PDA

View Full Version : Roaf was just on Cold Pizza ........

ROYC75
08-16-2006, 09:32 AM
I'm retired, the door is closed. The body just doesn't want to respond. It isn't about missing TC.

mac58
08-16-2006, 09:34 AM
damn I think we need to let it go. . .hes retiring... Elvis is dead. . .and Tupac is in Cuba

DaFace
Well, crap.

JBucc
Willie who?

Fried Meat Ball!
08-16-2006, 09:36 AM
:deevee:

morphius
08-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Well, that is a shame. I have to say I wasn't excited about signing the TE wannabe Turley, but getting him right now may be the signing of the off-season.

Rain Man
08-16-2006, 09:39 AM
But he hasn't officially signed the papers yet, right?

mac58
08-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Well, that is a shame. I have to say I wasn't excited about signing the TE wannabe Turley, but getting him right now may be the signing of the off-season.

I agree

ROYC75
08-16-2006, 09:40 AM
Big Willie:I'm not like that to miss training camp. Too many important things happened. I would say the door is closed.

Announcer :So it's medical ?

Roaf : Yes. Oh yeah. It's medical.

Announcer : So, Willie, you are done right.

Roaf :I can never say never but for this year I am done. It's not fair to my teammates and my FANS!!!!

He does leave the door cracked for next year.
Folks, he will not run the field anymore........ He has pushed the body too long.

tomahawk kid
08-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Boy, am I pissed.

I don't know whether its at Willie or the situation itself, but I'm fuming.

I certainly won't badmouth Willie, but this whole deal blows all a$$ known to man.

htismaqe
08-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Been saying it for weeks. Time to let it go. He just can't do it anymore.

DMAC
08-16-2006, 09:50 AM
Been saying it for weeks. Time to let it go. He just can't do it anymore.Yep, I have already moved on. I think the rest of us should as well...

Baby Lee
Well, at least we got to see our quality backup QB for when Green is helicoptered into the turf somewhere in the first 4-5 games.

tyton75
crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap!

Baby Lee
08-16-2006, 09:52 AM
Yep, I have already moved on. I think the rest of us should as well...
No sh!t, only 7 months until the NCAA tournament. :banghead: :banghead:

htismaqe
Well, at least we got to see our quality backup QB for when Green is helicoptered into the turf somewhere in the first 4-5 games.

If Green can survive 5 weeks of Jordan Black, we'll be just fine with Turley...

tomahawk kid

You're probably right, but he didn't know this in March? I have a hard time believing that he felt fine beforehand or was expecting some sort of miracle recovery in his knees before OTA's.

Was it really the hammy that set this whole thing off? Something just doesn't add up here.

I just wish he could have given the team more notice so they could have done more in FA or the draft to compensate.

BigChiefFan
Boy, am I pissed.

I don't know whether its at Willie or the situation itself, but I'm fuming.

I certainly won't badmouth Willie, but this whole deal blows all a$$ known to man.
He's been saying it all along, some just live in denial. There is absolutely no reason to be upset with Roaf-he gave his all and is entitled be healthy.

stevieray
08-16-2006, 09:53 AM

Yup. I have no doubt about his desire to play.

In the long run, we were very fortunate to have him play in KC, and while every olineman is important, filling his shoes was a big priority.

Carl is looking pretty damn good right about now, between this and the Bennett signing, he came through replacing PB players.

Well, other than the drafting of WRs and DTs

Baby Lee
08-16-2006, 09:54 AM
He's been saying it all along, some just live in denial. There is absolutely no reason to be upset with Roaf-he gave his all and is entitled be healthy.
If by 'all along' you mean 'for the last two weeks, in stark contrast to statements at the end of the 05 season and during OTAs.'

DaFace
Eh, I doubt more than a few were in denial. I've been watching Turley as if he were our starting LT for a while now. That doesn't mean, though, that I didn't hold out a glimmer of hope that Willie would change his mind.

ChiefButthurt
Maybe they can use him as JUST a center, they just hike the ball.....right? :rolleyes:

htismaqe
You're probably right, but he didn't know this in March? I have a hard time believing that he felt fine beforehand or was expecting some sort of miracle recovery in his knees before OTA's.

Was it really the hammy that set this whole thing off? Something just doesn't add up here.

I just wish he could have given the team more notice so they could have done more in FA or the draft to compensate.

He said he made the decision because of OTA's. It took him until July to recover from May workouts.

I don't really see how he could have made the decision sooner, he has to wait and see how long he took to heal...

BigChiefFan
08-16-2006, 09:56 AM
If by 'all along' you mean 'for the last two weeks, in stark contrast to statements at the end of the 05 season and during OTAs.'Yea, all along is a little vague, but I would say most at CP would know that Roaf said SEVERAL WEEKS AGO that we he was retiring. SEVERAL WEEKS AGO= all along

tomahawk kid
08-16-2006, 09:57 AM

I don't disagree about the man being entitled to his heath and I certainly didn't have any real delusions of Roaf returning.

I just want to know why I didn't hear anything about Roaf's health concerns prior to OTA's.

If he DID mention something and the organization ignored it or thought things would get better - than that's on them.

tomahawk kid
08-16-2006, 09:58 AM
He said he made the decision because of OTA's. It took him until July to recover from May workouts.

I don't really see how he could have made the decision sooner, he has to wait and see how long he took to heal...

Maybe, assuming that he did ZERO in the way of workouts from January to OTA's.

You'd think if he was conditioning etc., an issue would have presented itself sooner.

Just my $0.02....

JBucc
08-16-2006, 09:58 AM
I don't even care anymore, I'm in love with Turley. The way the guy plays is awesome. We should put him on the D-Line sometimes and just let him kill someone.

Cochise
08-16-2006, 09:59 AM
D00D HELL BE IN UNIFORM ON OPENING DAY BANK ONZ ITZ!!!!!

ChiefFan31
08-16-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm not real suprised at this.

Like I have stated in other posts. I had a small glimmer of hope, but time since his announcement and the surprisingly small amount of time for Turley to step back in has eased my worries to a large degree.

At least now we know and the speculation machine can stop. I heard that Herm was going to talk to him this week. I wonder what day that will be. I would imagine it will become more official once we hear it from Herm.

milkman
08-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Maybe, assuming that he did ZERO in the way of workouts from January to OTA's.

You'd think if he was conditioning etc., an issue would have presented itself sooner.

Just my $0.02....

Have you ever paid any attention?

The guy has had leg, knee, hamstring issues for seasons.

It was bound to catch up to him sooner or later.

He's been playing on borrowed time for years.

BigChiefFan
08-16-2006, 10:05 AM
I don't disagree about the man being entitled to his heath and I certainly didn't have any real delusions of Roaf returning.

I just want to know why I didn't hear anything about Roaf's health concerns prior to OTA's.

If he DID mention something and the organization ignored it or thought things would get better - than that's on them.

It was well documented that Roaf has had some hamstring issues that past couple of years. He even missed some games last year. I'm not sure what you are referring to about not knowing abour Roaf's health.

Also, Roaf did try in OTAs this year, but realized his body just can't take it anymore...On JULY 28, 2006, Roaf told the Kansas City Star that he was retiring from football. General manager Carl Peterson said he was holding out hope that Roaf would reverse his decision, but Roaf said he was "solid" on retirement.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-16-2006, 10:05 AM
D00D HELL BE IN UNIFORM ON OPENING DAY BANK ONZ ITZ!!!!! COCHISE OUTT!
I fixed your post.

StcChief
08-16-2006, 10:10 AM
I've been over it....

Hoped he would change his mind but. Looks like this year is a NO GO.

ROYC75
08-16-2006, 10:11 AM

This is it folks in a nutshell......

During the OTA's he tweaked it again, it didn't respond very quick and he is concerned about his health.

tomahawk kid
08-16-2006, 10:14 AM
It was well documented that Roaf has had some hamstring issues that past couple of years. He even missed some games last year. I'm not sure what you are referring to about not knowing abour Roaf's health.

Also, Roaf did try in OTAs this year, but realized his body just can't take it anymore...On JULY 28, 2006, Roaf told the Kansas City Star that he was retiring from football. General manager Carl Peterson said he was holding out hope that Roaf would reverse his decision, but Roaf said he was "solid" on retirement.

Right, but it doesn't seem like anything was said from Jan - April, other than Willie was looking forward to playing for Herm.

Now, it Roaf mentioned to CP or Herm something to the effect of "Hey, this hammy isn't healing" or "My lower body is shot" - and the Chiefs chose to ignore it - that's on them.

The seemingly non-existant health issues for 4 month of the offseason are what's troubling me......

tomahawk kid
08-16-2006, 10:15 AM
Have you ever paid any attention?

He's been playing on borrowed time for years.

I have, thanks.

Like I said, I'm probably more p!ssed at the situation than anything.

Baby Lee
08-16-2006, 10:22 AM

Can't cite this enough

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2430533

May 2, 2006, 5:30 pm. - Chiefs' Roaf has put aside all thoughts of retirement

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Willie Roaf's mammoth body just turned 36 and he's feeling spry as a cat.

No more sore hamstrings. No more aching knees. And, most importantly to Kansas City fans with dreams of a Super Bowl - or at least their first playoff win in 13 years - no more thoughts of retirement.

If Larry Johnson is going to rush for 2,000 yards and the Chiefs' aging offense is going to make one last run at a championship, then the Pro Bowl left tackle does not want to be left out.

He's even working about as hard as he ever did in postseason conditioning drills. Stopping for an interview on Tuesday after a vigorous workout, his massive upper torso was drenched with sweat.

"I feel good," he said. I'm working with the young guys. I'm still strong. I just have to make sure I keep running and take care of my conditioning."

He's also impressed with first-year head coach Herm Edwards. It was a conversation with his new boss that helped persuade Roaf - who turned 36 on April 16 - to come back for what is going to be his 14th season of trading body blows with very large, very aggressive men who every year seem to get younger and younger.

"I had a meeting with coach Edwards. He's a great coach," Roaf said. "He's been around, played in the league a long time. It made sense to come back next year and give it another chance. Talking to him, I just thought we had some unfinished business. We needed to get back and see what we could do."

With 12 Pro Bowl selections, the 320-pound Roaf can lay claim to being one of the best tackles in the game. Just as teammate Will Shields, also with 12 Pro Bowl selections, is considered one of the best guards.

At one time last year, it appeared both might be ending their careers. Roaf missed six games with various injuries, principally a pulled hamstring, and Shields battled arthritis in his lower back.

But first Shields and now Roaf have decided to take one more lap, one more shot at the Super Bowl appearance that has always eluded them.

"I thought about (retiring). I talked to Will and some of the guys," Roaf said. "Then last year we finished so strong at the end of the year. It was great seeing Will come back. That helped, too."

A 37-3 rout of playoff-bound Cincinnati in the regular season finale left the Chiefs with five wins in their last seven games and a 10-6 record. They were the only 10-win team not to make the postseason.

"We were laughing and having a good time when we played Cincinnati," Roaf said. "At the end of the year, guys were feeling good. We were having a lot of fun. I was feeling good"

Along with tight end Tony Gonzalez and left guard Brian Waters, Kansas City put four members of its offensive line in the Pro Bowl and paved the way for Johnson to become a star in his first season as a starter. Stepping in for an injured Priest Holmes the last nine games, Johnson rushed for over 100 yards each time, ending up with 1,750 yards and a Pro Bowl invitation.

Now, there will be an increased emphasis on the running game with new offensive coordinator Mike Solari. Johnson is guaranteed to be the starter from the opening kickoff of the season, whether Holmes decides to return or not. Many fans are speculating on the possibility of a 2,000-yard season for the fourth-year Penn State product.

"It would be great for me to be a part of Larry Johnson rushing for 2,000 yards, at this time in my career," Roaf said. "That's something I never imagined being a part of, and that would be exciting."

BigChiefFan
08-16-2006, 10:22 AM
Right, but it doesn't seem like anything was said from Jan - April, other than Willie was looking forward to playing for Herm.

Now, it Roaf mentioned to CP or Herm something to the effect of "Hey, this hammy isn't healing" or "My lower body is shot" - and the Chiefs chose to ignore it - that's on them.

The seemingly non-existant health issues for 4 month of the offseason are what's troubling me......

Why do you assume his health issues were/are non-existant? Again, it's been well-documented about Willie's hamstring and knee problems. I'm sure in the off-season those health issues felt better, but that doesn't mean they were non-existant, just undisclosed to the PUBLIC. I'm sure he had every intention to play this season, but he was slow to heal from the OTAs so he put two and two together and decided it was best for him and the team that he hang it up. The injuries have taken their toll.

Also, we signed Turley in JUNE-I would say that's a pretty good indicator, Roaf had discussed this with the FO at least a couple of months ago.

ct
08-16-2006, 10:23 AM
No sh!t, only 7 months until the NCAA tournament. :banghead: :banghead:

But then what do the KU fans look forward to?

BigChiefFan
08-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Can't cite this enough

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2430533
June is AFTER May. Again, he had every intention to play and his body said no.

Inspector
08-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Wow, the '06 season was the fastest one ever.*

*ok, just kidding

Thanks Willie for the excellent work you did. If it weren't for you, we probably wouldn't still have Trent since he would be dead by now.

C'mon Turley. Take care of our QB!

Baby Lee
08-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Why do you assume his health issues were/are non-existant? Again, it's been well-documented about Willie's hamstring and knee problems. I'm sure in the off-season those health issues felt better, but that doesn't mean they were non-existant, just undisclosed to the PUBLIC.
05/02/06 - No more sore hamstrings. No more aching knees. And, most importantly to Kansas City fans with dreams of a Super Bowl - or at least their first playoff win in 13 years - no more thoughts of retirement.

tomahawk kid
08-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Why do you assume his health issues were/are non-existant? Again, it's been well-documented about Willie's hamstring and knee problems. I'm sure in the off-season those health issues felt better, but that doesn't mean they were non-existant, just undisclosed to the PUBLIC. I'm sure he had every intention to play this season, but he was slow to heal from the OTAs so he put two and two together and decided it was best for him and the team that he hang it up. The injuries have taken their toll.

Also, we signed Turley in JUNE-I would say that's a pretty good indicator, Roaf had discussed this with the FO at least a couple of months ago.

Guess I should have said "non-existant", probably more like "not publicized as a HUGE issue...."

BigChiefFan
08-16-2006, 10:27 AM
05/02/06 - No more sore hamstrings. No more aching knees. And, most importantly to Kansas City fans with dreams of a Super Bowl - or at least their first playoff win in 13 years - no more thoughts of retirement.
See post #40.

htismaqe
08-16-2006, 10:28 AM

Nothing was said between January and April because he was intending to play.

He participated in April/May offseason workouts and it HURT. So he went home to take it easy and see how things went. By the middle of July, he was STILL HURTING. So he retired.

Now do you see how the timeline fits?

htismaqe
08-16-2006, 10:30 AM

The last OTA's prior to camp were at the end of May, which is AFTER 5/2.

tomahawk kid
08-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Nothing was said between January and April because he was intending to play.

He participated in April/May offseason workouts and it HURT. So he went home to take it easy and see how things went. By the middle of July, he was STILL HURTING. So he retired.

Now do you see how the timeline fits?

I've always understood that part - I guess that just means that he did absolutely nothing in the way of conditioning from 1/06 - 4/06.

If he had, I would guess that he would have had issues before OTA's.

Dartgod
08-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Because Carl had to sell season tickets, man!

You like signing Kyle Turley a month and a half before Roaf announced his retirement?

I know the Turley signing didn't look like much at the time, but early indications are that it was a very good signing.

Baby Lee
08-16-2006, 10:36 AM
See post #40.
Reread your question to which I was responding.

hypersensitiveZO6
08-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Without reading the other posts, I admit I had a small amount of hope because Carl and Herm acted like they had some hope.

The acquisition of Turley seems to get better and better.

I have my full respect for Willie and what he has done for the Kansas City Chiefs. This was his decision, and I fully support it. If Willlie says he can't play, then he can't play. Simple as that. I don't want him on the field if he's at risk of really hurting himself, or is in pain. He's a HOFer and I wish him a happy goodbye.

Have a good one, Willie. :toast:

Baby Lee
08-16-2006, 10:41 AM
The last OTA's prior to camp were at the end of May, which is AFTER 5/2.
I understand and that's not the point I'm debating.
I'm responding to the notion that Roaf has had problems forever, that never left him, which flared up again the instant he started working out.

oOn 5/20/06 he was in the middle of a rejuvenated workout regimen, had no physical complaints, and was supposedly pumped for the season. So pumped at the end of the season that he talked Shields out of retiring.

milkman
08-16-2006, 10:41 AM
I've always understood that part - I guess that just means that he did absolutely nothing in the way of conditioning from 1/06 - 4/06.

If he had, I would guess that he would have had issues before OTA's.

Did you not read Post #37?

Scaga
08-16-2006, 10:46 AM
I feel sorry for his wife...
I guy his size is really liable to balloon-up after retiring.
Might give new meaning to the term "Big Willie".

j/k

Have a good life after football Roaf. You deserve it.

Wile_E_Coyote
08-16-2006, 10:50 AM
even Jr still thinks he can make the team. Roaf's attitude was in the right place, his body just can't comply

MOhillbilly
08-16-2006, 10:51 AM
the FB and LJs pass blocking worries me way way more than roaf not returning as far as greens health is concerned.

Now as far as LJs running ability he has the tools to run anywhere on the field.

Sure-Oz
08-16-2006, 10:56 AM
i already prepared for life without roaf since he announced weeks back, so no biggie we'll survive.

Garcia Bronco
08-16-2006, 10:59 AM
He'll be back

trndobrd
08-16-2006, 11:03 AM
I'm responding to the notion that Roaf has had problems forever, that never left him, which flared up again the instant he started working out.

oOn 5/20/06 he was in the middle of a rejuvenated workout regimen, had no physical complaints, and was supposedly pumped for the season. So pumped at the end of the season that he talked Shields out of retiring.

Maybe he changed his mind. People do that sometimes.

To suggest that he had no physical complaints is probably incorrect. Guys like Roaf are pretty much in constant pain, espcially after years of play in turf. Watching him walk makes my knees hurt. It is more of a question of how much pain, and how much is he willing to accept.

Perhaps the pain during OTAs was 'normal', but he found later that he was still not recovering as quickly as he wanted. Maybe as the season got closer he started to think more about spending Monday's Tuesday's and Wednesday's as a cripple and decided he had enough.

If he changed his mind, so be it. He doesn't owe me anything. I was glad to watch him as a Chief and will watch when he is inducted into the HOF.

Baby Lee
08-16-2006, 11:06 AM
To suggest that he had no physical complaints is probably incorrect. Guys like Roaf are pretty much in constant pain, espcially after years of play in turf. Watching him walk makes my knees hurt. It is more of a question of how much pain, and how much is he willing to accept.
Just citing the interview and article;
This isn't rocket surgery, folks.

trndobrd
08-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Just citing the interview and article;

This isn't rocket surgery, folks.

The "no more aching knees" statement was an analysis of the writer, not a direct quote from Roaf. The only thing Road said was "I feed good." Again, pain is relative. Just because one ESPN writer said it, don't make it so.

Maybe I am just missing your larger point. Roaf is not contractually or morally obligated to return for the 2006 season just because some article said he was feeling good in May. For that matter, if he was in perfect health, doing backflips and going for pony rides he can still retire if that's what suits him.

ChiefFan31
08-16-2006, 11:29 AM
My question - WTF was he doing at OTA's in May?? What did/does he have to prove. However, in retrospect, looks like his body would have broken down during TC and that would have been worse for us.

Something else to note, I did not see in all the discussions in this thread so far. I remember reading on here, that Willie did voice his concerns to CP several weeks before the announcement, or right around the time we signed Turley. We did not know about it though.

chief2000
08-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Roaf mentioned Vermeil's tought TC's as a reason on the 810am. He said if they were lighter he could have played some more.

Damnit Vermeil.

tk13
08-16-2006, 11:52 AM
This really isn't rocket science. He felt good. He said he felt good. Then he pulled or tweaked his hammy. He didn't feel good. He thought about it for a couple months, waiting for it to heal. It didn't. During that time, he gave an interview to a Shreveport TV station that Bob Dole cited, where he said he wasn't feeling so good anymore. Then he retired.

It blows chunks, but that's just the risk you take with an old lineman. I'm sure he'd rather not tweaked his hammy, that's just common sense. But he did, it happened, and at a bad time, and we have to live with it. There's nothing anybody could've done, except maybe hold him out of the OTA's. And even then, that might have just prevented the problem from coming up until training camp, which would've been worse.

PastorMikH
08-16-2006, 11:53 AM
My question - WTF was he doing at OTA's in May??

My guess is he was trying to get ready to play the upcoming season and was excited because he thought he was going to actually be able to play again without all the injuries that he's had to deal with the last couple of years. After to May OTAs the pain and injuries were already reappearing.

I can't believe people are actually mad at Roaf for not playing. Sad? Sure. Dissapointed? Sure, but being angry at him is ridiculous.

Young guys don't understand what he's going though. In the last year or so, I have started to develope a better understanding about the wear and tear on a body. A few years ago, I wouldn't have understood why he's being a pansy, now I have the utmost respect for him and am just thankful that Big Willie has been a part of my team.

Dave Lane
08-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Somewhere I just heard a playoff door close...

Dave

BigChiefFan
08-16-2006, 12:17 PM

Dave
You must be in Denver. ROFL

The Chiefs are playoff bound and beyond.

ChiefFan31
08-16-2006, 12:39 PM
I can't believe people are actually mad at Roaf for not playing. Sad? Sure. Dissapointed? Sure, but being angry at him is ridiculous.

Im pretty much over it at this point, but I have to admit I was Pissed when I first read about it. The doom and gloom took a hold of me Dammit. :D

Im sure your right or pretty close with your assessment. I remember reading one of the surprising things, is that Roaf pushed hard for Shields to come back.

chief4life
08-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Something caught me as weird and I might be reading too much into this, but did you notice how he always looked down before he answered questions about whether or not he is done? I rememember reading somewhere that CIA investigators took that as a sign someone wasn't telling the whole truth. It could mean one of two things:

1) He knows he is coming back, and is waiting to talk to Herm about it to let us know.

2) He mind thinks he is done, but his heart still wants to play, which is making him seem unsure.

I really got the impression that he wasn't 100% sure he is done, and that he left open the possibility he could come back next year even if he skipped this year.

Overall, I'm still not sure what to think. Maybe I am just being overly hopeful. Regardless, I just hope he can be happy with his decision regardless of which way he goes.

Brock
08-16-2006, 01:04 PM
****ing give it up already.

Baby Lee
08-16-2006, 01:05 PM
His signature line can't hear you.

chief4life
08-16-2006, 01:05 PM

Hey it is just reading between the lines I just thought it was odd.

BigRock
08-16-2006, 01:15 PM
The funny thing was that his interview didn't seem to convince everyone. He said he was done, but then right at the end said "well, never say never" and mentioned Deion Sanders and Kyle Turley coming back.

The show then cut to Woody Paige and Skip Bayliss, one of whom said he thought Roaf would still be back this season. ROFL

penguinz
08-16-2006, 01:27 PM

Dave
Was it Door #1, #2, or #3?

Brock
08-16-2006, 01:40 PM

Dave

Yeah, I hate to see the dynasty of the past few years come to an end.

htismaqe
08-16-2006, 01:53 PM

OK.

I'm not sure where the "Roaf had problems forever, that never left him" sentiment came from. Certainly not me.

tk13 basically said what I'm going to say here:

Roaf was 100% healthy at the beginning of OTA's. This has NOTHING to do with his knee or lingering effects from last year.

Roaf INJURED himself in OTA's - he tweaked his hamstring - the OPPOSITE one that he hurt last year from what I've read and heard.

Hydrae
08-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Something caught me as weird and I might be reading too much into this, but did you notice how he always looked down before he answered questions about whether or not he is done? I rememember reading somewhere that CIA investigators took that as a sign someone wasn't telling the whole truth. It could mean one of two things:

1) He knows he is coming back, and is waiting to talk to Herm about it to let us know.

2) He mind thinks he is done, but his heart still wants to play, which is making him seem unsure.

I really got the impression that he wasn't 100% sure he is done, and that he left open the possibility he could come back next year even if he skipped this year.

Overall, I'm still not sure what to think. Maybe I am just being overly hopeful. Regardless, I just hope he can be happy with his decision regardless of which way he goes.

I think #2 is exactly spot on. Well, not so much his mind as his body. This is probably something most older players go through when it is time to make this decision. This has been his whole life, it has to be hard to give it up.

Baby Lee
08-16-2006, 02:39 PM
OK.

I'm not sure where the "Roaf had problems forever, that never left him" sentiment came from. Certainly not me.

tk13 basically said what I'm going to say here:

Roaf was 100% healthy at the beginning of OTA's. This has NOTHING to do with his knee or lingering effects from last year.

Roaf INJURED himself in OTA's - he tweaked his hamstring - the OPPOSITE one that he hurt last year from what I've read and heard.

It was well documented that Roaf has had some hamstring issues that past couple of years. He even missed some games last year.
Why do you assume his health issues were/are non-existant? Again, it's been well-documented about Willie's hamstring and knee problems. I'm sure in the off-season those health issues felt better, but that doesn't mean they were non-existant, just undisclosed to the PUBLIC.

Dartgod
08-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Heh. Two seasons < Forever

htismaqe
08-16-2006, 02:52 PM
I didn't say I didn't know who said it.

I said I don't know where they got it.

:D

milkman
08-16-2006, 03:02 PM

The fact is, once you reach Roaf's age, those issues never leave you.

He may have felt better, but it was inevitable that any one of those issues would come back to bite him in the ass, so to speak.

The fact that he probably worked out harder to stay in shape this offseason than ever is very possibly a big reason he suffered this hammy.

Baby Lee
08-16-2006, 03:08 PM

My bad, I read your post as "I don't know where you [me, Baby Lee] got this notion that people are thinking that, certainly not from me [you, aitchtessmahquay]."

htismaqe
08-16-2006, 03:45 PM
My bad, I read your post as "I don't know where you [me, Baby Lee] got this notion that people are thinking that, certainly not from me [you, aitchtessmahquay]."

You get a gold star for impeccable pronunciation.

Halfcan
08-16-2006, 04:26 PM
????

Marcellus
08-16-2006, 06:23 PM
No doubt not having Roaf sucks but jeeeezuz,we have to move on.

Willie played like 14 years and you know what, for every pro bowl year he had, some team without All Pro Willie won the Super Bowl.

The other 31 teams in the league have managed to survive without him and most don't have a premier LT.

It would be great to see big old 77 out there again but we can win with out him.

I am more worried about defensive improvment than I am with Turley lining up next to Waters.

For that matter,I am more worried about Waters foot than Wille retiring.

Chieftain58
08-16-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm retired, the door is closed. The body just doesn't want to respond. It isn't about missing TC.

crud :deevee:

Guru
08-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Shields is the only person that should really be upset with him. Roaf all but begged Carl to make sure that Shields didn't retire, because Roaf was not going to retire. I am not saying that Shields would have retired had he known Roaf would be gone, but the whole thing stinks in that regard.

farmerchief
08-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Well, crap.
I think he's still hurt.. :p

ROYC75
08-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Plus add in he has had trouble with gout in the ankles ( err, Madden calls them cankles ), some inflamation in the joints....... it all adds up to a well used body.

Rode hard and left to hurt the rest of his life.

I'll tell ya, my Dad, Mom and uncles use to tell me, Boy slow down, save yourself for when you get old. I ran nonstop, played hard,football, basketball, baseball , softball, tennis, golf, and just about any sport you can think of. The hours of playing were enormous after working all day and /or on weekends during softball tourneys, I never listened to them, I was in great shape, healthy and loved what I was doing........ I was having fun.

The wear and tear on the body not only caught up, it has almost left me immobilized

I only wish I knew then what I know now........