PDA

View Full Version : A serious question regarding the defense...

bobbything
08-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Maybe I'm just ignorant to the mentality of most coaches towards the preseason, but, why are (were) our two pro bowl corner's playing 10 yards off their receivers? Especially on 3rd and 4?

I understand that coaches don't want to give stuff away and all that jazz (apparently NY doesn't seem to care; considering the reverse, screens, blitzes, etc.), and our offense it pretty basic right now, but is this defense just playing more read-and-react because it's preseason, or is that something that's going to be showing it's head more often. I thought this defense was some sort of "hybrid" defense?

Rain Man
08-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Our team grew up in the modern culture that doesn't keep score so that no one gets their feelings hurt. As a result, they don't know how to win.

Count Alex's Wins
08-17-2006, 09:58 PM
They aren't showing shit. You're going to be shocked on September 11th. She sells sea shells by the sea shore.

CanadianChief
08-17-2006, 10:00 PM
not only that but the defense looked like they were standing still out there and taking way too long to react to the play. Every time the Giants caught a pass the defenders looked like they were trying to decide if they wanted to make the tackle or not...and when they would try to tackle they'd just throw their head at the guys knees and torpedo them not even trying to wrap them up with their arms.

It was a sad night for me but I'm still hoping for better things by the season opener.

OnTheWarpath58
08-17-2006, 10:04 PM
They aren't showing shit. You're going to be shocked on September 11th. She sells sea shells by the sea shore.

Just like we were "shocked" on September 11th last year.....

That worked out well......

Call me chicken little all you want....

Preseason or not, this defense has no confidence......until they gain some, they won't be successful, IMO.

Count Alex's Wins
08-17-2006, 10:05 PM

Um, are you saying the defense didn't play well against the Jets?

Rudy lost the toss
08-17-2006, 10:05 PM
You play to not lose the game. and you don't lose by not giving up the big play. The other teams may score, but dammit, it'll take them 8 minutes to do so. I'm looking forward to losing the Time of Possession 40 minutes to 20 minutes every game.

whoman69
08-17-2006, 11:18 PM
The only bright point is that it doesn't look like Palmer will be ready, or if he does play, he won't have much prep.

OnTheWarpath58
08-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Um, are you saying the defense didn't play well against the Jets?

No....exactly the opposite. There wasn't a soul who showed up to Arrowhead for that game expecting a shutout.(Basically)

The result WAS shocking. Point being...we were shocked in the opener and were hyped to think they COULD be better.

Then, as the season progressed, the defense regressed.

jspchief
08-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Read my thread about rewatching the game.

The CBs playing soft wasn't the biggest problem. It was our use of a base4-3 against their 3 WR set. we had LBs covering Burress or Toomer on numerous occasions. Makes for easy presnap QB reads, and quick 8 yard completions.

carlos3652
08-17-2006, 11:27 PM

That worked out well......

Call me chicken little all you want....

Preseason or not, this defense has no confidence......until they gain some, they won't be successful, IMO.

2005 PreSeason:

Aug 12 @Minnesota Lost 16-27 (Half time score 20-3 Minn)
Aug 20 Arizona Lost 17-24
Aug 27 Seattle Lost 17-23
Sep 2 @St. Louis Lost 23-27

RS
Sep 11 - N.Y. Jets - W (27-7)
Sep 18 - at Oakland - W (23-17)

2006 Preseason:

Aug 12 @Houston Lost 14-24
Aug 17 @N.Y. Giants Lost 0-17
Aug 26 St. Louis 8:30pm
Aug 31 New Orleans 8:30pm

????

How are we worse from last year in Preseason????? We finished 10-6 after 0-4 in the PS

Mecca
08-17-2006, 11:28 PM
2005 PreSeason:

Aug 12 @Minnesota Lost 16-27 (Half time score 20-3 Minn)
Aug 20 Arizona Lost 17-24
Aug 27 Seattle Lost 17-23
Sep 2 @St. Louis Lost 23-27

RS
Sep 11 - N.Y. Jets - W (27-7)
Sep 18 - at Oakland - W (23-17)

2006 Preseason:

Aug 12 @Houston Lost 14-24
Aug 17 @N.Y. Giants Lost 0-17
Aug 26 St. Louis 8:30pm
Aug 31 New Orleans 8:30pm

????

How are we worse from last year in Preseason????? We finished 10-6 after 0-4 in the PS

The starters looked better in last years games, atleast I thought they did. There were bright spots to take from, there were some positives. So far this year I've yet to see anything good from the starters or anything to be positive about.

noa
08-17-2006, 11:33 PM
Read my thread about rewatching the game.

The CBs playing soft wasn't the biggest problem. It was our use of a base4-3 against their 3 WR set. we had LBs covering Burress or Toomer on numerous occasions. Makes for easy presnap QB reads, and quick 8 yard completions.

Well, if we're lucky, we won't have to worry too much about covering 3 WRs. We play 6 games against the AFC West and the Faiders and Dungver will have a hard enough time keeping 3 WRs happy, and SD doesn't even have 3 WRs to worry about, so all that matters is whether we can cover 3 WR in games out of the conference, and I have to believe we'll be able to do it for at least a few games.

OnTheWarpath58
08-17-2006, 11:35 PM
The starters looked better in last years games, atleast I thought they did. There were bright spots to take from, there were some positives. So far this year I've yet to see anything good from the starters or anything to be positive about.

Thank you.

I could give a shit if they end up 0-4 again.

What I do care about is seeing some improvement over those four games. From everyone: Starters to scrubs. Preseason or not, these guys have a job to do.

Right now, save a select few, everyone sucks. They have two games to get it together.

Everyone wants to say these games are just practice.....

JMO, you play how you practice. Practice makes perfect, blah, blah.

The regular season is three weeks away, and the "practice" has been WAY short of acceptable.

carlos3652
08-18-2006, 12:02 AM

:banghead:

Umm not sure how there were more positives in the first two games last year...

the offense scored 3 points in the first half of the Minn game, while allowing 20....

the second game was at home against a very bad Arizona team... we only scored 10 points in the first half... we did not allow any points under the 1st D, but they had fumble Warner and Josh McCLOWN...

I remember these games because I went to both of them, and we sucked ass... so much I decided not to go to the other 2 PS Games...

Whatever... the games where we saw improvement were the 3rd and 4th games, even though we lost, our starters looked very sharp...

I expect the same this year...

Inspector
08-18-2006, 07:12 AM

Yeah, this is what concerns me.

It was the lack of much from the starters - on both sides - that sort of freaks me out. I keep reminding myself that this is just PS, and frankly the score - the fact that we didn't win isn't my biggest concern (during preseason), but the way our starting lines didn't seem to be where they were last year.

I'm sure they are just pretending to be bad so our opponents will just look past us and not bother preparing. Yeah, that's what it is.

htismaqe
08-18-2006, 07:16 AM
:banghead:

Umm not sure how there were more positives in the first two games last year...

the offense scored 3 points in the first half of the Minn game, while allowing 20....

the second game was at home against a very bad Arizona team... we only scored 10 points in the first half... we did not allow any points under the 1st D, but they had fumble Warner and Josh McCLOWN...

I remember these games because I went to both of them, and we sucked ass... so much I decided not to go to the other 2 PS Games...

Whatever... the games where we saw improvement were the 3rd and 4th games, even though we lost, our starters looked very sharp...

I expect the same this year...

Yep.

People are so quick to forget how bad this team SUCKED in preseason last year, yet we came out of the gate with a MUCH HARDER 1st 4 games and managed to go 10-6.