PDA

View Full Version : Maybe GM Moore's first bad decision?

Marco Polo
08-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Royals' Grudzielanek gets extension for 2007 (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=2042)

Mark Grudzielanek's contract extension with the Royals is worth $4 million and includes a player option for the 2008 season at $4 million to $4.5 million, depending on plate appearances next year.
It sounded like a bad idea before we knew about the player option. Now it's quite a bit worse. There wasn't a team in baseball willing to give Grudzielanek $8 million over two years last winter. His big game tonight upped his OPS to 734, but that's still down from 779 in 2004 and 741 last year. He's played in 140 games once this decade, and since he's 36, he's only likely to get more fragile. There just isn't any upside at all here. He might be a $4 million player right now, but there's nowhere for him to go but down.

I like him for this year and next, but 2008 at $4 million? Surely there would be someone else we could get by then. Just my $.02.

BigChiefFan
08-17-2006, 09:15 AM
He's one of the best infielder's in the game. This is a GREAT move-I'm not sure why anybody would be displeased or should I assume you PREFER Carlos Febles at 2nd base?

tyton75
08-17-2006, 09:15 AM
I like the move... he is a proven vet and we don't have anyone in the pipeline worth a damn to play 2nd.. maybe he can be the leader that Sweeney never was

petegz28
08-17-2006, 09:16 AM
the guy has committed 3 errors, plays every game and we have 1 1/2 months left of ball.

Besides he hits .275-.300 consistantly.....

TERRIBLE F*CKING DECISION MOORE!

Valiant
08-17-2006, 09:17 AM
The guy SHOULD win the gold glove this year, with our team... He brings solid veteran leadership to the infield..

ChiTown
08-17-2006, 09:17 AM
You have to have some veteran leadership on the team. That, and we don't have ANYONE in the Minors who can man down 2b everyday.

I REALLY like this move. Now, if we can dump Sweeney, Samders and Berroa, I'll be a happy man.

RockChalk
08-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Don't be shocked to see this infield in 2007.
3b - Gordon, SS - Gruds, 2b - Teahen, 1b - Shealy

Great move by Dayton. Allard would've traded him to Detroit for a Class A relief pitcher. Go to a game and watch Gruds play every inning. Doesn't matter if we're up 10 or down 10, he plays at 110% and plays the game right.

Cochise
08-17-2006, 09:27 AM
$4 million doesn't buy you an all-star player on the open market. I'm not convinced that's so much above his market value. For a team that will likely be sorely lacking in any kind of veteran leadership after this season, it sounds like money well spent.

Isn't this what people wanted, anyways? The Royals throwing money at people who could play on playoff teams?

SCTrojan
08-17-2006, 09:32 AM
Count me among those who think that it is a good move. It shows that Moore is thinking about improving the team along all lines. The team needs veteran leadership and Grudz said all the right things about wanting to stay with the team. I think other teams wouldn't mind having a guy like him, and it reflects well on the organization that someone of his caliber is willing to stay in KC.

Put it another way, the Royals paid $4 million for Juan Gonzalez once. Which is the better investment?

ChiTown
08-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Count me among those who think that it is a good move. It shows that Moore is thinking about improving the team along all lines. The team needs veteran leadership and Grudz said all the right things about wanting to stay with the team. I think other teams wouldn't mind having a guy like him, and it reflects well on the organization that someone of his caliber is willing to stay in KC.

Put it another way, the Royals paid $4 million for Juan Gonzalez once. Which is the better investment?

They're paying $5MM for Reggie Sanders...........not a good investment.

Sure-Oz
08-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Im happy with the re-signing, the guy has been solid on offense and defense, you can't ask for much more. We need a vet or 2 around that can actually play.

beavis
08-17-2006, 09:56 AM
It's a great move. We don't have anyone else even remotely close to being ready to play 2b. This will add a little stability to the position for the next couple of years.

FWIW, I think the dip in his OPS may have something to do with the lack of protection around him in the lineup. Pitchers don't really fear anyone in our lineup, except maybe Teahan.

sedated
08-17-2006, 10:01 AM
It's a good move.

great glove,
doesn't miss games (hasn't this year),
solid bat,
good speed for an old guy,
club-house leader,
can fill in at SS when angel has his head up his ass

unless he drops off considerably, it'll be great to have him for 2 more years

ChiefsFan4Life
08-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Maybe a bad decision?

Are you kidding? This was a GREAT move

ChiTown
08-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Don't be shocked to see this infield in 2007.
3b - Gordon, SS - Gruds, 2b - Teahen, 1b - Shealy

Great move by Dayton. Allard would've traded him to Detroit for a Class A relief pitcher. Go to a game and watch Gruds play every inning. Doesn't matter if we're up 10 or down 10, he plays at 110% and plays the game right.

Teahen @ 2b? Wow, I don't see that happening at all. I can see Grudz sliding to SS, if we can dump Berroa.

Cochise
08-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Teahen @ 2b? Wow, I don't see that happening at all. I can see Grudz sliding to SS, if we can dump Berroa.

He's not going to move to second base. It's just internet talk.

ChiTown
08-17-2006, 10:18 AM
He's not going to move to second base. It's just internet talk.

Yeah, I kinda figured. I could possibly see Tehean at 1b, but that will all depend upon the development of Shealy, Gordon, and what they do with Sweeney.

Should be an interesting off-season for the KCR's.

noa
08-17-2006, 10:27 AM
This is a great move. Maybe its a sign that Moore will be able to get David "worthless sack of sh!t" Glass to spend more money.
Also, this move is much better than what Baird did. Baird spent money on guys like Juan Gonzalez and Benito Santiago.

Cochise
08-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I kinda figured. I could possibly see Tehean at 1b, but that will all depend upon the development of Shealy, Gordon, and what they do with Sweeney.

Should be an interesting off-season for the KCR's.

It's just people thinking you can move players around to any position you want and it will work at the major league level. Hey, it works on playstation, why wouldn't it?

RockChalk
08-17-2006, 10:32 AM

An article last week or so said this was a possibility. His old high school coach mentioned that he would be good at 2b. Unless Shealy is trade bait (which I don't think he is seeing Dayton worked hard to get him), then Teahen is got to move somewhere. 2b seems to be the easiest transition.

RockChalk
08-17-2006, 10:34 AM
It's just people thinking you can move players around to any position you want and it will work at the major league level. Hey, it works on playstation, why wouldn't it?

This is not my thinking by the way, but why doesn't it make sense? If the guy is an infielder and a natural athlete, why would playing 2nd base be so tough?

SCTrojan
08-17-2006, 10:46 AM
They're paying $5MM for Reggie Sanders...........not a good investment.

Point taken.

sedated
08-17-2006, 10:53 AM
An article last week or so said this was a possibility. His old high school coach mentioned that he would be good at 2b. Unless Shealy is trade bait (which I don't think he is seeing Dayton worked hard to get him), then Teahen is got to move somewhere. 2b seems to be the easiest transition.

seems like it would be a waste of his arm to be at 2nd.

maybe RF? :shrug:

Butler in LF?

Predarat
08-17-2006, 11:07 AM
This is a great move. Maybe its a sign that Moore will be able to get David "worthless sack of sh!t" Glass to spend more money.
Also, this move is much better than what Baird did. Baird spent money on guys like Juan Gonzalez and Benito Santiago.
Great Point! Grudz does his job, 4 mil is pricey but I guess thats what you have to do.

RockChalk
08-17-2006, 11:13 AM
seems like it would be a waste of his arm to be at 2nd.

maybe RF? :shrug:

Butler in LF?

I have a feeling Butler may be more of a DH and maybe occasionally play in RF.

With Teahen, something has got to give as far as his position goes. You can't get rid of him and Gordon appears to be better for 3rd. Ideally, one of them would go to first, but that would make the Shealy trade very strange.

Demonpenz
08-17-2006, 11:17 AM
Kevin sietzer was convinced teahan could play ss. I don't thin gruz has the range to play full time at ss

RockChalk
08-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Kevin sietzer was convinced teahan could play ss. I don't thin gruz has the range to play full time at ss

I just thought it could be a possibility because he played SS in the past.

I'm still shocked this thread was started because somebody thought it was a bad move.

sedated
08-17-2006, 11:26 AM
I have a feeling Butler may be more of a DH and maybe occasionally play in RF.

With Teahen, something has got to give as far as his position goes. You can't get rid of him and Gordon appears to be better for 3rd. Ideally, one of them would go to first, but that would make the Shealy trade very strange.

Butler will be a DH, but has to have a position. Most of the DH types play LF (ManRam) or 1B. And I wonder if he has the arm to play RF.

Teahan at 2B or SS? I can't really see him at either. He doesn't have the range for SS and 2B would be a waste of his arm. But he would be a great bat in either of those spots.

With his speed and throwing ability and bat, he seems more suited for RF.

Demonpenz
08-17-2006, 11:35 AM
if the thread starter was serious he is probably lumping grudz together with other shitty old FA sanders gonzo etc the difference is grudz is playing at near all star level.The guy can do it all too move runners has some power bunts decent. Just a solid solid solid baseball player.

Demonpenz
08-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Butler will be a DH, but has to have a position. Most of the DH types play LF (ManRam) or 1B. And I wonder if he has the arm to play RF.

Teahan at 2B or SS? I can't really see him at either. He doesn't have the range for SS and 2B would be a waste of his arm. But he would be a great bat in either of those spots.

Teahan is the second fastest person on the team other than gathright. He has enough range for short i don't think it's his arm. You would have a great range with gordon at 3rd

kc rush
08-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Teahan is the second fastest person on the team other than gathright. He has enough range for short i don't think it's his arm. You would have a great range with gordon at 3rd

I think the concern for Teahen at short is the ability to pivot and release the ball quickly and accurately. I have no idea if he can do this or not. Couldn't be worse than Berroa though could it?

ChiTown
08-17-2006, 11:51 AM

Arm strength, for Butler, is not the problem. You have to remember, he was originally a 3b, so he's got a pretty good gun. JHe just needs to get more comfortable playing the RF spot, and developing the footwork and anticipation for moving to the ball. Also, Butler is a hell of an athlete - much better than Brown, who currently man's the LF spot.

I've had a lot of opportunities to watch Butler play, and he's just an amazing kid. He's 20 years old, and I'm quite confident he will develop into a decent enough OF'r to man down the RF spot. Regarding Teahen, I have no idea if he could play SS or not, but I won't discount that idea too much. Again, he's not super quick on his feet, but he does have a great arm.

My Projected 2008 starting lineup:

CF - DeJesus
2b - Grudz
3b - Gordon
RF - Teahen
LF - Butler
DH - Huber
1b - Shealy
SS - FA
C - Buck

I don't see Berroa on this team much longer than another year. I see a FA taking that spot, because I don't see anyone else in the system that will be ready at that time.

I think this is a lineup that can seriously compete, IF, IF, IF we can get some "decent" pitching. jmho

noa
08-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Arm strength, for Butler, is not the problem. You have to remember, he was originally a 3b, so he's got a pretty good gun. JHe just needs to get more comfortable playing the RF spot, and developing the footwork and anticipation for moving to the ball. Also, Butler is a hell of an athlete - much better than Brown, who currently man's the LF spot.

I've had a lot of opportunities to watch Butler play, and he's just an amazing kid. He's 20 years old, and I'm quite confident he will develop into a decent enough OF'r to man down the RF spot. Regarding Teahen, I have no idea if he could play SS or not, but I won't discount that idea too much. Again, he's not super quick on his feet, but he does have a great arm.

CF - DeJesus
2b - Grudz
3b - Gordon
RF - Teahen
LF - Butler
DH - Huber
1b - Shealy
SS - FA
C - Buck

I don't see Berroa on this team much longer than another year. I see a FA taking that spot, because I don't see anyone else in the system that will be ready at that time.

I think this is a lineup that can seriously compete, IF, IF, IF we can get some "decent" pitching. jmho

I would like to see us replace Buck as well and make him our backup. The guy is batting .240 and is a poor catcher.

Mr. Laz
08-17-2006, 12:04 PM
you need to have some consistency and veteran leadership.

i like it .... if we didn't have so many 1st base prospects i would want to keep mienky too.

i'm still hoping that sweeney gets major hot and we can trade him.

beavis
08-17-2006, 12:14 PM

CF - DeJesus
2b - Grudz
3b - Gordon
RF - Teahen
LF - Butler
DH - Huber
1b - Shealy
SS - FA
C - Buck

I'd love to see that lineup. Unfortunately, I think we'll probably be stuck with Berroa and Sweeney for at least one more year. I wouldn't be surprised if Gordon and Butler both started out next year in AAA for a couple of months.

tk13
08-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Really, Grudz should win a gold glove. It'll be interesting to see if the voters give it to him. Last year's gold glove winner in the AL was Orlando Hudson, and he plays in the NL for the D'backs now, so it should be wide open.

ChiTown
08-17-2006, 12:18 PM
I'd love to see that lineup. Unfortunately, I think we'll probably be stuck with Berroa and Sweeney for at least one more year. I wouldn't be surprised if Gordon and Butler both started out next year in AAA for a couple of months.

That's why I said 2008 Lineup. I agree, we'll see Sweeney (if healthy) and Berroa as starters in 2007.

alanm
08-17-2006, 12:27 PM
This is not my thinking by the way, but why doesn't it make sense? If the guy is an infielder and a natural athlete, why would playing 2nd base be so tough?
Because having a good glove at 3rd doesn't necessairly translate to having a good glove at 2nd. :shake:

ChiefsCountry
08-17-2006, 01:05 PM
I say hope Teahan stays hot and trade him for a stud SS and pitcher. Angels have two stud SS in their minor league system.

RockChalk
08-17-2006, 01:22 PM
I say hope Teahan stays hot and trade him for a stud SS and pitcher. Angels have two stud SS in their minor league system.

Your And Idiot

Trade a young left handed bat with speed and power, brilliant.

kc rush
08-17-2006, 01:32 PM
Your And Idiot

Great use of the CP lexicon :thumb:

sedated
08-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Really, Grudz should win a gold glove. It'll be interesting to see if the voters give it to him. Last year's gold glove winner in the AL was Orlando Hudson, and he plays in the NL for the D'backs now, so it should be wide open.

i agree.

only 3 errors (and I think 1 was at SS?)

plus he can hit (which shouldn't matter, but does)

but, *sigh* we're in a small market, and a bad team, so I'm not holding my breath

ChiefsCountry
08-17-2006, 02:17 PM
Your And Idiot

Trade a young left handed bat with speed and power, brilliant.

And aquire a stud hitting SS and pitching depth for a position where we are overloaded at.

Here is the kid I want the Royals to get.

Brandon Wood
http://travs.com/newsite/www/team/roster/?id=6049