PDA

View Full Version : Help, Fleas.

DMAC
08-14-2006, 12:41 PM
I bought a house back in July and have been fixing it up (pics to come in future thread) and everything has been going smoothly except for one thing...fleas.

The old owners had pets and didn't obviously care about little nasty insects jumping all over the house.

I have sprayed the house with Bayer, then bug bombed the whole place. But the little f'ers just won't die!

The really crazy thing is that I have wood floors!!

I have no idea how they are staying alive.

Anyone know the best method for ridding of them?

Tatertot13
08-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Burn the house down.

Seriously though, I have no idea. Thought the bombs usually did the trick.

Cochise
08-14-2006, 12:44 PM
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/334213_lg.gif http://www.mjmenergy.com/MZINE/Mzine%20images/Match.jpg

Rain Man
08-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Man, those things are nasty. We got them in our apartment when we lived in Texas, and never could get rid of them.

I think you just have to insectonuke the whole house a couple of times in a row to kill the adults with the first one and then kill with the second nuke the generation that hatches immediately after the first nuke is set off. And then while you're doing that, fleadip your pets to get the ones on them. Even then, those things seem like they're indestructible.

Halfcan
08-14-2006, 12:45 PM
They could be out in your yard too, might have to spray down the whole perimeter of the house. Bug bomb the basement and the entire house with stuff that will kill the eggs, plus wash all of your blankets and that type of stuff. Good luck.

hypersensitiveZO6
08-14-2006, 12:47 PM
You can buy some stuff at walmart that kills the whole colony, tribe, whatever.

It's some sort of attracting food that when the fly takes it back to it's home, it poisens the whole family.

I'd give it try.

JBucc
08-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Kill your Dogs and burn the house down with everything in it. Even then they will come from your neighbors yard.

DMAC
08-14-2006, 12:49 PM
And then while you're doing that, fleadip your pets to get the ones on them. I don't have pets. These things just live. And on wood floors.

I have sprayed the lawn, the house 3 times, bug bombed each room.

I can hear their little laughter when I go to bed.

dtebbe
If you have pets, go to the vet and get them Capstar (kills any fleas on the dog immediately) and then get them on Frontline.

As for the house, I would call a professional exterminator, the $150 or so it would cost for the 2 visits to wipe them out would be worth it IMHO.

DT

Brock
At night, take a glass baking dish, put some water and cooking oil in it, set it on the floor with a desk lamp shining down into it. Turn off all the lights in the room. The fleas will happily jump to their doom.

Mr. Laz
08-14-2006, 12:50 PM
http://www.redhotchilipeppers.lt/uploads/img412c645cec2c8.jpg

Dartgod
08-14-2006, 12:50 PM
:shake:

You guys are slipping up. The obvious answer is...

Put out a bowl of antifreeze.

Mr. Laz
08-14-2006, 12:51 PM
At night, take a glass baking dish, put some water and cooking oil in it, set it on the floor with a desk lamp shining down into it. Turn off all the lights in the room. The fleas will happily jump to their doom.
nice

DMAC
08-14-2006, 12:51 PM
At night, take a glass baking dish, put some water and cooking oil in it, set it on the floor with a desk lamp shining down into it. Turn off all the lights in the room. The fleas will happily jump to their doom.No kiddin? Has this worked for you?

Cochise
08-14-2006, 12:52 PM
:shake:

You guys are slipping up. The obvious answer is...

Put out a bowl of antifreeze.

What I meant with the picture of the gas can and the match was, that's what I did to my cat, and after that, no more fleas.

Brock
08-14-2006, 12:53 PM
No kiddin? Has this worked for you?

Some people use dish soap instead of cooking oil.

You'll be amazed at how they just jump right in.

I've owned a lot of rental properties, so this is something I've dealt with a lot.

Calcountry
08-14-2006, 12:55 PM
I believe I posted a complete flea care post about 2 months back, but am too lazy to search for it.

Cliff notes: Fleas are multi-cycle insects, you need a long lasting carpet spray, I recommend Zodiac carpet spray. On the can, it will say "works for 210 days" or something like that. It should also have IGR(Insect Growth regulator) as the active ingredient.

Totally harmless to you once it dries, totally annihilates fleas, larvae, and eggs for the above mentioned time. You should be able to pick this up at your full service pet store in your area.

MOhillbilly
08-14-2006, 12:56 PM
permertin II add abit of dishsoap so itll stick. spray and repeat in two weeks.

vaccum.

Calcountry
08-14-2006, 12:57 PM
If you have pets, go to the vet and get them Capstar (kills any fleas on the dog immediately) and then get them on Frontline.

As for the house, I would call a professional exterminator, the $150 or so it would cost for the 2 visits to wipe them out would be worth it IMHO.

DTOr, you could do the carpet spray for about 20 bucks.

Don't forget about the yard as fleas can live out there without a host for almost a year as well.

Rain Man
08-14-2006, 12:58 PM

Wow, that's cool. I'll have to remember that. And even better is that at the end you just add some cheese and onions and you have the makings for a nice protein-rich casserole.

Calcountry
08-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Wow, that's cool. I'll have to remember that. And even better is that at the end you just add some cheese and onions and you have the makings for a nice protein-rich casserole.Sounds like he was speaking from experience? :shrug:

Skip Towne
08-14-2006, 01:04 PM
This sounds like a problem that you will have to deal with while I move happily on to the next thread.

DMAC
08-14-2006, 01:06 PM
This sounds like a problem that you will have to deal with while I move happily on to the next thread.good.

Getting rid of you is almost as nice as it will be when those fleas are gone.

Calcountry
08-14-2006, 01:09 PM
This sounds like a problem that you will have to deal with while I move happily on to the next thread.Thanks for sharing that valuable information with us. Now, go find a Satellite thread to drop your dentures in.

Sully
08-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Have you stabbed any of the said fleas in the face?
I'd think the rest would be too intimidated to remain after that.

DMAC
08-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Have you stabbed any of the said fleas in the face?
I'd think the rest would be too intimidated to remain after that.HA!

Last night I did find a baby flea on my arm. So I killed it and threw it back on the floor yelling, " See that ya little f'ers!! I killed your baby!! Now get the hell out my house or I'm gonna find a cockroach to rape your daughters!!"

JBucc
08-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Is there any kind of animals that eat fleas? Maybe you could get a bunch of those and release them into your yard.

Mr. Laz
08-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Is there any kind of animals that eat fleas? Maybe you could get a bunch of those and release them into your yard.
ya,ya,ya

start you own Ecosystem :clap:

lets us know how that works out for you.

The Dude Abides
08-14-2006, 02:46 PM
HA!

Last night I did find a baby flea on my arm. So I killed it and threw it back on the floor yelling, " See that ya little f'ers!! I killed your baby!! Now get the hell out my house or I'm gonna find a cockroach to rape your daughters!!"
ROFL

boogblaster
08-14-2006, 02:52 PM
GO next door to the neighbors get their dog spray him with FLEAS IN LUV send his ass back home he'll take them little bastards home.....BOOG OUTT...

djrcmay
08-14-2006, 02:54 PM
email me about the fleas, I live in Ozark, Mo. savedin79@yahoo.com Ive had the problem in the past

Skip Towne
08-14-2006, 02:59 PM
good.

Getting rid of you is almost as nice as it will be when those fleas are gone.
Hahahahaha. Hire an exterminator you cheap ass. We aren't here to solve all your petty problems. :p

Rain Man
08-14-2006, 03:04 PM

I read that story. You'll end up with a herd of elephants in your yard.

BucEyedPea
08-14-2006, 03:07 PM
That happened to us when we moved here but the place had carpets.Got bit all over. Washing them usually drowns 'em...and that worked with the carpet.

Later, I put in hardwood floors just 'cause I liked them and I have a dog now too.

DMAC
08-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Hire an exterminator you cheap ass. :pI don't think I can do that.

It's personal now.

http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2003/07-01-terminator-inside.jpghttp://www.flea-and-tick.com/images/flea.gif

greg63
08-14-2006, 03:14 PM
I don't think I can do that.

It's personal now.

http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2003/07-01-terminator-inside.jpghttp://www.flea-and-tick.com/images/flea.gif

You could all wear one of these. :shrug:

Iowanian
08-14-2006, 03:15 PM
Installed hardwood floors.

That sounds like the method you used to get rid of CRABS...not fleas.

greg63
08-14-2006, 03:18 PM

Skip Towne
08-14-2006, 03:18 PM
I'm rooting for the fleas.

JBucc
08-14-2006, 03:19 PM
You could all wear one of these. :shrug:Those things suck

greg63
08-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Those things suck

Speaking from personal experience are ya. :p

JBucc
08-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Speaking from personal experience are ya. :p
Yes. On the Dog that is. I think the fleas purposely go up and poop on the dogs head just to show you it's not working.

DMAC
08-14-2006, 03:36 PM
Yes. On the Dog that is. I think the fleas purposely go up and poop on the dogs head just to show you it's not working.ROFLROFL

Dartgod
08-14-2006, 03:37 PM
I read that story. You'll end up with a herd of elephants in your yard.That would be way cool.

BucEyedPea
08-14-2006, 03:39 PM
DMAC- You may need all your furniture professionally cleaned or washed to drown them too. Don't know what kind of furniture you have but sofa's and cloth chairs will need the same treatment as any carpet. None of those flea products worked....we had to drown 'em. Also, all your bed linens, blanket, comforters, spreads and towels too.

greg63
08-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Yes. On the Dog that is. I think the fleas purposely go up and poop on the dogs head just to show you it's not working.

ROFL

Oh! On the dog! Gotcha.:p

DMAC
08-14-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm rooting for the fleas.Well, good.

Shouldn't you be outside yellin at some kids to get off your lawn?

Calcountry
08-14-2006, 04:22 PM
That would be way cool.Hey Darty, where was the gaming thread moved to? :p

DMAC
08-16-2006, 09:08 AM
At night, take a glass baking dish, put some water and cooking oil in it, set it on the floor with a desk lamp shining down into it. Turn off all the lights in the room. The fleas will happily jump to their doom.I did this last night, and caught about 5.

I heard the only way to really get rid of them is by Frontlining your pet...but since I don't have a pet, to get a piece of bloody hamburger and frontline that...

Supposedly it makes them impotent.

MOhillbilly
08-16-2006, 09:17 AM
I did this last night, and caught about 5.

I heard the only way to really get rid of them is by Frontlining your pet...but since I don't have a pet, to get a piece of bloody hamburger and frontline that...

Supposedly it makes them impotent.

REREAD MY ORG POST IN THIS THREAD AND TAKE IT TO THE BANK.

**** ALL WHAT YOU HEARD. IM SPEAKIN FROM EXP.

DMAC
08-16-2006, 09:20 AM
permertin II add abit of dishsoap so itll stick. spray and repeat in two weeks.

vaccum.I have wood floors.

Are you saying put this in a spray bottle?

apache
08-16-2006, 09:30 AM
We have a rental house and the renters bombed and still had fleas they heard putting table salt abundantly down on floors would work . i was skeptical too. But It worked no more fleas

MOhillbilly
08-16-2006, 11:04 AM
I have wood floors.

Are you saying put this in a spray bottle?

any type spray bottle or garden sprayer.
one tablespoon per 1/2 gallon. repeat in two weeks.

Duck Dog
08-16-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but it works, I know from experience.

You'll need a desk lamp that has the adjustable 'neck' on it and a bowl of water. At night, put the bowl of water on the floor and position the lamp directly over the water. Turn off all the lights. In the morning empty the water out along with your dead fleas. I used 3 lamps and was flea free in two nights.