PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

luv
08-15-2006, 03:44 PM
My brakes are starting to squeak. How much should I expect to pay fr new brake pads, including installation, for a 2000 Ford Contour? Just trying to get a rough estimate. I can find out how much brake pads would be (and I can get them at a discount), but I'm not sure how much labor runs nowadays.

jspchief
08-15-2006, 03:44 PM
About $150

DMAC
08-15-2006, 03:45 PM
You can just take off the pin that makes them squeak, theres plenty of pad left.

luv
08-15-2006, 03:48 PM
You can just take off the pin that makes them squeak, theres plenty of pad left.
Whenever I got my car inspected last April, they told me that I would need new pads pretty soon. It passed inspection, though. That been a few months ago, though.

jspchief
08-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Whenever I got my car inspected last April, they told me that I would need new pads pretty soon. It passed inspection, though. That been a few months ago, though.Yea, you can take the pin off... and risk wearing the pads down to the point they damage your rotors. Probably not worth the risk to put off a repair that needs to be done anyway.

It's a relatively cheap fix. Call any brake shop and they should be able to give you an estimate over the phone.

DMAC
08-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Whenever I got my car inspected last April, they told me that I would need new pads pretty soon. It passed inspection, though. That been a few months ago, though.Did you get your car inspected at a brake place?

luv
08-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Yea, you can take the pin off... and risk wearing the pads down to the point they damage your rotors. Probably not worth the risk to put off a repair that needs to be done anyway.

It's a relatively cheap fix. Call any brake shop and they should be able to give you an estimate over the phone.
Thanks. Then I could ask them how much it would be for just labor if I brought in my own brake pads. I've heard they don't like it when people do that, but oh well.

luv
08-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Did you get your car inspected at a brake place?
Bridgestone? I think. Whatever the one is closest to my place. They do brakes, oils changes, tires, etc.

jspchief
08-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks. Then I could ask them how much it would be for just labor if I brought in my own brake pads. I've heard they don't like it when people do that, but oh well.Brake pads are really cheap. I can't imagine the price of the pads will be the deal breaker.

luv
08-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Brake pads are really cheap. I can't imagine the price of the pads will be the deal breaker.
Well thanks for the help. It'd be even cheaper if I knew someone who knew how to put them on, but alas....

Bob Dole
08-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Well thanks for the help. It'd be even cheaper if I knew someone who knew how to put them on, but alas....

You and tommykat should just get together Saturday and do it yourselves.

(Be sure to set up the camcorder, please.)

luv
08-15-2006, 04:20 PM

We might be able to mae some good money off of that one. ROFL

Jenson71
08-15-2006, 04:22 PM

Bob Dole's fetishes never cease to amaze.

Bob Dole
08-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Bob Dole's fetishes never cease to amaze.

Liking good comedy is a fetish?

Jenson71
08-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Liking good comedy is a fetish?

Of course. It's why I've been attracted to Rosanne Barr since I was six.