PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Planet Store

Tribal Warfare
08-15-2006, 01:22 AM
I think we should reinstate this, because I think some of the guys would love a T-shirt or hat to show love and comradery to Chiefs Planet.

A poll is forthcoming

Logical
08-15-2006, 01:25 AM
I think we should reinstate this, because I think some of the guys would love a T-shirt or hat to show love and comradery to Chiefs Planet.

A poll is forthcomingUnless you are volunteering to handle it, inventory, distribution etc. I just have to say no. Pink and Phil were great to take care of this but I know it was a hassle. JMO

Tribal Warfare
08-15-2006, 01:29 AM
I posted this because the new guys would love Chiefs Planet gear.

|Zach|
08-15-2006, 01:32 AM
The folks that tried this took a bath.

It is easy to make a thread about and hard to do.

keg in kc
08-15-2006, 01:32 AM
Logical's point is your answer.

It's not whether the community wants the store, it's whether anyone in the community wants to run it...

Tribal Warfare
08-15-2006, 01:36 AM
Logical's point is your answer.

It's not whether the community wants the store, it's whether anyone in the community wants to run it...

correct, but if we create another commitee concerning this it ccould workout to lessen, or even accreate the load

|Zach|
08-15-2006, 01:51 AM
correct, but if we create another commitee concerning this it ccould workout to lessen, or even accreate the load
So you are going to spread out the job of designing...ordering (with money) merchandise...processing orders...shipping to people...

Between multiple people in different places?

Tribal Warfare
08-15-2006, 02:15 AM
So you are going to spread out the job of designing...ordering (with money) merchandise...processing orders...shipping to people...

Between multiple people in different places?
That's the basis of a commitee

Ari Chi3fs
08-15-2006, 02:46 AM
PAIN IN THE ASS.

Tribal Warfare
08-15-2006, 02:48 AM
PAIN IN THE ASS.I think the NEW guys would be thrilled about this idea, and that's the purpose of the Tech committee because it is a hassle to run Chiefs Planet

Otter
08-15-2006, 03:02 AM
The website I help run uses cafepress.com for their distribution. I don't deal with that part so I don't want to make remarks on what it does and doesn't do but I know it takes out several steps in the marketing, selling and distribution of the products.

Might want to look into that before trying to run things on your own, if at all.

I'll warn you though; their hats are the big risers/truck driver hats.

Tribal Warfare
08-15-2006, 03:32 AM
Might want to look into that before trying to run things on your own, if at all.

Thus the purpose of the committee

morphius
08-15-2006, 05:42 AM
I don't see this happening anytime soon. Would it be cool, hell yeah, but at the same time, Phobia had to dump a lot of the Planet stuff because he was tired of holding onto the stuff that people said they would buy.

We stayed away from cafepress because we wanted a higher quality item, and the hats Phobia did are a lot better then some sort of image just put on a hat.

Maybe at some point this will happen, but I think now is still too early.

jspchief
08-15-2006, 05:47 AM
It could be done, but it would require people to pay up front and then be patient about receiving their merchandise. After Phil took a hit, I don't see anyone else sticking their neck out by carrying an inventory.

If anything, a "once per year" sales drive might be the way to go. Everyone interested orders and pays up front, then the order is sent to the graphics company.

Phobia
08-15-2006, 06:25 AM
Pay up front was the only way I would have considered it again. I didn't really "take a bath" but we didn't make anything either and with all the time my wife put into making that work and all the money we put up front we were entitled to putting a little in the bank, I think. People simply didn't order what they said they were going to order and I didn't have the time (nor the inclination) to chase them down.

Cafepress would work but they're expensive and they take almost all the money. I can't vouch for their quality either.

Fire Me Boy!
08-15-2006, 06:43 AM
If someone didn't want to run the store, would anyone be willing to set up a Cafe Press store? Set it up so no one is making money and everyone gets to buy their stuff at cost.

EDIT: Obviously, I didn't read Phil's post... the quality of Cafe Press is good, IIRC. And they have a lot more to offer than just shirts and caps. Maybe some of the office people around the Planet would like coffee mug?

BigRedChief
08-15-2006, 07:14 AM
We stayed away from cafepress because we wanted a higher quality item, and the hats Phobia did are a lot better then some sort of image just put on a hat.

My Chiefs Planet hat is my favorite Chiefs hat. Good quality. Simple design. :clap:

DaFace
08-15-2006, 07:51 AM
I'll be the third to mention CafePress as a viable option. If you guys aren't familiar with it, you just upload a design and set prices. When people place orders, CP prints 'em up and ships them out. No inventory management needed whatsoever.

The prices might be a bit higher, but it wouldn't cost anyone hardly anything to do. I'd even set it up if people can help me brainstorm ideas for the products. I'd also need people to help out with graphics. But whateva, let me know if you're interested.

DaFace
08-15-2006, 08:19 AM
Just for example, I threw a CafePress page together real quick. You can check it out here:

http://www.cafepress.com/chiefs_planet

I'd recommend not ordering anything, as the logo I used was fairly low-resolution and will probably look blurry on the products themselves. I just threw it together to see what people would think about it.

jspchief
08-15-2006, 08:21 AM
After the last CP shirt I bought was an XXL that fit like a L, I'm pretty much out of the "buy t-shirts from message boards" business.

Bwana
08-15-2006, 08:23 AM
It would be nice and I voted yes, but I think you will have a hard time getting people to jump in line to foot the bill for start up costs.

jspchief
08-15-2006, 08:29 AM
It would be nice and I voted yes, but I think you will have a hard time getting people to jump in line to foot the bill for start up costs.It's not about startup costs. It's about paying for what you claim you will order.

I can take orders at $13-15 per shirt right now and have as many as we need within 3 weeks. However, it's something different to order $1k worth of shirts in advance, so that it can be shipped the day it's ordered.

morphius
08-15-2006, 09:55 AM
My Chiefs Planet hat is my favorite Chiefs hat. Good quality. Simple design. :clap:
Yeah, sadly mine has seen better days, but I have had the thing for a while now.

Daface - The cups and tshirts there would probably be fine, but for the nicer shirts and for hats I can't imagine anything but embroidered.

Iowanian
08-15-2006, 10:01 AM
If its such a "can't miss" idea, Einstein, why don't you go ahead and just order a couple hundred Tshirt and caps....and take care of it.

I've got a red jersey cap I don't think I've ever worn.

DaFace
08-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Daface - The cups and tshirts there would probably be fine, but for the nicer shirts and for hats I can't imagine anything but embroidered.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But if there's really no other option...

Either way, do you have a high-res version of the CP logo I could use to play around with? I might throw together a few of the novelty items (cups, beer steins, bibs) with the logo and then make a couple mouse pads using the wallpapers (assuming it's OK with the designers - I won't be making any profit on this).

PastorMikH
08-15-2006, 11:45 AM
I think it would be great to have the store back. But, someone has to be willing to do the work, and I don't have the time.

Several things on the subject though. First, are the Planet logo's copyrighted? It wouldn't be wise to outsource a bunch of work to a third party company with logos and designs that aren't copyrighted. Also, if they are copyrighted, the owner of the copyright needs to give permisions before they can be used.

Also, I think that if someone takes on running the store, they should see some commission from the sales to make it worth their time. That way it continues to run and the person isn't as apt to lose interest in the endeavor. If they drop out or lose interest, the commission could attract another person to the job.

ferrarispider95
08-15-2006, 11:51 AM
I have a expensive vinyl plotter - I will do a Chiefs Planet Logo sticker. You know the white outline ones to go on your car and will sell for cost. I would also need a high res graphic.

ferrarispider95
08-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Also I can make them on demand, so not really out anything but time.

jAZ
08-15-2006, 12:14 PM
The folks that tried this took a bath.

It is easy to make a thread about and hard to do.
I'll do it.

http://www.cafepress.com/

jspchief
08-15-2006, 12:15 PM
I'll do it.

http://www.cafepress.com/ Incredibly original idea.

Fire Me Boy!
08-15-2006, 12:16 PM
Incredibly original idea.
ROFL

jAZ
08-15-2006, 12:28 PM
Incredibly original idea.
Hey thanks! Nice to get the old slap on the back every once in a while. It feels great to be recognized thoughtfully by one's peers...

Hey, wait...

(looks around)

This is ChiefsPlanet, right...

(scrolls up)

:banghead:

(kicks sarcsometer)

sedated
08-15-2006, 12:52 PM
I want a shirt

Tribal Warfare
08-15-2006, 02:44 PM
BUMP

|Zach|
08-15-2006, 02:49 PM
BUMP
Are you waiting for a committee to form?

Sounds like you are off to a good start. ROFL

Tribal Warfare
08-15-2006, 02:55 PM
Are you waiting for a committee to form?

Sounds like you are off to a good start. ROFL

It looks like I am doesn't it

Iowanian
08-15-2006, 03:01 PM
HRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRr

jspchief
08-15-2006, 03:04 PM
HRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRrThat pretty much says it all.

Nzoner
08-15-2006, 03:06 PM
I want a shirt

I've got an extra,just bring me a case of Blvd Wheat to the bash and it's yours.

sedated
08-15-2006, 03:10 PM
I've got an extra,just bring me a case of Blvd Wheat to the bash and it's yours.

as long as it fits.

and it's not covered in cigar burns and protein stains

CHENZ A!
08-15-2006, 03:38 PM
If you guys do this, you've got to make stocking caps with the CP logo on them, I need a new one for wearing to the games. White with the CP logo would look sharp.

Nzoner
08-15-2006, 03:42 PM
as long as it fits.

and it's not covered in cigar burns and protein stains

No worries,it'll fit,and I have a Grbac jersey I use for clean-up.