PDA

View Full Version : Sproles out for season

noa
08-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Another victim of the preseason

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/states/california/northern_california/15280891.htm

Sproles goes on IR; Jackson in hospital
Associated Press

SAN DIEGO - Chargers kick returner Darren Sproles will be out for the season with a broken left leg and the team revealed Tuesday that wide receiver Vincent Jackson has been hospitalized since Saturday night with a bruised chest.

Coach Marty Schottenheimer wouldn't expand on Jackson's condition. Jackson was injured in Saturday night's exhibition win over the Green Bay Packers.

"He is still in the hospital but everything seems to be going smoothly and he should be out of the hospital no later than tomorrow," Schottenheimer said. "He has some type of compression injury to his chest, but they expect him to be back and not be any long-term consequence.

Sproles was placed on injured reserve on Tuesday, a day after having surgery on his fractured fibula.

"That's not good news, but that's the way it goes," general manager A.J. Smith said.

"The time frame was too much, three to four months. When you look at it, it just doesn't make sense right now to bring him back. He should have a full recover."

Smith said the Chargers would try to replace Sproles from within first before seeking outside help.

Jackson, who caught three passes for 59 yards as a rookie last year, is being penciled in as the No. 3 receiver behind Keenan McCardell and Eric Parker. Neither McCardell (hamstring) nor Parker (thumb) practiced Tuesday, leaving the Chargers thin at wideout.

The Chargers also waived defensive back Raymond Walls.

SCTrojan
08-15-2006, 07:31 PM
That's really too bad. I've always thought Sproles was a good dude. He could have made a splash this year and I would have rooted for him for 14 games this year.

BigRock
08-15-2006, 07:37 PM
That's really too bad. I've always thought Sproles was a good dude. He could have made a splash this year and I would have rooted for him for 14 games this year.
Agreed. I kept thinking last year that he'd probably bust out a few kick returns for TDs against us, but it sucks for him to lose the whole season. And I really hope this doesn't hurt his career at all. The big knock on him was that he was too small and couldn't handle the rigors of the NFL. Marty seemed to like him, but who knows if Marty will even be there next year.

Mr. Laz
08-15-2006, 07:43 PM
tired of hearing people whine about the preseason.

injuries can happen any game, any time

Bob Dole
08-15-2006, 07:45 PM
So Sproles could be back before the end of the season but they put him on IR anyway?

Gee... Didn't Marty always preach about a starter not losing his spot because of injury? Didn't he pretty much **** us out of a possible playoff win with that idiotic policy?

4th and Long
08-15-2006, 07:46 PM
So Sproles could be back before the end of the season but they put him on IR anyway?

Gee... Didn't Marty always preach about a starter not losing his spot because of injury? Didn't he pretty much **** us out of a possible playoff win with that idiotic policy?
Bob Dole has a damn good memory.

Rain Man
08-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Marty was probably relieved to learn that it was only a skill position player and not a lineman.

jspchief
08-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Chad Greenway blew an ACL last night covering kicks for Minnesota too.

noa
08-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Chad Greenway blew an ACL last night covering kicks for Minnesota too.

I hadn't read that and I thought you were fibbing, but I just read the story. Out for the season. Terrible luck for Greenway and for the Vikes.

Iowanian
08-15-2006, 08:43 PM
I knew greenway got hurt, but was hoping it wasn't that bad. Thats too bad for him, as I think he'd be a good nfl lb.

jspchief
08-15-2006, 08:45 PM
I knew greenway got hurt, but was hoping it wasn't that bad. Thats too bad for him, as I think he'd be a good nfl lb.From what I heard, EJ Henderson was finally starting to get it and was having a really good camp, so Greenway probably wasn't going to break into the starter spot anyway.

Sucks to go down that way. He was a rock at Iowa.

Coach
08-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Bummer to hear about Sproles and Greenway.

Refresh my memory, he was drafted this past April, right?

noa
08-15-2006, 09:32 PM
From what I heard, EJ Henderson was finally starting to get it and was having a really good camp, so Greenway probably wasn't going to break into the starter spot anyway.

Sucks to go down that way. He was a rock at Iowa.

I read that if Greenway broke into the starting lineup, they would move Henderson and play the both of them together. I guess its a moot point now, but the Vikes seem like they could have had a decent group of LBs lined up.