PDA

View Full Version : FT: WSJ Portis vs. Preseason

StcChief
08-16-2006, 07:07 AM
Some valid points about PS games.
I still think Two is plenty.

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB115565670237236198-mCszLNnuNi8wbDmZV1StjJ9oXys_20070814.html?mod=rss_free

wutamess
08-16-2006, 07:43 AM
You need to be gutted...

Four minutes into a meaningless exhibition game Sunday, Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis partially dislocated his left shoulder while making a tackle following an interception. Mr. Portis will miss the rest of the preseason. But he wouldn't miss the preseason if it went away forever. "Let's get rid of some of these preseason games," he said after the injury.

D.C. columnists agree. Washington Post columnist Michael Wilbon says the games have outlived their utility: "For decades, even through the 70's, when most pro football players made little more than teachers and truck drivers, two-a-day practices and preseason games -- it used to be six instead of four -- were necessary. Players sold cars in the offseason, insurance, did whatever. Sonny Jurgensen was such a great basketball player did some barnstorming after the NFL season ended. You know what players do now in the offseason? They get ready for the season."

But neither Mr. Wilbon nor Washington Times columnist Thom Loverro has much hope that the preseason will be abolished, because of the revenue potential. "Season-ticket holders are forced to buy tickets for preseason games as well as regular-season contests if they want to keep their seats," Mr. Loverro writes. "This is sort of like paying full price for a couple of sparring sessions in order to get a seat at a championship fight."

In the St. Petersburg Times, John Romano points out that on each team, about 50 players relish the preseason as an opportunity to play their way onto the roster. "Sure, preseason games are largely meaningless," Mr. Romano writes. "Unless your livelihood depends on them."

The preseason also affords an opportunity for the new Monday Night Football broadcast team to work out its kinks. Washington Post columnist Tony Kornheiser was effective at diminishing expectations -- "I didn't just sweat through my shirt, I sweated through my suit and that was just a rehearsal," he wrote in the Post on Monday -- and the reviews were mostly positive. "He didn't sound scripted, and never appeared so eager to get his air time that he trampled on Joe Theismann's," Richard Sandomir writes in the New York Times. USA Today columnist Michael Hiestand says that Mr. Kornheiser "wasn't funny," but he also "wasn't annoying."

(Fix flashback: The debut of the John Madden-Al Michaels Monday Night Football team in the 2002 preseason was deemed a hit -- or at least Dennis Miller wasn't missed.)

jiveturkey
08-16-2006, 07:58 AM
Even if there were two he would have still been hurt in the preseason and instead of missing more preseason games he would have missed games that count.

wutamess
08-16-2006, 08:02 AM
Even if there were two he would have still been hurt in the preseason and instead of missing more preseason games he would have missed games that count.

I agree but if he only needs 2... let the bubble players play the first 2 and let the starters get their mojo going the next 2 increasing playing time from game 3 to game 4.

game 3... play to second half.
Game for play toend of 3rd or couple series in the third.

Kinda makes sense.

MOhillbilly
08-16-2006, 08:04 AM
he needs to shut his ****ing mouth and play.
Portis is a tough guy,but someone needs to reming him that its football. And football is a collision sport.

pre season/practice/regular season shut your face and play.

StcChief
08-16-2006, 08:21 AM
I agree but if he only needs 2... let the bubble players play the first 2 and let the starters get their mojo going the next 2 increasing playing time from game 3 to game 4.

game 3... play to second half.
Game for play toend of 3rd or couple series in the third.

Kinda makes sense.

Portis should shut up. Hurt like that in PS game is bad. showed hustle
to catch the guy. too bad it happened....could happen anytime
See: Lacharles Benchley first practice....

Are you a Season ticket holder?
Ask across NFL. Most season ticket holders want either reduced or free PS game.
Or couple more regular season games.

The conditioning
that goes on year round OTA, etc. this is really a year round sport as a player.

Coaches spend alot of off season getting ready to draft and plan for next season.

Frazod
08-16-2006, 08:29 AM
I hate Portis. Whatever injury he suffers, it'll never be severe enough for me. :#

sedated
08-16-2006, 08:53 AM
kinda hard to lift that championship belt when you can't lift your arm.

how's it feel, b!tch?