PDA

View Full Version : When was Hali named starter?

rad
08-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Haven't been on in a while, so probably a repost.

Humor me.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/KC

ChiefsCountry
08-16-2006, 06:47 PM
April 29

milkman
08-16-2006, 06:49 PM
Sometime before TC.

My guess is about 5 seconds into game film for Hermie.

It took him that long to see that Hicks is a useless POS.

rad
08-16-2006, 06:50 PM
That's funny, but I assumed Hicks was the starter.

ChiefaRoo
08-16-2006, 06:55 PM
The nanosecond after he was picked by KC in the draft

whoman69
08-16-2006, 08:35 PM
The nanosecond after he was picked by KC in the draft
Vermeil never would have done that. Part of the reason young players never developed is that he never trusted them until they had to be thrust into the role because of injury.

hypersensitiveZO6
08-16-2006, 09:02 PM
That's funny, but I assumed Hicks was the starter.

Uhhh...no.

If you you didn't know................Hicks sucks.

Crashride
08-16-2006, 09:34 PM
When moby dick was a bass

Halfcan
08-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Sometime before TC.

My guess is about 5 seconds into game film for Hermie.

It took him that long to see that Hicks is a useless POS.

I don't think they will just cut Hicks though, he has been a good Chief. Maybe they move him as a DT, fatten him up to clog the middle, he is too slow to do much else.

Rausch
08-16-2006, 10:39 PM
I don't think they will just cut Hicks though, he has been a good Chief.

So was TRich.

rad
08-16-2006, 11:02 PM
Uhhh...no.

If you you didn't know................Hicks sucks.

I KNOW Hicks sucks, I'd like to see him drop down the depth chart just as much as anyone here, but the last time I looked at the depth chart, Hicks was listed as the starter. I'm just glad to see the young guys getting a shot.

BTW, is Hali still nursing sore ribs? I'm looking forward to the game tommorrow 'cause it's the only Chiefs game I'll get to see for a while.

hypersensitiveZO6
08-16-2006, 11:06 PM
I KNOW Hicks sucks, I'd like to see him drop down the depth chart just as much as anyone here, but the last time I looked at the depth chart, Hicks was listed as the starter. I'm just glad to see the young guys getting a shot.

BTW, is Hali still nursing sore ribs? I'm looking forward to the game tommorrow 'cause it's the only Chiefs game I'll get to see for a while.

No, he's fine. He was graduating last week. He's been in camp (I was there) and looked like the most intense guy on the field. When you watch the game tommorrow, keep the name Shane Burton in mind. He was moved to the LDE position I believe because of Hicks horrible play.

rad
08-16-2006, 11:09 PM
No, he's fine. He was graduating last week. He's been in camp (I was there) and looked like the most intense guy on the field. When you watch the game tommorrow, keep the name Shane Burton in mind. He was moved to the LDE position I believe because of Hicks horrible play.

Will do. I want to see Reed and Edwards also. They're starting so they must be doing pretty good. On the other hand, they only beat out Sims and Dalton, so.....

hypersensitiveZO6
08-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Will do. I want to see Reed and Edwards also. They're starting so they must be doing pretty good. On the other hand, they only beat out Sims and Dalton, so.....

They were most definitely a presence.....something I'm not used to at DT. I hope there the real deal.

I love watching the two young safeties.

rad
08-16-2006, 11:21 PM
They were most definitely a presence.....something I'm not used to at DT. I hope there the real deal.

I love watching the two young safeties.

Yeah, them too. I've heard good thing about them here.

Who looks likely to backup LJ? Bennett's still hurt, right?

hypersensitiveZO6
08-16-2006, 11:26 PM
Yeah, them too. I've heard good thing about them here.

Who looks likely to backup LJ? Bennett's still hurt, right?

Dee Brown looked pretty strong.

Bennett isn't hurt, so I guess he should play.

CHENZ A!
08-16-2006, 11:59 PM

So Hali is going to play tomorrow? I thought that he was not.

hypersensitiveZO6
08-17-2006, 12:01 AM
So Hali is going to play tomorrow? I thought that he was not.

Yes.

I don't see why not.

beer bacon
08-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Yes.

I don't see why not.

I don't think Hali is playing. He didn't practice this week. Bennett isn't playing either. They are planning on Bennett making his first appearance next week against St. Louis.

hypersensitiveZO6
08-17-2006, 12:09 AM
I don't think Hali is playing. He didn't practice this week. Bennett isn't playing either. They are planning on Bennett making his first appearance next week against St. Louis.

I do remember hearing something like that about Bennett.

I was sure Hali was playing. You may be right. I seriously hope he plays.

beer bacon
08-17-2006, 12:12 AM
I do remember hearing something like that about Bennett.

I was sure Hali was playing. You may be right. I seriously hope he plays.

I thought he was going to be playing too. Then I read this:

==================================

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/15282208.htm

Chiefs Camp Buzz: That’s a wrap
The Kansas City Star
There was no long final horn, a la the Dick Vermeil days, but the Chiefs’ final practice of training camp was nonetheless spirited. Starting safety Greg Wesley was knocked to the ground in a jump ball with a linebacker. At least five passes were either tipped, swatted down or picked off.

Coach Herm Edwards said he learned a lot about his new team over the last three weeks, and that he has some “good-character players.”

“I think character’s the thing that always keeps you steady and gives you the ability to get through the hard times,” Edwards said, “when the season kind of goes up and down for you.”

Edwards didn’t give the team a freebie in the last workout. The Chiefs practiced for roughly an hour and 45 minutes in up-tempo fashion. When it was over, a smattering of claps came from the 200 or so fans who stuck around.

This afternoon, the Chiefs will fly to New York for a Thursday night preseason game with the Giants, then head back to River Falls to pack and return to Kansas City.

More Trent, Larry?

Unlike last weekend’s game at Houston, Edwards said his starters will get more of a workout in East Rutherford. The No. 1 units will play into the second quarter, though some of them might be pulled earlier than that.

When Edwards passed running back Larry Johnson at the Rodli Commons earlier Tuesday, Edwards cracked, “You might be wearing that baseball cap a lot this week.” The Chiefs have been trying to manage and limit Johnson.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT …

THE OFFENSE
For the second straight day, backup quarterback Damon Huard practiced. He still might not play Thursday because of a sprained foot. “If he can move, that’s the whole key,” coach Herm Edwards said. “I don’t want to put a quarterback in there with a bad foot, because these guys bring a lot of pressure. You want a quarterback to at least be mobile.”

THE DEFENSE
The Chiefs did a decent amount of blitzing in Tuesday’s workout, which was in shells. One player who won’t be rushing the quarterback Thursday is first-round draft pick Tamba Hali. He watched again Tuesday, still nursing a rib injury. … Rookie Marcus Maxey came up with two near picks Tuesday, both on passes from Green.

INJURY REPORT
Quarterback Brodie Croyle (shoulder); running backs Michael Bennett (hamstring) and Priest Holmes (neck); wide receiver Scott McCready (shoulder); offensive linemen Brian Waters (foot) and Peter Heyer (calf); defensive linemen John Browning (back), Hali (ribs), Carlos Hall (knee) and Stephen Williams (knee); and defensive back William Bartee (Achilles’ tendon) did not practice. Defensive tackle Junior Siavii (knee) did not participate in team drills.

SCHEDULE
Meetings and a flight to New York.

HERMISM

“It’s like the last day of school. To say the least, they’re probably excited now about going home and seeing their family and their loved ones. I know I’m excited about seeing my wife and my little girl.”

===========================

It doesn't sound serious. Apparently, alot of injured players are going to be back for our game against St. Louis. I bet Hali is one of them. I am really looking forward to seeing him play in KC red.

hypersensitiveZO6
08-17-2006, 12:17 AM
I thought he was going to be playing too. Then I read this:

==================================

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/15282208.htm

Chiefs Camp Buzz: That’s a wrap
The Kansas City Star
There was no long final horn, a la the Dick Vermeil days, but the Chiefs’ final practice of training camp was nonetheless spirited. Starting safety Greg Wesley was knocked to the ground in a jump ball with a linebacker. At least five passes were either tipped, swatted down or picked off.

Coach Herm Edwards said he learned a lot about his new team over the last three weeks, and that he has some “good-character players.”

“I think character’s the thing that always keeps you steady and gives you the ability to get through the hard times,” Edwards said, “when the season kind of goes up and down for you.”

Edwards didn’t give the team a freebie in the last workout. The Chiefs practiced for roughly an hour and 45 minutes in up-tempo fashion. When it was over, a smattering of claps came from the 200 or so fans who stuck around.

This afternoon, the Chiefs will fly to New York for a Thursday night preseason game with the Giants, then head back to River Falls to pack and return to Kansas City.

More Trent, Larry?

Unlike last weekend’s game at Houston, Edwards said his starters will get more of a workout in East Rutherford. The No. 1 units will play into the second quarter, though some of them might be pulled earlier than that.

When Edwards passed running back Larry Johnson at the Rodli Commons earlier Tuesday, Edwards cracked, “You might be wearing that baseball cap a lot this week.” The Chiefs have been trying to manage and limit Johnson.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT …

THE OFFENSE
For the second straight day, backup quarterback Damon Huard practiced. He still might not play Thursday because of a sprained foot. “If he can move, that’s the whole key,” coach Herm Edwards said. “I don’t want to put a quarterback in there with a bad foot, because these guys bring a lot of pressure. You want a quarterback to at least be mobile.”

THE DEFENSE
The Chiefs did a decent amount of blitzing in Tuesday’s workout, which was in shells. One player who won’t be rushing the quarterback Thursday is first-round draft pick Tamba Hali. He watched again Tuesday, still nursing a rib injury. … Rookie Marcus Maxey came up with two near picks Tuesday, both on passes from Green.

INJURY REPORT
Quarterback Brodie Croyle (shoulder); running backs Michael Bennett (hamstring) and Priest Holmes (neck); wide receiver Scott McCready (shoulder); offensive linemen Brian Waters (foot) and Peter Heyer (calf); defensive linemen John Browning (back), Hali (ribs), Carlos Hall (knee) and Stephen Williams (knee); and defensive back William Bartee (Achilles’ tendon) did not practice. Defensive tackle Junior Siavii (knee) did not participate in team drills.

SCHEDULE
Meetings and a flight to New York.

HERMISM

“It’s like the last day of school. To say the least, they’re probably excited now about going home and seeing their family and their loved ones. I know I’m excited about seeing my wife and my little girl.”

===========================

It doesn't sound serious. Apparently, alot of injured players are going to be back for our game against St. Louis. I bet Hali is one of them. I am really looking forward to seeing him play in KC red.

Whoa. I don't think half of the planet knows Hali may not play. You may want to start a thread.

Looks like another week of Eric Hicks.

NJ Chief Fan
08-17-2006, 02:21 AM
is hali goin to see some time thursday night or is he still recovering from injury

mikey23545
08-17-2006, 05:13 AM
It's time for Hali to take the diapers off.....

htismaqe
08-17-2006, 08:45 AM
1) Hali was never OFFICIALLY elevated to starter status. He just started practicing with the #1's one day and that was it.

2) If you've been reading the Mitch Holthus thread, you've known for a WEEK that Hali would NOT play tonight. :D

3) For whoman69 -- Vermeil DID do this EXACT thing -- with Derrick Johnson. He just all of the sudden one day was the starter with no announcement from the team that a change was made.

rad
08-17-2006, 09:08 AM
1) Hali was never OFFICIALLY elevated to starter status. He just started practicing with the #1's one day and that was it.

2) If you've been reading the Mitch Holthus thread, you've known for a WEEK that Hali would NOT play tonight. :D

3) For whoman69 -- Vermeil DID do this EXACT thing -- with Derrick Johnson. He just all of the sudden one day was the starter with no announcement from the team that a change was made.

Thanks for clarifying. Maybe it's just for the next preseason game. I looked on the Dallas Cowboys site for fantasy purposes and Marion Barber is starting HB....

jspchief
08-17-2006, 09:36 AM
3) For whoman69 -- Vermeil DID do this EXACT thing -- with Derrick Johnson. He just all of the sudden one day was the starter with no announcement from the team that a change was made.True, but who was his competition? The only other OLBs on the roster were Fox and Griffin. It's not like he had to unseat a starter.

rad
08-17-2006, 09:40 AM
True, but who was his competition? The only other OLBs on the roster were Fox and Griffin. It's not like he had to unseat a starter.

Scott Fujita was still on the roster until he got traded to Dallas in October or something.

buddha
08-17-2006, 09:43 AM
I don't think they will just cut Hicks though, he has been a good Chief. Maybe they move him as a DT, fatten him up to clog the middle, he is too slow to do much else.

The "fattening" up process appears to have started already.

"Good Chief" or not, the guy is not an NFL level player at this point.

jspchief
08-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Scott Fujita was still on the roster until he got traded to Dallas in October or something.You're right. I forgot about Fujita.

They traded him before the season started, but Johnson had already replaced him as the #1.

rad
08-17-2006, 09:50 AM
You're right. I forgot about Fujita.

They traded him before the season started, but Johnson had already replaced him as the #1.

What did we get for him?

jspchief
08-17-2006, 09:58 AM
What did we get for him?The 6th that we used on Tre Stallings.

It might have been conditional to a 5th.

The Red Sea
08-17-2006, 10:52 AM
I wondered to close to the practice field & the defensive drills....
So all of a sudden I hear..

"Hey Kid get in here your now a Starter!!!"

So I'm not even on the team & I was named a starter instantly!!!