PDA

View Full Version : Official: Gas price bitching thread.

Calcountry
08-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Oh, about every 2 or 3 weeks we get a gas price bitching thread, might as well lump em all in here in this thread. Just bump it up any time you wish to reengage the gas price bitching.

$3.07/gallon across the street.

chief52
08-15-2006, 07:40 PM
$3.39 straight up from you...it sucks. ( Humboldt County, Calif. )

Coach
08-15-2006, 07:41 PM
It's bullshit that it has to be over 3 freaking dollars for a single damned gallon.

Bullshit I say.

And where the hell are the E-85 fuel in Kansas?

Calcountry
08-15-2006, 07:45 PM
It is getting bad, when Southwest will fly you there cheaper than you can drive.

SNR
08-15-2006, 07:47 PM
It's bullshit that it has to be over 3 freaking dollars for a single damned gallon.

Bullshit I say.

And where the hell are the E-85 fuel in Kansas?Actually, at this rate, E85 isn't that much more of a bargain. They aren't making that shit fast enough, so no matter what they put into it, it's a rare commodity, thus the increase in that type of gas.

When it catches fire (pun intended) the price of E85 will probably go way down

Zebedee DuBois
08-15-2006, 07:52 PM
$2.84 in Wichita.

Didn't think I would be happy to see that price, but it is better than it was a week ago.

Coach
It is getting bad, when Southwest will fly you there cheaper than you can drive.

Funny you mentioned that.

I did the math on driving to Dallas and back to KC, and flying Southwest from KCI to Dallas and back.

It is cheaper to fly than to drive.

I fee that if it's cheaper to fly than to drive, then there is something seriously wrong with this country.

Herzig
I guess it's not too bad...you still see plenty of fools driving their SUV's and V8's around

Sam Hall
08-15-2006, 07:58 PM
My car has a 1.6 L tank. I'm saving more money than most people, but I should be saving more. Back in the day, it would only cost ten or eleven dollars to fill the tank. Every little bit counts when you're in college and commuting 40 miles to Warrensburg a couple times a week.

chiefs4me
08-15-2006, 07:59 PM
Thank God I am back in Texas..I had to pay 3.29 a gallon for diesel last week in MO, here in Texas it is only 2.95..

buickboy71
08-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Actually E85 isnt a very good deal. What they dont tell you is that it takes roughly twice as much of E85 to go the same distance as regular gasoline. Here E85 is only 50 cents per gallon cheaper, so actually it is quite a bit more exspensive to use than regular gasoline.

Saulbadguy
08-15-2006, 08:24 PM
Prices went down today. $2.88

Bob Dole
08-15-2006, 08:26 PM
2.69 most places here

Bob Dole
08-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Actually E85 isnt a very good deal. What they dont tell you is that it takes roughly twice as much of E85 to go the same distance as regular gasoline. Here E85 is only 50 cents per gallon cheaper, so actually it is quite a bit more exspensive to use than regular gasoline.

50% isn't accurate.

You can check the EPA mileage figures for new flex-fuel vehicles at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byfueltype.htm

whoman69
08-15-2006, 08:37 PM
2.75 here, gone down by 4 cents twice this weekend. The price of ethanol will gradually go down as supplies increase. It will work to push the price of gas down as well as less is being consumed. You'd think the Wall Street Journal would understand supply and demand instead of b!tching about ethanol all the time. You'd think they were talking about their favorite big company Wal-Mart.

Baconeater
08-15-2006, 09:33 PM
I guess it's not too bad...you still see plenty of fools driving their SUV's and V8's around
Not to mention the idiots who blow right by me at 10mph over the speed limit, only to have me catch back up to them at each stoplight.

Mr. Christopher
08-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Yeah, gas prices suck, fighting in the Middle East, fires in California, the Chiefs lost their first preseason game...the world is going to end soon...

...same ole crap, different day.

wutamess
08-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Not to mention the idiots who blow right by me at 10mph over the speed limit, only to have me catch back up to them at each stoplight.

That was you I passed?
I hate it when that happens. :banghead:

grandllama
08-16-2006, 12:36 AM
eh, I'm not going to bitch...

the price here in Indy is finally the price I paid two weeks ago in KC.... (it was 20cents higher when I got here)... filled up at 2.82 today.

BIG K
08-16-2006, 12:56 AM
Yeah, gas prices suck, fighting in the Middle East, fires in California, the Chiefs lost their first preseason game...the world is going to end soon...

...same ole crap, different day.

Yup! Paying $3.43 for gas. Lot's of fires here in CAL. The Chiefs STILL suck, and oh yeah, Sims is still on the roster. UR right, the world is indeed ending........ :)

greg63
08-16-2006, 12:57 AM
Yup! Paying $3.43 for gas. Lot's of fires here in CAL. The Chiefs STILL suck, and oh yeah, Sims is still on the roster. UR right, the world is indeed ending........ :)

Hey "K" whats going on dude!

BIG K
08-16-2006, 01:08 AM
Hey "K" whats going on dude!

Not a whole lot, just kicking around some ideas... How have you and your fam been?

Guru
08-16-2006, 01:28 AM
2.89 here

el borracho
08-16-2006, 02:18 AM
I am really baffled about all the bitching. Even a dollar a gallon difference is pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things. If the average American drives 10,000 miles a year and gets 20 mpg then they use about 500 gallons of gas a year. Even a difference of a dollar a gallon equals only $500 a year. Does $500 a year really change your life?

Guru
08-16-2006, 02:20 AM
I am really baffled about all the bitching. Even a dollar a gallon difference is pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things. If the average American drives 10,000 miles a year and gets 20 mpg then they use about 500 gallons of gas a year. Even a difference of a dollar a gallon equals only $500 a year. Does $500 a year really change your life?

not bitching here. 2.89 is a hell of a lot cheaper than the other places I am seeing.

As far as $500 per year? Yeah it makes a difference. Make for a better Christmas for my kids if we have that money.

Bob Dole
08-16-2006, 07:03 AM

Exactly. Bob Dole's employer offered him a $500 raise this year and Bob Dole told them to keep it.

Baconeater
08-16-2006, 07:31 AM
Yes. That's $500 less to spend on beer & smokes.

patteeu
08-16-2006, 07:31 AM
Make for a better Christmas for my kids if we have that money.

:deevee:

Sounds like you are financing your driving habit on the backs of your kids. Why not cut back on something you use instead and save the poor kids Christmas?

chief52
08-16-2006, 08:02 AM

The "average" American drives much more like 20,000 or more miles IMO and he or she is only one member of the family. Multiply it out using 20,000 and 2 cars and you are already up to $2000 using your example...add a couple more drivers which is not out of line and I think you see where the example is going.

Baconeater
08-16-2006, 08:15 AM
The "average" American drives much more like 20,000 or more miles IMO and he or she is only one member of the family. Multiply it out using 20,000 and 2 cars and you are already up to $2000 using your example...add a couple more drivers which is not out of line and I think you see where the example is going.
Then the average American needs to get a job closer to home, or vice-versa.

ZepSinger
08-16-2006, 08:42 AM
I bought my Nissan pickup new in '94. It cost $18 to fill it then.

It cost $41 to fill it this morning. :cuss:

chiefs1okie
08-16-2006, 08:43 AM
2.74 here in Tulsa

boogblaster
08-16-2006, 08:50 AM
3.07 here in se kansas cost my friend 115.00 to fill his dodge yesterday....CHRIST...Boog Gone....

ChiefsfaninPA
08-16-2006, 09:15 AM
2.85 around here. Last week I was in Chicago and the prices were anywhere from 3.29 to 3.34.

StcChief
08-16-2006, 09:35 AM
2.83 Lake St.Louis

JohninGpt
08-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Hampton Roads 2.79, down from 2.85 last week.

BigRedChief
08-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Exactly. Bob Dole's employer offered him a $500 raise this year and Bob Dole told them to keep it.
WTF? You could buy extra ashtrays with that money. Then you could take an ashtray with you on trips and just leave it behind at the bar.

Bob Dole
08-16-2006, 11:25 AM
WTF? You could buy extra ashtrays with that money. Then you could take an ashtray with you on trips and just leave it behind at the bar.

Bob Dole was being sarcastic. Bob Dole would never turn down a raise, no matter how small.

Down to $2.67 here this morning.

KCTitus
08-16-2006, 11:42 AM
It's funny that we've been seeing the price drops even as BP's oil pipeline was shut down...typically, that type of 'shortage' causes the prices to spike, but gas went under 2.80 around here for the first time since May.

After Labor day, we should see further price slippage as the 'summer driving season' comes to a close.

KingPriest2
08-16-2006, 11:56 AM

First the average American prob drives 20k a year and the gas milage is prob around 17 1200 bucks a year on that one car.

But it just more then that. Utilities are higher, food is higher, shipping is higher.

It is just more then filling up your car

KingPriest2
08-16-2006, 12:00 PM
It's funny that we've been seeing the price drops even as BP's oil pipeline was shut down...typically, that type of 'shortage' causes the prices to spike, but gas went under 2.80 around here for the first time since May.

After Labor day, we should see further price slippage as the 'summer driving season' comes to a close.

They then came back and said they were keeping it open

KCTitus
08-16-2006, 12:07 PM
They then came back and said they were keeping it open

I dont believe that's the case...I did just read today that Investors are suing BP for the shutdown which was due to corrosion of the line and the government has ordered the repairs. Thank the Lord for the EPA...

KingPriest2
08-16-2006, 12:17 PM
I dont believe that's the case...I did just read today that Investors are suing BP for the shutdown which was due to corrosion of the line and the government has ordered the repairs. Thank the Lord for the EPA...

No I am just saying the pipeline is not shut down.

DeepSouth
08-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Not that I like paying $3 a gallon for gas, but I pointed out to my daughter the other day that she was paying $15 - $16 per gallon for coffe she buys at starbucks and about $8 a gallon for water when she buys bottles out of a vending machine.

It irks me that Exon is making the profits that they do but I wonder how much profit Coca Cola makes off it's bottled Dsani (spelling)? water?

KCTitus
08-16-2006, 12:42 PM
No I am just saying the pipeline is not shut down.

It's being shut down...gas prices and oil prices are affected by the futures market. That market acts/reacts to news ahead of time, meaning, that BP's announcement would affect the futures market causing an increase in the futures price, which then hits the pumps about 2-3 weeks later.

So yes, it takes some time to shut it down--it's probably still running today--they are in the process of shutting it off and it will be off until the line is fixed.

The issue is that the US has very large inventories of gas and oil and the price is dropping.

The point I was trying to make, albeit, subtly was that in the days of wildly hypersensitive oil futures market this should have spiked the prices and it hasnt had any impact. In fact, oil futures have been dropping steadily over the last few days, even today.

KCTitus
08-16-2006, 12:43 PM
It irks me that Exon is making the profits that they do but I wonder how much profit Coca Cola makes off it's bottled Dsani (spelling)? water?

Why should profits 'irk' you? Exxon is publicly traded, get in on the 'cash'...

Bob Dole
08-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Not that I like paying $3 a gallon for gas, but I pointed out to my daughter the other day that she was paying $15 - $16 per gallon for coffe she buys at starbucks and about $8 a gallon for water when she buys bottles out of a vending machine.

Bob Dole doesn't buy either one of those. You got any other examples?

DeepSouth
08-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Why should profits 'irk' you? Exxon is publicly traded, get in on the 'cash'...
Point taken. Capitalism is grand.

DeepSouth
08-16-2006, 12:49 PM
I could use beer but whatever it cost to brew beer is well worth whatever I have to spend for it.

Cochise
08-16-2006, 12:50 PM

That is less than $10 a week. I'm not going to kill myself bitching about that.

If people really couldn't afford it, they would be getting rid of their V8 grocery-getter. Don't see many people doing that.

Bob Dole
08-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Point taken. Capitalism is grand.

You forgot:

Unless it involves someone wanting to allow their customers to smoke in their place of business.

DeepSouth
08-16-2006, 12:52 PM
You forgot:

Unless it involves someone wanting to allow their customers to smoke in their place of business.
beer without cigarette spoke. what an unbelievable concept.

KCTitus
08-16-2006, 12:53 PM

DTV's Sunday Ticket...

el borracho
08-16-2006, 12:56 PM
not bitching here. 2.89 is a hell of a lot cheaper than the other places I am seeing.

As far as $500 per year? Yeah it makes a difference. Make for a better Christmas for my kids if we have that money.
Less than $10 a week is enough to cancel Christmas? I don't believe it. I refuse to believe your budget is so tight that you cannot save $10 a week and, really, if your budget is that tight you (and your kids) are truly screwed, anyway. How will you ever pay for maintenance or upkeep on your home or your vehicles or pay for your children's health care or college if you cannot find $10 a week?

el borracho
08-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Congrats on the twenty-five cents an hour raise, Bob. Keep up the good work!

Postal_clone
08-16-2006, 12:59 PM
2.82 in Dead Moines. Gonna fill both rides up today

el borracho
08-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Yes. That's $500 less to spend on beer & smokes.
:deevee: I doubt it. Most people will still find money for beer even in difficult times and all you smokers are too addicted to ever let $ get in the way of your habit. Cigarettes could be $15 a pack and smokers would still buy them.

DeepSouth
08-16-2006, 01:02 PM
:deevee: I doubt it. Most people will still find money for beer even in difficult times and all you smokers are too addicted to ever let $ get in the way of your habit. Cigarettes could be $15 a pack and smokers would still buy them.
I don't smoke but what's your point about beer.

el borracho
I don't think that is true. From the energy information administration:

The average American uses 500 gallons of gasoline every year. The average vehicle is driven more than 12,000 miles per year today. That number is expected to increase about 40 percent during the next 20 years if Americans don’t change their driving habits by using public transportation, carpooling, walking or bicycling. You can achieve 10 percent fuel savings by improving your driving habits and keeping your car properly maintained.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/kids/energyfacts/saving/efficiency/savingenergy.html

Bob Dole
DTV's Sunday Ticket...

That was the result of a cost-benefit analysis. You want a copy of the spreadsheet?

Here's an executive summary:

12 regular season games watched in local sports bar with Sunday Ticket plus transportation costs = 12x($36+$15) + (12*$1) = $624

Sunday ticket plus beer and food purchased during regular weekly shopping and consumed at home = $219 + (12*$12) + (12*$10) = $483

KCTitus
08-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Ive got a great example of some of the unrealistic hypersensitivity towards the gas prices...my neighbor.

Good people, but for some reason he went absolutely bat shit when the price got around 3 bucks during Katrina. First he started 'hoarding'...I say hoarding but it was just 5 3-gallon gas cans he would fill up if the price was supposed to go up.

Now, I should explain he drives a work van and the company buys his gas for the van and his wife worked out of their house. The only driving they really do is to go out to dinner 3-5 nights a week, but I digress.

So this spring, he'd decided he was going to 'screw' the oil companies and get a Diesel. Diesel in this neck of the woods is about 10 cents a gallon cheaper than unleaded regular gas.

So, he sold his older car that was paid off bought a brand new Jetta that, he claims, gets 60mpg on the highway. I dont really care if it does, but he's not really 'saving' any money.

Instead of paying the extra for the regular unleaded, now he's saving 10 cents a gallon diesel gas and getting eleventy billion mpg and writes a check for $500+ each month on his car payment.

The lengths some people will go to 'save' money on gas is just hilarious.

KCTitus
08-16-2006, 01:04 PM
That was the result of a cost-benefit analysis...

Cost benefit...those are the magic words right there.

Bob Dole
08-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Congrats on the twenty-five cents an hour raise, Bob. Keep up the good work!

Actually, we didn't get any raises this year and our health insurance premiums increased.

Bob Dole's good work resulted in a pay cut this year.

sedated
another problem is the indirect effect it has.

if gas is expensive, that drives up the price of every product that has to be shipped.

food prices go up, clothing, etc, etc, etc

DeepSouth
That was the result of a cost-benefit analysis. You want a copy of the spreadsheet?

Here's an executive summary:

12 regular season games watched in local sports bar with Sunday Ticket plus transportation costs = 12x($36+$15) + (12*$1) = $624

Sunday ticket plus beer and food purchased during regular weekly shopping and consumed at home = $219 + (12*$12) + (12*$10) = $483
But you don't get to see the drunk chicks take their tops off if you watch football at home.

Bob Dole
08-16-2006, 01:08 PM
But you don't get to see the drunk chicks take their tops off if you watch football at home.

That's silly.

It's easier and cheaper to tell one to BYOB on Sunday and get a private showing.

DeepSouth
08-16-2006, 01:08 PM

if gas is expensive, that drives up the price of every product that has to be shipped.

And beer. The local bar used to have $1 longnecks during happy hour. They now cost $1.50 due to higher distribution costs.

Talk about hitting me where it hurts.......

DeepSouth
08-16-2006, 01:10 PM
That's silly.

It's easier and cheaper to tell one to BYOB on Sunday and get a private showing.
You can actually get chicks to buy their own liquor????

el borracho
08-16-2006, 01:10 PM
First the average American prob drives 20k a year and the gas milage is prob around 17 1200 bucks a year on that one car.
Not true.
Average gas consumption is around 500 gallons a year:

and average fuel economy for passenger cars is over 20 miles per gallon according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics:
http://www.bts.gov/publications/transportation_indicators/december_2001/Environment/html/Average_Motor_Vehicle_Miles_Per_Gallon.html

KCTitus
08-16-2006, 01:11 PM

core PPI dropped according to the report yesterday, however that excludes food and energy prices.

InChiefsHell
08-16-2006, 01:16 PM
I hate paying even 2.85 a gallon, but I pay it. I'm not destitute. Hell, not even uncomfortable. Just pissed...

...it's not killing the economy. It's just pissing us off...

...now 5.00 a gallon, that would be problematic...

el borracho
08-16-2006, 01:16 PM
I don't smoke but what's your point about beer.
Point is that, regardless of all the bitching, people will still find money to buy the things they want (such as beer and cigarettes). Not many people in this country are truly suffering for an increase in gas prices.

KingPriest2
08-16-2006, 01:20 PM
Not true.
Average gas consumption is around 500 gallons a year:

and average fuel economy for passenger cars is over 20 miles per gallon according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics:
http://www.bts.gov/publications/transportation_indicators/december_2001/Environment/html/Average_Motor_Vehicle_Miles_Per_Gallon.html

That is passenger cars. YOu are not including the other two

KingPriest2
08-16-2006, 01:24 PM
It's being shut down...gas prices and oil prices are affected by the futures market. That market acts/reacts to news ahead of time, meaning, that BP's announcement would affect the futures market causing an increase in the futures price, which then hits the pumps about 2-3 weeks later.

So yes, it takes some time to shut it down--it's probably still running today--they are in the process of shutting it off and it will be off until the line is fixed.

The issue is that the US has very large inventories of gas and oil and the price is dropping.

The point I was trying to make, albeit, subtly was that in the days of wildly hypersensitive oil futures market this should have spiked the prices and it hasnt had any impact. In fact, oil futures have been dropping steadily over the last few days, even today.

It only takes a few days to shut down but here is a article saying they were going to shut it down but will not. They are going to keep it open

Oil prices fall after stockpiles data 1 hour, 25 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Oil prices slipped Wednesday after government data showed that stockpiles of crude last week were above average for this time of year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Light sweet crude for September delivery fell 75 cents to $72.40 a barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange in midday trading in New York.

October Brent at the ICE Futures exchange, which becomes the front-month contract beginning Thursday, lost 77 cents to $73.00 a barrel. The September contract dropped 80 cents to $73.00 a barrel.

The Energy Department reported Wednesday that the country's commercial crude oil inventories fell 1.6 million barrels in the week ending Aug. 11 from the previous week. However, inventories remain well above the average range for this time of year at 331 million barrels.

"The report was pretty much marginally in line with expectations overall," said Raymond Mazzeo, vice president at Energy Merchant LLC, who expected crude oil stocks to drop by 1.3 million barrels. "It remains a bearish market."

Gasoline inventories also fell by 2.3 million barrels last week, compared with a forecast of 1.8 million barrels, according to Mazzeo. But stocks remain at the lower end of the average range. Gasoline futures edged up by less than a penny to $1.9975 a gallon.

Distillate stocks, which include heating oil and diesel fuel, rose by 800,000 barrels to 133.2 million barrels. Analysts had anticipated an increase of 500,000 barrels.

Heating oil futures rose 0.25 cent to $2.0210 a gallon, while natural gas futures rose 11.9 cents to $6.980 per 1,000 cubic feet.

Oil prices have steadily fallen this week when supply fears abated after a cease-fire held in Lebanon and BP PLC resumed partial production in Alaska.

Despite a few early skirmishes, both Israel and Hezbollah forces avoided any escalation and Israeli forces began pulling out of southern Lebanon on Tuesday. Prices had hit a record high of $78.40 a barrel on July 14, two days after fighting erupted in Lebanon.

BP originally said it would have to completely shut down its Prudhoe Bay oil field in Alaska, the largest in the U.S., after discovering a pipeline leak, but later said it expects to maintain half of the production.
The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries also trimmed its oil demand growth outlook for this year as high prices hurt consumption in some of the world's wealthiest countries.

OPEC, which accounts for about 40 percent of the world's oil output, cut its 2006 demand forecast by 80,000 barrels a day from its previous monthly report. It now expects demand growth of 1.3 million barrels a day on average at 84.5 million barrels per day, the group said. That mirrors other recent reports predicting weaker demand growth this year.

The group is scheduled to meet on Sept. 11. Many analysts don't expect the group to formally cut production with oil prices still high amid concerns about supply shortfalls.

Concerns about supply disruptions in Nigeria due to civil unrest are lingering in the market, as are worries over the standoff between the United Nations and Iran over its nuclear program. Iran has said it will respond by Aug. 22 to an offer of incentives in exchange for a pledge to suspend uranium enrichment.

Oil traders are also watching weather patterns for potential hurricanes that could strike Gulf of Mexico coast refineries, as well as signals for where fuel demand is headed.

"We are still not out of the woods on a number of key issues during this particular timeframe, of which the (Atlantic) 'hurricane window' and the Iranian situation are on top of the heap," Edward Meir at Man Financial said in a note to clients.

KCTitus
08-16-2006, 01:27 PM
It only takes a few days to shut down but here is a article saying they were going to shut it down but will not. They are going to keep it open.

Hadnt read that, that is good news...I guess I figured that the original announcement would have caused a jump at the pump, but I never saw anything locally.

Cochise
08-16-2006, 01:35 PM
So, he sold his older car that was paid off bought a brand new Jetta that, he claims, gets 60mpg on the highway. I dont really care if it does, but he's not really 'saving' any money.

Instead of paying the extra for the regular unleaded, now he's saving 10 cents a gallon diesel gas and getting eleventy billion mpg and writes a check for $500+ each month on his car payment.

Spending $20,000 to save $15 a week. Awesome.

sedated
08-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Not many people in this country are truly suffering for an increase in gas prices.

bullshit.

el borracho
08-16-2006, 01:44 PM
That is passenger cars. YOu are not including the other two
Fine, go ahead and include vans, pickups and SUVs at 17.5 mpg. Combined with passenger cars (22 mpg) it still averages out to right around 20 mpg (my original assertion). I absolutely refuse to include semis, however, as I just don't think it's applicable to most people on this board.

Anyway, the other number, 500 gallons a year average consumption, is really the important one as that is the number which you use to calculate the $$$.

Seriously, gas prices would have to change dramatically to really affect most Americans' lives. One dollar a gallon just isn't that much.

JohninGpt
08-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Not many people in this country are truly suffering for an increase in gas prices.
Anytime the buying power of my paycheck decreases I consider it suffering. I still have to work just as hard for the same money because, unlike the oil companies, I can't raise my prices whenever I want.

Lzen
08-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Spending $20,000 to save $15 a week. Awesome.

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it. But perhaps they were planning to buy a new vehicle soon, anyways. And perhaps they were looking at the long term implications. I don't know about you, but I don't forsee gas prices going back under $2.50/gallon ever again.

Lzen
08-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Fine, go ahead and include vans, pickups and SUVs at 17.5 mpg. Combined with passenger cars (22 mpg) it still averages out to right around 20 mpg (my original assertion). I absolutely refuse to include semis, however, as I just don't think it's applicable to most people on this board.

Anyway, the other number, 500 gallons a year average consumption, is really the important one as that is the number which you use to calculate the $$$.

Seriously, gas prices would have to change dramatically to really affect most Americans' lives. One dollar a gallon just isn't that much.

Cochise
08-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it. But perhaps they were planning to buy a new vehicle soon, anyways. And perhaps they were looking at the long term implications. I don't know about you, but I don't forsee gas prices going back under $2.50/gallon ever again.

Sure, if you are planning on buying a new car right away then it's smart. But if you read the post I replied to, you would see that is clearly not the impression it creates.

KCTitus
08-16-2006, 01:57 PM

I know my neighbor very well, and trust me, there's no 'long term' planning involved. This was a strictly impulse purchase as a result of the gas prices. He said as much that it was the price of gas that influenced his decision. He hardly pays for gas as it is.

18 months ago he had bought an older Mercedes because it was his 'lifes dream' to own a Mercedes. Obviously, 'lifes dream' wasnt a long term investment either.

Lzen
08-16-2006, 01:59 PM
I know my neighbor very well, and trust me, there's no 'long term' planning involved. This was a strictly impulse purchase as a result of the gas prices. He said as much that it was the price of gas that influenced his decision. He hardly pays for gas as it is.

18 months ago he had bought an older Mercedes because it was his 'lifes dream' to own a Mercedes. Obviously, 'lifes dream' wasnt a long term investment either.

Ok, well then he's just a dumbass.
:shake:

el borracho
08-16-2006, 02:02 PM
I don't understand your response, Lzen. What are you trying to say?

Calcountry
08-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Funny you mentioned that.

I did the math on driving to Dallas and back to KC, and flying Southwest from KCI to Dallas and back.

It is cheaper to fly than to drive.

I fee that if it's cheaper to fly than to drive, then there is something seriously wrong with this country.It just means that kerosene is cheaper than gasoline.

Calcountry
08-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Not to mention the idiots who blow right by me at 10mph over the speed limit, only to have me catch back up to them at each stoplight.This move, really burns me, especially when they are driving a heavy pickup truck. I have had dudes accelerate past me only to throw the brake lights as soon as they clear my front end.

All the while I am just cruising up to the red light at a leisurely pace.

They need to make a book, "Driving for Dummies."

Calcountry
08-16-2006, 02:07 PM

...same ole crap, different day.No, He didn't play in the game.

Calcountry
08-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Exactly. Bob Dole's employer offered him a $500 raise this year and Bob Dole told them to keep it.I thought that the distinguished gentleman from Kansas only had to vote himself a raise.

Calcountry
08-16-2006, 02:11 PM

It irks me that Exon is making the profits that they do but I wonder how much profit Coca Cola makes off it's bottled Dsani (spelling)? water?KO, coca cola, makes a lot of money selling water.

Calcountry
08-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Why should profits 'irk' you? Exxon is publicly traded, get in on the 'cash'...Titus is buying, its time to sell XON everyone.

KingPriest2
08-16-2006, 02:13 PM
Hadnt read that, that is good news...I guess I figured that the original announcement would have caused a jump at the pump, but I never saw anything locally.

Yeah I agree with you . They announced and I was expecting it to spike and it went down a penny or two. It is now down 14 cents.

Bob Dole
08-16-2006, 02:13 PM
You can actually get chicks to buy their own liquor????

Yes.

It helps if you're not hung like a chigger.

Calcountry
08-16-2006, 02:17 PM
The lengths some people will go to 'save' money on gas is just hilarious.Ever hear of "Chevy fuel price protection"?

It reminded me of that Jerky Boys stint, where the guy goes," Balloons, yeah we got em, whatever yous want, we got it, You want Lobstah, we got lobstah. "

The point is, Chevy just said, you want cheap gas, we will give it too you if you buy our Car.

I am sure they just added about 1000 dollars to the sticker price to cover it.

Calcountry
08-16-2006, 02:20 PM
I hate paying even 2.85 a gallon, but I pay it. I'm not destitute. Hell, not even uncomfortable. Just pissed...

...it's not killing the economy. It's just pissing us off...

...now 5.00 a gallon, that would be problematic...That is what we all said the first time gas hit 2.00

Calcountry
08-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Anytime the buying power of my paycheck decreases I consider it suffering. I still have to work just as hard for the same money because, unlike the oil companies, I can't raise my prices whenever I want.Contrary to what you believe, neither can they.

If they could have, don't you think prices would've been this high 5 years ago?

KingPriest2
08-16-2006, 02:23 PM

WEll the 04 show 581 gallons for cars and 813 for trucks

Also have you seen the criteria for the testing?

Test Schedule Characteristics Driving Schedule Attributes Test Schedule
City Highway
Trip Type Low speeds in stop-and-go urban traffic Free-flow traffic at highway speeds
Simulated Distance 11 miles 10 miles
Time 31 minutes 12.5 minutes
Average Speed 20 mph 48 mph
Top Speed 56 mph 60 mph
Stops 23 None
Idling time 18% of time None
Engine Temp. at Startup* Cold Warm
Lab temperature 68-86 ºF
Vehicle air conditioning Off

Top speed on the Highway 60 mph? AC off? Not cold temp testing? not hot?

Cochise
08-16-2006, 02:26 PM
The point is, Chevy just said, you want cheap gas, we will give it too you if you buy our Car.

I am sure they just added about 1000 dollars to the sticker price to cover it.

It's just like the 'free extended warranty' or any other promotion. They say it to get you on the lot and take the money back on another part of the deal.

Calcountry
08-16-2006, 02:35 PM
It's just like the 'free extended warranty' or any other promotion. They say it to get you on the lot and take the money back on another part of the deal.Or rebates for that matter. I bet they have a slide rule in "that room" where they always shuffle off to discuss the deal.

Cochise
08-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Or rebates for that matter. I bet they have a slide rule in "that room" where they always shuffle off to discuss the deal.

How about the car you see in the paper for a great price (with the stock number below it in 2pt font). Then you show the salesman the ad and he salesman says "Oh, that car is sold already, but we can get you into this similar one for only $3000 more".

Calcountry
08-16-2006, 02:57 PM
How about the car you see in the paper for a great price (with the stock number below it in 2pt font). Then you show the salesman the ad and he salesman says "Oh, that car is sold already, but we can get you into this similar one for only $3000 more".That is when you say, "sure, can i take if for a test drive?" heheh ehehhehh:evil:

Then when you get back, park it right next to your existing car, get out, and get in, and get the heck off the lot.

KingPriest2
08-16-2006, 02:59 PM
April 28, 2006

Average Missouri Family May Spend $3,900 at the Gas Pump in ‘06
High Gasoline Prices Raise Fuel Bill by $700 Per Person, Cost Could Be Easily Offset With More Fuel Efficient Vehicles KANSAS CITY, Mo., April 28—Missouri drivers will consume more than three billion gallons of gasoline this year, costing the state's citizens almost $9 billion at $2.75 a gallon, according to an analysis by the Union of Concerned Scientists. The average household in Missouri will spend about $3,900 on at the pump in 2006. Meanwhile, with gas prices up 80 percent since 2004, every man, woman and child in the state will be stuck paying an additional $700 at the pump.
"Missouri drivers are getting hit hard every time they fill the tank," said Don MacKenzie, a vehicles engineer with the Union of Concerned Scientists. "Families can save some money by driving less, but for folks who need their vehicles for work, errands, and summer travel, automakers need to produce more vehicles that get a lot more miles per gallon."

Kansas drivers, meanwhile, will consume approximately 1.3 billion gallons of gasoline this year, costing the state's citizens $3.7 billion at current gas prices. The average household in Kansas will spend about $3,500 on gas at the pump in 2006, with every citizen spending an additional $670 at the pump because of higher oil prices.

Personal vehicles are the single largest consumer of oil in the United States, using about 10 percent of the total global oil supply. Since the 1970s, federal fuel economy requirements have been the most effective tool to reduce oil use by requiring that vehicles meet miles per gallon targets, but they have been stuck in neutral for the past 20 years. Yet, if automakers invested $700 worth of fuel-saving technologies per vehicle, the fuel economy of new vehicles in Kansas and Missouri could be increased to 27 mpg. The technologies would pay for themselves with reduced gasoline costs in just two years.

"The only way the automakers will build more fuel efficient vehicles is if the president and Congress require them to," said MacKenzie. "Consumers deserve a wide choice of pickups, SUVS, and cars that deliver the safety and performance they're used to, but do it with a lot less gas. Instead, the automakers give us a few good hybrids and a lot of gas guzzlers."

The Bush administration recently raised the fuel economy of light trucks less than 0.5 mpg per year-saving less than two weeks of gasoline each year in the next two decades. Consumers will feel no relief from such a miniscule change. However, if federal lawmakers increased fuel economy standards so that new cars and trucks would consume 40 percent less fuel in 10 years, more than 160,000 new jobs would be created nationwide, including 3,800 in Missouri and 1,000 in Kansas. Some of these jobs would be in the automotive sector, as a result of automakers investing money to build more advanced vehicles, as well as in other sectors of the economy due to increased consumer spending.

Press Contacts:

ERIC YOUNG
Press Secretary
202-331-5439
eyoung@ucsusa.org

EMILY ROBINSON
Press Secretary
202-331-5427
erobinson@ucsusa.org

AARON HUERTAS
Assistant Press Secretary
202-331-5458
ahuertas@ucsusa.org

RICH HAYES
Media Director
202-331-5437
rhayes@ucsusa.org

Donger
08-16-2006, 03:09 PM
FTR, bunny neither requested nor received my permission to create this thread.

Calcountry
08-16-2006, 04:57 PM
FTR, bunny neither requested nor received my permission to create this thread.Aww Donger, you know me and you are the only 2 Oil hawks here.

I was surprised that you hadn't chimed in sooner. Has your MIL been arround your place lately or something.

PastorMikH
08-16-2006, 05:16 PM
It has actually dropped from 2.99 down to 2.93 here since Monday. Since I filled the van today, it will probably drop another 15 cents tommorow.

Donger
08-16-2006, 05:18 PM
For all those noting how significant the price DROP has been, I'm sure that this is a example of how the price of gasoline is directly related to the price of crude.

Donger
08-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Aww Donger, you know me and you are the only 2 Oil hawks here.

I was surprised that you hadn't chimed in sooner. Has your MIL been arround your place lately or something.

ROFL

No, thankfully. Just been busy with work.

Halfcan
08-16-2006, 05:31 PM
GAS PRICES SUCK!!!!!! Okay, I feel better-great thread.

ChiefFan31
08-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Good idea to combine. I have already bitched in two threads, might as well make it three :)

I dont care that much. I fill up as needed and Never keep track of my gas mileage.

3.47/gl for crappy CA 91 Octane SuperU

whoman69
08-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Simplistic explaination. The price of gas killed the economy in the 70s. It effects not only how much it costs for you to get around but also the cost of the goods and services you consume to get around. Add to that the increased price for energy in your household, plus increased energy costs for the places you go to. Its an upward spiral.

Donger
08-16-2006, 08:51 PM
The price of gas killed the economy in the 70s.

Speaking of simplistic...

patteeu
08-16-2006, 08:56 PM
American consumers are gouging the oil companies. :shake:

luv
08-16-2006, 08:59 PM
The last I checked, gas had gone down here from $2.84 to $2.78.

Calcountry
08-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Simplistic explanation. The price of gas killed the economy in the 70s. It effects not only how much it costs for you to get around but also the cost of the goods and services you consume to get around. Add to that the increased price for energy in your household, plus increased energy costs for the places you go to. Its an upward spiral.Welcome to Linear Algebra. The good news is, that it is $2.97/gal for "lite sweet" unleaded across the street.

The word on the street is, an "unexpected rise in gasoline inventories".

This, boys and girls, means people ain't driving as much. Its a good sign for gas prices, but a bad sign for the hospitality and amenity industries.

InChiefsHell
08-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many people do you know who are actually changing their driving habits due to the price of gas. I'm really curious. Personally, I have not changed my driving habits, I just bitch about the price. Nobody I know has changed their driving habits, but most of us are low-middle income people. Have any of you changed your habits or had to cut back on anything just because of gas prices? Sincere question...

InChiefsHell
08-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Oh, and it's now 2.65 here. Never thought I'd actually be glad to see that price...

wutamess
08-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many people do you know who are actually changing their driving habits due to the price of gas. I'm really curious. Personally, I have not changed my driving habits, I just bitch about the price. Nobody I know has changed their driving habits, but most of us are low-middle income people. Have any of you changed your habits or had to cut back on anything just because of gas prices? Sincere question...

I've cut down on my trips.
Plan my errands/trips more precisely.
Joyrides with the fam are rare.

It's made a difference but not a really noticable one.
I blame the heat more than anything for my pattern.
Of course I get about 13 miles/gallon.

wutamess
08-24-2006, 04:27 PM
$2.72 here.

bkkcoh
08-24-2006, 05:03 PM
$2.56 +/- here in Columbus

Calcountry
08-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many people do you know who are actually changing their driving habits due to the price of gas. I'm really curious. Personally, I have not changed my driving habits, I just bitch about the price. Nobody I know has changed their driving habits, but most of us are low-middle income people. Have any of you changed your habits or had to cut back on anything just because of gas prices? Sincere question...I have, I postponed indefinitely a summer road trip.

Usually one per year.

That took at least 4 tanks of gas off of the spot market.

Baconeater
08-24-2006, 06:22 PM
I have, I postponed indefinitely a summer road trip.

Usually one per year.

That took at least 4 tanks of gas off of the spot market.
Same here.

I just try to drive as little as possible any more. I've also tried to changed my driving style, trying not to race around like I used too, that's made a noticeable difference on it's own.

Calcountry
08-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Same here.

I just try to drive as little as possible any more. I've also tried to changed my driving style, trying not to race around like I used too, that's made a noticeable difference on it's own.Pats on the backs, cause it is working. It is unheard of, for gas to be dipping at this time of year, right before Labor Day. Of course, God is helping with the hurricanes this year and that could change at any moment.

Calcountry
08-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Anytime the buying power of my paycheck decreases I consider it suffering. I still have to work just as hard for the same money because, unlike the oil companies, I can't raise my prices whenever I want.As of today, Gas prices are tumbling. 2.77/gallon across the street, heading into a major driving Holiday? Why?

I thought gas companies can just raise prices whenever they want?

jspchief
08-30-2006, 08:09 PM
$2.35 here in Des Moines

InChiefsHell
08-30-2006, 10:47 PM
As of today, Gas prices are tumbling. 2.77/gallon across the street, heading into a major driving Holiday? Why?

I thought gas companies can just raise prices whenever they want?

Well, it's an election year. The estimate now is that prices will go down to 2.00\gallon by Thanksgiving...

...it must be the evil Bush administration and their damnable oil cronies...
:rolleyes:

Guru
08-30-2006, 10:48 PM
2.47 in topeka

Baconeater
08-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Haven't seen it below $2.50 yet here. Dammit Carl! :cuss:

Rausch
08-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Lower the demand and you'll lower the price.

Unfortunatley, people aren't willing to do that. People today think that just bitching alone should be enough to change the price of a product.

I think that's the real problem...

Guru
08-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Lower the demand and you'll lower the price.

Unfortunatley, people aren't willing to do that. People today think that just bitching alone should be enough to change the price of a product.

I think that's the real problem...

Thats our new America. Miss the good ol' days.

Rausch
08-30-2006, 11:01 PM
Thats our new America. Miss the good ol' days.

And that's why gas is so high: if it hits $5 a gallon people will just bitch more and pay more...

Guru
08-30-2006, 11:03 PM
And that's why gas is so high: if it hits $5 a gallon people will just bitch more and pay more...

I have been finding ways to use less gas. Wish the rest of the country would.

Sam Hall
08-30-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm holding out hope that the prices will continue dropping.

beavis
08-30-2006, 11:51 PM
Saw $2.55 today in NKC. How pathetic is it that I got excited about that?

chefsos
08-30-2006, 11:55 PM
Got a price war going on in a nearby town. A new store opened with low gas prices as a promo, which lead to:
1) a competitor matching the price
2) the new store lowering it some more
3) a manager v. manager fistfight in the parking lot

You just can't buy this kind of entertainment.

Deberg_1990
08-31-2006, 12:20 AM

and they will keep driving the muscle cars, Suburbans and Escalades......Americans dont truly want to change. We just love to bitch.

Donger
08-31-2006, 12:37 AM
It'll drop to $2.20 - $2.30, not below.

greg63
08-31-2006, 12:43 AM
Gas costs too much!

...That is all.

Rausch
08-31-2006, 12:43 AM
I'm holding out hope that the prices will continue dropping.

That's like saying " I'm holding out hope that inflation keeps going down..."

greg63
08-31-2006, 12:44 AM
ROFL

luv
08-31-2006, 12:45 AM
Prices have dropped 21 cents since the last time I got gas. :)

Of course, by the time I need gas again, they'll be right back up where they were at the last time I got gas. :banghead:

Rausch
08-31-2006, 12:46 AM

How much are they up from 2 years ago?...

Donger
08-31-2006, 12:47 AM

Of course, by the time I need gas again, they'll be right back up where they were at the last time I got gas. :banghead:

No, they won't. At least not if there isn't a categorized hurricane that decides to visit the Gulf in the next few months.

luv
08-31-2006, 12:48 AM
How much are they up from 2 years ago?...
Sure, go ahead, ruin my moment.

luv
08-31-2006, 12:48 AM
No, they won't. At least not if there isn't a categorized hurricane that decides to visit the Gulf in the next few months.
Good.

greg63
08-31-2006, 12:49 AM

The only cheap gas now-a-days comes from a can of beans.

Rausch
08-31-2006, 12:51 AM

Refineries are overrated.

Gas falls from the sky like the preseason hopes of a KC fan.

Right?...

Donger
08-31-2006, 12:52 AM

Not that it matters, but to put it in perspective, my folks just got back from jolly old England. Gas over there? One pound a liter. That's about $7.00 a gallon.

Rausch
08-31-2006, 12:52 AM
The only cheap gas now-a-days comes from a case of beer.

Fixed it...

Rausch
08-31-2006, 12:53 AM
Not that it matters, but to put it in perspective, my folks just got back from jolly old England. Gas over there? One pound a liter. That's about $7.00 a gallon.

Live on an island and see how expensive $#it don't get...

Donger
08-31-2006, 12:53 AM
Refineries are overrated.

Gas falls from the sky like the preseason hopes of a KC fan.

Right?...

Pretty much. We've gotten lucky this season. It could have been, and still could be, a LOT worse.

Donger
08-31-2006, 12:56 AM
Live on an island and see how expensive $#it don't get...

Heh. Most of that is taxes. It's something like 78% in that rathole. Gotta pay for their 'free' healthcare somehow.

Frazod
08-31-2006, 12:56 AM
$2.35 here in Des Moines

God this pisses me off - we're still paying around $2.95 up here, at least. I understand that prices on everything are higher in Chicago than Des Moines, but 60 cents more a gallon for gas? We're just flat out getting raped.

Donger
08-31-2006, 12:57 AM
God this pisses me off - we're still paying around $2.95 up here, at least. I understand that prices on everything are higher in Chicago than Des Moines, but 60 cents more a gallon for gas? We're just flat out getting raped.

You're paying about $.20 more just on geography. The rest is, well, your state and local government at work.

Rausch
08-31-2006, 12:58 AM
Heh. Most of that is taxes. It's something like 78% in that rathole. Gotta pay for their 'free' healthcare somehow.

George Orwell would be pleased or sickened...

Guru
08-31-2006, 01:06 AM

What?! Beans ain't cheap.

macdawg
08-31-2006, 01:07 AM
i never drive far so i don't really really care what gas prices are.

what i don't get is peoples fasination with gas prices, although prices of homes are now going down again, real estate has been so inflated the last 5 years its not even funny, in la, vegas & florida the prices of homes have been so high its humourous, yet people complain about an extra .20 a gallon for gas.

greg63
08-31-2006, 01:08 AM
What?! Beans ain't cheap.

Depends on where ya get 'em. :D

luv
08-31-2006, 01:09 AM
Driving home from work tonight, and it was $2.52.

greg63
08-31-2006, 01:11 AM
Driving home from work tonight, and it was $2.52.

I didn't notice what it was here; I've learned not to look.

Guru
08-31-2006, 01:12 AM
Depends on where ya get 'em. :D

Don't you buy no cheap beans.

Donger
08-31-2006, 01:14 AM
i never drive far so i don't really really care what gas prices are.

what i don't get is peoples fasination with gas prices, although prices of homes are now going down again, real estate has been so inflated the last 5 years its not even funny, in la, vegas & florida the prices of homes have been so high its humourous, yet people complain about an extra .20 a gallon for gas.

BAN HIM!

greg63
08-31-2006, 01:15 AM
Don't you buy no cheap beans.

too late.

luv
08-31-2006, 01:27 AM
I figured it might go back up a little by this weekend, it being a holiday weekend and all.

greg63
08-31-2006, 01:31 AM
I figured it might go back up a little by this weekend, it being a holiday weekend and all.

I hate being gouged at the pump.

Guru
08-31-2006, 01:33 AM
I hate being gouged at the pump.
As opposed to being gouged elsewhere? :hmmm:

greg63
08-31-2006, 01:39 AM
As opposed to being gouged elsewhere? :hmmm:

Why yes.... :p

Jayhawkerman2001
08-31-2006, 02:57 AM
hey, can anybody tell me how to figure out how many miles per gallon i get with my car? I know i can do the run out of gas thing and have a perfect gallon in a tank and drive untill i run out again, or is there any easier way? i personally dont want to do the run out of gas thing

Moooo
08-31-2006, 03:04 AM
hey, can anybody tell me how to figure out how many miles per gallon i get with my car? I know i can do the run out of gas thing and have a perfect gallon in a tank and drive untill i run out again, or is there any easier way? i personally dont want to do the run out of gas thing

Does your car have a tripometer? Its the little odometer that you can reset. If you do, fill your car up, and reset it to zero. Then, when you're refilling your next time, take that number, and divide it by how many gallons you just put in your car. It's not exact, but it will get you within a mile per gallon or two of your real answer. When you do it a few times in a row, you can see it stays pretty constant.

If you don't have a tripometer, you can still do it, you'll just have to subtract the miles on your car when you filled up, from the current mileage.

Moooo

Bob Dole
09-07-2006, 02:38 AM
Regular fell to $2.39/gallon here this afternoon.

Bob Dole didn't honestly think he'd ever see that low a price again.

Guru
09-07-2006, 02:39 AM
We fell to 2.34 here.

luv
09-07-2006, 02:40 AM
We fell to 2.34 here.
Same here.

bkkcoh
09-07-2006, 07:24 AM
$2.25 +/- here in Columbus

Donger
09-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Regular fell to $2.39/gallon here this afternoon.

Bob Dole didn't honestly think he'd ever see that low a price again.

Bob Dole should listen to Donger on this subject. See 136.

Donger
09-07-2006, 08:53 AM
Amazing what the release of oil reserves has on the price of gas.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9141205/

That has almost nothing to do with the current price drop.

KingPriest2
09-07-2006, 11:51 AM
That has almost nothing to do with the current price drop.
I can't find the article but Tuesday's drop was part of it. OVerall no part yes.

Donger
09-07-2006, 12:16 PM
I can't find the article but Tuesday's drop was part of it. OVerall no part yes.

The article you linked to was from 2005. It's 2006.

InChiefsHell
09-07-2006, 12:26 PM
The article you linked to was from 2005. It's 2006.

ROFL ROFL Oh man, that's just funny. It even has stories on the page about how Hurricane Katrina might cause some serious problems with oil production...and a story about how they are using the Petroleum Reserve "in the wake of Katrina..." ROFL ROFL

Calcountry
09-07-2006, 06:32 PM
The lowest in my area is 2.72/gallon, and dropping.

Some say it could hit 2.00/ by Thanksgiving. Thank you, NFL network.

morphius
09-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Paid 2.31 in Des Moines on Monday

HemiEd
09-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Still 5.99 a gallon for 110 octane leaded racing fuel for the Barracuda. Paid 3.29 for mid-grade on my fill up last week. Hope it is down but have not checked.

BIG K
09-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Oh, about every 2 or 3 weeks we get a gas price bitching thread, might as well lump em all in here in this thread. Just bump it up any time you wish to reengage the gas price bitching.

$3.07/gallon across the street.

Finally!

I paid a mere $2.99 a gallon today! First time I have paid less than $3.00/$3.25/$3.65 in almost a year! Funny to think that I am actually excited to pay $2.99... :shake:

greg63
09-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Finally!

I paid a mere $2.99 a gallon today! First time I have paid less than $3.00/$3.25/$3.65 in almost a year! Funny to think that I am actually excited to pay $2.99... :shake:

Hey what's up "K"?

BIG K
09-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Hey what's up "K"?

I am good my friend. Just found out that I am not going to Iraq....... :p How are things your way? Haven't been on much, how is your site doing? I promise once I remember my password, I'll check in...

greg63
09-07-2006, 11:58 PM
I am good my friend. Just found out that I am not going to Iraq....... :p How are things your way? Haven't been on much, how is your site doing? I promise once I remember my password, I'll check in...

Things around here are great buddy; look forward to seeing ya around the sites! ;)

KCFansinSTL
09-08-2006, 12:01 AM
Just dropped here again in St. Charles, MO... $2.29

BIG K
09-08-2006, 12:04 AM
Just dropped here again in St. Charles, MO... $2.29

Please send Real Estate Guides...Thank You.

Pitt Gorilla
09-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Just dropped here again in St. Charles, MO... $2.29We're around there here in Iowa. Everyone should start driving as much as they can to reverse this horrible trend!!!one!

KCFansinSTL
09-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Please send Real Estate Guides...Thank You.

Sure thing!

htismaqe
09-08-2006, 07:51 AM
I filled both cars this weekend at Wal-Mart. With the gift card, it was $2.219 a gallon...

Braincase
09-08-2006, 07:57 AM
I filled both cars this weekend at Wal-Mart. With the gift card, it was $2.219 a gallon...

So... David GLASS is the guy screwing with the prices! Another reason for me to hate him!

Dartgod
09-08-2006, 07:58 AM
$2.17 a gallon in Belton this morning. If I spend $100 at Hy-vee, then I can get another $0.15 off per gallon at their pumps.

chief52
09-08-2006, 08:21 AM
"Down" to $3.19 in Eureka Ca... :banghead:

patteeu
09-08-2006, 09:53 AM
I'm going to sell my Yugo and buy something new. Should I go Expedition or Suburban?

KC-TBB
09-08-2006, 09:56 AM
I worry about those poor oil company CEO's, how will they eat on only $5BILLION profit this quarter?

InChiefsHell
09-08-2006, 09:58 AM
So, how much should the evil oil bastardos make? I mean, how much is OK and when does it become too much?

Chieftain58
09-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Big Oil companies want Republicans in office! Mid Term elections are right around the corner and historically the Oil companies drop prices right before an election to make the American people happy. Thus with everything hunky dory the American people vote for no change. It may be legal for them to do that but it seems like total b.s. to me....

Donger
09-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Big Oil companies want Republicans in office! Mid Term elections are right around the corner and historically the Oil companies drop prices right before an election to make the American people happy. Thus with everything hunky dory the American people vote for no change. It may be legal for them to do that but it seems like total b.s. to me....

You are aware that the oil companies do not set the price of crude oil, are you not?

htismaqe
09-08-2006, 10:17 AM

ROFL

jspchief
09-08-2006, 10:18 AM
You are aware that the oil companies do not set the price of crude oil, are you not?

OPEC wants Republicans in office! Mid Term elections are right around the corner and historically the OPEC drops prices right before an election to make the American people happy. Thus with everything hunky dory the American people vote for no change. It may be legal for them to do that but it seems like total b.s. to me....

Baconeater
09-08-2006, 01:26 PM
I'm going to sell my Yugo and buy something new. Should I go Expedition or Suburban?
Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,
smells like a steak and seats thirty-five..

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down,
It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown!

Canyonero! (Yah!) Canyonero!

12 yards long, 2 lanes wide,
65 tons of American Pride!

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Top of the line in utility sports,
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!

Canyonero! Canyonero! (Yah!)

She blinds everybody with her super high beams,
She's a squirrel crushing, deer smacking, driving machine!

Canyonero!-oh woah, Canyonero! (Yah!)

Drive Canyonero!

Woah Canyonero!

Woah!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b43/tcan/canyonero.jpg

carlos3652
09-08-2006, 02:25 PM

Yea, we should have elections more often, maybe that will make price drop :shake: :rolleyes: ROFL

Stinger
09-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Filled up both vehicles at $2.21 this am. PBJ

greg63
09-09-2006, 02:18 AM
Yea, we should have elections more often, maybe that will make price drop :shake: :rolleyes: ROFL

Yup! It is no coincidence.

luv
09-09-2006, 02:20 AM
Filled up both vehicles at $2.21 this am. PBJ
On my way home from work, the QT at Campbell and James River was $2.19. I forgot to check the two Kum-n-Gos and the Cody's that I go by as well.

chubychecker
09-09-2006, 02:20 AM

Thank you Donger, it amazes me how many people buy into the conspiracy theories.

Smed1065
09-09-2006, 02:26 AM
On my way home from work, the QT at Campbell and James River was $2.19. I forgot to check the two Kum-n-Gos and the Cody's that I go by as well.

It would be too easy for cross-thread humor at this point.

luv
09-09-2006, 03:19 AM
It would be too easy for cross-thread humor at this point.
:shake:

Guru
09-09-2006, 03:40 AM

I still can't beleive they named it that.

I first saw those in Iowa about 10 years ago and just shook my head. Then one popped up in my city a couple years ago. :shake:

Baconeater
09-09-2006, 08:42 AM
I still can't beleive they named it that.

I first saw those in Iowa about 10 years ago and just shook my head. Then one popped up in my city a couple years ago. :shake:
There used to be a gas station here called "Pump & Munch". Think about that one for a couple of minutes.

greg63
09-09-2006, 09:50 AM
There used to be a gas station here called "Pump & Munch". Think about that one for a couple of minutes.

Red Light district huh.

Bowser
09-09-2006, 09:51 AM

Did you fill up there on Steak and Blowjob night?

buhduhbum-tish

Hydrae
09-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Ok, I was feeling good about prices here in Austin until I came in here. How the hell can prices be that much less in Missouri than it is in Texas? That is ridiculous! It is pumped out of the ground down here. We have the refineries down here. We have the ports it comes in to. But I am excited (sad, sad day when this is exciting) about the price last night dropping to $2.49.9. Now I see that you guys who have to have it shipped from a lot farther away are paying $.30 a gallon less???

Calcountry
09-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Ok, I was feeling good about prices here in Austin until I came in here. How the hell can prices be that much less in Missouri than it is in Texas? That is ridiculous! It is pumped out of the ground down here. We have the refineries down here. We have the ports it comes in to. But I am excited (sad, sad day when this is exciting) about the price last night dropping to $2.49.9. Now I see that you guys who have to have it shipped from a lot farther away are paying $.30 a gallon less???

www.gasbuddy.com (http://www.gasbuddy.com)

Simplex3
09-09-2006, 11:47 AM
Have you checked the gas taxes in your part of the world? Dirty little secrect the govt. doesn't like to share, a BIG part of your gas prices are taxes.

Calcountry
09-09-2006, 11:58 AM
The most disappointed people about that big oil find last week are environmentalists. lol They like high gas prices.

alanm
09-09-2006, 12:04 PM
"Down" to $3.19 in Eureka Ca... :banghead:
Anyone that willingly chooses to live in Kalifornia with their 10 or how many it is mandated enviormentally friendly blends and prop 87 coming up deserves to be hosed at the pump. Bend over. ROFL

Calcountry
09-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Anyone that willingly chooses to live in Kalifornia with their 10 or how many it is mandated enviormentally friendly blends and prop 87 coming up deserves to be hosed at the pump. Bend over. ROFLI was born here, but believe me, I am looking for the exit.

alanm
09-09-2006, 12:48 PM
I was born here, but believe me, I am looking for the exit.
No I mean it I feel for you. Idaho, Wyoming, Utah or any state nearby has GOT to be better. Not to mention cheaper to live and waaaaaaaay less crowded.

Hydrae
09-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Have you checked the gas taxes in your part of the world? Dirty little secrect the govt. doesn't like to share, a BIG part of your gas prices are taxes.

*nods

Yeah, I know that is the main reason for the difference. I am just surprised given the financial problems Mo has had in recent years. Maybe that is part of the reason why? :hmmm:

patteeu
09-09-2006, 01:49 PM
*nods

Yeah, I know that is the main reason for the difference. I am just surprised given the financial problems Mo has had in recent years. Maybe that is part of the reason why? :hmmm:

Missouri has an income tax, unlike Texas. All things considered, from a tax point of view, I'd rather be where you are.

When I used to live in Austin, I noticed on my trips to Kansas City that gas prices tended to drop at every state line. OK was cheaper than TX, KS was cheaper than OK, and MO was cheaper than KS. I don't make the trip anymore so I don't know if things are still that way or not.

Calcountry
09-09-2006, 02:01 PM
No I mean it I feel for you. Idaho, Wyoming, Utah or any state nearby has GOT to be better. Not to mention cheaper to live and waaaaaaaay less crowded.Anybody know of a town with about 20 to 30 thousand people in it, that is in need of a good feed store?

UteChief
09-09-2006, 10:17 PM
I am still paying $2.91. While everyone else's price has seemed to drop. I don't understand it. Usually ours is cheaper because we have several refineries here.

Donger
10-08-2006, 07:27 PM
It'll drop to $2.20 - $2.30, not below.

We are right about that now. I think that we are about to see an increase over the next few weeks, probably starting in a week or so.

Just an FYI, folks.

Calcountry
10-19-2006, 06:40 PM
It'll drop to $2.20 - $2.30, not below.Donger is a freaking prophet. I think he works inside the Bush White house.

Mr. Donger, Just exactly WHAT did you know, and WHEN did you know it? :p

ChiefsfaninPA
10-19-2006, 06:42 PM
2.05 here.

Smed1065
10-19-2006, 07:02 PM
I am still paying $2.91. While everyone else's price has seemed to drop. I don't understand it. Usually ours is cheaper because we have several refineries here.

Sinners tax, priced per wife. IIRC

Skip Towne
10-19-2006, 07:15 PM
$1.94 here. Been that way for a month.

Donger
10-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Just paid $2.45 for 91 octane here.

Over-Head
10-19-2006, 08:37 PM
$1.03 a liter up here.
Thats about $4.12 a gallon

Donger
10-26-2006, 02:07 PM
U.S. petroleum supply data for the week ending October 20, released earlier today, showed total U.S. petroleum inventories falling by more than 11 million barrels, the largest decline since the week ending September 2, 2005, when stocks fell sharply following Hurricane Katrina.

ROFL

Calcountry
10-26-2006, 02:53 PM
U.S. petroleum supply data for the week ending October 20, released earlier today, showed total U.S. petroleum inventories falling by more than 11 million barrels, the largest decline since the week ending September 2, 2005, when stocks fell sharply following Hurricane Katrina.

ROFLI am not sure I get it?

Donger
10-26-2006, 02:55 PM
I am not sure I get it?

Your not sure you get what? That we just had significant inventory drop or because I'm laughing about it?

Calcountry
10-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Your not sure you get what? That we just had significant inventory drop or because I'm laughing about it?Get it, as in what was so funny about what you posted.

I am kind of slow when it comes to jokes, so I was hoping you can explain what was so funny about the words that you posted, that caused you to put the ROFL smiley in your post?

Donger
10-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Get it, as in what was so funny about what you posted.

I am kind of slow when it comes to jokes, so I was hoping you can explain what was so funny about the words that you posted, that caused you to put the ROFL smiley in your post?

Oh. I'm laughing because it's highly likely that crude will start heading up with this news.

And, we'll have the usual suspects coming back out blaming the oil companies for 'choosing' to buy oil from the market.

Bill Parcells
10-26-2006, 03:24 PM
$1.03 a liter up here.
Thats about $4.12 a gallon
Thats expensive..but remember..you do live on an island...so almost everything has to be imported ;)

Calcountry
10-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Oh. I'm laughing because it's highly likely that crude will start heading up with this news.

And, we'll have the usual suspects coming back out blaming the oil companies for 'choosing' to buy oil from the market.OIC. THank you. I immagined it was more like, "the election is over, so they can raise it back up." as a reason.

Bearcat
11-04-2006, 11:44 AM
American car buyers get a case of amnesia

When gas prices take a breather, consumers' common sense takes a hike.

By Alex Taylor III (atalyor@fortunemail.com), Fortune senior editor
November 2 2006: 12:11 PM EST

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- Who can remember all the way back to last summer, when we had daylight-saving-time, baseball and $3 a gallon gasoline prices?

Not American car buyers, apparently, and you can see the evidence in the results of October auto sales.

Sales of big pickup trucks and SUVs went through the roof - doubling from the year before in some cases. Sales of small, fuel-efficient cars, meanwhile, remained stagnant. It is as if all that moaning and groaning about price gouging by oil companies never happened.

Actually, it is worse than that. American consumers have reinforced all the stereotypes they are labeled with: short attention spans, lack of social consciousness and thinking with their wallets.

Does anyone seriously believe that having once spiked up to $3 with very little provocation, gasoline prices won't do it again? Have they forgotten about the ongoing instability in the Middle East? And have they stopped caring about traffic density, scarce resources or global warming? And if they haven't, why aren't they exercising better sense in their vehicle preferences?

Homegrowns

General Motors' (http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=GM) (Charts (http://money.cnn.com/quote/chart/chart.html?symb=GM)) customers get the ostrich award for sticking their heads in the sand. They drove up sales of hulking Chevy Tahoes and Suburbans, and Cadillac Escalades in October to double and triple the rates of a year ago. At the same time, they walked away from economical Chevy Aveos and Cobalts, sending sales of those vehicles down 31 percent and 43 percent respectively. "GM's truck business was boosted by lower fuel prices," sales and marketing boss Mark LaNeve explains. Apparently so.

One bright spot, sales of the fuel-gulping Hummer were about flat compared with a year ago. Perhaps consumers have tired of cartoonish macho design.

Over at Ford (http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=F) (Charts (http://money.cnn.com/quote/chart/chart.html?symb=F)) and Chrysler (http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=DCX) (Charts (http://money.cnn.com/quote/chart/chart.html?symb=DCX)), results were about the same. Sales of the new Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator both shot up more than 40 percent. Both are handsome vehicles greatly improved in their ride and handling from previous versions, but how many people really need all that metal to drive to the 7-Eleven?

Over at Chrysler, sales of Jeeps - known for their go-anywhere capabilities but not their fuel economy - shot up 29 percent, with the biggest and thirstiest, the Commander, shooting off dealer lots at the rate of more than 8,000 a month.

Import buyers demonstrated a little more common sense. They tend to be self-selected Blue Staters anyway, who are attracted to import brands because of their lighter weight and more fuel-efficient engines. The gap between them and domestic buyers is widening.

Imports

Toyota (http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=TM) (Charts (http://money.cnn.com/quote/chart/chart.html?symb=TM)) reported its best-ever October, with overall sales up 13.6 percent. Its hybrids suffered because lower gas prices make the premium price harder to justify. Prius, the hybrid flagship, saw its sales fall 8.6 percent, though to a still-healthy 8,733 for the month. Meanwhile, the RAV4, a crossover SUV that is downright stingy in fuel usage compared with a traditional truck-based SUV, sold 11,154 copies in October, nearly beating out the old-style Ford Explorer, once the leader in the field.

Honda (http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=HMC) (Charts (http://money.cnn.com/quote/chart/chart.html?symb=HMC)) did Toyota one better. It moved 20,413 CR-V crossover SUVs during the month, an increase of nearly 96 percent, handily outpacing Explorer. Honda likes to brag that it has the best overall fuel economy of any U.S. brand, and its customers responded. They bought 21,343 small Civics during October, including 2,288 Civic Hybrids.
These kinds of sales fluctuations drive product planners crazy. As they sketch out new models for the 2010 model year and beyond, do they add more big V-8s based on the latest sales data? Or do they assume that either gas prices will carom up again, or buyers will stop getting more vehicle than they need?

The sociologists have a simpler time of it. As Americans flock back to their old buying habits, it is all too easy to lump excessive fuel consumption in with other bad habits involving overindulgence: over eating, over spending and excessive television watching.

The supply of oil is not limitless but apparently the current generation of Americans is all too willing to exhaust it by buying bigger cars than they need and letting their children and grandchildren fend for themselves.

Calcountry
11-04-2006, 12:08 PM
American car buyers get a case of amnesia

When gas prices take a breather, consumers' common sense takes a hike.

By Alex Taylor III (atalyor@fortunemail.com), Fortune senior editor
November 2 2006: 12:11 PM EST

NEW YORK (Fortune) -- Who can remember all the way back to last summer, when we had daylight-saving-time, baseball and $3 a gallon gasoline prices?

Not American car buyers, apparently, and you can see the evidence in the results of October auto sales.

Sales of big pickup trucks and SUVs went through the roof - doubling from the year before in some cases. Sales of small, fuel-efficient cars, meanwhile, remained stagnant. It is as if all that moaning and groaning about price gouging by oil companies never happened.

Actually, it is worse than that. American consumers have reinforced all the stereotypes they are labeled with: short attention spans, lack of social consciousness and thinking with their wallets.

Does anyone seriously believe that having once spiked up to $3 with very little provocation, gasoline prices won't do it again? Have they forgotten about the ongoing instability in the Middle East? And have they stopped caring about traffic density, scarce resources or global warming? And if they haven't, why aren't they exercising better sense in their vehicle preferences?

Homegrowns

General Motors' (http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=GM) (Charts (http://money.cnn.com/quote/chart/chart.html?symb=GM)) customers get the ostrich award for sticking their heads in the sand. They drove up sales of hulking Chevy Tahoes and Suburbans, and Cadillac Escalades in October to double and triple the rates of a year ago. At the same time, they walked away from economical Chevy Aveos and Cobalts, sending sales of those vehicles down 31 percent and 43 percent respectively. "GM's truck business was boosted by lower fuel prices," sales and marketing boss Mark LaNeve explains. Apparently so.

One bright spot, sales of the fuel-gulping Hummer were about flat compared with a year ago. Perhaps consumers have tired of cartoonish macho design.

Over at Ford (http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=F) (Charts (http://money.cnn.com/quote/chart/chart.html?symb=F)) and Chrysler (http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=DCX) (Charts (http://money.cnn.com/quote/chart/chart.html?symb=DCX)), results were about the same. Sales of the new Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator both shot up more than 40 percent. Both are handsome vehicles greatly improved in their ride and handling from previous versions, but how many people really need all that metal to drive to the 7-Eleven?

Over at Chrysler, sales of Jeeps - known for their go-anywhere capabilities but not their fuel economy - shot up 29 percent, with the biggest and thirstiest, the Commander, shooting off dealer lots at the rate of more than 8,000 a month.

Import buyers demonstrated a little more common sense. They tend to be self-selected Blue Staters anyway, who are attracted to import brands because of their lighter weight and more fuel-efficient engines. The gap between them and domestic buyers is widening.

Imports

Toyota (http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=TM) (Charts (http://money.cnn.com/quote/chart/chart.html?symb=TM)) reported its best-ever October, with overall sales up 13.6 percent. Its hybrids suffered because lower gas prices make the premium price harder to justify. Prius, the hybrid flagship, saw its sales fall 8.6 percent, though to a still-healthy 8,733 for the month. Meanwhile, the RAV4, a crossover SUV that is downright stingy in fuel usage compared with a traditional truck-based SUV, sold 11,154 copies in October, nearly beating out the old-style Ford Explorer, once the leader in the field.

Honda (http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=HMC) (Charts (http://money.cnn.com/quote/chart/chart.html?symb=HMC)) did Toyota one better. It moved 20,413 CR-V crossover SUVs during the month, an increase of nearly 96 percent, handily outpacing Explorer. Honda likes to brag that it has the best overall fuel economy of any U.S. brand, and its customers responded. They bought 21,343 small Civics during October, including 2,288 Civic Hybrids.
These kinds of sales fluctuations drive product planners crazy. As they sketch out new models for the 2010 model year and beyond, do they add more big V-8s based on the latest sales data? Or do they assume that either gas prices will carom up again, or buyers will stop getting more vehicle than they need?

The sociologists have a simpler time of it. As Americans flock back to their old buying habits, it is all too easy to lump excessive fuel consumption in with other bad habits involving overindulgence: over eating, over spending and excessive television watching.

The supply of oil is not limitless but apparently the current generation of Americans is all too willing to exhaust it by buying bigger cars than they need and letting their children and grandchildren fend for themselves.Great article. I emphasise the Conserve in Conservative.

Calcountry
11-28-2008, 01:46 PM

And, we'll have the usual suspects coming back out blaming the oil companies for 'choosing' to buy oil from the market.QFT, them damn greedy oil companies and thier windfall profits. The wizard of oz is manipulating the prices. Bush dropped em so McCain would get elected.

Be thankful for the great prices folks, the one silver lining in the economy right now.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-28-2008, 01:50 PM
QFT, them damn greedy oil companies and thier windfall profits. The wizard of oz is manipulating the prices. Bush dropped em so McCain would get elected.

Be thankful for the great prices folks, the one silver lining in the economy right now.

And while you're being thankful don't start buying it up like you used too. Otherwise they will happily sodomize us again.

Baconeater
11-28-2008, 01:50 PM
It's so cheap right now I've been pumping a gallon on to the ground before I ever stick the nozzle into my car. Gotta do my part to drive up demand so Big Oil can get back to posting record profits again.

Calcountry
11-28-2008, 03:02 PM
And while you're being thankful don't start buying it up like you used too. Otherwise they will happily sodomize us again.Yep, was that you at the pump the other day bending those folks over?

Skip Towne
11-28-2008, 03:22 PM
It's so cheap right now I've been pumping a gallon on to the ground before I ever stick the nozzle into my car. Gotta do my part to drive up demand so Big Oil can get back to posting record profits again.

What a coincidence, I do that too.