PDA

View Full Version : NFL.com - Derrick Johnson for DPOY

sedated
08-16-2006, 11:33 AM
RIVER FALLS, Wis. (Aug. 15, 2006) -- Here's an early vote for 2006 NFL Defensive Player of the Year: Derrick Johnson.

The Kansas City Chiefs outside linebacker was a strong candidate for Defensive Rookie of the Year honors last season, but lost out to a deserving choice in fellow linebacker Shawne Merrimanof the San Diego Chargers.

Look for Johnson to outperform Merriman and every other defensive player in the league this year as he begins to establish himself as one of the league's most dominant players at his position.

In '05, Johnson thrived mainly from his amazing combination of size (6-foot-3, 242 pounds), strength, athleticism and speed that made him a sideline-to-sideline terror. His physical gifts alone were enough to allow him to become the first Chiefs linebacker in 20 years to start 16 games as a rookie. Johnson immediately showed he is a versatile talent who can rush the passer, drop into coverage, and always pose a threat to force a big play.

It is his play-making skill that I think will do the most to cause his already lofty stature to climb considerably higher this season. Johnson, who forced two fumbles and recovered one as a rookie, has spent the offseason and a good portion of the Chiefs training camp at the University of Wisconsin River Falls honing the techniques that allowed him to set an NCAA single-season record with nine forced fumbles at Texas.

The approach is right in line with new coach Herm Edwards' emphasis on making the Chiefs defense significantly better by instilling a more aggressive mentality.

"That's all coach Edwards talks about -- getting to the ball," Johnson said. "Every time that ball is snapped, all 11 guys are working hard, busting their tails to get to the ball."

And when they get there, the job is to do everything possible to try and separate it from the ball carrier.

"This year, I've got so much stuff up my sleeve, I'm going to pop the ball out any time I get a chance," Johnson said. "The main thing you want is to secure the tackle. Most of the time, I can secure the tackle with one arm, either arm, and with the other arm that's free, I can punch the ball out from the back.

"Being on defense and trying to get the defense turned around, you've got to cause turnovers."

Johnson also should receive a recognition boost from the fact the Chiefs defense will likely play much better than it did in 2005, when it ranked 25th in the NFL overall and 30th against the pass. Kansas City's defensive struggles did little to help his chances to be recognized as the league's best rookie defender last year.

FIVE REASONS WHY…
…the Chiefs look like they could be the team to beat in the AFC West:

- Herm Edwards' ability to get the defense to perform better by instilling a more aggressive, attacking mentality, and players such as Derrick Johnson emerging as dominant forces within the unit.
- Larry Johnson's power running. (:rolleyes: good insight)
- Trent Green's accurate passing. (:rolleyes: this guy must really be studying with insider info like that)
- Tony Gonzalez's big plays. (:rolleyes: great research jaggoff)
- A solid kicking game that will give the Chiefs an edge in several close, low-scoring games they are likely to play with the defensive-minded Edwards in charge.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9604106

Fish
08-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Quite a prediction for a second year LB.....

Not to take anything away from DJ, but to call him DPOY before the season starts is a little lame....

|Zach|
08-16-2006, 11:41 AM
( :rolleyes: a whole lot of new info there)
What kind of "new info" were you seeking?

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2006, 11:42 AM
"The main thing you want is to secure the tackle. Most of the time, I can secure the tackle with one arm, either arm, and with the other arm that's free, I can punch the ball out from the back.

"Being on defense and trying to get the defense turned around, you've got to cause turnovers."

This quote kind of bothers me. Yeah causing turnovers is great, but don't mess with your technique to it. I rather him say I'm gonna pop, wrap, and drill them to the ground. Instead of working on ballstripping techniques.

StcChief
08-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Nfl.com has a Chiefs homer :rolleyes:

milkman
08-16-2006, 11:45 AM
This quote kind of bothers me. Yeah causing turnovers is great, but don't mess with your technique to it. I rather him say I'm gonna pop, wrap, and drill them to the ground. Instead of working on ballstripping techniques.

This is the kind of mentality that Gunt instills.

sedated
08-16-2006, 11:48 AM
What kind of "new info" were you seeking?

just to name a player and one thing he does well isn't exactly showing off your knowledge and research.

"Larry Johnson's power running, Trent Green's accurate arm..."

(maybe I should have said that)

stevieray
08-16-2006, 11:50 AM

I agree.

Like he did to Jake Plummer.

SNR
08-16-2006, 11:50 AM
This quote kind of bothers me. Yeah causing turnovers is great, but don't mess with your technique to it. I rather him say I'm gonna pop, wrap, and drill them to the ground. Instead of working on ballstripping techniques."Working on stripping drills.... he would teach stripping"

-Dick Vermeil

chief2000
08-16-2006, 12:10 PM
good one !

Wile_E_Coyote
08-16-2006, 12:11 PM
all that grilling in the parking lot has the players thinking KC Strip

sedated
08-16-2006, 12:19 PM
"Working on stripping drills.... he would teach stripping"

-Dick Vermeil

ROFL

each man's knee is his own knee

classic dick

htismaqe
08-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Nfl.com has a Chiefs homer :rolleyes:

It's Bob Gretz.

BigRock
08-16-2006, 02:55 PM
I don't think he's messing with anything. He's got an awesome chop move where he goes around the ballcarrier's back, which is what forced most of those fumbles when he was in college. I remember him doing it to Chad Pennington in the first game last year and knocking the ball loose, but he hardly seemed to do it the rest of the season. Maybe they wanted him to get away from it to make more secure tackles, I don't know. But it was a big part of his game and he's really, really good at it.

If Herm's encouraging him to do it more often, that's fine by me.

Tribal Warfare
08-16-2006, 03:13 PM
I don't think he's messing with anything.

Yes he is, the 1st fundemental in tackling is to wrap properly, The way he dictates in the way he tackles would mean that a a good RB would eat him for lunch with one armed tackles.

BigRock
08-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Yes he is, the 1st fundemental in tackling is to wrap properly, The way he dictates in the way he tackles would mean that a a good RB would eat him for lunch with one armed tackles.
He's not messing with his technique because that IS his technique. It's what made him the best LB in the country his senior year, it's what caused him to set a record for the most forced fumbles in a season. If the coaching staff tried to get him to stop doing it last season, then that was messing with his technique, not this.

And the guy isn't stupid. He doesn't use that move every time he makes a tackle. He usually did it against QBs, like he did against Pennington. He wasn't trying to one-arm tackle running backs in the open field.

Hydrae
08-16-2006, 04:24 PM
You know, I love having DJ on this team and was totally stoked when we drafted him. However, I think the best defensive player on this team this year will be Kawika. He came on better than most (if not all) of us expected last year and from what I could see in the first pre-season game, he has continued to improve.

Halfcan
08-16-2006, 04:28 PM
DJ is no DT but he is good-Player of the year will probably go to someone on the east coast due to the voters. Somehow they will find a way to give it to Peaton Manning.

milkman
08-16-2006, 04:38 PM
DJ is no DT but he is good-Player of the year will probably go to someone on the east coast due to the voters. Somehow they will find a way to give it to Peaton Manning.

They give the Defensive Player of The Year to Manning (DPOY)?

Cool!!

Hydrae
08-16-2006, 04:39 PM
They give the Defensive Player of The Year to Manning (DPOY)?

Cool!!

Ricky

keg in kc
08-16-2006, 04:41 PM
"Jesus, you guys will bitch about anything."

- Cap'n Obvious is in training camp, too.

keg in kc
08-16-2006, 04:45 PM
DJ is no DT but he is good-Player of the year will probably go to someone on the east coast due to the voters. Somehow they will find a way to give it to Peaton Manning.No, he's not DT. DJ has a shot to be a superstar all around linebacker who excels not just at rushing the passer. Which is not a slam on DT so much as a nod to what DJ could turn into. He can be a game changer just not blitzing and stripping, but picking passes and running sideline to sideline. He could - could, I emphasize - be something amazing, and I think there's a chance that he's just one of a pair of all-pro LBs if Mitchell plays the way it looks like he's going to in the cover-2.

Times, they are a changin.

stevieray
08-16-2006, 05:08 PM
No, he's not DT. DJ has a shot to be a superstar all around linebacker who excels not just at rushing the passer. Which is not a slam on DT so much as a nod to what DJ could turn into. He can be a game changer just not blitzing and stripping, but picking passes and running sideline to sideline. He could - could, I emphasize - be something amazing, and I think there's a chance that he's just one of a pair of all-pro LBs if Mitchell plays the way it looks like he's going to in the cover-2.

Times, they are a changin.

The guy is special, that's for sure. I expect him to have a great year, as well as KM..I think KF is capable of stepping up if Bell struggles.

It's going to be fun watching it unfold...a defensive stand in Denver could really set the tone, especially with Herm's emphasis on winning road games.

One thing I won't miss is Dv's building up the opposing team before the game.

milkman
08-16-2006, 05:17 PM
The guy is special, that's for sure. I expect him to have a great year, as well as KM..I think KF is capable of stepping up if Bell struggles.

It's going to be fun watching it unfold...a defensive stand in Denver could really set the tone, especially with Herm's emphasis on winning road games.

One thing I won't miss is Dv's building up the opposing team before the game.

A defensive stand in Denver?
Not getting blown out like a High School JV team would be a huge step.

rad
08-16-2006, 05:31 PM

I think DJ is just referring to tackles from behind. Read the quote. I'm sure you can't try to reach from behind and punch out the ball when the RB is running toward you.

Marcellus
08-16-2006, 06:09 PM
I am slightly worried about this comment because of one glaring memory.

I think it was Warfield against the donks,I am not certain, but a reciver caught a pass and the DB ran up behind him and instead of tackling he wrapped one arm around the reciever and tried the punch the ball out with his free hand.

End result, he got dragged for about 20 more yards down the field looking like an ass clown.

I don't think DJ will get caught up in this but if the whole defense plays with that mentality, it worries me a bit.

Maybe they are focusing on this mainly with DJ.

sedated
08-16-2006, 06:24 PM
It's Bob Gretz.

actually Vic Carucci

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9604106

Jim Jones
08-16-2006, 07:08 PM
DJ finished behind Shawn Merriman, Lofa Tatupu, Demarcus Ware and Odell Thurman in DROY voting last year - I think calling for him to win DPOY is quite a stretch. I hope he doesn't let it go to his head, and I don't think he will.

whoman69
08-16-2006, 07:30 PM
It's Bob Gretz.
He is the biggest homer of them all. He makes Woody Paige look like a Broncos skeptic in comparison.
I think he will be improved this season, but to expect someone from such a poor defense to be player of the year is, well, a homer pick.

sedated
08-16-2006, 07:36 PM
He is the biggest homer of them all. He makes Woody Paige look like a Broncos skeptic in comparison.
I think he will be improved this season, but to expect someone from such a poor defense to be player of the year is, well, a homer pick.

that's nice, but it ain't bob gretz.

unless gretz writes carucci's stuff for him. :hmmm:

stevieray
08-16-2006, 07:40 PM
A defensive stand in Denver?
Not getting blown out like a High School JV team would be a huge step.

Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars..

Rooster
08-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Get ready..... DJ will be wipping ass soon!!!

Douche Baggins
08-16-2006, 08:20 PM
DJ will be able to really use his speed this year...no more thinking...go kill.