PDA

View Full Version : It continues... Olathe approves smoking ban

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Olathe approves smoking ban

OLATHE, Kan. (AP) -- The Olathe City Council has voted to ban smoking in most enclosed public places.

The ban approved last night exempts private for-profit clubs and fraternal organizations.

The council did not set a start date, although council members said they were considering having the ban take effect in mid-November. It will cover more than 200 restaurants.

The vote bans smoking in one of Kansas City's largest suburbs, following a trend begun two years ago when Lawrence banned smoking in public areas. Kansas City's smoking ban will not apply to bars and restaurants until 85 percent of the region's population is covered by a ban.

Only Mission Woods, Roeland Park and Fairway in Johnson County, Kansas, have passed similar bans. An Overland Park city council committee will discuss the issue next week month.

morphius
08-16-2006, 10:39 AM
It is only a matter of time.

Rain Man
08-16-2006, 10:42 AM
You want to hear something ironic? I was walking home last night, and there are some bars and restaurants with outdoor seating on my path. All of the smokers were outside, and the sidewalk area reeked of tobacco. I found myself wishing that they would go back inside and smoke there.

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2006, 10:43 AM
You want to hear something ironic? I was walking home last night, and there are some bars and restaurants with outdoor seating on my path. All of the smokers were outside, and the sidewalk area reeked of tobacco. I found myself wishing that they would go back inside and smoke there.
It's like raaaaa-eee-aaaaaaain on your wedding day.

DMAC
08-16-2006, 10:57 AM
It's like raaaaa-eee-aaaaaaain on your wedding day.ROFLROFL

DMAC
08-16-2006, 11:06 AM
ROFLROFLIt's not funny anymore...YOu got that stupid song stuck in my head!!!

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2006, 11:07 AM
It's not funny anymore...YOu got that stupid song stuck in my head!!!
ROFL

You wanna neg rep me to negate the rep you just gave me?

InChiefsHell
08-16-2006, 11:10 AM
This is ridiculous. THey just passed a similar ban here in Omaha. I say, how the hell can you tell a business owner that he legally cannot permit a legal activity in his establishment?

Within 5 years all establishments in Omaha, bars, keno parlors and restaurants, will be smoke free. Why don't they just make smoking illegal and be done with it? OH, that's right...revenue...

...bastards...

DMAC
08-16-2006, 11:10 AM
ROFL

You wanna neg rep me to negate the rep you just gave me?I want to, but I will just put on some music to clash with it instead.

penguinz
08-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Keep the smoking bans coming.

Cochise
08-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Why don't they just make smoking illegal and be done with it? OH, that's right...revenue...

Because then you lose the cigarette tax money.

Bob Dole
08-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Bob Dole sure is glad to see that people everywhere still can't resist the urge to impose their will (via government) on the owners of private businesses.

Bob Dole can't wait for the day where we start putting individual's BMI on their identification cards so we can ban the sale of high calorie foods to the obese.

You know...since all of this is for the public good and helps control skyrocketing healthcare costs and such.

Mr. Laz
08-16-2006, 12:54 PM
first cigs ... next pitbulls

muwahahah

http://www.ctgilles.net/images/pictars/dr.evil_one_miliion_dollars.jpg

InChiefsHell
08-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Keep the smoking bans coming.

Someday they will ban stupidity to...oh wait, everyone has the right to be stupid... :shake:

InChiefsHell
08-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Bob Dole sure is glad to see that people everywhere still can't resist the urge to impose their will (via government) on the owners of private businesses.

Bob Dole can't wait for the day where we start putting individual's BMI on their identification cards so we can ban the sale of high calorie foods to the obese.

You know...since all of this is for the public good and helps control skyrocketing healthcare costs and such.

Indeed...especially here when Nebraska got it's money from the "Tobacco Settlement" there was furious debate on how they should spend it...foolish me, I thought it was supposed to go to help all the poor sick smokers who were draining the system...:hmmm:

penguinz
08-16-2006, 01:07 PM
Someday they will ban stupidity to...oh wait, everyone has the right to be stupid... :shake:
They are trying to. It is stupid to smoke.

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2006, 01:09 PM
They are trying to. It is stupid to smoke.
OH THNAP!

penguinz
08-16-2006, 01:11 PM
OH THNAP!How clever.

ChiefFan31
08-16-2006, 01:11 PM
I knew Olathe would be one of the first ones.

It was only a matter of time really, that the smoking ban would spread to the KC area.

Brock
08-16-2006, 01:12 PM
I wonder where the tax money is going to come from when everybody quits smoking.

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2006, 01:13 PM
How clever.
I don't even care. I don't smoke with any amount of regularity and I'm one of those bastard-people that doesn't have a problem with quitting. There have been times that I've smoked around a 1/2 pack/day for a year straight, then quit because I was tired of it and had no problems whatsoever. I enjoy smoking, but not being able to smoke won't affect me either way.

I just thought your comment was going to get a harsh reaction from some of the smokers around here.

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2006, 01:14 PM
I knew Olathe would be one of the first ones.

It was only a matter of time really, that the smoking ban would spread to the KC area.
Olathe talked about it less than a year ago and postponed it. Most thought it was because they didn't want to be the first. As soon as Lee's Summit went I knew Olathe wasn't far behind.

The more communities that do it the quicker it will spread.

penguinz
08-16-2006, 01:15 PM
I don't even care. I don't smoke with any amount of regularity and I'm one of those bastard-people that doesn't have a problem with quitting. There have been times that I've smoked around a 1/2 pack/day for a year straight, then quit because I was tired of it and had no problems whatsoever. I enjoy smoking, but not being able to smoke won't affect me either way.

I just thought your comment was going to get a harsh reaction from some of the smokers around here.I am sure my comment will. That is why I posted it. What better humor than watching people around here blow their top about something so dumb.

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Longer version of the story here...

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/kshb/nw_local_news/article/0,1925,KSHB_9424_4920047,00.html

DJJasonp
08-16-2006, 01:33 PM
We've had this ban in california for several years now...when it first was announced, bar owners, etc were all up in arms claiming their business was going to go in the toilet.....well, several (smokeless) years later - and studies have shown the ban hasnt affected business whatsoever.

Bottom line - people are still going to drink and eat (they just wont be causing any second hand smoke risks while they do it).

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2006, 01:36 PM
We've had this ban in california for several years now...when it first was announced, bar owners, etc were all up in arms claiming their business was going to go in the toilet.....well, several (smokeless) years later - and studies have shown the ban hasnt affected business whatsoever.

Bottom line - people are still going to drink and eat (they just wont be causing any second hand smoke risks while they do it).
Research in this area has indicated that not only will it not hurt business, most places will see an increase in revenue and patrons.

Lzen
08-16-2006, 01:39 PM
I wonder where the tax money is going to come from when everybody quits smoking.

They'll just add more taxes to liquor.
:banghead:

Lzen
08-16-2006, 01:46 PM

Interesting. Personally, I don't have a problem with this ban. Of course, that's because I don't smoke cigarrettes nor do I live in KC. I wouldn't care if they did this in Topeka. If I still smoked, I might be upset. But in the back of my mind, I would know that it was good for non-smokers to not have to inhale my 2nd hand smoke. I do smoke the occasional cigar when I'm drinking a few beers, but I would just wait to smoke them until I went outside.

ChiefFan31
08-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Olathe talked about it less than a year ago and postponed it. Most thought it was because they didn't want to be the first. As soon as Lee's Summit went I knew Olathe wasn't far behind.

The more communities that do it the quicker it will spread.

Im sure Overland Park will be right behind them too. Im used to this law, as it has been that way out here for about 10 years, and I am a smoker.

Kinda funny when I go back to KC to visit. I like being able to smoke inside for the first day or two, but by the end of vaca im sick of it...

The wost part though, is the weather gets really cold out there. Smoking when its 9 degrees and a 20mph wind. Aint cool.

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2006, 02:38 PM
The wost part though, is the weather gets really cold out there. Smoking when its 9 degrees and a 20mph wind. Aint cool.
Oddly, that's when I like smoking more. I love to smoke when it's cold outside. Contrary, when it's really hot (like it has been here for the last month), I almost NEVER smoke.

banyon
08-16-2006, 02:39 PM
I was against the ban when it came to Lawrence, but I have to admit, I do like the fact that my clothes don't automatically reek anymore after coming out of a bar.

jidar
08-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Be nice to be able to go to a bar and not have to deal with the smell. Maybe I'll try watching a game or two in a sports bar this year.

edit: Actually though, I think restaurant and bar owners should be able to do whatever the hell they want with their establishment if it's privately owned and operated.

InChiefsHell
08-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Be nice to be able to go to a bar and not have to deal with the smell. Maybe I'll try watching a game or two in a sports bar this year.

edit: Actually though, I think restaurant and bar owners should be able to do whatever the hell they want with their establishment if it's privately owned and operated.

EXACTLY!! I don't give 2 shits if people enjoy going to bars now that they don't allow smoking...they were going to the bar anyway! And hey, if it was SUCH a big ass deal, how come more bars didn't do it voluntarily in order to "reap the profits" from all the non-smokers out there who can't stand the smoke? Because, it's been tried, and non-smokers don't go to bars that are smoke free. Period. They go to the bars they like and that's that.

I am a smoker, about a half a pack a day. I don't smoke in my house, because I don't like my house being all full of smoke. But I don't give a crap or hold it against people who do smoke in their houses. It's their house, they can do whatever they want.

The second-hand smoke argument is another BS deal as well. It can't be quantified, and the most they can say about second hand smoke in a bar for example is that it is an eye irritant, if you have asthma or allergies they can be exaserbated, blahblah...but it is not killing people. Period. They keep coming up with numbers, but none of them are verifiable.

I'm sure that second hand smoke is not the best thing to be breathing in, but there is just no evidence that it kills. That's another fairy tale that they throw out there to demonize the industry and squeeze more money out of them. Nobody ever seems to argue with a cigarette tax hike...

...aw crap, now I've gone and done it...

RockChalk
08-16-2006, 04:52 PM
another great thing about the smoking ban in Lawrence is that when I shower the morning after a night out, my hair and skin doesn't smell like smoke. nothing better than already being hungover, then smelling the smoke leak out of your skin. it's a disgusting habit and am glad I don't have to smell that sh*t when i'm out having a drink.

on a side note, i also have no sympathy for the people that die or have terrible diseases because they thought it was a great idea to inhale smoke. brilliant.

Hydrae
08-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Research in this area has indicated that not only will it not hurt business, most places will see an increase in revenue and patrons.

Someone (I think it was probably you) brought this up in the thread last week about Lee's Summit. Do you any kind of link or anything to back this statement up? I would think that if this was true, you would see restaurants all over the country going nonsmoking because it make fiscal sense. They are in business to make profits and it is their best interest to maximize those profits (isn't that we keep being told about the oil companies and their record profits lately?). If there is hard evidence that revenues increase with the removal of smokers, every chain restaurant in the country would be non smoking regardless of local laws.

RockChalk
08-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Someone (I think it was probably you) brought this up in the thread last week about Lee's Summit. Do you any kind of link or anything to back this statement up? I would think that if this was true, you would see restaurants all over the country going nonsmoking because it make fiscal sense. They are in business to make profits and it is their best interest to maximize those profits (isn't that we keep being told about the oil companies and their record profits lately?). If there is hard evidence that revenues increase with the removal of smokers, every chain restaurant in the country would be non smoking regardless of local laws.

a lot of restaurants have done this

Valiant
08-16-2006, 05:26 PM

Why dont you just allow the bars and resteraunts to decide themselves if they want no smoking????

Hydrae
08-16-2006, 05:26 PM

Then what is the point in getting the lcoal government involved? Let supply and demand control our free market economy. PERIOD

ChiefsCountry
08-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Here in Springfield restrauants are all smoke free but the bars aren't.

Bob Dole
08-16-2006, 05:35 PM

Which is the point: choice.

But by God since you don't like it, to hell with anyone else having a choice.

Fascist.

Valiant
08-16-2006, 05:37 PM

Most of those stats skewed, yeah there has been an increase in revenue its called population growth... We made our area smoke free two years ago but the population also doubled, but we will just chalk it up to smoke free environments and not that certain areas populations have doubled or tripled...

Lets take Johnson county as an example, If you campare profits for their bars five years ago today, is it because of smoke free places or that their population doubled???

-------------

Practically every stat they throw out is this way.. If I shit and it rains, then by thier reasoning it rains because I take a shit...

And this is from a nonsmoker who hates smoking...

keg in kc
08-16-2006, 05:47 PM
Good.

I hope we pass it in Overland Park, too.

InChiefsHell
08-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Why dont you just allow the bars and resteraunts to decide themselves if they want no smoking????

They never seem to want to answer that question...:hmmm:

whoman69
08-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Smokers bring it upon themselves. Most have little regard for those around them. I wish I could have gone to a bar when I was younger and not smell like cigarettes afterwards. I wish that when we had to clean up the base that half of the garbage I picked up was discarded cigarette butts. Why the hell do smokers feel the need to light up during dinner?

Bob Dole
08-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Why the hell do smokers feel the need to light up during dinner?

Bob Dole doesn't light up while other people are still eating.

whoman69
08-16-2006, 09:07 PM
They never seem to want to answer that question...:hmmm:
No restaurant in their right mind would give up 20 % of their business which is what they are doing if they place a ban on smoking where no other business does. They are not going to pick up that 20% by an increase of customers who wouldn't have gone before because the place had smoking. Simple economics.

banyon
08-16-2006, 09:30 PM
No restaurant in their right mind would give up 20 % of their business which is what they are doing if they place a ban on smoking where no other business does. They are not going to pick up that 20% by an increase of customers who wouldn't have gone before because the place had smoking. Simple economics.

But they will pick back up 17% or so of smokers who get used to it, smoke outside, and still drink at places they like.

At least that's what happened here, eventually.

DomerNKC
08-16-2006, 11:58 PM
another great thing about the smoking ban in Lawrence is that when I shower the morning after a night out, my hair and skin doesn't smell like smoke. nothing better than already being hungover, then smelling the smoke leak out of your skin. it's a disgusting habit and am glad I don't have to smell that sh*t when i'm out having a drink.

on a side note, i also have no sympathy for the people that die or have terrible diseases because they thought it was a great idea to inhale smoke. brilliant.smoking is a disgusting habit that kills people but public intoxication is cool right? btw, after one drink you are impaired. you then put your life and mine on the line when you get behind the wheel but smokers are the only selfish ones.

burt
08-17-2006, 08:22 AM

on a side note, i also have no sympathy for the people that die or have terrible diseases because they thought it was a great idea to inhale smoke. brilliant.

You are an ignoranus....you are both stupid and an asshole......

Pneuma
08-17-2006, 08:45 AM
Well being a non-smoker I will enjoy sitting at the bar without having to smell and inhale the second hand smoke.

But I do have a serious problem with the our freedoms as United States citizens being smashed and most people being ok with it.

If i am the owner of a business and want to allow smoking in my establishment, then no government policy should limit my choice.

The majority of people are non smokers, it is bullshit that those people can force these type of regulations...

It's the little things like this, that given enough time, will turn this world into some demolition man movie type of existance...

//end rant

RufusRJones
08-17-2006, 08:46 AM
I think smokers are looking at this all wrong. Sure, it stinks to have to step outside to have a smoke...but here's the thing - you get to step outside into "the cool club."

I was reading one of those Malcom Gladwell books, and the facts spell it out...smokers are cooler than the regular population. So when you step outside a bar to have a smoke, the crowd has already filtered out a big chunk of the losers and dorks. It's like the super crowd out there.

I work in a smoke free building...the smokers have to go outside to smoke...guess who's out there...that's right, all the cool kids. Is there a better first line than asking for a light or bumming a cigarette?

J Diddy
08-17-2006, 08:57 AM

So it's a great idea to ingest poison?

FWIW I have no sympathy for your hangover.

Hypocrite.

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Well being a non-smoker I will enjoy sitting at the bar without having to smell and inhale the second hand smoke.

But I do have a serious problem with the our freedoms as United States citizens being smashed and most people being ok with it.

If i am the owner of a business and want to allow smoking in my establishment, then no government policy should limit my choice.

The majority of people are non smokers, it is bullshit that those people can force these type of regulations...

It's the little things like this, that given enough time, will turn this world into some demolition man movie type of existance...

//end rant
Be well, Spaztic.

RockChalk
08-17-2006, 09:52 AM
smoking is a disgusting habit that kills people but public intoxication is cool right? btw, after one drink you are impaired. you then put your life and mine on the line when you get behind the wheel but smokers are the only selfish ones.

actually bud, since you don't know jack sh*t about me, you have no idea whether i drive or not when i drink. if i'm out having a drink, i don't get behind the wheel. who said anything about smokers being selfish? i just said i don't want to hear them bitch about the diseases they get. they know what smoking causes and they know it's going to kill them, but they just continue to light 'em up. i don't wish for them to die or get sick, but that being said, i don't feel bad for them when they do as they brought it on themselves.

RockChalk
08-17-2006, 09:53 AM
You are an ignoranus....you are both stupid and an asshole......

you must be a smoker, which probably makes you the stupid asshole between the two of us

RockChalk
08-17-2006, 09:55 AM
So it's a great idea to ingest poison?

FWIW I have no sympathy for your hangover.

Hypocrite.

When did I ask for sympathy from my hangover? Ingesting poison? I'd hardly say that having a couple of beers is even remotely close to smoking a couple of cancer sticks.

J Diddy
08-17-2006, 09:57 AM
When did I ask for sympathy from my hangover? Ingesting poison? I'd hardly say that having a couple of beers is even remotely close to smoking a couple of cancer sticks.

6 of one half a dozen of another

burt
08-17-2006, 12:42 PM
you must be a smoker, which probably makes you the stupid asshole between the two of us

actually bud, since you don't know jack sh*t about me, you have no idea whether i smoke or not. i just said i don't want to hear you bitch about the diseases you get.

Let's see...300 posts...no sympathy for cancer sufferers...now ya wanna go rounds with me? You are the very definition of ignoranus.

And to top it off, you insult like Pee Wee Herman..."I know you are , but what am I?". You will probably prosper in the 4th grad.....

DomerNKC
08-19-2006, 08:28 PM
actually bud, since you don't know jack sh*t about me, you have no idea whether i drive or not when i drink. if i'm out having a drink, i don't get behind the wheel. who said anything about smokers being selfish? i just said i don't want to hear them bitch about the diseases they get. they know what smoking causes and they know it's going to kill them, but they just continue to light 'em up. i don't wish for them to die or get sick, but that being said, i don't feel bad for them when they do as they brought it on themselves.clinton didnt inhale either.

Garcia Bronco
08-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Give up cigarettes. They are bad for you and your loved ones.

Bowser
08-20-2006, 10:50 AM
After reading two threads f this subject and seeing the responses of those affected by it, all I can say for sure is that nicotine is one evil bitch of an addictive drug. And I'm glad I never got hooked on it.

Tinlar
08-20-2006, 11:08 AM
If you have ever been through Austin Texas you have probably heard of 6th street; our club section of town. The smoking ban that passed here included clubs (something about providing a safe work environment... BS) so you can not smoke in the clubs. 6th street is lined with bars on both sides for probably a half mile. Now everone smokes outside the bars in the street. Sunday morning the ground is carpeted with cigarette butts ... literally carpeted. The club owners are refusing to do anything about it because the problem is in a public street; and they'd be happy to clean it up if the problem can be moved back inside their club where they can sell drinks.

Providing public ash trays and writing littering tickets have done nothing to deal with this issue. The city is considering lifting the ban for this reason alone.

Bowser
08-20-2006, 11:16 AM
If you have ever been through Austin Texas you have probably heard of 6th street; our club section of town. The smoking ban that passed here included clubs (something about providing a safe work environment... BS) so you can not smoke in the clubs. 6th street is lined with bars on both sides for probably a half mile. Now everone smokes outside the bars in the street. Sunday morning the ground is carpeted with cigarette butts ... literally carpeted. The club owners are refusing to do anything about it because the problem is in a public street; and they'd be happy to clean it up if the problem can be moved back inside their club where they can sell drinks.

Providing public ash trays and writing littering tickets have done nothing to deal with this issue. The city is considering lifting the ban for this reason alone.

You know what this brings to mind? This conjures up the thought of parents trying to teach their seven year old to pick up their plate after dinner set it in the sink, and put the uneaten food down the disposal. The kid is so pissed at the thought of doing this, they instead fling their uneaten food all over the floor, and refuses to pick it up because it's not their job to clean the house. And the parents, instead of staying on them to do what they ask, reneg and just let the kids do as they please.

DomerNKC
08-20-2006, 11:30 AM
asking a segment of the population to pay more taxes than everyone else and then legislating against them is wrong. it is not a smoker/ nonsmoker battle. it is a freedom/ non-freedom battle. forget about the smoking issue. business owners are being told that they cannot allow legal adults to perform a legal activity in their establishment. how many more things need to be taken away before we change the national anthem to "back in the USSR."

burt
08-20-2006, 11:39 AM
After reading two threads f this subject and seeing the responses of those affected by it, all I can say for sure is that nicotine is one evil bitch of an addictive drug. And I'm glad I never got hooked on it.

true dat.

burt
08-20-2006, 11:47 AM

agreed, but that deosn't have much to do with the issue. The issue is that another freedome is being taken away. Domer's point is well said. The government is decreeing that patrons are not allowed to engage in an illegal act in an establishment. They are taking the rights away from Bar Owners and Restaurant owners.

With that said...I live in Olathe. I do NOT care about smoking in a bar nor a restaurant. I also wear my seat belt. But it pisses me off that the government has a law saying I can't smoke in a bar(regardless of whether I smoke or not) and the government has a law saying I have to wear a seat belt.

The next law will be that it is illegal to eat beef...because it is bad for you.....maybe then people will wake up.

It's about being an American...it is about freedom...it's about choices.

Over-Head
08-20-2006, 11:52 AM
22 weeks ago today I threw out my last cigarette.
But I still feel then like I do now.
As long as your not blowing smoke in my face you should be allowed to light up, just as much as I should be allowed to not smoke.
Public bans are just plain discrimination IMO.

burt
08-20-2006, 11:57 AM
22 weeks ago today I threw out my last cigarette.
But I still feel then like I do now.
As long as your not blowing smoke in my face you should be allowed to light up, just as much as I should be allowed to not smoke.
Public bans are just plain discrimination IMO.

ding, ding, ding...we have a winner!

Frazod
08-20-2006, 12:13 PM

So is fascism.

Over-Head
08-20-2006, 12:28 PM
ding, ding, ding...we have a winner!
Holy snapping azzholes.
A Ra!der loven Canuck with a winning idea.
Who'd a thunk it?

burt
08-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Holy snapping azzholes.
A Ra!der loven Canuck with a winning idea.
Who'd a thunk it?

ROFL ROFL

Demonpenz
08-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Smoke and drink for a long time.... and you will die on time