PDA

View Full Version : Just watched the game, I think they are going to be OK. Maybe better than Ok.

HemiEd
08-18-2006, 08:41 PM
After watching the game for the first time tonight, I am not as concerned about the team as much as I was before. I read the planet this morning after hearing the score, and got pretty concerned.
I witnessed some good plays by guys trying to make the team and some pretty poor execution by some first stringers.

How about that catch for a first down by Kris Wilson after the deflection, the kid has awesome hands. :D

KcMizzou
08-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Always looking for a silver lining... I guess mine is, "There's no way we're this bad.

HemiEd
08-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Always looking for a silver lining... I guess mine is, "There's no way we're this bad.

Yep, and to be fair, I was watching the game differently than if I had not already known the outcome. I might have busted something if I had watched it live.

Boon
08-18-2006, 09:10 PM

Mine was, "Colquitt looks pretty good tonight"
Not exactly what I wanted to see, but he did a decent job.
Too bad he had so many attempts!!!

Halfcan
08-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Rep for being positive!!

HemiEd
08-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Mine was, "Colquitt looks pretty good tonight"
Not exactly what I wanted to see, but he did a decent job.
Too bad he had so many attempts!!!

I think you are right, he looked great. Crap would have had a great night with any QB on the team but Printers. I think the same could be said for Jeris McIntyre. IMO Smoker is much more of NFL prospect than Printers.

Rausch
08-18-2006, 09:18 PM
McCleon was NOT on the field.

Big positive.

Herm doesn't give a fat frog's ass if we win a preseason game or not, he's the uber-evaluation coach.

This seems to lead teams to a slower start but a better team late...

KCChiefsFan88
08-18-2006, 10:20 PM
I've gone back and re-watched the first 2 preseason games and I'm not as concerned about the offense as I was...

Basically the Chiefs starting offense (the offense with Trent in there) has had 4 drives this preseason. One drive was that 13 play TD drive in Houston; 2 drives were essentially dead drives (3 and out or close to that) and the 4th drive was the drive last night where the Chiefs were driving after 4 or 5 consecutive passes only to have the drive killed by consecutive penalties.

I'm going to give Solari the benefit of the doubt (for NOW) assuming that once the regular season begins and Waters returns and the use of all the pre-snap motion and shifting returns and the presence of 4th string-caliber Casey Printers departs, the offense will look more like the offense of old.

noa
08-18-2006, 11:20 PM
I've gone back and re-watched the first 2 preseason games and I'm not as concerned about the offense as I was...

Basically the Chiefs starting offense (the offense with Trent in there) has had 4 drives this preseason. One drive was that 13 play TD drive in Houston; 2 drives were essentially dead drives (3 and out or close to that) and the 4th drive was the drive last night where the Chiefs were driving after 4 or 5 consecutive passes only to have the drive killed by consecutive penalties.

I'm going to give Solari the benefit of the doubt (for NOW) assuming that once the regular season begins and Waters returns and the use of all the pre-snap motion and shifting returns and the presence of 4th string-caliber Casey Printers departs, the offense will look more like the offense of old.

EXACTLY.

Bowser
08-18-2006, 11:22 PM
I heard a rumor that Jets fans think we are going to suck because of Herm, or something.

blueballs
08-18-2006, 11:59 PM
this team has a lot of talent
to have been that bad

HipHopper4Life
08-19-2006, 01:22 AM
Herm doesn't give a fat frog's ass if we win a preseason game or not, he's the uber-evaluation coach.

This seems to lead teams to a slower start but a better team late...

I don't think that's true. The NY papers always ripped him because he was something like 3 or 4 games under .500 in December during his years at NY.

el borracho
08-19-2006, 02:21 AM
My main concerns at this point are the Dline and the Oline. Seemed like we got dominated both ways at the line of scrimmage. We got no pressure on their QB, didn't stop the run and still got faked out of our socks by misdirection on defense and on offense we really didn't protect our QBs or give our RBs any decent lanes. At least I have hope for the offense but our d could be ugly if we can't generate pressure and keep containment.

HemiEd
08-19-2006, 04:25 AM
My main concerns at this point are the Dline and the Oline. Seemed like we got dominated both ways at the line of scrimmage. We got no pressure on their QB, didn't stop the run and still got faked out of our socks by misdirection on defense and on offense we really didn't protect our QBs or give our RBs any decent lanes. At least I have hope for the offense but our d could be ugly if we can't generate pressure and keep containment.

I think Raush nailed it. Herm is evaluating players in situations and how they perform.

picasso
08-19-2006, 04:33 AM
We suck ass!!!

HemiEd
08-19-2006, 04:44 AM
The third game, for the Missouri cup, should give us a better look at what the team will be like. Traditionaly that is the game they play the starters more with actual game situation schemes IIRC.

Mojo Rising
08-19-2006, 05:50 AM
There is reason to be concerned. When we have lost Pre-season games in the past and have won in the regular season the starters looked competitive in Pre-Season. Then, the scrubs came in and lost the game.

The starters have had their buts kicked since the scrimmage vs. Minn.

The Defense shows no signs of improvement. If the CB's are going to press this year then it might help to practice in Aug. The 2 new DT's are horrible. At least Sims and Dalton stuffed some plays last year. We were in the top 10 Run D.

Bell needs to retire and Fox didn't look much better.

On the Offensive side of the ball with the starters in I am reminded of the game at Denver last year. We will be better on the interior when Waters returns, however, we are weak on the edges.

The gameplan usually calls for Green to sit in the pocket and let the play develop downfield. We don't run a 3 step drop - fire offense. Turley is an adequate replacement (lesser of 2 evils), Sampson is not. Green might not make it through the year.

How do we fix it? Here are my quick suggestions.

Unplug the mad genius Gunther and his zone blitzing schemes. Have the corners press and earn their keep. We have given them a lot of $ (and a #2 for Surtain.)

Make sure every defender is responsible for their part of the field. No more.

On the offense the only choice is to go to the Marty Offense. The Tackles are going to be eaten alive if we expect to keep Trent upright for the whole season. Our best players are LJ, Tony G, Eddie K and Michael Bennet (in that order.) Call the plays accordingly.

When we need to get it to EK then run play action. LJ will pound the ball a lot. Somehow we need to design protection schemes that allow Gonzo to be the primary receiver as well.

I feel that Herm is better equipped to run the O (w/o Roaf) than Saunders.

HemiEd
08-19-2006, 09:50 AM
We suck ass!!!

That must taste very bad.

TinyEvel
08-19-2006, 01:01 PM
On the Offensive side of the ball with the starters in I am reminded of the game at Denver last year. We will be better on the interior when Waters returns, however, we are weak on the edges.

(clip)
On the offense the only choice is to go to the Marty Offense. The Tackles are going to be eaten alive if we expect to keep Trent upright for the whole season. Our best players are LJ, Tony G, Eddie K and Michael Bennet (in that order.) Call the plays accordingly.

When we need to get it to EK then run play action. LJ will pound the ball a lot. Somehow we need to design protection schemes that allow Gonzo to be the primary receiver as well.

I feel that Herm is better equipped to run the O (w/o Roaf) than Saunders.

I think you've got some good points here. Look at what happened when we lost Roaf last year, the number of hits Trent took. Just that hole threw off the unity of the O-line.
These guys are still figuring out how to work together and it shows (penalties, their D living in our backfield) and I am concerned that Waters won't be back for the start of the regular season, it could be a while.

We need more stunts, too. It seems like we just execute the basic stuff and hope to pull it off well (and we have in the past), but I see few surprises from our O. We're lucky Trent is a good scrambler.

carlos3652
08-19-2006, 01:36 PM
There is reason to be concerned. When we have lost Pre-season games in the past and have won in the regular season the starters looked competitive in Pre-Season. Then, the scrubs came in and lost the game.

Untrue, last year in our first preseason game:

20-3 in the first half vs Minn in the 1st game...

And then they didnt have to fly home late Sunday night, fly out on Wed and play in NY...

They looked tired, and I think thats why they didnt play for more than 2 drives...

Expect them to play 2-3 Quarters vs St. L

Mojo Rising
08-19-2006, 02:30 PM
Untrue, last year in our first preseason game:

20-3 in the first half vs Minn in the 1st game...

And then they didnt have to fly home late Sunday night, fly out on Wed and play in NY...

They looked tired, and I think thats why they didnt play for more than 2 drives...

Expect them to play 2-3 Quarters vs St. L

Last year after the Minn game:

With all of the Offensive starters returning last year I had no concern about that side of the ball.

I had hope that when Surtain and DJ were fully engaged in the D that we would have a much better D. Interchange Law and Hali for this years squad.

carlos3652
08-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Last year after the Minn game:

With all of the Offensive starters returning last year I had no concern about that side of the ball.

I had hope that when Surtain and DJ were fully engaged in the D that we would have a much better D. Interchange Law and Hali for this years squad.

So you agree that they we tired in Game 2... maybe thats why we looked so flat...

Hoover
08-19-2006, 03:11 PM
We need more play action. We are a running team, everyone knows it, so we need to use it to our advantage. Play action should allow us to feed LJ, and get the ball to TG, EK, and Parker dwon the field. It will also help out OTs.

The play calling in the preseason have been awfull, to mary short drives, gain 6 yards on firsat down, 1 on 2nd down with running plays then we can't convert.

MORE PLAY ACTION

Mojo Rising
08-19-2006, 03:18 PM
So you agree that they we tired in Game 2... maybe thats why we looked so flat...

No. Last year we played Minn. in game 1. The starters didn't see much time and I hoped as pre-season progressed the D would solidify into a respectable unit. It never happened.

I had no concerns about the O except that I didn't expect Priest to last the season and LJ was unproven. That concern was not evident in the Minn game...just the only concern I had about the O.

This year the RT will be a position of weakness no matter the opponent. Turley will be OK against OK talent. Against a Pro Bowler he will get worked (like when Tait tried to play that position.) That assumes his back holds out for the year. If it doesn't, then Black/Sviteck will be a disaster as a back-up.

The D concerned me after the Minn. game last year but I had a lot of hope. I believe DJ made a big play and I was expecting him to be the defensive difference maker.

I also expected Surtain to take away half of the field so we could roll the rest of our coverage to the other side of the field.

This year we added another CB and 1st round D player and I have no hope things will be better after last year and what I have seen in the 2 pre-season games.

How can you explain the performance on Thu. as being tired? Each side of the ball was dominated as soon as the game started. I would agree with you if they performed that way in the 4th quarter on a short schedule...but not in the 1st.

pak1983
08-19-2006, 03:37 PM
so far we have looked like the fuggin brigade

ILikeBigTiddys
08-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Its not looking good, guys.

TinyEvel
08-19-2006, 05:01 PM
I looked at the game again: NO hustle on our D starters.

I rewound the TiVo, and it looked like most of the line was jogging during the sweeps/screen passes.

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that those guys just weren't going full- clip beacause of the pre-season, maybe they don;t want to get injured.. But that doesn't make me feel comfortable.

Somebody holding a clipboard needs to lean on these guys.

BamMorris
08-19-2006, 05:04 PM
[COLOR=yellowgreen]

Tired? How in the hell can you be tired playing 4 or 5 series in two weeks. Jet laged maybe, not yet in football shape maybe. And now the shield is hurt and might not make opening day. The thought of the pounding that trent would take if or when shields finally falls makes me sick.

milkman
08-19-2006, 05:06 PM
I looked at the game again: NO hustle on our D starters.

I rewound the TiVo, and it looked like most of the line was jogging during the sweeps/screen passes.

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that those guys just weren't going full- clip beacause of the pre-season, maybe they don;t want to get injured.. But that doesn't make me feel comfortable.

Somebody holding a clipboard needs to lean on these guys.

Damn!

Where's Todd Collins when you need him?!?!

Deberg_1990
08-19-2006, 05:41 PM
We need more play action. We are a running team, everyone knows it, so we need to use it to our advantage. Play action should allow us to feed LJ, and get the ball to TG, EK, and Parker dwon the field. It will also help out OTs.

The play calling in the preseason have been awfull, to mary short drives, gain 6 yards on firsat down, 1 on 2nd down with running plays then we can't convert.

MORE PLAY ACTION

Id also like to see some shorter pass patterns, quick slants and 3, 5 step dops. Considering that left tackle is a huge question mark right now, Green is going to have to get rid of the ball quicker instead of the usual 7 step drop patterns.

HemiEd
08-19-2006, 05:49 PM
We need more stunts, too. It seems like we just execute the basic stuff and hope to pull it off well (and we have in the past), but I see few surprises from our O. We're lucky Trent is a good scrambler.

I do not remember seeing any stunts or shifts so far in the Preseason. I am guessing that will end against St. Louis.

Coach
08-19-2006, 06:05 PM
I think Raush nailed it. Herm is evaluating players in situations and how they perform.

I suppose that is fine and all, but if were are playing "vanilla", a good team should still be able to make vanilla work pretty well. Even if we are just running straight ahead, we should still be able to at least get a FIRST DOWN. FIVE of them into the fourth quarter?! And besides, it's not like we're the ONLY team playing 'vanilla' in preseason. Every other team is doing the same thing. It's not like we're at some disadvantage because of it.

Baby Lee
08-19-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm reminded of everyone telling me that Hudson Hawk was the worst movie ever made for years, then I finally saw it and . . eh, it wasn't so bad.

ChiefFan31
08-19-2006, 09:12 PM

WTF?? There is some intelligence and football knowledge on display in this post. Did someone jack your account? :D

KcMizzou
08-19-2006, 09:54 PM
I'm reminded of everyone telling me that Hudson Hawk was the worst movie ever made for years, then I finally saw it and . . eh, it wasn't so bad.ROFL That's a good analogy.

HemiEd
08-20-2006, 01:45 AM
I suppose that is fine and all, but if were are playing "vanilla", a good team should still be able to make vanilla work pretty well. Even if we are just running straight ahead, we should still be able to at least get a FIRST DOWN. FIVE of them into the fourth quarter?! And besides, it's not like we're the ONLY team playing 'vanilla' in preseason. Every other team is doing the same thing. It's not like we're at some disadvantage because of it.

I have not noticed the opposition playing vanilla. The Giants ran a ****ing reverse. :cuss:
I do not remember us even trying a sweep yet. I think you will see the real Chiefs on Saturday night.

djrcmay
08-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Oh great, now I dont have to worry. My eyes must of deceived me. I feel so much better now. Watch the Royals and tell me how you feel.

Coach
08-20-2006, 09:23 AM
I have not noticed the opposition playing vanilla. The Giants ran a ****ing reverse. :cuss:
I do not remember us even trying a sweep yet. I think you will see the real Chiefs on Saturday night.

Yeah, that's true, but still, some teams are going to call it during pre-season, and they won't call it again in the regular season. Unless they will, which more than likely they will during the 2nd half of the season. :shurg: