48 PM
I'm sure if you go on the food network website, you could find some good recipies. They have a million of them.

Most of it is beyond what I can do, but someone showed me that website, and they have a HUGE database for recipies.

They even tell you what chef came up with it.

Moooo
If you search by chef, look under Paula Dean. Alabama gal. She does a lot of the homecookin' type of meals.

Stryker
08-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Logical,

The secret is after "seasoning" the chicken and rolling it in the batter, put it in the refig to "congel". Get the grease hot. I use an outside burner. When the grease is hot then remove from the refrig and straight to the hot grease. When it gets golden brown - remove and place on something to absorb the excess grease - either paper towels or the old fasioned brown paper bags from the super market.

I learned this from my grandparents as well as my father. Works every time! Good Luck!

luv
08-13-2006, 11:04 PM
Logical,

The secret is after "seasoning" the chicken and rolling it in the batter, put it in the refig to "congel". Get the grease hot. I use an outside burner. When the grease is hot then remove from the refrig and straight to the hot grease. When it gets golden brown - remove and place on something to absorb the excess grease - either paper towels or the old fasioned brown paper bags from the super market.

I learned this from my grandparents as well as my father. Works every time! Good Luck!
Sounds like that would make for some crispy chicken.

BIG K
08-13-2006, 11:05 PM

You guys have chicken back there too?......

:)

Demonpenz
08-13-2006, 11:05 PM
S to the icey!

Stryker
08-13-2006, 11:11 PM

The cold to hot makes it crispy on the outside and done on the inside. Next time you decide to do fried chiken - try it! Take a look in the background at your favorite chicken place next time you are there - it is what they do!

I live in Louisiana so Popeye's is the place of choice. As for the seasoning, that is up to each individuals taste. Experiment!

chief2000
08-13-2006, 11:13 PM
That flamboyant overproduced show with Alton Brown did southern fried chicken.

I think he has a website.

KcMizzou
08-13-2006, 11:20 PM
S to the icey!Sicey?

KcMizzou
08-13-2006, 11:21 PM
I ALWAYS get Popeye's spicy. No better chicken on earth.

Red beans and rice required as well.

DTGreat stuff. I'd skip the chicken and double up on the red beans and rice.

Iowanian
08-13-2006, 11:24 PM
My grandmother's fried chicken....and chicken and noodles ruled.

I think the secret is fresh chicken, frying it in lard.

luv
08-13-2006, 11:26 PM
You guys have chicken back there too?......

:)
Believe it or not. Some of us even kill our own (not me, I'm just sayin').

luv
08-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Sicey?
ROFL

Iowanian
08-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Thats very true, and I think there should be a support group, as there are more than a bbs' fair share of admitted chicken chokers here

Believe it or not. Some of us even kill our own (not me, I'm just sayin').

I pulled the head off of my first chicken when I was 5....didn't manage to choke one until much later in life.

Demonpenz
08-13-2006, 11:37 PM
yeahhhh your a d to the ork!

BIG K
08-13-2006, 11:37 PM
didn't manage to choke one until much later in life.

ROFL

luv
08-13-2006, 11:38 PM
Thats very true, and I think there should be a support group, as there are more than a bbs' fair share of admitted chicken chokers here

I pulled the head off of my first chicken when I was 5....didn't manage to choke one until much later in life.
My mom told me about how her and her siblings would catch chickens, step on their heads, yank the body away, and hang it up on the clothes line until the nerves died.

luv
08-13-2006, 11:39 PM
yeahhhh your a d to the ork!
You've been listening to too many Sonic commercials. ROFL

Iowanian
08-13-2006, 11:46 PM
you can step on their head, pull the feet and the head will pop right off. Some just grab the head and neck with both hands and twist and pull....some chop.

you can just drop them and let them flop, but it bruises the meat.....and there are alot of experts on bruised meat from too much beating here.

Demonpenz
08-13-2006, 11:49 PM
used to do the same thing with kittens

luv
08-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Okay, now that's not funny. You could mention bunnies, but not kittens.

Iowanian
08-13-2006, 11:55 PM

You would say that....considering thats the only p@ssy you've had your hands on that didn't charge up front.

dtebbe
08-13-2006, 11:58 PM
That flamboyant overproduced show with Alton Brown did southern fried chicken.

I think he has a website.

Alton Brown is thow fabuwus! :thailor:

DT

luv
08-13-2006, 11:59 PM
Alton Brown is thow fabuwus! :thailor:

DT
If he's gay, he's not the flamer.

BucEyedPea
08-14-2006, 12:00 AM
Okay, now that's not funny. You could mention bunnies, but not kittens.
No please, my bunny was killed this week...and now I buyin' a gun to shoot the neighbor's cat.

Fishpicker
08-14-2006, 12:06 AM
Everybody has their own take on seasoning. The breading process is pretty key though. I use 3 or 4 egg-whites whipped with 1 1/2 cup 7-up.

I mix the seasoning and breading together. dip the the chicken in the egg/7 mixture. blanche the chicken. then I apply the mixture again and add more breading.

Lonewolf Ed
08-14-2006, 12:08 AM

You ought to consider dropping the Accent. It is only MSG. I will not use it.

Demonpenz
08-14-2006, 12:08 AM
You would say that....considering thats the only p@ssy you've had your hands on that didn't charge up front.

Rings true considering the dinner/movie the last one cost me.

greg63
08-14-2006, 12:19 AM

hypersensitiveZO6
08-14-2006, 12:22 AM

Logical
08-14-2006, 12:58 AM
Logical,

I learned this from my grandparents as well as my father. Works every time! Good Luck!Thats a good hint thanks

boogblaster
08-14-2006, 07:36 AM
Take a chicken live or dead your option get out your torch or campfire throw the bastard into the fire after most of the feathers are gone stomp the guts out roll in soulefood seasoning then apply corn chips ground or straight your option throw that fricker in a deep pan of hot oil fry till black as coal then throw away the chicken and drink the oil... Hell its tastes like chicken....BOOG OUTT....

Saulbadguy
08-14-2006, 08:06 AM
NEDM.

Saulbadguy
08-14-2006, 08:11 AM
Just eat the skin.

chagrin
08-14-2006, 08:19 AM
If you want good Southern Fried Chicken, you have to go back - use lard or crisco and buttermilk, Salt, Black Pepper in the breading.

SCTrojan
08-14-2006, 09:14 AM
My mom dipped the chicken pieces in eggs, then rolled them in a flour/salt/pepper mix. Fried them in crisco oil in an electric skillet. It's the one meal I request when I visit.

JBucc
08-14-2006, 09:16 AM
My secret is to let someone who knows what they're doing make it and I just eat it.

Calcountry
08-14-2006, 12:04 PM
I admit I miss my grandmothers (all of them) fried chicken. So what was the secret?You must start with fresh ingredients, take the Chicken.

Raise it fresh on broiler mash, then, when you want to cook, heat up a pot, go out and grab one, take a sharp knife and...

Well, you get the point.

Makes for delicious, flavorfull meat.

cookster50
08-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Peachtree buffet

Halfcan
08-14-2006, 01:07 PM
I go to Popeye's for my chicken.

WARPARTY70
08-14-2006, 01:13 PM
Your batter should be buttermilk , then you should double dip the chicken first in the buttermilk batter then in the flour mix and repeat the process. I find that work best. As far as frying your chicken make sure the oil is hot , test by drop a small piece of bread in the oil, it should fry instantly The chicken should about half way in the oil this will seal in the juices. Brown the chicken and turn over and brown the other side. My family love my fried chicken!!!!!

Halfcan
08-14-2006, 01:30 PM
I always boil my chicken before I do anything with it. It precooks it and gets all the nasty blood out of it.

buddha
08-14-2006, 01:57 PM
I always boil my chicken before I do anything with it. It precooks it and gets all the nasty blood out of it.

Boiling chicken isn't the road to edible fried chicken.

Basic fried chicken:

1. soak chicken pieces overnight in salt water (very important)
2. heat peanut oil in cast iron skillet until hard frying temperature (oil should be about half the way up the sides of the skillet)
3. dip chicken in buttermilk/egg mixture, roll in flour mixture (flour, seasoned salt, fresh cracked black pepper), dip back in the buttermilk/egg mixture, and final dip in flour.
4. fry about 7-8 mins on one side with lid on, and flip pieces for final five mins (no lid at the end).
5. drain on brown paper bag...no paper towels.

OmegaRed
08-14-2006, 02:29 PM
I admit I miss my grandmothers (all of them) fried chicken. So what was the secret?

My secret for chicken whether it's fried or bbq is a brine. Just get a big bowl full of water, put in a couple handfuls of salt and drop in the chicken. Cover it with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for 30 min to an hour. Then pull them out and pat them down with paper towels. The chicken will soak up the brine and guarentees they'll stay juicy. Using buttermilk is always better. If you want you can add some of your favorite hot sauce to the buttermilk. Then dip into the sauce, dip into your seasoned flour, then back into the buttermilk, and one more time into the flour. Bring your oil (peanut is best for fried chicken but any of them except olive will do) to 380 degrees. I've never tried putting them in the fridge after the batter and before the oil but it sounds good and I'll try that next time. When you put cold chicken in hot oil the temp of the oil will come down. You'll have to adjust after this. The magic number is 360 degrees. As soon as it's golden brown it should be done. Use smaller pieces of chicken. The big pieces won't be done on the inside if you bring them out when the color is right and you'll have to finish them in the oven. If you put them back in the oil the outside will burn by the time the inside is done. Smaller pieces are perfect.

For bbq. Add brown sugar to the salted brine.

greg63
08-14-2006, 02:54 PM
KFC?

:p

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=145544&page=4&pp=15

post #55

MahiMike
08-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Buy it. Preferably in a southern town like mine. Took the family to the oldest fried chicken place in town yesterday. Complete w/fixins - cream peas, rice, mashed potatoes and gravy. And of course biscuits w/honey! mmmm mmmm mmmm!

Logical
08-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Boiling chicken isn't the road to edible fried chicken.

Basic fried chicken:

1. soak chicken pieces overnight in salt water (very important)
2. heat peanut oil in cast iron skillet until hard frying temperature (oil should be about half the way up the sides of the skillet)
3. dip chicken in buttermilk/egg mixture, roll in flour mixture (flour, seasoned salt, fresh cracked black pepper), dip back in the buttermilk/egg mixture, and final dip in flour.
4. fry about 7-8 mins on one side with lid on, and flip pieces for final five mins (no lid at the end).
5. drain on brown paper bag...no paper towels.This appears to be the most simmilar to what I remember. I guess the key I am missing is how much spice per flour ratio to make the tasty crust.

Though I am pretty sure they used lard with bacon drippings instead of peanut oil

Braincase
08-14-2006, 08:27 PM
The original Brookville Hotel.

plbrdude
08-14-2006, 08:44 PM
my secret is to let my wife cook it.
i can cook lots of stuff, but good fried chicken is not one of them.

Adept Havelock
08-14-2006, 08:48 PM
You must start with fresh ingredients, take the Chicken.

Raise it fresh on broiler mash, then, when you want to cook, heat up a pot, go out and grab one, take a sharp knife and...

Well, you get the point.

Makes for delicious, flavorfull meat.

You aren't kidding. Fresh is best....but not for the squeamish. Especially fresh pork chops. :drool:

DJ's left nut
08-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Try dipping it in ranch dressing instead of egg.

Make sure you dry the chicken well before you dip it in the ranch, the chicken juice makes it soupy and the breading doesn't stick as well.

BTW, the Original Brookville Hotel uses instant mashed potatos, screw 'em.

Smed1065
08-14-2006, 10:14 PM

Popeyes and they clean up afterwards!

Smed1065
08-14-2006, 10:20 PM

Popeyes and they clean up afterwards!

Iowanian
08-14-2006, 10:27 PM
wow...one thing is for sure, wherever this guy is...HIGH Larity ensues.

greg63
08-14-2006, 10:38 PM
my secret is to let my wife cook it.
i can cook lots of stuff, but good fried chicken is not one of them.

Never let your wife know you can cook; mine thinks I need a recipe to boil water. :D

Earthling
08-14-2006, 10:41 PM
The best chicken I ever ate was made by my first wifes mom. She would soak it in cream overnight in the fridge. I honestly have never tasted any better.

Logical
08-15-2006, 12:42 AM
I can do rotiserrie, but I am a failure at Fried. KFC, Popeyes etc are fine on occasion but that is not what I am going for. I am going for old fashioned Southern Fried Chicken.For some reason people think I don't know about fast food this post was my 7th post in the thread.