PDA

View Full Version : Get to retore point when computer won't Boot?

Mr. Laz
08-16-2006, 03:41 PM
i thought there was a way to use a "Restore point" in XP even when you computer is corrupted to a point where it won't boot (even is safe mode)

i thought it was using the XP disk

any suggestions?

(beside buy a mac or use a sledge hammer blah,blah,blah)

JBucc
08-16-2006, 03:53 PM
You can use the restore disk that usually comes with your computer or some computers have the restore data stored on a special part of the hard disk that you can access by hitting F10 on startup(I think that may be only for HP's and compaq's, not sure). But be careful if you have not backed up your data this will make the computer exactly as it was when bought and all the stuff you added will be gone. You cannot restore it to a certain point if the computer will not boot up, only to the beginning of the computer.

kaplin42
08-16-2006, 04:23 PM
if you can get into safe mode, you should be able to restore.

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

then just pick a date, pref. one a little further back, maybe like 2 weeks to a month.

P.S.

Don't buy a Mac, they are just as worthless if not more so.

DaFace
08-16-2006, 04:32 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/

I've used the method under "Manual steps..." numerous times. It takes a lot of work, but it works great!

Molitoth
08-16-2006, 04:35 PM
ERD Commander

htismaqe
08-16-2006, 04:42 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/

I've used the method under "Manual steps..." numerous times. It takes a lot of work, but it works great!

Exactly. That's what he needs to do.

PastorMikH
08-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Probably the easiest thing to do is to open up you computer and put a big magnet on top of your harddrive for 15-20 seconds. That will fix the corrupted sectors on the HD. Thing should then work like a brand new HD.

:)

Mr. Laz
08-16-2006, 05:28 PM
fixed it ......... manually PBJ PBJ

when in through dos and deleted/copied/expanded the corrupted .dll files that screwed everything up.

ha ... now they owe me lots and lots of beer!!! :D :toast: :BLVD:

thanks for the responses :clap: