PDA

View Full Version : Had to put our dog down today:(

hawkchief
08-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Jake - 12 year old lab. Hips were shot and had diabetes. What a great friend and teddy bear for our entire family. Fantastic pet - dogs have to be one of God's finest creations.

morphius
08-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Sorry about that man, sounds like it was a good time to put that dog down, not much worse then watching a dog suffer through that.

ChiefFan31
08-16-2006, 10:38 PM
Thats too bad man.

Went through that with the Family dog a few years back. He was my buddy :)

CosmicPal
08-16-2006, 10:54 PM
dogs have to be one of God's finest creations.

Totally agree.

My heart goes out to you though- it's always a tough loss.

ChiTown
08-16-2006, 10:56 PM
I hate hearing that. My condolences for your families loss.

Chi
~fellow dog lover

listopencil
08-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Sorry to hear that. We had to put our Black Lab/Pitt Bull to sleep a few years ago. He was 14.

Phobia
08-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Sorry to hear it. Contrary to what lots of people say, get a puppy right away. A puppy can bury the grief pretty quickly.

hawkchief
08-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Sorry to hear it. Contrary to what lots of people say, get a puppy right away. A puppy can bury the grief pretty quickly.

Thanks for the kind thoughts and suggestion, everyone

Actually, my wife and I took a preemptive measure a few months ago and bought of all things, a Westie, her and my 7 & 9 year old daughters' dream dog. I have surprisingly grown to like the little guy (I'm really a lab lover), and I think he actually added some joy to Jake's life. I suspect he will cushion the blow a bit for my girls, and probably me.

Count Zarth
08-16-2006, 11:17 PM
I hope you took lots of photos. I have hundreds of photos of my current dog because I know someday she will be gone.

Mosbonian
08-16-2006, 11:21 PM
My condolences to you.....I am not looking forward to the day we have to do the same with our Shitzu-Pekingnese....he's only 7 years old but he has already gotten that gray beard look around his mouth.

Plus he's gotten crankier a lot lately.

mmaddog

hawkchief
08-16-2006, 11:22 PM
I hope you took lots of photos. I have hundreds of photos of my current dog because I know someday she will be gone.

Funny you should bring that up. We opened up photo albums of our kids tonight to see what pictures we had of him. Turns out he managed to get most of his 110lbs. in the majority of our photos! Like most labs, he liked to be part of our family 'pile" as we called it, and was never more than a few feet away from someone, regardless of the time of day or night.

Phobia
08-16-2006, 11:27 PM

She's hoping you'll be gone someday as well - both the dog and your mother.

hawkchief
08-16-2006, 11:34 PM
My condolences to you.....I am not looking forward to the day we have to do the same with our Shitzu-Pekingnese....he's only 7 years old but he has already gotten that gray beard look around his mouth.

mmaddog

Thanks. Hopefully you've got another 7 to go.!

I did realize more clearly tonight that I'd spent the past 3 years or so in quite a bit of anguish watching the old boy grow old and essentially die a slow death. As much joy as they bring you when they are young and virile, it's a challenge to essentially spend their last few years dreading the trip to the vet and experience we had today. I guess that's the bad that comes with the good and perhaps it's a reminder that we are all aging, more rapidly than we might care to admit.

SBK
08-16-2006, 11:41 PM

We had a lab die when we took him in to get neutered. ( I can't say as I blame him ROFL), and we got a lab puppy within a week or two. I can't say how quickly the pain went away, it was crazy.

Our new lab turns 3 around Thanksgiving, so he's just now getting out of his puppy stage. (Thank goodness)

greg63
08-16-2006, 11:46 PM
Jake - 12 year old lab. Hips were shot and had diabetes. What a great friend and teddy bear for our entire family. Fantastic pet - dogs have to be one of God's finest creations.

Agreed; sorry to it.

Count Zarth
08-16-2006, 11:54 PM
We had a lab die when we took him in to get neutered.

Yikes! How did that happen?

Phobia
08-16-2006, 11:57 PM
We had a lab die when we took him in to get neutered. ( I can't say as I blame him ROFL), and we got a lab puppy within a week or two. I can't say how quickly the pain went away, it was crazy.

Yeah. The pain ceases immediately upon death.

Tribal Warfare
08-17-2006, 12:15 AM
I'm in the same boat that you are in hawk. In 2-3 months I'll have to take my 9 year old German Shepard to the vets for the "big sleep", since he's terminal with cancer.

SBK
08-17-2006, 01:53 AM
Yikes! How did that happen?

The vet said that the anestesia lowered his blood pressure so low that his heart couldn't pump his blood.

When the vet called and told me he died and explained how I thought he was joking with me. I had to go in and pick up his collar and name tags, and the dumb broad at the counter told me they weren't going to charge me anything. :shake:

That sucked big time. Telling my wife about killed her, just a few months before that her parents dog, that'd she'd had for 10-12 years had to be put down.

Count Zarth
08-17-2006, 02:00 AM
That's awful. How old was he?

They can't wake up the dog in that situation?

hawkchief
08-17-2006, 05:51 AM
I'm in the same boat that you are in hawk. In 2-3 months I'll have to take my 9 year old German Shepard to the vets for the "big sleep", since he's terminal with cancer.

Sorry to hear that. As difficult as it was, my wife and I held the old guy while he got his shot. I guess that was a good thing to comfort him during what seemed to be a painless procedure. Good luck on it.

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2006, 06:17 AM
Very sorry to hear it hawkchief.

Scaga
08-17-2006, 06:39 AM
Sorry to hear it....
Our 9 year old lab/rot mix has a bad hip. He still seems to be pretty happy and gets around pretty good, but I know the day is coming. Told my wife she'd probably have to take him to the vet when it's time. I too big a wuss for it.

boogblaster
08-17-2006, 06:56 AM
Sorry for your loss...Ive got a JackRussell that is having siezures was on phenobarbs now is on valium he still has them sometimes think Ill have too have him put down if he dont stop...BOOG SORRY....

htismaqe
08-17-2006, 07:56 AM
Sorry for your loss, man.

I lost my Boston last year...my advice is to GET ANOTHER DOG.

And FYI, the rep button is over in the bottom right of the post, next to the edit button.

By clicking on the report post link, you sent all of your thank you's to the admins via email.

Dartgod
08-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Sorry for your loss, Hawk. I lost my boxer this spring, so I know how you feel.

It's a good thing you already have another pup around to help fill the void.

Rain Man
08-17-2006, 08:04 AM
Sorry to hear. Pets are superior to people in almost every way.

hawkchief
08-17-2006, 08:13 AM
Sorry to hear. Pets are superior to people in almost every way.

So true. After daily dealings with knucklehead humans in the business world, to have to end a dogs' life just doesn't seem right.

WilliamTheIrish
08-17-2006, 08:20 AM
My son, as a high school school sophomore, went to the HHS and picked up a 4 year olkd chocolate Lab. Dad wasn't too pleased, but the dog seemed really appreciative that Sean saved him from the needle.

Living ina rurual area, he was great when it came to strangers dropping by. Even bit the UPS guy on the ass once.

He was having obvious trouble getting around due to his hips the last 10 months or so. Then, in an accident that has never been explained, a friend backed over him about 3 months ago.

He survived. And made -seemingly - a full recovery.

Then about 6 weeks ago he walked off into the woods and never came home. In a way, I'm glad. I could never have put him down.

He was good dog and UPS drivers are happier now.

ChiTown
08-17-2006, 08:25 AM
My son, as a high school school sophomore, went to the HHS and picked up a 4 year olkd chocolate Lab. Dad wasn't too pleased, but the dog seemed really appreciative that Sean saved him from the needle.

Living ina rurual area, he was great when it came to strangers dropping by. Even bit the UPS guy on the ass once.

He was having obvious trouble getting around due to his hips the last 10 months or so. Then, in an accident that has never been explained, a friend backed over him about 3 months ago.

He survived. And made -seemingly - a full recovery.

Then about 6 weeks ago he walked off into the woods and never came home. In a way, I'm glad. I could never have put him down.

He was good dog and UPS drivers are happier now.

I wish people were more like dogs. When it's your time, just go out into the woods (or, several bars of your liking) and never come home (just pickle yourself to death).

hawkchief
08-17-2006, 08:33 AM
I wish people were more like dogs. When it's your time, just go out into the woods (or, several bars of your liking) and never come home (just pickle yourself to death).

Good point. I have also seen some asses in the girle pic thread I wouldn't mind biting as well!

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2006, 08:35 AM
A la Leaving Las Vegas?

ChiTown
08-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Good point. I have also seen some asses in the girle pic thread I wouldn't mind biting as well!

LOL

I'll go with eating the front end of that arse. ;)

The Red Sea
08-17-2006, 08:41 AM
Sorry for your loss!

Last summer I put down my *18* yr old Lab.

In oh lets see here 3 hours I'll be putting down my *18* yr old cat.

Yes we got both as puppy/kitten..the yr we bought our house.
Also know some of you arent cat people but this cats a Maine coon.Soo we not only had a Lab one of the Smartest dogs there is but also THE smartest friendly cat(all 28 pounds of him) youll ever meet.

Both a HUGE part of our family.

As I was for my dog I'll be petting the Cat as he goes down.

They were here for Us its time to step it up & make sure as Hell I'm there for them!

StcChief
08-17-2006, 08:43 AM
Bummer. 12 decent life.

I have a 7 yo Lab Pointer, trying to keep her healthy
at a good weight. Not looking forward to that day...

RockChalk
08-17-2006, 08:44 AM
Sorry for your loss hawkchief.

I grew up with a Westie and my dad put him down at 13 years old when I was in Las Vegas. When I stopped by my parents house to get my car, my mom could barely tell me. I think I cried the whole way back to Lawrence. My dad said it was the hardest thing he's ever had to do, even harder than burying his mom. They bought a yellow lab about 6 months later and it helped us all out quite a bit, but I'll always miss that dog.

hawkchief
08-17-2006, 08:46 AM
Sorry for your loss!

Last summer I put down my *18* yr old Lab.

In oh lets see here 3 hours I'll be putting down my *18* yr old cat.

Yes we got both as puppy/kitten..the yr we bought our house.
Also know some of you arent cat people but this cats a Maine coon.Soo we not only had a Lab one of the Smartest dogs there is but also THE smartest friendly cat(all 28 pounds of him) youll ever meet.

Both a HUGE part of our family.

As I was for my dog I'll be petting the Cat as he goes down.

They were here for Us its time to step it up & make sure as Hell I'm there for them!

Wow, 18 years. You clearly provided for them well.

Best of luck today!

Rain Man
08-17-2006, 08:50 AM
My wife says that when our cats go, she wants to have them stuffed and put on wheels so she can pull them around the house on a leash.

If I go first, I think she has plans to stuff me and use me as a TV stand, which I think would be pretty cool.

Lzen
08-17-2006, 08:53 AM
Sorry for your loss, hawkchief. Pets are wonderful friends. Dogs especially so. I thought I was going to have to put down my 12 year old cocker/germanshepherd/mix earlier this summer. She got hit by a car and broke her front leg. Luckily, the vet was able to fix it and she healed, albeit a little more slowly than a younger dog. This dog has been so wonderful with the kids. She absolutely loves everyone. I'll be sad when her time is done.

ck_IN
08-17-2006, 08:56 AM
<i>Then about 6 weeks ago he walked off into the woods and never came home. In a way, I'm glad. I could never have put him down. </i>

What an amazing story. Dogs are so wonderful. When my 16yr old Cocker Spaniel was on her last legs she stopped eating and drinking. She'd look up at me with this expression of 'please help me'. It took everything I had to take her to the vet. I slept next to her on the floor that final night. I still remember how she snuggled next to me.

hawkchief
08-17-2006, 08:57 AM
Sorry for your loss, hawkchief. Pets are wonderful friends. Dogs especially so. I thought I was going to have to put down my 12 year old cocker/germanshepherd/mix earlier this summer. She got hit by a car and broke her front leg. Luckily, the vet was able to fix it and she healed, albeit a little more slowly than a younger dog. This dog has been so wonderful with the kids. She absolutely loves everyone. I'll be sad when her time is done.

Thanks, and hopefully yours will last several more years.

ck_IN
08-17-2006, 08:58 AM
<i>My wife says that when our cats go, she wants to have them stuffed and put on wheels so she can pull them around the house on a leash.</i>

That's probably the only way to get a cat to do where you want, when you want.

TrickyNicky
08-17-2006, 08:58 AM
Yeah it is tough. I had a mini Schnauzer who we had to put down when she was 18 years old. It got to the point where she was near blind and deaf and couldn't even make it to the backyard door to relieve herself. You could tell she was ashamed of herself when we would find out about it too. Saddest thing ever to see her mope back to her bed so ashamed.

It wasn't worth it to let her suffer like that so we had her put down.

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Pets are wonderful friends. Dogs especially so.
Dogs are absolute wonderful, but a cat can be as good a friend and as close to anyone as a dog. They just have completely different personalities. My cats both sleep with my wife and I, sit on our laps while we watch TV... the one I've had longer (7 years) wants to nuzzle up under my chin at night and is particularly attentive when I don't feel good. Ask anyone in my family and they'll tell you Rosie is as attached to me as any dog could be to their owner.

I sincerely hope I never have to put her down, but I know if I do it will be one of the hardest things I've ever done. Threads like these make think about that and it brings tears to my eyes every time. Lzen, I hope you have some wonderful times with your dog.

I've never had to go through what you're going through right now hawkchief, but you have my deepest condolences.

WilliamTheIrish
08-17-2006, 09:00 AM
My wife says that when our cats go, she wants to have them stuffed and put on wheels so she can pull them around the house on a leash.

If I go first, I think she has plans to stuff me and use me as a TV stand, which I think would be pretty cool.

*Tangent:

My Dad used to tell stories of real Irish wakes. Seems in his day the wake actually took place at the deceased's home. (at least in Blaine, Ks it did).

Anyway, as the evening wore on and the booze did also, it was common to remove the deceased from the casket and seat him in his favorite chair. Or wherever he was most likely to be found on a Saturday night. They would continue to raise their glasses to him untill the wee hours.

It's too bad that tradition went away. It would have been kinda fun to put my pop in his favorite chair and put a Pall Mall Commando cigarrette in his hand and have him in his dress Marine uniform.

*Tangent done.

tomahawk kid
08-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Yeah it is tough. I had a mini Schnauzer who we had to put down when she was 18 years old. It got to the point where she was near blind and deaf and couldn't even make it to the backyard door to relieve herself. You could tell she was ashamed of herself when we would find out about it too. Saddest thing ever to see her mope back to her bed so ashamed.

It wasn't worth it to let her suffer like that so we had her put down.

I have a three year old mini-schnauzer.

I'm sure that our day is several years away, but I can't even fathom it - or maybe I just don't want to.

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2006, 09:01 AM
That's probably the only way to get a cat to do where you want, when you want.
One of my cats comes when you whistle for her.

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2006, 09:03 AM
*Tangent:

My Dad used to tell stories of real Irish wakes. Seems in his day the wake actually took place at the deceased's home. (at least in Blaine, Ks it did).

Anyway, as the evening wore on and the booze did also, it was common to remove the deceased from the casket and seat him in his favorite chair. Or wherever he was most likely to be found on a Saturday night. They would continue to raise their glasses to him untill the wee hours.

It's too bad that tradition went away. It would have been kinda fun to put my pop in his favorite chair and put a Pall Mall Commando cigarrette in his hand and have him in his dress Marine uniform.

*Tangent done.
I think smoking has been banned in Blaine, KS.

MichaelH
08-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Sorry for your loss. I lost my best friend a year ago this week to Rocky Mountain spotted fever. He was 10 but in great health. The vet did all they could. He died on our living room floor.

Anyway, we got a lab puppy before Christmas. I never had a lab and love the breed but he chews everything. I'll be happy when he's out of the puppy phase!

Rain Man
08-17-2006, 09:07 AM
*Tangent:

*Tangent done.

That would indeed be cool.

It's less cool, but there was an odd article in our local paper a while back about a former Hispanic/Mexican custom of having one last family photo taken at the funeral. They would prop up the coffin so that the deceased was semi-upright and then the whole family would gather around for a picture. They had pictures in the newspaper, and it was a little creepy - a bunch of kids and family looking just like your normal K-Mart family photo, but in the back row the dad is dead.

hawkchief
08-17-2006, 09:10 AM
Sorry for your loss. I lost my best friend a year ago this week to Rocky Mountain spotted fever. He was 10 but in great health. The vet did all they could. He died on our living room floor.

Anyway, we got a lab puppy before Christmas. I never had a lab and love the breed but he chews everything. I'll be happy when he's out of the puppy phase!

Thanks.

You are in for the treat of your life once the chew phase is over. I have had several dogs, but none as docile, sweet, obidient or person-like as Jake. As corny as it may sound, IMO, they truly are a peek into heaven.

ChiTown
08-17-2006, 09:15 AM
<i>Then about 6 weeks ago he walked off into the woods and never came home. In a way, I'm glad. I could never have put him down. </i>

What an amazing story. Dogs are so wonderful. When my 16yr old Cocker Spaniel was on her last legs she stopped eating and drinking. She'd look up at me with this expression of 'please help me'. It took everything I had to take her to the vet. I slept next to her on the floor that final night. I still remember how she snuggled next to me.

Dogs are amazing.

Unlike cats, and a lot like kids, they are constantly seeking your affection and approval until the day they die.

JBucc
08-17-2006, 09:20 AM
It's terrible having to do that. I had a boston that got into a fight with the neighbors dog and was paralyzed and we had to put him down. It's the worst feeling knowing there's nothing you can do about it.

The Red Sea
08-17-2006, 09:22 AM
My Lab was like a baby sitter to my kids.
I swear he helped keep them out of trouble at times.
Most kids learn to walk by holding on to the couch or coffee table.
In my house the Lab not only was willing but wouldnt leave them alone till they practiced with him.

Also My lab as most are Was of a Lassie temperment UNLESS someone with bad intentions was around or someone unknown was at our door..then he was Cujo!

He Was so protective of my kids that when we were rough playing there were times our dog couldnt get passed the protective feeling & I had to put him outside while we played.
But of course I was fine with him being this way.

Protector/friend Unconditional love

Rain Man
08-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Dogs are amazing.

Unlike cats, and a lot like kids, they are constantly seeking your affection and approval until the day they die.

I think cats are a lot like dogs. My cats run to greet me when I get home, they hang out with us when we're in the house, and they won't go to bed if I'm still up. If my wife goes to bed and I'm up working, they'll hang out with me in case I need any help.

I think that people think cats are aloof because a) cats are not as hyperactive and won't demand attention, and b) in many cases cats don't get as much attention as dogs, so they don't develop the bond as strongly. If you give a cat as much attention as you give a dog, they'll behave in much the same way ... only with less drool.

StcChief
08-17-2006, 10:18 AM
I think cats are a lot like dogs. My cats run to greet me when I get home, they hang out with us when we're in the house, and they won't go to bed if I'm still up. If my wife goes to bed and I'm up working, they'll hang out with me in case I need any help.

I think that people think cats are aloof because a) cats are not as hyperactive and won't demand attention, and b) in many cases cats don't get as much attention as dogs, so they don't develop the bond as strongly. If you give a cat as much attention as you give a dog, they'll behave in much the same way ... only with less drool.

MY LAB drools only if I eat in front of her....

but the cat box smell goes on forever....

Lzen
08-17-2006, 10:23 AM
Dogs are absolute wonderful, but a cat can be as good a friend and as close to anyone as a dog. They just have completely different personalities. My cats both sleep with my wife and I, sit on our laps while we watch TV... the one I've had longer (7 years) wants to nuzzle up under my chin at night and is particularly attentive when I don't feel good. Ask anyone in my family and they'll tell you Rosie is as attached to me as any dog could be to their owner.

I sincerely hope I never have to put her down, but I know if I do it will be one of the hardest things I've ever done. Threads like these make think about that and it brings tears to my eyes every time. Lzen, I hope you have some wonderful times with your dog.

I've never had to go through what you're going through right now hawkchief, but you have my deepest condolences.

Well, I have a 9 year old cat named K.C. (a ref. to the KC Chiefs). She is definitely affectionate to me. But cats are different. For instance, my dog(Sasha) will put up with my 4 year old hanging all over her and stuff. The cat, on the other hand, runs when she sees my little girl. Plus, the pooch loves me most of all and always sits on the floor by me when we sit down to watch TV and whatnot. But she wants that attention from anybody and everybody who's willing to give it to her.

The cat is more of a one person pet. Sure, she likes other family members(4 year old excluded), but mainly she wants my attention. And she jumps in my bed at night or jumps on my lap just like your cats.

I guess I just like animals and I'm good with them. Most animals I've ever met have liked me. I'm thinking about getting a boxer. But not until my dog is gone. Heh, I don't need 2 dogs running around.

KChiefsQT
08-17-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm terribly sorry. Losing a dog is a tough one. :(

AirForceChief
08-17-2006, 10:30 AM
My condolences. I put both our aging Poms (yeah, I know, not REAL dogs) on the same day about six months ago and it is still killing me...

My daughter (5 y/o) wants a new dog, but I can't bring myself to do it yet. Putting down dogs has got to be one of the worst things I ever had to do...ever.

Stupid dogs.

hawkchief
08-17-2006, 10:42 AM
My condolences. I put both our aging Poms (yeah, I know, not REAL dogs) on the same day about six months ago and it is still killing me...

My daughter (5 y/o) wants a new dog, but I can't bring myself to do it yet. Putting down dogs has got to be one of the worst things I ever had to do...ever.

Stupid dogs.

Thanks. Almost 24 hours out now, and the knot in my stomach hasn't subsided much. Sounds like many here fully understand and been fortunate to have enjoyed the love between pet and human. Somewhat indescribable, and for whatever reason(s) the pain of their loss is very sharp. IMO it's largely due to their innocence, dependency and unbridled/unwavering friendship. Everyones' thougts are very much appreciated.

bogie
08-17-2006, 11:23 AM

This is true. Sorry for your sorrow.

htismaqe
08-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Poms (yeah, I know, not REAL dogs)

SHUTCHO MOUTH

I gotta Chi-hoowah-hoowah and a Yorkie...

Count Zarth
08-17-2006, 11:31 AM
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2353/chief6ei9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7916/chiefbigvz7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2927/chief2xw2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

tomahawk kid
08-17-2006, 11:33 AM
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2353/chief6ei9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7916/chiefbigvz7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2927/chief2xw2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Good looking pooch......

Rain Man
08-17-2006, 11:48 AM
SHUTCHO MOUTH

I gotta Chi-hoowah-hoowah and a Yorkie...

Did you buy your Chi-hoowah-hoowah from Chy Chy Rod-ree-gwez?

ChiefFan31
08-17-2006, 11:55 AM

mmaddog

Hmmm, somehow I pictured Maddog being a little more intimidating that a Shitzu-Pekingnese :)

Hog Farmer
08-17-2006, 01:24 PM
I just put down a dog last week. He got to where he couldn't hardly walk. Seems the duct tape started cutting off his circulation.

Fire Me Boy!
08-17-2006, 01:27 PM
I just put down a dog last week. He got to where he couldn't hardly walk. Seems the duct tape started cutting off his circulation.
That's in extremely poor taste.

Hog Farmer
08-17-2006, 01:46 PM
That's in extremely poor taste.

You must think I'm lying! My wife picked the dog up at the pound about a month ago. We took ti to the farm and turned it loose because the lady at the pound said that it was an inside dog and had never been outside in its life. The first day it got hit by a tractor and was limping around so I chased it down on the 4-wheeler and accidently ran over it again. I think I broke its back but couldn't tell for sure. I took it to my friend who runs a hardware store and he said there was no use takin it to a vet cause it would probably just pick up an infection at the clinic.

So he suggested wrapping Duct tape around the back legs and securing them to his abdomen so its spine could heal properly. Needless to say things didn't work out. He couldn't make it to the food bowl that I keep in the back of an old pickup truck and he started losing weight. My wife said you might as well put him down, so I started calling him a loser, she said no I mean you're gonna have to kill him. Therefore, I dusted off the ole 10 guage and the rest is history. I really didn't want a teacup poodle anyway.

Count Zarth
08-17-2006, 01:52 PM
My wife said you might as well put him down, so I started calling him a loser, she said no I mean you're gonna have to kill him.

ROFL

So wrong, but funny.

Gonzo
08-17-2006, 01:54 PM
You must think I'm lying! My wife picked the dog up at the pound about a month ago. We took ti to the farm and turned it loose because the lady at the pound said that it was an inside dog and had never been outside in its life. The first day it got hit by a tractor and was limping around so I chased it down on the 4-wheeler and accidently ran over it again. I think I broke its back but couldn't tell for sure. I took it to my friend who runs a hardware store and he said there was no use takin it to a vet cause it would probably just pick up an infection at the clinic. So he suggested wrapping Duct tape around the back legs and securing them to his abdomen so its spine could heal properly. Needless to say things didn't work out. He couldn't make it to the food bowl that I keep in the back of an old pickup truck and he started losing weight. My wife said you might as well put him down, so I started calling him a loser, she said no I mean you're gonna have to kill him. Therefore, I dusted off the ole 10 guage and the rest is history. I really didn't want a teacup poodle anyway.

I was preparing to berate you and call you all sorts of explatives until I read the very last part about it being a teacup poodle. ROFL

Gonzo
08-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Sophie, my newest brittany:

tomahawk kid
08-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Sophie, my newest brittany:

What are the pros / cons of that breed overall?

I've always thought they were pretty cool dogs........

Gonzo
08-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Me and Jessie, (Sophies half-sister).

Hog Farmer
08-17-2006, 02:06 PM

Pros- Good Protection, Fast Learners, Very Athletic, can run a 4.0, 40

Cons- They get horny as hell and try to **** everything

tomahawk kid
08-17-2006, 02:11 PM
Pros- Good Protection, Fast Learners, Very Athletic, can run a 4.0, 40

Cons- They get horny as hell and try to **** everything

Even the females after they're fixed?

Gonzo
08-17-2006, 02:14 PM

Like any dog, it all weighs on their personality. My father and I have had the same bloodline of brits. for about 37 years now. (He wrote a book about the original). I personally will never own another breed. I like most dogs but this breed in particular is a top-teir. They are playful almost all of their life. Jessie is 10 years old and still plays all day every day. They are smart (my dad's 8 week old already retrieves and is house broken)
Sophie and I scored the following game last year if you're a hunter

60 Phesant
16 Grouse
2 turkey
25 Quail
2 rabbits (I did not shoot she is really quick)
45 Dove.

That's all with one dog. My father nearly doubled those numbers with the other two dogs.

They are great house-dogs as well. Jessie will not let anyone come near my wife until I say "Okay".
Bonnie (the original) watched me like a hawk when I was a kid.
The only thing to be weary of is, this breed requires a lot of attention the first year or so. If you don't have time, you should probably consider other breeds,

tomahawk kid
08-17-2006, 02:17 PM
Like any dog, it all weighs on their personality. My father and I have had the same bloodline of brits. for about 37 years now. (He wrote a book about the original). I personally will never own another breed. I like most dogs but this breed in particular is a top-teir. They are playful almost all of their life. Jessie is 10 years old and still plays all day every day. They are smart (my dad's 8 week old already retrieves and is house broken)
Sophie and I scored the following game last year if you're a hunter

60 Phesant
16 Grouse
2 turkey
25 Quail
2 rabbits (I did not shoot she is really quick)
45 Dove.

That's all with one dog. My father nearly doubled those numbers with the other two dogs.

They are great house-dogs as well. Jessie will not let anyone come near my wife until I say "Okay".
Bonnie (the original) watched me like a hawk when I was a kid.
The only thing to be weary of is, this breed requires a lot of attention the first year or so. If you don't have time, you should probably consider other breeds,

Thanks for the info.

Is the extra attention in year mostly due to excess energy - i.e. digging in the yard, chewing the furniture etc.?

By your description, I would assume they're good with kids......

Chief Henry
08-17-2006, 02:47 PM

It was the day after Memorial Day 2005. We had to put our dog down that day. It was one of the hardest things I've gone through in my adult life. Pets are incredible. We love them. Good luck to you and your family.

Gonzo
08-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the info.

Is the extra attention in year mostly due to excess energy - i.e. digging in the yard, chewing the furniture etc.?

By your description, I would assume they're good with kids......

They are great with kids. They will test their boundries right away but all in all they are well-behaved. They do have a lot of energy but as long as they have somthing to occupy them (I.E. toys and rawhide chews etc.) They will leave your furniture alone. I highly reccomend a Female. They are far more docile then males.

Gonzo
08-17-2006, 03:07 PM
It was the day after Memorial Day 2005. We had to put our dog down that day. It was one of the hardest things I've gone through in my adult life. Pets are incredible. We love them. Good luck to you and your family.

They take the time you can spare, the food you can spare and the love you can spare. In return they give you everything.

hawkchief
08-17-2006, 03:22 PM
They take the time you can spare, the food you can spare and the love you can spare. In return they give you everything.

Great words to describe arguably the best animal on the planet. Sorry to hear about your bird dog.

steve7
08-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Hawk- Sorry to hear about your lab. I friend passed this along to me when I had to put mine down....

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

I'm sure your lab had a great life.

hawkchief
08-17-2006, 10:02 PM
Hawk- Sorry to hear about your lab. I friend passed this along to me when I had to put mine down....

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

I'm sure your lab had a great life.

Thanks, Steve. I just printed out a copy to set on my 7 yr old daughters dresser for her to read when she wakes up in the morning. She is really struggling with this, and I know it will help her. Much appreciated!

SBK
08-19-2006, 02:47 AM
That's awful. How old was he?

They can't wake up the dog in that situation?

Well, he was older than we originally thought. He showed up at my moms neighbors house and they didn't want to keep him. They called the previous owner and he said he had found him too and didn't really want him back.

So since my wife had just lost a dog we got him. He was well behaved, and very loyal, even though we hadn't had him long at all.

The problem was he got these nasty boners that would leave residue on the furniture. We had about enough of that and were told that choppin off his nuts would cure that problem. So we took him in, and he died on the table. The vet used all kinds of stuff to raise his blood pressure, but the poor guy just didn't have the will to go on if he couldn't hit the neighborhood tramps I guess.

That sucked big time.

The strange thing was when we took our puppy in to get neutered, which was maybe 2-3 months TOPS after our old dog died we were pretty worried. When I picked him up the vet told me to be careful with him, and not to run him and things. I brought our pup in the house, he wasn't 5 months old yet and he freakin tore off on a dead sprint and cleared the whole freakin couch. Didn't touch any of it.

I'll never figure out how one dog can't live through that surgery and another can leap an oversized couch in a single bound while still being groggy from his surgery. ROFL

Since others have left pics, the first one is of Cooper, the poor dog that died, the 2nd is Barkley. My wife named him before we knew that his name would fit him perfect.

Cooper
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f301/joshbickford/IMG_0339.jpg

Barkley
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f301/joshbickford/Barky.jpg

Barkley on the couch he cleared when he was 2/3 this size (and before we put it up against the wall)
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f301/joshbickford/IMG_0481.jpg

Mojo Rising
08-19-2006, 05:02 AM
I had to put my Black Lab, Mojo, down about 3 years ago. I was almost the hardest thing I've had to do in my life. He was a great dog.

I know what you're going through and it aint easy. Remember your dog at his best.

Is there a story that tells the dog's personality? There usually is with labs.

Moooo
08-19-2006, 05:05 AM
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7916/chiefbigvz7.jpg

Business dog rep...

Moooo

Bwana
08-19-2006, 05:49 AM
Sorry to hear that Hawk. I have been there a few times and it never gets easier. It sounds like you had 12 great years with him.

Oxford
08-19-2006, 06:09 AM

Been there too. RIP Dillard, aka "The Big Guy"

Sometimes I'm not sure whom has the better traits, people or dogs. Then our lab goes on a plastic eating binge!

RedandGold
08-19-2006, 06:48 AM
We lost our German Shepherd last weekend. He was only 4 and died in his sleep last Friday night.

What was sad was that he had acted like he had a flu-like virus for only a couple of days prior, but was acting like he was getting better. He remained active and drank plenty of water, so neither my wife nor I thought that it was anything serious. Then we woke up Saturday morning to find him dead in our living room.

My wife's grandparents are wonderful people, and they were kind enough to let us bury him on their farm that morning.

tomahawk kid
08-19-2006, 06:55 AM
They are great with kids. They will test their boundries right away but all in all they are well-behaved. They do have a lot of energy but as long as they have somthing to occupy them (I.E. toys and rawhide chews etc.) They will leave your furniture alone. I highly reccomend a Female. They are far more docile then males.

Thanks again.

Hog Farmer
04-08-2009, 11:56 AM
I lost my car keys , Damn!