PDA

View Full Version : What would be some good entry level computer jobs?

luv
08-19-2006, 10:41 PM
I work for a health information solutions firm. The company does several different things, including production type of work. Our IT usually tries to hire from within first whenever a position comes open. Do you know of any other positions like this. Or positions where someone could work while earning their degree? Preferrably nights (evenings), since they would have class during the day.

Simplex3
08-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Entry level stuff is generaly going to be desktop support. You'll either be helping people send email or turning screws on the orders of someone smart.

PunkinDrublic
08-20-2006, 12:14 AM
Would you mind moving to India?

luv
08-20-2006, 12:16 AM
Entry level stuff is generaly going to be desktop support. You'll either be helping people send email or turning screws on the orders of someone smart.
I guess I mean is, what types of companies would be good to get your foot in the door in? Something that will provide income during school, may or may not be computer related at the time, but there's a possibility for advancement in the IT field. I was thinking of something like a bank. You could be a teller, but they have IT personnel there as well. Tellers don't tend to work nights, though. Or an office type of setting. You could be an errand boy or work in the mail room. The company has an IT department. They hire from within first. You may not have a lot of on the job training, but you have earned your degree and have shown some loyalty to the company. That type of thing.

luv
08-20-2006, 12:17 AM
Would you mind moving to India?
Actually, I think they want to stay in Springfield. :)

|Zach|
08-20-2006, 01:29 AM
Is IT something you really just meander into?

Would you want to do IT?

luv
08-20-2006, 01:40 AM
Is IT something you really just meander into?

Would you want to do IT?
I think you have to show an interest in IT. For some, IT may come naturally, but, for others, IT might take some hard work.

Mojo Rising
08-20-2006, 02:39 AM
Send your resume to the local IT contract firms. They should be abe to find you a basic support position on a contract basis (hourly.)

Miles
08-20-2006, 03:47 AM
Unless its something you really enjoy IT or are really good at it my general impression is that its hardly the field it was ten years ago.

I honestly dont know much about it but with health care, maybe something like nursing school or maybe even pharmacology?

StcChief
08-20-2006, 01:21 PM
I think you have to show an interest in IT. For some, IT may come naturally, but, for others, IT might take some hard work.
To make a decent living in IT it takes work......

Skills very with different areas of IT.

Desktop/File Server Admin. Very different than software development.

India/China/East Europe to offshore things is not a real long term answer.....