PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever go to the Drive-In ??

Deberg_1990
08-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Just curious......I saw a story tonight on the news about nostalgia for old Drive-In movie theaters. It got me thinking. I used to love going to the drive-in when i was a kid growing up in KC. We used to go to the Old Crest Drive-In in Grandview and the Twin up in Independence. Heck, even the 63rd st one used to be fairly nice back in the day. I think the Twin might still be open? Does anybody still go??

"Bob" Dobbs
08-16-2006, 07:13 PM
I used to be the popcorn-jockey at the old Twin Drive-in just north of Olathe. Made $1.96 an hour, but it was the MOST FUN JOB EVAR!

JBucc
08-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Drive in theater's? I think there's maybe one in the state and I don't even remember where it is.

"Bob" Dobbs
08-16-2006, 07:17 PM
I know theres still one open in Fayetteville, jbucc.

JBucc
08-16-2006, 07:23 PM
I know theres still one open in Fayetteville, jbucc.Yep. Just looked it up, it's called the 112 drive in. There's another one in Mountain View and that's it according to google.

Guru
08-16-2006, 07:41 PM
I went to one in Pueblo just last month. First time for me since our closed down in Topeka in 1989. I really enjoyed it too. I wish they would bring them back.

Took my son to see the new Pirates and Cars. ONly cost me 7 bucks as children under 12 were free. Can't beat that deal.

SLAG
08-16-2006, 07:42 PM
I have never been but i would love to

Baby Lee
08-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Just curious......I saw a story tonight on the news about nostalgia for old Drive-In movie theaters. It got me thinking. I used to love going to the drive-in when i was a kid growing up in KC. We used to go to the Old Crest Drive-In in Grandview and the Twin up in Independence. Heck, even the 63rd st one used to be fairly nice back in the day. I think the Twin might still be open? Does anybody still go??
Ahh, The Crest many a night spent there as a kid.
I remember several occasions when the left screen had family fare, and the right screen had 'mature' fare, and the game was to sneak glances over at the 'mature' screen without Moms catching me.
I'm kind of surprised that drive-ins haven't had more of a resurgence with the places that broadcast in FM. Skipping first runs where you have to experience it over a little box in the window is one thing. Catching multiple movies on an immense screen and getting to hear it in stereo over a booming system with multiple subs is another.

Big Derrty has a working drive-in off 367 by Bellefontaine neighbors, but that's kind of the hood.
There's also one in Maryville, IL, but that's kind of in the boonies.

milkman
08-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Sometimes I just load a couple of my friends in the trunk and go to the nearest Drive In just to bring back the good old days.

Now if only that Drive In was operating, it would really be great!

:)

DJay23
08-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Went all the time as a kid. Used to ride in the back of the pick up truck to and from the drive in (in Leavenworth, can't think of what it was called. There's a grocery store there now i think).

Last time i went was in June. Ex girlfriend and i went. she was drunk. Need I say more?

Psyko Tek
08-16-2006, 07:56 PM
there are to in phoenix
the scottsdale 6 gets 1st run movie
2 for 5.50 a person kids under 12 free
bring own food and beverages

and you can smoke

it's a great way to kill an evening

bogie
08-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Sometimes I just load a couple of my friends in the trunk and go to the nearest Drive In just to bring back the good old days.

Now if only that Drive In was operating, it would really be great!

:)

We used to do that for real. Good times.

bogie
08-16-2006, 08:01 PM
If I remember right, sometimes the Drive-In would run a special where they would charge by car rather than by person. My parents had a station wagon with a 3rd seat in the back (it faced backwords) We would pack that car with bodies.

Valiant
08-16-2006, 08:02 PM

The Twin is still going strong, I think I shall take my date there for old skool...

OldTownChief
08-16-2006, 08:04 PM
I still go to the Landmark in Wichita. They broadcast over FM so you don't have to use their crappy speakers.

whoman69
08-16-2006, 08:05 PM
I think the drive in here closed sometime in the 80s. For awhile it had a stint as a XXX theatre which was really strange because you could see it from a fairly busy highway out of town. Before it was adult I went there as a kid and saw films like the original Yours, Mine and Ours with Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda and also The Russians Are Coming. When it closed it showed mostly B movies, I saw the Bo Derek Tarzan movie there.

Nzoner
08-16-2006, 08:15 PM
We just got a new one in St Joe a couple of years ago and I've been once,brought back alot of good memories.

When I was born in '62 my dad was the caretaker for a drive-in here and we actually lived in a small apartment built onto the back of the screen.Guess that explains my love for movies.

mikey23545
08-16-2006, 08:16 PM
If only there was one close by to go to....

Deberg_1990
08-16-2006, 08:29 PM
We just got a new one in St Joe a couple of years ago and I've been once,brought back alot of good memories.

When I was born in '62 my dad was the caretaker for a drive-in here and we actually lived in a small apartment built onto the back of the screen.Guess that explains my love for movies.

Thats awesume. Yea, i wish the old drive in theater would make a comeback but i guess its time has come and gone. Kids today would rather just rent B movies on DVD and "get it on" at home when the parents are gone.

Nzoner
08-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Thats awesume. Yea, i wish the old drive in theater would make a comeback but i guess its time has come and gone. Kids today would rather just rent B movies on DVD and "get it on" at home when the parents are gone.

Speaking of B movies,I saw my fair share at the drive-in,remember any of these gems

Dirty Mary,Crazy Larry
Rabid
A Small Town In Texas
Born Losers
Alice Sweet Alice

Deberg_1990
08-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Speaking of B movies,I saw my fair share at the drive-in,remember any of these gems

Dirty Mary,Crazy Larry
Rabid
A Small Town In Texas
Born Losers
Alice Sweet Alice

Oh Hell yea. I know all of those except the 'Small Town in Texas" one. Im a big fan of old 70's B flicks. Probably why Tarantino is one of my fave directors. The poster for his new movie coming out next year (A "B Movie" throwback) is my Avatar.

Dave Lane
08-16-2006, 08:51 PM
I just went to the Twin drive in about a month ago it was a blast!

Dave

luv
08-16-2006, 08:55 PM
The last time I went to the drive-in was my sophomore year of high school. There's still a drive-in open in Aurora (about 45 minutes from here).

BigRedChief
08-16-2006, 09:00 PM
We went about 3 years ago to both of the drive in's up here in the KC area. The movies were too dark and you couldn't see the picture very well.

I've been to the one in Aurora also. It was much better.

big nasty kcnut
08-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Wichita have the starlight drive in been there a few time and it's awesome. But wish they ran three movies of action comedy and action instead of action romantic comedy kid flick.

luv
08-16-2006, 09:02 PM
We went about 3 years ago to both of the drive in's up here in the KC area. The movies were too dark and you couldn't see the picture very well.

I've been to the one in Aurora also. It was much better.
It's cool as long as you take a good portable am/fm radio to tune into the station. Otherwise, I think you would run your battery down. That, or gas.

stevieray
08-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Now that the van is done,I plan on taking the family.

Nzoner
08-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Pedro and Man at the Drive-In :thumb:

http://thursdays.com/pic200/cheech77019.jpg

Deberg_1990
08-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Pedro and Man at the Drive-In :thumb:

hahah..i remember seeing Up in Smoke for the first time on a double bill at the drive in with this Tony Danza classic.....

DJay23
08-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Otherwise, I think you would run your battery down.
Maybe if you drive a wind up toy. I've never had a problem.

What's funny is that there are 2 drive in theaters within 15 minutes of Williamsport, PA not a very populated area at all. They seem to do well though.

One is a twin and one has 3 screens.

Nzoner
08-16-2006, 09:17 PM
hahah..i remember seeing Up in Smoke for the first time on a double bill

Have you heard Pedro and Man at the Drive-in?

It's a must listen for anyone with fond memories of the drive-in.

cyberjedi
08-16-2006, 09:30 PM
There are still 3 open in the KC area that I know of. I-70 drive-in not too far from the sports complex - the Twin Drive In on 291 near Independence, and the Boulevard drive-in. I frequent I-70 and the Twin. It's a great way to see movies if you have kids. Find a kids movie paired up with something you want to see - they fall asleep and you get to see your movie. Bringing your own food is a plus too. I freakin love the drive-in.

AirForceChief
08-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Freakin' LOVE the drive-in!! Much to the chagrin of my ever luv'n wife (who ALWAYS must drive home, as I will be relaxed and happy about the nights fair at the time the second or third feature is done).

When I was stationed overseas (Turkey), there was a recurring feature (critic) in the Stars and Stripes rag: Joe Bob Goes to the Drive-In. His sub line was "Another Victory Over Communism" and woud feature an paragraph or two about a new or refurbished drive-in somewhere in America (this was in the late 90's).

When we got orders to our new assignment to Beale AFB (Calf.), I was freakin' jacked to find one of his drive-ins w/n driving range of the base. I love the drive-in:

1) The Tool Box Murders (original not the re-make)
2) Midnight Cowboy
3) Mad Max
4) The Hills Have Eyes (again, the original)
5) High Plains Drifter

And INTERMISSION: The stupid Hot Dog and and other dancing condements and snacks telling me to get my ass to the booth!

And THE PLAYGROUND: Are you kidding me? I get to play on the all metal law-suit in waiting until the screen...flick...flick...flickers to life. Parents honking their horns letting kids know it was time to haul ass back to the family vehicle (ours' a fine station wagon parked backwards in the stall for maximum viewing capacity).

Hot dogs, peanuts, candy....oh, Hell ya'...me love the drive-in!!

Good times...good times.

Nzoner
08-16-2006, 09:44 PM
And INTERMISSION: The stupid Hot Dog and and other dancing condements and snacks telling me to get my ass to the booth!

Our new drive-in got ahold of those old commercials as well including the countdown ones,

4 Mintues Till Showtime

AirForceChief
08-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Our new drive-in got ahold of those old commercials as well including the countdown ones,

4 Mintues Till Showtime

Wow! I remember those as well...they put the pressure on to get off the playground equipment in time to avoid the ars-whupin' you were promised if you didn't get back before the movie started.

Where is your new drive-in, Nzoner???

Nzoner
08-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Wow! I remember those as well...they put the pressure on to get off the playground equipment in time to avoid the ars-whupin' you were promised if you didn't get back before the movie started.

Where is your new drive-in, Nzoner???

St Joe,MO just off of hwy 6

Deberg_1990
08-16-2006, 09:51 PM

4 Mintues Till Showtime

Thats cool....and someone actually built a new Drive-in ???

Nzoner
08-16-2006, 10:01 PM
Thats cool....and someone actually built a new Drive-in ???

What part of new didn't you......aw fock it :$2500:

I'm in a rare mood tonight,must be all this reminiscing

KingPriest2
08-16-2006, 11:56 PM
There is one in Carthage. They play 2 movies. My wife and I took the kids and spent 20 bucks total on food and tickets. Otherwise if we did they same thing at the movies it would have been 90 bucks.

It was fun sitting outside watching the movie.

BigRedChief
08-17-2006, 12:16 AM

4 Mintues Till Showtime

They have the dancing popcorn and drinks? The 1950's commercials?

Nzoner
08-17-2006, 12:26 AM
They have the dancing popcorn and drinks? The 1950's commercials?

I didn't realize they were from the 50's I was thinking mid to latter 60's

ZepSinger
08-17-2006, 07:46 AM
Ah, the memories...

1976- the Mason City, IA drive-in... On warm summer nights, I used to borrow my buddy's customized red chevy van with the bed in the back. Then, my girlfriend and I would park backwards on the very last row, crawl back in the bed, and let nature run it's course while watching 'B' flicks like I Spit on Your Grave out the back window...

Good times.... :)

Moooo
08-17-2006, 07:49 AM

4 Mintues Till Showtime

"Lets all go to the lllooooobbyyy.."

Moooo

Dartgod
08-17-2006, 08:33 AM
Have you heard Pedro and Man at the Drive-in?

It's a must listen for anyone with fond memories of the drive-in.[The man, approaching a car with...ummm, steamed up windows]Hey man, you guys got a....uhhhh, rod?[/The man....]

That one's a classic. ROFL

bkkcoh
08-17-2006, 08:39 AM
My wife and I went to the drive in this year to see The DeVinci Code and Posidon.

It is a great deal, $7 for 2 movies per person.

Robo-Chachi
08-17-2006, 08:44 AM
I go to the Boulevard Drive-In on Mission Rd. all the time. Just saw Talledega Nights there 2 weeks ago. Nothing like sitting out on a warm summer evening with a few beers at the drive-in. I was thinking about going out there this weekend. They are showing Snakes on a Plane and John Tucker Must Die.

If anyone is interested in going to the Boulevard you just go to I-35 and Lamar and go west on Lamar, turn right on Mission Rd. and the Boulevard is about 2-3 miles down. It's $7 per person. I think kids are free.

I don't go to the I-70 often, because it is so far from me, but it is pretty cool to go there on Friday night when the Royals are in town because you get a perfect seat to watch their Friday night fireworks.

StcChief
08-17-2006, 09:49 AM
HS only....70s

Nzoner
08-17-2006, 11:21 AM
[The man, approaching a car with...ummm, steamed up windows]Hey man, you guys got a....uhhhh, rod?[/The man....]

That one's a classic. ROFL

My favorite part is when he breaks the key off in the trunk lock with the guys they had snuck in still inside,then decides he has to take a leak and begins pissing on the trunk of the car,"Hey you guys,it's raining cats and dogs out here."

Predarat
08-17-2006, 11:27 AM
I remember the Wichtia drive ins pretty well. There was K-42 right off the highway, a single screen but pretty cool. There was a double screen by the crappy Wichita Mall that is now a golf course or something. But the double screen Landmark/Starlight is still running strong! I went there a few times before i moved but it sounds like they have improved it from above posts. Ive got a lot of memories there, almost got into a big brawl there.

Dartgod
08-17-2006, 11:34 AM
My favorite part is when he breaks the key off in the trunk lock with the guys they had snuck in still inside,then decides he has to take a leak and begins pissing on the trunk of the car,"Hey you guys,it's raining cats and dogs out here."

ROFL

I gotta find some MP3s of some of their skits. I had their Big Bambu and Wedding Album, but I'm not even sure where they are anymore.