PDA

View Full Version : Posnanski's column

Idahojim
12-16-2000, 12:11 PM
Just finished reading Joe Posnanski's column on the KC Star Chiefs website in which he makes his case for retaining Gunther Cunningham at the end of the season.

I think he did a great job of putting what has faced Gun into perspective. And I think he makes a compelling case for Gun to be back next year.

Well done, Joe. But unlike your colleague Jason Whitlock, I've come to expect reasonable and good work from you.

Let's win out and start the 2001 campaign with momentum and focus!

TheFly
12-16-2000, 12:57 PM
Yes, he correctly described the difficulties facing the Chiefs... I think we were all aware of those difficulties...

The problem is that Gun continued to fall back on the same people and his own flawed thinking that made these problems worse.

So, still, it's Gun's fault he didn't take these problems and turn them into his opportunities... his loyalty and bad decision-making will lead to his own demise...<BR>

milkman
12-16-2000, 01:52 PM
He makes a strong emotional argument for retaining MaGoonther, but in his article he also provides a very good reason to send him packing.
I quote what he writes when discussing the team MaGoonther took over.
"That's the team Gunther took over. And remember, he took over the team late because Schottenheimer waited a long time before resigning, so Cunningham ended up keeping most of the staff. There was simply no on out there to hire"
OK, I can live with that reason for his first season, but what good reason did he have for retaining that staff after his first season? Loyalty? If so, then he has no business being in the position he's in, because loyalty has no place in football when trying to build a winning team. And if MaGoonther is back for another season, will he make changes in his staff, or will loyalty once again get in the way of sound football decisions?
the milkman
Not able to see any good reason to retain MaGoonther

Idahojim
12-16-2000, 02:57 PM
If Gun decided to come back with the same coaching staff next year, I would agree. But I don't think he will.

Can't even imagine it, actually.

Chiefnj
12-16-2000, 03:48 PM
Posnaski's column made me sick to my stomach. The column is proof that this organization is going down the drain due to Peterson. He points out several different points as to why it has been so difficult for Gunther, and all of them are Peterson's fault:

1. Gunther inherited a troubled team. Yes, he certainly did, but who he heck signed all of the convicts and head cases? I love the part where Peterson said "Marty admitted he kind of lost the team". Yeah, it's Marty's fault he couldn't turn a bunch of felons into Super Bowl contenders. Doing hard time in prison couldn't change these guys, but Marty was supposed to?

2. "Gannon left". If you are going to use this as an excuse, it is Peterson's fault Gannon left. Furthermore, the day Gunther signed he came out and said he wanted Elvis.

3. "Didn't sign a back". Again it falls back in Peterson's lap.

4. "Morris got fat". Who the heck thought this guy was a quality back in the first place?

5. "Horn left". We couldn't keep him because of all the money we've wasted with Gray, Williams, Chester, etc.

I also disagree with Posnaski that this team has never quit on Gunther. We came out flat and lifeless many games. We have no direction whatsoever. Gunther fails to take responsibility for his mistakes. Just because Gunther spends hours upon hours working his *** off for the team, doesn't make him a good coach. It doesn't warrant his retention.

Gaz
12-17-2000, 09:26 AM
This might have been a legitimate column at the end of Gunther’s first season, but Gunther retained the Stooges on his own in his second season. The results are obvious to anyone who follows the team. For that reason alone, Gunther does not “deserve” another year.

Then you add in RBbC, stupid timeout & point after decisions and blaming Coordinators after the game instead of correcting them during the game and there can be no excuses for the terrible job of coaching Gunther provided this season.

Posnanski is a year too late.

xoxo~
gaz
done, done with Gunther and the Stooges.<BR>