PDA

View Full Version : Friday's Topic du jour - Favorite Christmas Movie

Bricky
12-15-2000, 08:31 AM
Mine is "A Christmas Story". When Ralphie says "oohhhh fuudge, but I didn't say fudge" is hilarious. Also when Ralphie's friend gets a beating for teaching him that word.

You'll shoot your eye out

Baby Lee
12-15-2000, 08:44 AM
A college buddy and I engage in the annual war of blinding gaudy X-mas lighting. So 'natch, my favorite is 'national lampoon's - Christmas vacation.'
The scene where Clark is trying to get the lights to work and he's flinging and shaking his bundle of taped-together plug-ins, making up half-coherent curse words. Then the joy on his face when lights up, then it goes out again. . .

Makes me wanna go buy another couple thousand lights.

[This message has been edited by JC-Johnny (edited 12-15-2000).]

Bricky
12-15-2000, 08:51 AM
Christmas Vacation - how about when the sewer gas blows up, sending Santa and the sled into the sky. Then Grandma sings the National Anthem finishing it up with "Play Ball"<P>

shakesthecat
12-15-2000, 08:54 AM
A second for "A Christmas Story"
I love the leg lamp that the dad wins.<BR>

Phobia
12-15-2000, 08:55 AM
JC - that would be AWESOME to have a tradition such as that. My traditions with old friends include such things as golfing and going to Godfathers Pizza for Sauerkraut pizza.

Mark M
12-15-2000, 08:55 AM
JC--
Just seeing Quaid with the drain hose, smiling and waving while saying "Sh!tters full," just kills me. Reminds me of my uncle (don't we all have one like that?).

While I have to agree about "Christmas Story" and Vacation, I still like the original, uncolorized "Scrooge" with Allistar Cooke (I think that's his name). Sure, the story is old, but the acting is great and for the time it was made the effects are amazing. It's not X-mas without it.

MM
~~Boring old traditionalist.

Gaz
12-15-2000, 08:57 AM
"A Christmas Story"

xoxo~
gaz
sentimental old fool.

Bricky
12-15-2000, 09:00 AM
Mark, I hear you. Another movie that we never miss at our house is "It's a Wonderful Life. Maybe corny, but it is a tradition.

The original Bert and Earnie (police man and taxie driver)

mlyonsd
12-15-2000, 09:00 AM
It's a Wonderful Life.

I know it has been played to death but the little town depicted in the movie is what my imagination thinks a perfect place is.

Not only that but Donna Reed was hot in that movie.

mlyonsd
12-15-2000, 09:01 AM
LOL@Bricky. Great minds think alike.

Baby Lee
12-15-2000, 09:12 AM
Mark - yeah, Quaid is hilarious. Even funnier that the 'shi!!er's full' scene is the one where he and Clark are talking in the living room and drinking eggnog. You can see his 'dickey' [no! fake turtleneck, sheesh] under his shirt. A lot of people miss it, but once you notice it you'll never see the scene again with ROTFLYAO.<BR>

Baby Lee
12-15-2000, 09:15 AM
"Can I show you something?"
"I was just... smelling-smiling. I was just blouse-browsing."
"For your wife, or your girlfriend?"
"What? What happened? Whew! I guess it wouldn't be any... wouldn't be the Christmas shopping season if the stores were any less hooter than they-hotter than they are. Whew! It is warm in here."
"Well you have your coat on."
"Yes. Oh, do I? How did that happen?"
"'Cause it's cold out?"
"Yes, yes, it is. It's a bit nipply out. I mean nippy out. What did I say, nipple? There is a nip in the air, though."
"Can I take something out for you?"
"I was just, ahhh, I was just looking at something for my wife, God rest her soul."
"Oh God, I'm so sorry."
"Oh, no, no, she's not dead. We're just divorced. She's history. And obviously she does't wear underwear, and there are plenty of shopping days left until adultery, that is adulthood, which is to say Christmas, as in yule, yule log. Not a log, I don't have a log, but I mean, you know, if I had a log, not in the sense that you think I said I did... Good golly. 'Tis the season to be merry."
"Well, that's my name."
"No ****."
"... These are cut really high on the hip. Look, I'm wearing something similar. See, you can't see the lines."
"Can't see the line, can you, Russ?"
"No."

Baby Lee
12-15-2000, 09:24 AM
Or the sledding scene

"You know that metal plate in my head?"

"Ah! How could I forget?"

"I had to have it replaced, because every time Catherine revved up the microwave, I'd piss my pants and forget who I was for a half-hour or so. "

Bricky
12-15-2000, 09:25 AM
JC LMAO I am going to watch Christmas Vacation tonight. <P>

Mark M
12-15-2000, 09:39 AM
JC--
Love the "dickey" under the sweater. That and the neighbors who keep having crap happen to them (reminds me of my parents' neighbors in JoCo).

"If that cat had nine lives, he just spent them all!"

The cat food on the jello mold is another classic scene.

Anyone still like to see the old "Rudolph" stop-motion animation cartoons? Even with all of the computer technology available, those are still great.

MM
~~Feeling like a kid again.

[This message has been edited by Mark M (edited 12-15-2000).]

morphius
12-15-2000, 10:04 AM
Easily "A Christmas Story" no ands ifs or butts.

Joe Seahawk
12-15-2000, 10:20 AM
Christmas Vacation..

Shi##er's full!

http://content.bubba.org/nlcv/images/bathrobe.jpg

[This message has been edited by Joe Seahawk (edited 12-15-2000).]

Bob Dole
12-15-2000, 10:24 AM
Bob Dole's favorite that one where the guy goes sort of crazy and starts killing poeple. And he gets a tank and starts driving down the sidewalk, and people are jumping out in traffic and getting bounced up by speeding cars, and then he...

Oh wait...that's not a Christmas movie.

Chiefnj
12-15-2000, 10:30 AM
A Christmas Story is the best holiday movie.

A Christmas Story trivia quiz:

1. What is Ralph's last name?
2. What is the name of the Chinese restaurant that they end up eating Christmas dinner at?
3. What is the name of the Aunt who gives Ralph the pink bunny suit.
4. What is the name of the Lone Ranger's nephew's horse?

Bricky
12-15-2000, 10:36 AM
If you are a fan of Christmas Story, check this out:
http://www.wam.umd.edu/~cpbrown/xmastory.htm

Fra - gil - lay<P>

Dartgod
12-15-2000, 10:36 AM
Mine is “A Christmas Story”. It always reminds me of what Christmas is like for a kid; the anticipation of the gifts, the food, and all the festivities of the season. I actually feel like a kid again whenever I watch it. I also love how Ralphie’s dad is always cussing although not one cuss word is used in the movie. You know exactly what he is saying though. It kind of reminds me of my old man.

Mark M
12-15-2000, 10:38 AM
Joe--
ROTFLMAO!!! I'm going to copy that and put it on my Christmas cards this year!

chiefnj--
Are you going to make me think on Friday? These are probably wrong, but:
1. Campbell
2. Isn't like the Golden Eggroll, or something? (All I remember is "Tis the season to be Jawree, Fa Ra Ra Ra Ra, Ra Ra Ra Ra.)
3. Martha
4. Sea Biscuit

Here is another one:
What is the name of the neighbors who own the dogs (those "Sonsa ******* !")?

MM
~~Needs to pay more attention to what he watches.

Dartgod
12-15-2000, 10:46 AM
Ralphie's last name is "Parker"

(ok I cheated and looked it up....sue me!)

redhed
12-15-2000, 11:30 AM
How about "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles"? Or is that a Thanksgiving one? I can't remember. Luv the rental car scene!<BR>

Chiefnj
12-15-2000, 11:44 AM
So far, we have one correct answer on the quiz, Parker is Raplphie's last name.

redhed,
Planes Trains is Thanksgiving.

- Where is my other hand?
Between two pillows.
Those aren't pillows!!

DaWolf
12-15-2000, 11:54 AM
My favorite Christmas movie is Die Hard...

[This message has been edited by DaWolf (edited 12-15-2000).]

DJay23
12-15-2000, 12:09 PM
Without a doubt Christmas Vacation. When my sister and i were younger we attempted to watch it every day of Christmas vacation. We failed. Along with all of the memorable scenes mentioned, I love it when Aunt Bethany arrives and asks if the house is on fire, if Rusty is still in the Navy, if they're still at the airport, and says she love riding in cars and it's not everyday someone moves into a new house. And how can you forget the pledge of allegiance before dinner. I love it!

Even though it's not directly about Christmas, just set at Christmas time, I like "Trading Places" with Dan Akroyd and Eddie Murphy.
"Beef Jerkey TIME!!!"

DJay23
12-15-2000, 12:10 PM
Double

[This message has been edited by DJay23 (edited 12-15-2000).]

scooter
12-15-2000, 12:13 PM
"Home Alone" and "Home Alone 2"........

Just kidding

"A Christmas Story" is great, but nothing beats "Christmas Vacation".

The dickie scene is great, and there is another scene where Clark and cousin Eddie are shopping and Eddie just loads up a huge bag of dog food for Snot. They keep walking and Clark sets a box of light bulbs down on top just seconds before Eddie puts another HUGE bag of dog food on top of them. That one cracks me up every time.

Pitt Gorilla
12-15-2000, 12:20 PM
Die Hard, Xmas Vac., Wonderful Life, and Scrooged are all awesome. The original Grinch and Charlie Brown Christmas are classics as well. Is the Rudolph one the one with the monster and the toothbrush, island of misfit toys, and the dentist elf? That one used to scare the bejesus out of me!!!

------------------
GO PITT!

morphius
12-15-2000, 12:24 PM
For some reason I thought Christmas Vacation was an awful movie, and do my best never to watch it again.

SBT

scooter
12-15-2000, 12:33 PM
I think "Christmas Vacation" is either a love it or hate it type movie.

Clark: Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?
Cousin Eddie: Naw, I'm doing just fine, Clark.

<BR>

scooter
12-15-2000, 12:41 PM
Todd: Hey Griswold! Where do you think you're gonna put a tree that big?
Clark Griswold: Bend over and I'll show you.
Todd: You've got a lot of nerve talking to me like that Griswold.
Clark Griswold: I wasn't talking to you.

Kind of full, lot of sap

redhed
12-15-2000, 02:25 PM
How about all of those 1/2 hour animated Christmas specials? The ones that look sort of like claymation. The characters look like they're made out of wood or something. Rudolf, the Heat and Cold Misers, the island of lost toys, the elf that wants to be a dentist, the young Kris Kringle (voiced by Mickey Rooney), and Kublai Krause (he's king of all the Cossacks, but there are no Cossacks to be found here). I loved those when was a kid.

Thanx 4 'da clarification, nj.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE ON 'DA PLANET!!

GOCHIEFS!*GOCHIEFS!*GOCHIEFS!*GOCHIEFS!*GOCHIEFS!*GOCHIFS!*GOCHIEFS!*GOCHIEFS
*GOCHIEFS!*GOCHIEFS!*GOCHIEFS!
*GOCHIEFS!*GOCHIEFS!*GOCHEIFS*GOCHIEFS!*GOCHIEFS!*GOCHIEFS!*GOCHIEFS!*
BEAT 'DEM DERN DONKOS!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by KCWolfman (edited 12-16-2000).]

[This message has been edited by KCWolfman (edited 12-16-2000).]

Joe Seahawk
12-15-2000, 03:15 PM
http://content.bubba.org/nlcv/sounds/hotter.wav

Cannibal
12-15-2000, 03:32 PM
The thing that I can't stand about all the vacation movies after the first one, is that they constantly replace actors playing the two kids characters. It's really annoying. It reminds me of a soap opera where the characters stay the same, but the actors are constantly shuffled in and out.

The first vacation is a classic movie though.

TheFly
12-15-2000, 03:39 PM
"Santa Claus Defeats the Martians"

It's a real movie, but I'm just kidding...

My favorite has always been, "It's a Wonderful Life"<BR>

Baby Lee
12-15-2000, 06:58 PM
Another 'Christmas Vacation' memory. It just isn't the holiday season unless someone in the family shouts 'look kids. . . reindeer!' when someone cuts us off in traffic.

Mi_chief_fan
12-15-2000, 07:00 PM
Lethal Weapon."Thin is my middle name."

"With your wife's cooking, i'm not surprised."

morphius
12-15-2000, 07:03 PM
Cannibal as a soaps man, have to admit I didn't see that one coming http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

stevieray
12-15-2000, 07:25 PM
The original kids in vacation were the best by far.

Randy Quaid saved the later movies.

As a husband and father...It's a wonderful life, and the Walton movie...

Mark M
12-16-2000, 08:38 AM
"Nightmare Before Christmas" is good just because it's sssooooooooo feaking demented. The look on the kid's face when he pulls the severed head out of the box . . . classic.

MM
~~His childhood explains this post.

Mosbonian
12-16-2000, 11:51 AM
I like the original "Vacation" and "Christmas Vacation" but the "Vegas Vacation" & "European Vacation" both were pretty nothing.

My favorite Christmas movies:

Traditional:

"It's A Wonderful Life"
"White Christmas"
"Miracle on 34th Street" (the original)

More Modern:

"Christmas Vacation"
"The Santa Clause"
"Muppet's Christmas Carol" (yea,yea, I know, I know)
"I'll Be Home for Christmas"

mark
***********<BR>

KCWolfman
12-16-2000, 12:06 PM
Okay, I will be the oddball on this one...

I love Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby and Marjorie Reynolds. Jimmy Stewart is great in It's a Wonderful Life - Capra is probably the best director of the era. Santa Claus vs. the Aliens is a great campy flick. And strangely enough, hearing Boris Karloff read the Grinch beats the hell out of all special effects Ronnie Howard can muster.