PDA

View Full Version : Chad Greenway out for the season...

Fire Me Boy!
08-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Per ESPN, 17th overall pick, Vikings LB Chad Greenway is out for the season.

Amnorix
08-16-2006, 10:48 AM
When it rains, it pours.

ChiefsfaninPA
08-16-2006, 11:08 AM
I wonder when they will end preseason games?

JBucc
08-16-2006, 11:09 AM
I wonder when they will end preseason games?never

BigChiefFan
08-16-2006, 11:09 AM
I wonder when they will end preseason games? Good point. They really need to reduce the amount of preseason games, IMO.

Halfcan
08-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Jsp broke this in another thread-bad news for the Vikes though. He seemed like a good kid-sorry to hear about that.

ct
08-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Greenway and Robinson...ouch!! Maybe it was a Viking fan's wishful thinking rumor about Favre retiring.

Amnorix
08-16-2006, 11:46 AM
How the hell are the coaches supposed to be able to tell who is good in real-game situations, and who isn't, without preseason games.

And are players really going to be able to hit the ground running in the real season if all they do until then are half-speed, limited contact, no-tackling-to-the-ground training camp stuff?

Preseason is a necessary evil.

BigChiefFan
08-16-2006, 11:54 AM
How the hell are the coaches supposed to be able to tell who is good in real-game situations, and who isn't, without preseason games.

And are players really going to be able to hit the ground running in the real season if all they do until then are half-speed, limited contact, no-tackling-to-the-ground training camp stuff?

I agree, but they should reduce the amount of preseason games. FOUR games is absurd.

vailpass
08-16-2006, 12:30 PM

Yep.

vailpass
08-16-2006, 12:33 PM
I agree, but they should reduce the amount of preseason games. FOUR games is absurd.

I agree however there is another side to it:

What if there were only 1 or 2 preseason games? Then Portis would be missing 2 or 3 regular season games instead of just preseason games? Starters play in the first game or two then mostly don't play again until the season starts. The 4th PS game is a scrub-fest.
Guys that get injured early in preseason have time to heal. Guys that get season-enders are screwed anyway.

The real reson for the long preseasons:
Four games = four free revenue generators for the owners. No salaries to pay.

ct
08-16-2006, 12:51 PM

What if there were only 1 or 2 preseason games? Then Portis would be missing 2 or 3 regular season games instead of just preseason games? Starters play in the first game or two then mostly don't play again until the season starts. The 4th PS game is a scrub-fest.
Guys that get injured early in preseason have time to heal. Guys that get season-enders are screwed anyway.

Four games = four free revenue generators for the owners. No salaries to pay.

yup

BigChiefFan
08-16-2006, 01:15 PM

Four games = four free revenue generators for the owners. No salaries to pay.I understand the complexity of the discussion. I just think it would be help in the injury department. Subbing is already taking place in ALL preseason games, so 2 or 3 games should be ample time to see if a player is ready to make a contribution or not. Your "Four games = four free revenue generators for the owners-No salaries to pay" discussion does have some merit to it. However, I'm sure the owners would prefer to have a a SOLD-OUT regular season game instead.

vailpass
08-16-2006, 01:21 PM
I understand the complexity of the discussion. I just think it would be help in the injury department. Subbing is already taking place in ALL preseason games, so 2 or 3 games should be ample time to see if a player is ready to make a contribution or not. Your "Four games = four free revenue generators for the owners-No salaries to pay" discussion does have some merit to it. However, I'm sure the owners would prefer to have a a SOLD-OUT regular season game instead.

Yes, you would certainly think 2 or 3 PS games would be plenty to evaluate your new guys and shake some rust off the starters.

I'm not sure what you mean by "sold out regular season games" unless you are saying that if a star (i.e. Portis) goes down the stadium won't sell out because he is not playing.

Seeing big names like Portis go down as well as young guns like Greenway would seem to give momentum to the "shorten the preseason" motion. Still, it's hard to envision the owners walking away from an oportunity to squeeze every single egg out of their golden goose.

BigChiefFan
08-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Yes, you would certainly think 2 or 3 PS games would be plenty to evaluate your new guys and shake some rust off the starters.

I'm not sure what you mean by "sold out regular season games" unless you are saying that if a star (i.e. Portis) goes down the stadium won't sell out because he is not playing.

Seeing big names like Portis go down as well as young guns like Greenway would seem to give momentum to the "shorten the preseason" motion. Still, it's hard to envision the owners walking away from an oportunity to squeeze every single egg out of their golden goose.
What I'm saying by "sold out regular season games" is just that. The regular season games have their stadium filled to capacity compared to a preseason game where I'm sure they are lucky to have 60% capacity. The more people at the venue, the more for parking, concessions, etc...You with me, now?

vailpass
08-16-2006, 01:42 PM
What I'm saying by "sold out regular season games" is just that. The regular season games have their stadium filled to capacity compared to a preseason game where I'm sure they are lucky to have 60% capacity. The more people at the venue, the more for parking, concessions, etc...You with me, now?

Got it. I'm just wondering how the length of the PS affects regular season attendance. Are you suggesting adding RS games?

BigChiefFan
08-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Got it. I'm just wondering how the length of the PS affects regular season attendance. Are you suggesting adding RS games?Yes. They are playing the games anyway-might as well make them mean something.

jspchief
08-16-2006, 02:25 PM
FWIW, reports from camp said that Greenway was unlikely to start for the Vikings anyway.

Apparently EJ Henderson is finally starting to catch on, and is looking like the guy they thought they were getting when they drafted him.

vailpass
08-16-2006, 02:39 PM
FWIW, reports from camp said that Greenway was unlikely to start for the Vikings anyway.

Apparently EJ Henderson is finally starting to catch on, and is looking like the guy they thought they were getting when they drafted him.

I couldn't care less what it means to the 'Queens.
I just don't like to see a Hawkeye go out like that. And yet, I'm somehow more at peace with what happened to Chad than I am seeing Gallery in that godamned silver and whack uniform.

hypersensitiveZO6
08-16-2006, 02:41 PM
I just don't like to see a Hawkeye go out like that. And yet, I'm somehow more at peace with what happened to Chad than I am seeing Gallery in that godamned silver and whack uniform.

I agree!

....for once.

htismaqe
08-16-2006, 02:57 PM

No shit.

Mecca
08-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Robert Gallery looks like a total bust........There are always going to be 4 preseason games might aswell stop bitching about it.

milkman
08-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Robert Gallery looks like a total bust.

Ain't it grand!!!

vailpass
08-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Robert Gallery looks like a total bust........There are always going to be 4 preseason games might aswell stop bitching about it.

Of course he does. He is an innately good being surrounded by evil incarnate; living in the land of all that is wrong. It stands to reason that his natural functions would be disrupted as he operates in a state of perpetual disorienation mere yards away from fans whode mere decision to attend the game has been ruled to constitute felonious intent.

All will be right with Gallery one he escapes that hell and lands with a team that represents the light. Say for instance.. oh-I don't know-a team with a zone-blocking scheme that can fully utilize an O-lineman with speed and power with RBs who are taught to make one cut an go.

Mecca
08-16-2006, 05:03 PM
I watched Robert Gallery get punked by some dude named Trent Cole........

whoman69
08-16-2006, 09:13 PM
I wonder when they will end preseason games?
How are they going to pick their players if they do? Do you really think that just seeing someone in practice is enough to judge a player? The Vikings were just plain stupid. You don't put a first round draft pick onto your special teams, especially when you are planning on that player being a starter for you.
Teams also need to get their players on the same page, something that cannot be done with just practice and no game conditions.
The idea of cutting down the preseason to 2 games and adding them to the regular season is just as idiotic. Where is a bigger chance of getting star players injured, in a game where they play a full game even though they are not ready for it, or in an exhibition where they might play just a few snaps and then let those trying to make the team come on.

whoman69
08-16-2006, 09:44 PM
That said, I would love it if he get's picked up by the Chiefs. He is in a bad situation with the Raiders. He has a definite nasty streak. Pass blocking can be taught. He is a very good run blocker.

The plan to bring him to the Chiefs is nearly complete.