PDA

View Full Version : Good news concerning Will Shields' health

KCChiefsFan88
08-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Herm on Will Shields' health today:

Q: What about Will Shields’s health?

EDWARDS: “I don’t know right now. He’s got a high ankle (sprain) similar to what Ingram had had. I talked to him today. I don’t know if he’s going to play this week or not. But we’ll see.”

Q: Are you confident he’ll be back for the season opener against Cincinnati?

EDWARDS: “Oh yeah. Yeah. Absolutely.”

The rest of Q/A with Herm today:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/08/19/qa_with_herm_edwards__819/

Aug 19, 2006, 6:38:29 PM

TRAINING CAMP

Q: How was practice today?

HERM EDWARDS: “Practice has been good. We’ve just got to do what we do on the field what we do in practice.”

Q: Why is it? You talk about practice being good; you like the tempo and they’re practicing hard but it’s not translating into the game?

EDWARDS: “No, it hasn’t the last two games. I feel certain it will this week. The good thing about this team is it has character players. They know where they’re at right now; they haven’t played the way they’d like to play. We’ve got to play with some emotion and obviously when you play at home you’re going to have more emotion than when you’re on the road.

“That was the thing we talked about. We know we’re going to play with emotion at home. But there’s nothing you can do about it now, it’s over with. We just have to play like we practice. We’ve had some good practice and I we’ve got to play that way this weekend.”

Q: You said after the game (vs. the Giants) that you weren’t playing together as a team.

EDWARDS: “Together means this: offense has to help the defense and the defense has to help the offense and special teams and you don’t do that when certain things happen. There are some glaring things that have transpired over the last two games.

“The first two possessions on offense the last two weeks we’ve had bad field position and we get off the field. The next thing you look at is our time of possession in the last two games. Our opponents have had it 37 minutes and we’ve had it 22 (minutes). So, we’re not converting on third downs.

Effectively, we’re not getting off the field either and that’s why teams are running the ball on us. If you look at our pass defense our longest pass (against us) is 15 yards in the last two games. So pass defense is pretty good but the run defense is not any good and the reason is we’re on the field too long. Some of that is due to defense. We’ve got to get off the field. We’ve allowed the Texans to run the ball 41 times and (NY) ran it 36 times.

“When you stay on the field and don’t score points it puts us down early on the road. It’s very difficult to come out of that situation. And then what we don’t do is make a play on either side of the ball. That’s why I say the offense has to help and the defense has to help.”

Q: You said you thought the team was resting on its laurels. What exactly did you mean?

EDWARDS: “You get into the off-season and there are expectations for all kind of teams. This team is supposed to do that. That team is supposed to do that. You can’t live off of that. That’s easy to say and easy to write about in the off-season but then you’ve got to do it.

“Now, whether we had won these two games or not…I would have liked to win. I like to win pre-season games. Going into this year we were 15-6 in the pre-season. The only team that had won that many games in the NFL in five years was us (NY Jets) and Denver. I don’t want anyone to think we’re just playing pre-season games to play ‘cause we’re not. We’re trying to win ‘em.

“But obviously when you come in with a new system on defense and a new coordinator on offense you’re not going to be clicking and I understand that. The way we’ve played the last couple of games has been pretty vanilla, too. We’re trying to evaluate players, but still you’ve got to play with more urgency than we’ve played. That’s what we’ve got to do this week.”

Q: What about Will Shields’s health?

EDWARDS: “I don’t know right now. He’s got a high ankle (sprain) similar to what Ingram had had. I talked to him today. I don’t know if he’s going to play this week or not. But we’ll see.”

Q: Are you confident he’ll be back for the season opener against Cincinnati?

EDWARDS: “Oh yeah. Yeah. Absolutely.”

Q: What about Willie Roaf? Have you talked to Willie?

EDWARDS: “No, I haven’t.”

Q: Do you know what he said on ESPN?

EDWARDS: “No. Don’t know.”

Q: So as far as you’re concerned there still is a possibility he’ll play this year?

EDWARDS: “I don’t know that. At this point, I’ve got to get these guys ready to play. That’s my obligation.”

Q: Isn’t it time to put that subject to rest, to put Roaf’s return to rest?

EDWARDS: “I’m not talking about it. I’m just answering your questions the best way I know how.”

Q: You had a lot of players back today: Tamba Hali, Lenny Walls, Michael Bennett, Brian Waters.

EDWARDS: “That’s good and really in the nick of time. This is the third pre-season game and as you know this is the one where your veterans are going to play most of the game. They’re going to play into the third quarter and then get ‘em out. It’s important and I think the veteran guys know that here.”

Q: Any chance Waters will play Saturday night?

EDWARDS: “We’ll see how he does this week. He’s got to get in condition. If he can get some reps that would be good, but he won’t play as much as the other starters.”

Q: What about Ty Law and Greg Wesley not being here and Jared Allen?

EDWARDS: “And (Jimmy) Wilkerson. They were all excused. They had personal things they had to handle and I knew that going into today. They’ll all be back Monday.”

Q: You have a lot of guys who haven’t practiced on the defensive line. Is it correctible from what you’ve seen?

EDWARDS: “On yeah.”

Q: Do you need to get new players?

EDWARDS: “Nah. That’s the ironic thing about playing one-gap defense. If you’re off they’re going to make yards. We didn’t do a good job at times with our linebackers filling in. If you look at what (NY) did: they ran the ball for about 153 yards and five of those runs were about 57 yards and one was a reverse actually. So, we have to play better control of our gaps, know where they are and trust each other. If you don’t they gash you and with the ability to run the ball 36 times they’re going to make a 100 yards rushing. That’s not very hard to do if you run 36 times.

“We didn’t make any big plays on either side. On offense we made only one big pass play so far and that was against the Texans. We’ve got to make some plays.”

Q: Did the offense take a step back?

EDWARDS: “No, I don’t think we took a step back. We were actually in the same mode we were the week before. We did the same thing. We had 10 possessions and punted nine times. We had six three-and-outs on offense. You can’t do that. You just can’t do that because you only have 10 possessions and if you do it six times you’re giving the other team the opportunity. They had 77 plays and we had 44. This offense is used to get 80 plays a game some time when we’re rolling and we’ve got to get rolling.”

carlos3652
08-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Nice find...

Thanks for posting...

Demonpenz
08-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Herm why did you team look like complete shit?

milkman
08-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Wait a minute!

Who are you, and what have you done to 88?

hypersensitiveZO6
08-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Effectively, we’re not getting off the field either and that’s why teams are running the ball on us. If you look at our pass defense our longest pass (against us) is 15 yards in the last two games. So pass defense is pretty good but the run defense is not any good and the reason is we’re on the field too long. Some of that is due to defense. We’ve got to get off the field. We’ve allowed the Texans to run the ball 41 times and (NY) ran it 36 times.

It didn't seem the pass defense looked "pretty good" despite the statistic above. They gave up pass yards just as easy as they gave up rushing yards.

Q: You had a lot of players back today: Tamba Hali, Lenny Walls, Michael Bennett, Brian Waters.

Despite what's being said about having too many preseason games, I believe having 4 may save our team.

blueballs
08-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Jetfan: Herm will let the veterans have
practices off.....he will run LJ into the
ground...he has already ruined the no. 1
offense for the last two years...my pick my
butt in public...he won't play the young
guys....your doomed

Florida_Bronco
08-20-2006, 12:30 AM
Glad to hear that Shields is gonna be OK, I like him.