PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Pro all of the sudden fails activation?

htismaqe
08-18-2006, 09:18 AM
I have a copy of XP Pro that I got from a Microsoft consultant for helping with a big AD/XP desktop migration.

I've installed it on 2 machines, a desktop and a laptop. I've installed and reinstalled it on those 2 machines SEVERAL DOZEN times.

And now, out of the blue, I tried to reinstall on my laptop and it says that the key has been used too many times and it won't activate.

Should I just call M$ or what?

pr_capone
08-18-2006, 01:27 PM
you have PM

DaFace
08-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Not sure why it wouldn't activate, but I've called MS a number of times with activation issues. All they do is ask "Has this copy been installed on any other computer?". If you say no, they activate you.

Probably easier than trying to figure out the problem.

unlurking
08-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Partner license?

M$ has a partner program for $300 annually that gives you 10 licenses of XP Pro. Maybe he has given his copy to more than 10 people?

Mr. Laz
08-19-2006, 02:41 PM
actually one of the updates M$ slipped into it's critical auto updates has a activation checker in it.

if a XP number has been deemed a duplicate ... it automatically makes you reactivate.

StcChief
08-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Don't use the authentication checker....

I have the same deal with XP PRO. Got it from a M$ partner..... I works I don't need to re-check for auth.

I have applied the upgrade of SP2, and hot fixes to it. no issues....

htismaqe
08-21-2006, 07:57 AM
I've had no problems with SP2 on my desktop machine at all (at least I'm hoping I won't if I have to reinstall again).

I just can't install it on my laptop anymore. I went ahead and installed Win2K Pro on the laptop...

ChiefFan31
08-21-2006, 10:49 AM
actually one of the updates M$ slipped into it's critical auto updates has a activation checker in it.

if a XP has been deemed a duplicate ... it automatically makes you reactivate.

Yep, its the latest good old MS Genuine Advantage notification, or Whatever TF they call it.

I have not heard of it affecting anyone. I just have not intalled that update.

htismaqe
08-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Guys, this isn't an update. I'm trying to install the machine fresh, pre-SP1.

Unless you're saying that my other PC has the update on it, which is preventing the install on the laptop...

DaFace
08-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Guys, this isn't an update. I'm trying to install the machine fresh, pre-SP1.

Unless you're saying that my other PC has the update on it, which is preventing the install on the laptop...

Yeah...genuine windows shouldn't matter here. That feature has nothing to do with activation. The only thing it does is disable some Windows updates and install annoying nagware.