PDA

View Full Version : Any Mexicans Here?...

jspchief
08-17-2006, 03:45 PM
... Or people knowledgeable about Mexican food?

What I'm looking for is the kind of cheese that you often find at the more "authentic" mexican restaraunts. They use it in quesadillas, melted on top of enchiladas, and shredded on tacos. It has the look of mozzarella, but has a little thinner consistency when melted.

Is there a specific name for this cheese? Or is it just "mexican cheese"? Anywhere to look for it other than mexican groceries?

Predarat
08-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Is it Monterey Jack?

Count Zarth
08-17-2006, 03:51 PM
I hear mexican women lactate it.

jspchief
08-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Is it Monterey Jack?No. Or at least it's very unlike the typical monterey jack you get in an american grocery store.

Calcountry
08-17-2006, 03:54 PM
I hear mexican women lactate it.No, that would be Goatcheese.

DaFace
08-17-2006, 03:54 PM
If you're talking about the white cheese that many authentic restaurants use, it's called "asadero" cheese. It's typically flavored with some mixture of jalapenos, onions, and salt.

sedated
08-17-2006, 03:56 PM
I usually use cheddar jack on my mexican dishes.
(not that that helps)

is there a cheese called longhorn?

maybe pepperjack?

Calcountry
If you're talking about the white cheese that many authentic restaurants use, it's called "asadero" cheese.Just ask Taco. :shrug:

blueballs
aare the Mexican people native to Mexico
or are they like people of the US and Canada
vast majority a mix of immigrants

penguinz
08-17-2006, 03:57 PM
What is with this racial profiling?

Hydrae
08-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Google is your friend...

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/recipes/puebla/kgqueso1.html

vailpass
08-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Feta (goat cheese) is what you usually get in Mexican restaurants. Good stuff

Calcountry
08-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Feta (goat cheese) is what you usually get in Mexican restaurants. Good stuffSee #5 above.

ROFL

jspchief
08-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Feta (goat cheese) is what you usually get in Mexican restaurants. Good stuffI thought it was goat cheese, but wasn't sure.

TinyEvel
08-17-2006, 04:13 PM
You might want to post this on the Raiders board.

:shrug: I'm just sayin'...

BucEyedPea
08-17-2006, 04:19 PM
No it's not feta cheese which is a goat cheese...feta is Greek.
And you don't want it on your Mexican food. It's completely different.
I worked in a Greek restaurant it's not the same as what he's asking for.

I know someone who knows as she was married to a Mexican and I've seen
at meals at their place. I couldn't answer you right away. It may be a goat cheese, as well, but I dunno.

DaFace
08-17-2006, 04:24 PM
I can pretty much guarantee it's asadero. Just do a web search for "white queso recipe" and check out the results.

And I buy it at Wal-Mart. At my store, they've got it near the deli in the front.

vailpass
08-17-2006, 04:24 PM
See #5 above.

ROFL
ROFL I had no idea.

TinyEvel
08-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Oaxacan cheese is a dry crumbly cheese, sort of like Goat cheese.
The melty cheese you're speaking of is probably queso asadera.

vailpass
08-17-2006, 04:26 PM
No it's not feta cheese which is a goat cheese...feta is Greek.
And you don't want it on your Mexican food. It's completely different.
I worked in a Greek restaurant it's not the same as what he's asking for.

I know someone who knows as she was married to a Mexican and I've seen
at meals at their place. I couldn't answer you right away. It may be a goat cheese, as well, but I dunno.

All due respect BUP I live in Phoenix, I eat in real Mexican restaurants with non-English speaking cookd and weekend in Mexico often. Goat cheese is commonly used in authentic Mexican cooking.

StcChief
08-17-2006, 04:27 PM
goat cheese

Count Zarth
08-17-2006, 04:28 PM
WHAT?

jspchief
08-17-2006, 04:28 PM
I've had the oaxacan cheese and it's simlilar in color, but I don't think it's the same texture.

Asedero sounds like it's most likely what I'm looking for.

Mecca
08-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Before I opened this thread I thought it was going to be about something completely different.....

plbrdude
08-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Before I opened this thread I thought it was going to be about something completely different.....

me too. i thought he needed a cheap roofin' crew

Chiefless
08-17-2006, 05:00 PM
"All due respect BUP I live in Phoenix, I eat in real Mexican restaurants with non-English speaking cookd and weekend in Mexico often. Goat cheese is commonly used in authentic Mexican cooking."

All due respect, But I am Greek. Feta is a Greek Cheese. Not all goat-cheese is Feta. Not all Feta is goat-cheese for that matter. Feta is WAY different from the Mexican goat cheese to which you are refering.

BucEyedPea
08-17-2006, 05:02 PM
All due respect BUP I live in Phoenix, I eat in real Mexican restaurants with non-English speaking cookd and weekend in Mexico often. Goat cheese is commonly used in authentic Mexican cooking.

BUP? ROFL

Are you tryin' to burp? :wink:

Here's what I said near the end:
It may be a goat cheese, as well, but I dunno.

I've never heard of any Mexican goat cheese called Feta was all I was sayin.'
Feta is a Greek cheese.

Saulbadguy
08-17-2006, 05:45 PM
It is definately not goat cheese.

Phobia
08-17-2006, 08:35 PM
There are no Mexicans in Phoenix. Mexicans know enough to go further north. You're thinking of Dominicans.

Fruit Ninja
08-17-2006, 08:38 PM
I am mexican, and my mom's is authentic from mexico. lol. She uses Monterey Jack.

memyselfI
08-17-2006, 08:39 PM
You are thinking Monterey/Pepper Jack cheese or Chihuahua cheese. They are both used and sometimes interchangeably.

Buzzsaw
08-17-2006, 08:40 PM
It's called cotija. You're welcome. Sorry about Herm.

It is a Hispanic-style cheese, known as the "Parmesan of Mexico". It was originally made with goat's milk but today cow's milk is preferred. This cheese is strongly flavored, firm and perfect for grating. It is used in Hispanic cooking, in a manner similar to the way Parmesan is used in Italian cooking. Cotija is commonly used to add a lively garnish to common dishes: simply sprinkle on top of refried beans, salads, chili or lasagna. In Mexico, it is also widely used to enhance the flavor of many savory dishes by mixing directly into the casserole or recipe. In the U.S. it is increasingly popular on pasta. See for yourself how much zestier any pasta or even simple macaroni and cheese will taste with a sprinkle of Cotija. It is typically shredded onto cooked foods, also in salads and with fruit.

http://www.igourmet.com/images/products/150cotija.jpg

Mexico
Milk:
cow milk
Texture:
hard

http://www.cheese.com/Description.asp?Name=Cotija

jspchief
08-17-2006, 08:41 PM
You are thinking Monterey/Pepper Jack cheese or Chihuahua cheese. They are both used and sometimes interchangeably.Uh. no. For the second time, it's not monterey jack cheese.

I'm not an idiot. I know the differences between common cheeses like jack and cheddar.

Fruit Ninja
08-17-2006, 08:46 PM
It's called cotija. You're welcome. Sorry about Herm.

It is a Hispanic-style cheese, known as the "Parmesan of Mexico". It was originally made with goat's milk but today cow's milk is preferred. This cheese is strongly flavored, firm and perfect for grating. It is used in Hispanic cooking, in a manner similar to the way Parmesan is used in Italian cooking. Cotija is commonly used to add a lively garnish to common dishes: simply sprinkle on top of refried beans, salads, chili or lasagna. In Mexico, it is also widely used to enhance the flavor of many savory dishes by mixing directly into the casserole or recipe. In the U.S. it is increasingly popular on pasta. See for yourself how much zestier any pasta or even simple macaroni and cheese will taste with a sprinkle of Cotija. It is typically shredded onto cooked foods, also in salads and with fruit.

http://www.igourmet.com/images/products/150cotija.jpg

Mexico
Milk:
cow milk
Texture:
hard

http://www.cheese.com/Description.asp?Name=Cotija

Thats some good stuff too, especially over some beans, or eggs.

Logical
08-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Monterey Jack cheese

Phobia
08-17-2006, 08:49 PM
I am mexican

Thanks for your application.

You're hired. When can you start?

Electric Chair
08-17-2006, 09:02 PM
It's called cotija cheese.

I doubt that you will find it where you are at seeing that the mexicans on this board don't know what it is. :lol

It's unique and delicious, although usually hard to taste when served properly. That would be slathered in spicy salsa.

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cheese_cotija.htm

EDIT: Sorry, I see someone beat me to the punch. Good luck to your squad. ;)

Rukdafaidas
08-17-2006, 09:28 PM
If you're looking for the white cheese that's used in Mexican restaurants to make white queso dip, it's not available in retail stores.
I work in the food service industry and nearly all Mexican restaurants that make this dip use Land O' Lakes Extra Melt White American cheese, which (to my knowledge) isn't sold in retail stores. Another brand of white american will probably get you close.

BigOlChiefsfan
08-18-2006, 02:08 AM
Might be Queso Fresco:

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/mexicancheeses.htm

Deberg_1990
08-18-2006, 02:31 AM
IM offended.....Shouldnt the PC term these days be Hispanic Americans?? : )

memyselfI
08-18-2006, 05:26 AM
Uh. no. For the second time, it's not monterey jack cheese.

I'm not an idiot. I know the differences between common cheeses like jack and cheddar.

So sorry. I guess the Mexicans I know who own a place are using the wrong cheese. :rolleyes:

Rausch
08-18-2006, 05:32 AM
IM offended.....Shouldnt the PC term these days be Hispanic Americans?? : )

Would you ask a Korean about Chinese food?

Simplex3
08-18-2006, 05:51 AM
You might want to post this on the Raiders board.

:shrug: I'm just sayin'...
...or the Chargers.

htismaqe
08-18-2006, 06:32 AM
Asadero cheese.

Brock
08-18-2006, 06:40 AM
It's probably Monterrey Jack. Maybe cheddar.

chagrin
08-18-2006, 06:44 AM
I am mexican, and my mom's is authentic from mexico. lol. She uses Monterey Jack.

Nonsense, don't you know that white people know more about Mexican food than authentic Mexicans do?

Oh and meme knows someone who owns a Mexican restaurant (Like a good libby, she has to broadcast that she knows people of other races, to show how good she is) so I am sure she knows more than your mother does. :rolleyes:

chagrin
08-18-2006, 06:46 AM

I live in Orlando and eat in Mexican Restaurants with non-english speaking cooks as well, then again I live in Florida - I'm about the only one who still speaks English

Brock
08-18-2006, 06:50 AM
Nonsense, don't you know that white people know more about Mexican food than authentic Mexicans do?

Oh and meme knows someone who owns a Mexican restaurant (Like a good libby, she has to broadcast that she knows people of other races, to show how good she is) so I am sure she knows more than your mother does. :rolleyes:

She knows at least one person of every possible demographic.

Bwana
08-18-2006, 06:52 AM
So sorry. I guess the Mexicans I know who own a place are using the wrong cheese. :rolleyes:Well Duh! I think that was established several posts ago. :)

JSP: Just ask the people next time you go in there........"Hey sport, what kind of cheese is this?" There are a lot of answers on here, but I still don't know if you have the one you need. BTW: I have no clue what kind of cheese it is, but I can tell you that what you thought was beef.......IS N0T!! :eek:

chagrin
08-18-2006, 06:54 AM
She knows at least one person of every possible demographic.

ROFL

Here's one I'll bet she doesn't have in her pocket - Syrian-Irish. I had a buddy up in Michigan that was Syrian-Irish, we're talking from Ireland, not of Irish Descent. I don't know, it was an interesting combo.

jspchief
08-18-2006, 07:37 AM
So sorry. I guess the Mexicans I know who own a place are using the wrong cheese. :rolleyes:I'm not making any claim as to whether your friends use the right or wrong cheese. I'm saying that the particular cheese I'm looking for is not a common grocery store cheese like Monterey Jack. I'm sure plenty of Mexicans use things like monterey jack, cheddar, etc., but I'm looking for something different. It is commonly used in the authentic restaraunts in the Des Moines area, but I'm certain Kraft doesn't sell it.

Don't let that keep you from playing a victim though.

5for5SB
08-18-2006, 07:48 AM
HELLO! You cook to eat the cheese.

vailpass
08-18-2006, 10:39 AM
I live in Orlando and eat in Mexican Restaurants with non-english speaking cooks as well, then again I live in Florida - I'm about the only one who still speaks English

People who don't live in the areas of the US that are infested with non-English speakers have no idea what a problem it is becoming.

Demonpenz
08-18-2006, 10:44 AM
I thought this was going to be about car stereo's

CosmicPal
08-18-2006, 10:45 AM
I thought this was going to be about car stereo's

ROFL

|Zach|
08-18-2006, 10:58 AM
HELLO! You cook to eat the cheese.
ROFL

memyselfI
08-18-2006, 11:13 AM

My parents are both Mexican. Gee, guess that makes me one too. Quantifier, my Mom is only halfsies. :rolleyes: She's has used Monterey Jack as well. The question was not about home cooking but about restaurant cooking which, as those of us who were raised in ethnic households know, can be different.