PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Favre MAYBE Retiring today

dirk digler
08-16-2006, 10:39 AM
I know it is from PFT but apparently Brett has scheduled a press conference for 12:30 today and the speculation begins that he is retiring.

FAVRE RETIRING TODAY?

The early indications based on our discussions with league sources are that Favre will announce his retirement from the NFL at a Wednesday press conference.

As we write this one, we're trying hard not to pull one of those "Favre will retire, unless he doesn't" routines. Instead, our goal is merely to share the information that we currently have. This isn't a report that he will retire, and if he does retire we won't claim "as first reported on PFT". Our goal at this point is only to inform.

So here's what we know -- a response from one member of the organization to a direct question regarding whether Favre is calling it quits today did not have the "No way in hell!" or "I'm looking into this right now!" quality that would be expected upon hearing that The Franchise is walking away in the middle of training camp.

Favre went back and forth in the offseason regarding whether to return for another year of football. Though the team was under the impression for most of the offseason that Favre was indeed coming back, Peter King of Sports Illustrated reporting earlier this week that Favre did not make a final decision until he heard former NFL quarterback Phil Simms explain on Sirius NFL Radio that Favre should play as long as he is able to play.

The abrupt decision, if he does indeed retire, would come after a preseason game in which Favre got the potato sack treatment from the Chargers' front seven, due in large part to a young, inexperienced offensive line that is learning a new blocking scheme.

Taking over for Favre would be 2005 first-rounder Aaron Rodgers. The move also likely would put the Packers in the market for a veteran quarterback. Kerry Collins is the most recognizable name on the shelf.

Again, we're not saying that Favre is retiring. But the signs are surely pointing in that direction.

POSTED 10:23 a.m. EDT, August 16, 2006

FAVRE CALLS A PRESS CONFERENCE

KSTP-TV reports that Packers quarterback Brett Favre has called a press conference for 12:30 p.m. EDT on Wednesday.

The reason for the press conference has not been announced. Obviously, the news will spark speculation that Favre has decided to pack it in and call it a career.

Robo-Chachi
08-16-2006, 10:40 AM
And I thought Michael Jordan couldn't make up his mind.

JBucc
08-16-2006, 10:40 AM
A guy doesn't call his team the most talented he's ever been on, whether he really believed it or not, and retire two weeks later.

ChiefsFan4Life
08-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Some Packers fans on other boards said he has a Press Conference EVERY Wednesday and this is really a non-issue

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2006, 10:42 AM
The backup (name escapes me right now) had significantly better numbers in their game against SD.

tyton75
08-16-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm still suprised he came back this year anyway.. they have very little chance to make the playoffs

Robo-Chachi
Maybe he's officially reversing his "best team ever" comment.

BigChiefFan
I don't think he would go through training camp if he didn't intend on playing.

morphius
08-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Some Packers fans on other boards said he has a Press Conference EVERY Wednesday and this is really a non-issue
Seems to fall into the PFT level of indepth research...

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Perhaps he got part way through TC and decided he didn't want to go through a full season.

BigRedChief
It's also on the local TV stations website.

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S18242.html?cat=7

milkman
The backup (name escapes me right now) had significantly better numbers in their game against SD.

You mean this guy?

Taking over for Favre would be 2005 first-rounder Aaron Rodgers.

Cochise
08-16-2006, 10:47 AM
The local sports station reported this as being a rumor going around camp, so PFT is not actually the source.

Tuckdaddy
08-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Now that he's been through camp and can actually see that his team will suck he wants to retire.

With or without his 29 int's they will suck but GB fans should be praying he'll retire so they can move on.

BigChiefFan
08-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Perhaps he got part way through TC and decided he didn't want to go through a full season.
Joe Theisman sure was bashing him on national T.V. the other night, but I'll be very surprised to see him retire this season unless he's injured.

Hog Farmer
08-16-2006, 10:52 AM
Brett Favre Sucks, he needs to retire and let Rogers get his career started. He's held the packers back for the last several years.

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2006, 10:54 AM
You mean this guy?
Yes... I knew he was taken WAY later than expected, but all I could come up with was Smith from the 49ers. And I knew that was wrong. Then I didn't feel like Googling it.

wutamess
08-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Brett Favre Sucks, he needs to retire and let Rogers get his career started. He's held the packers back for the last several years.

And unfortunately he'll end up in Canton with the overrated Aikman while bypassing some real football talent like DT.

Pathetic.

dirk digler
08-16-2006, 11:00 AM
Sorry False Alarm. I guess I should have waited another 15-20 minutes before starting a thread. My apologies to all.

FALSE ALARM ON FAVRE

After further review, it now appears that Brett Favre's Wednesday press conference is simply a standard, weekly media get-together.

The root of the problem was that KSTP-TV in Minneapolis sold the thing as an unusual, out-of-the-norm event with this post from a couple of hours ago:

"Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre will hold a news conference at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday in the Lambeau Field media auditorium.

"There's no indication at this point what the legendary Packer quarterback is going to announce. The Packers lost their first preseason game of the year by two touchdowns to the San Diego Chargers."

As it turns out, he's not expected to "announce" anything.

Sheesh. You'd think that a TV station in a rival's market not far from Wisconsin would know this.

JBucc
08-16-2006, 11:00 AM
And unfortunately he'll end up in Canton with the overrated Aikman while bypassing some real football talent like DT.

Pathetic.You think DT is a HOFer over Favre? :eek:

BigRedChief
08-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Yeah PFT's "inside sources" are revealed again.

ChiefFan31
08-16-2006, 11:09 AM

If he does retire today, I would think its because shortly after being in camp and playing one pre-season game.

He realized he would be getting his ass kicked repeatedly playing for another 4-12 football team. I couldnt really blame the guy.

Edit - Should have read a couple of more posts there. Oh well. Heres to hoping Brett doesnt get his ass kicked all year.

StcChief
08-16-2006, 11:22 AM
I took a flyer on Rodgers anyway.

Halfcan
08-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Wow this day keeps getting worse, I was looking forward to Brett throwing number 400 and passing Marino in TD's.

Halfcan
08-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Sorry False Alarm. I guess I should have waited another 15-20 minutes before starting a thread. My apologies to all.

FALSE ALARM ON FAVRE

After further review, it now appears that Brett Favre's Wednesday press conference is simply a standard, weekly media get-together.

The root of the problem was that KSTP-TV in Minneapolis sold the thing as an unusual, out-of-the-norm event with this post from a couple of hours ago:

"Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre will hold a news conference at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday in the Lambeau Field media auditorium.

"There's no indication at this point what the legendary Packer quarterback is going to announce. The Packers lost their first preseason game of the year by two touchdowns to the San Diego Chargers."

As it turns out, he's not expected to "announce" anything.

Sheesh. You'd think that a TV station in a rival's market not far from Wisconsin would know this.

What dumbazzes-Brett said he will play this year and maybe one or two more-they should leave the guy alone. This is great news though!!!!!

Historia
08-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Too hard to believe.

Predarat
08-16-2006, 12:36 PM
PFT hahaha Ill believe it when I see it.

Cochise
08-16-2006, 12:39 PM
more ProFootballTalk.com genious

Calcountry
08-16-2006, 12:40 PM
A guy doesn't call his team the most talented he's ever been on, whether he really believed it or not, and retire two weeks later.Oh, but Brat can. You see, he is GAWD in Green Bay.

He can retire any damn time he pleases, right in the middle of the season if he so chooses, he has earned the right to bone his team.

All class hall of famer, first ballot.

The guy was a gamer, but he simply refused to admit that his shit started stinking a few years ago, and wouldn't quit. Get help Brat, you need it.

Calcountry
08-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Wow this day keeps getting worse, I was looking forward to Brett throwing number 400 and passing Marino in TD's.I was looking forward to Brat breaking the interceptions record.

Cochise
08-16-2006, 12:43 PM
BTW how many times does this have to happen before the threads stop coming that begin "Ok, I know it's PFT, but..."

Calcountry
08-16-2006, 12:46 PM
If he does retire today, I would think its because shortly after being in camp and playing one pre-season game.

He realized he would be getting his ass kicked repeatedly playing for another 4-12 football team. I couldnt really blame the guy.

Edit - Should have read a couple of more posts there. Oh well. Heres to hoping Brett doesnt get his ass kicked all year.Then he is a dumb sob if he couldn't figure that out at the end of last year. If he really wanted to play another year, he should have asked to be released from GB, but he was too scared to find out that nobody else wanted him. So know, he goes and pulls an ego trip on the team that "owed" him.

Retire already dude, in my mind, you were done when you heaved that one up in Philly to lose the playoffs a few years ago. I mean, its not like you were out of time on the clock, you just heaved it up.

Game over dude, move on.

milkman
08-16-2006, 12:50 PM
BTW how many times does this have to happen before the threads stop coming that begin "Ok, I know it's PFT, but..."

Eleventy billion? :shrug:

ct
08-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Oh, but Brat can. You see, he is GAWD in Green Bay.

He can retire any damn time he pleases, right in the middle of the season if he so chooses, he has earned the right to bone his team.

You're absolutely right!

I sent the 1st news alert to my supervisor, a Packer fan, just to mess with him. His response? "He deserves to retire." That's it.