PDA

View Full Version : New Whitlock - Chiefs fans, be patient. Also, I'm a moron.

Count Alex's Losses
08-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Chiefs fans, be patient

JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

If Willie Roaf doesn’t change his mind, we’re going to need to change our expectations.

We could be looking at a rebuilding year for the Chiefs. There’s nothing wrong with that. You can rebuild in the NFL on the fly. And if you’re lucky, you can rebuild in eight to 10 games and sneak into the playoffs.

If the Chiefs reach December with a 5-6 record, they conceivably could finish 9-7 or 10-6 and be a dangerous wild-card playoff team. Right now, with no Willie Roaf and with Will Shields hobbled by an ankle injury, I just don’t see the Chiefs being consistent or strong the first half of the season.

How could they be?

Herm Edwards took over the team with the idea of fixing Kansas City’s defense — particularly early in the season — by controlling the ball and the clock with KC’s punishing ground attack. Kansas City’s leaky defense can’t leak when Larry Johnson is chewing up 5 yards a carry.

The subtraction of Roaf and fullback Tony Richardson damages more than Johnson’s fantasy football value. It throws Edwards’ overall plan into flux. Edwards wanted to maul opponents on the road. I’m not sure it can be done with Kyle Turley at left tackle and Ronnie Cruz leading Johnson into non-existent holes.

Throwing the ball will be even more risky. Thirty-six-year-old Trent Green can’t weather the beating he’ll probably receive in a pass-happy attack. The Chiefs don’t have a legitimate backup quarterback (I have Jeff George’s cell number).

So what should the Chiefs do?

You’re not going to like my game plan, but it’s the only thing that makes sense at this point. Kansas City’s best player right now is punter Dustin Colquitt, and Edwards should call his number as often as Larry Johnson’s.

My old college coach called it “field-position football.” Three runs and a punt formed a beautiful combination, a winning combination. Edwards should be far more conservative than Marty Schottenheimer lunching at Rush Limbaugh’s house. Colquitt and return man Dante Hall should be KC’s offensive MVPs the first half of the season.

On defense, Edwards should scrap using the Tampa 2 as KC’s base defense. He should let Gunther Cunningham turn Ty Law and Patrick Surtain loose in bump-‘n’-run coverage and blitz whenever the mood strikes. Surtain and Law are KC’s two most experienced and proven defenders. I’d let ’em earn their money.

Law and Surtain could fix the Chiefs’ poor pass rush. If they can cover man to man, Gunther can send Kendrell Bell, Derrick Johnson and the Chiefs’ safeties after the quarterback and crashing into potential running lanes. It’s a high-risk, high-reward scheme. But is there reason to believe the Chiefs can accomplish anything sending their front four after the quarterback?

Also, I’d stick Kansas City’s rookie safeties — Bernard Pollard and Jarrad Page — on the field from the get-go and let them grow up on the job. This defense is going to have to create turnovers. Pollard and Page’s big-hit instincts could lead to some forced fumbles. I wouldn’t bench Greg Wesley. He’s pretty good in pass defense, and on Thursday against the Giants he stoned a runner for a short gain the way he used to as a rookie. I’d rotate Pollard, Page and Wesley.

As the season wore on and the young guys — Page, Pollard and Tamba Hali — improved and the team developed an identity, I’d slowly loosen the offensive reins and hope that I reached the Dec. 3 road game against Cleveland with five or six victories.

The Chiefs will play three winnable road games at the end of the year — Cleveland, San Diego and Oakland. Those three teams, in my opinion, will struggle because of suspect quarterback play all season. The Chiefs’ two home games down the stretch — Baltimore and Jacksonville — will be difficult.

But Arrowhead in December is a monster.

By the season’s last month, the Chiefs could be a decent team. They’ll have to hope that 9-7 or 10-6 will be good enough to qualify for an AFC playoff berth.

Whatever happens, we all need to be patient this year.

The Chiefs were dealt a major curveball when Roaf retired. A veteran team that was trying to make one last run at a Super Bowl became an old offensive team in need of rebuilding once Big Willie decided he’d rather eat chili.

I actually feel sorry for Carl Peterson. Seriously.

ROFL

Count Alex's Losses
08-20-2006, 11:35 AM
OK, just to clear things up...I didn't edit anything in the article. It's all 100% Whitlock. Man is he stupid. Let's scrap the defense we've been building for a month! ROFL

Bowser
08-20-2006, 11:45 AM
:shake:

StcChief
08-20-2006, 11:48 AM
What's the chance KC Star could scrap Fatlock....

Count Alex's Losses
08-20-2006, 11:51 AM
It is truly amazing how someone like Whitlock can knee jerk over ONE PRESEASON GAME...and even moreso, three possessions of one preseason game. Yeah, the second-team offense looked horrible...what does he expect? We have no experienced depth at running back or quarterback, and our backup offensive linemen BLOW.

Two preseasons ago we kicked the shit out of the Rams at Arrowhead. It proved to be a FALSE INDICATOR. Is that what Whitlock wants?

FringeNC
08-20-2006, 11:55 AM
You’re not going to like my game plan, but it’s the only thing that makes sense at this point. Kansas City’s best player right now is punter Dustin Colquitt, and Edwards should call his number as often as Larry Johnson’s.

My old college coach called it “field-position football.” Three runs and a punt formed a beautiful combination, a winning combination. Edwards should be far more conservative than Marty Schottenheimer lunching at Rush Limbaugh’s house. Colquitt and return man Dante Hall should be KC’s offensive MVPs the first half of the season.

WHAT?

jspchief
08-20-2006, 11:55 AM
He's trying to get a reaction.

It happens about in about 15% of his articles. He doesn't really have anything to say, so he throws out comments that will be gas on a fire.

He knows Chiefs fans are afraid of this very thing happening under Edwards. This will just boost the "Whitlock buzz" for a week.

Count Alex's Losses
08-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Seriously. Two years ago, Whitlock wrote an article about that preseason game against the Rams. I'm not going to pay to read the whole thing, but he wasn't impressed. The title was 'Defense's day doesn't tell us much.'

Coach
08-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Whitlock can't even write a decent article. I'm disappointed that he can't even write a article, blasting on how bad Eric Hicks is. :shake:

Count Alex's Losses
08-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Oh no, it's decent. He's got us talking about it. He's suceeded.

I'll give him credit, his articles are always entertaining. I can't wait to read Whitlock.

But yes, he should blast Hicks. I'll go see if he has.

Mr. Laz
08-20-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm a moron.

finally a Goatcheese post that i can agree with

Demonpenz
08-20-2006, 12:34 PM
It would be nice if our first rounder showed up to work once in awhile

tyton75
08-20-2006, 01:08 PM
As far as his statements on the Tampa 2 defense.. I tend to agree with him.. We have 2 very strong corners that are the 2 highest paid players on the roster, I would think they would be very effective going man to man very often..

Psyko Tek
08-20-2006, 01:22 PM
As far as his statements on the Tampa 2 defense.. I tend to agree with him.. We have 2 very strong corners that are the 2 highest paid players on the roster, I would think they would be very effective going man to man very often..

I have never liked cover 2
and since we now have two probowl corners let's use them

we will need to blitz unless we get great improvement from the D-line

I would love to see Bonecrusher on a safety blitz meeting Jake onna bootleg

shut that right the F down

cdcox
08-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Whitlock's suggestions have zero chance of being implemented, but he raises some good points.

I do think that Roaf missing in the running game will hurt more than anyone wants to admit. I think Turley will do an adequate job in pass protection, but his lack of bulk will be missed at the point of attack in the running game. LJ's rushing statistics when Roaf was out aren't entirely applicable either. Black was probably the opposite of Turley: decent in the run game but awful at pass blocking.

Unlike Whitlock, I don't think this team can afford to be too passive on offense because the defense isn't going to return to the glory days anytime soon. We are going to give up some points.

I'm not a fan of the cover-2 either. I prefer tighter coverage in the secondary, with well timed blitzes. Maybe I will be converted by the end of the season.

B_Ambuehl
08-20-2006, 05:22 PM
I t hink he's right about the defense. What they're playing now is basically G-Rob's scheme and everyone knows how that worked out. That D-line can't get a pass rush and can't stop the run playing one-gap. Linebackers can't cover anybody. Guns scheme was improving and by the end of the year last year looked pretty good besides the Giants game. Just when they got the players necessary to really optimize that scheme Herm's come in and screwed everything up with this cover 2.

Count Alex's Losses
08-20-2006, 06:10 PM
No way. Gunther's scheme was retarded. His left and right corner bullshit killed us.

I don't think GROB's scheme was close to the cover 2. The cover 2 is about jamming the WR at the line of scrimmage. GROB didn't want his guys touching anyone half the time. It was also overly complicated. This scheme is much simpler than both GROB's and Gunther's defense (read:massive effing playbook).

Our improvement last year only came against bad teams. We were still a solid defense at home, but when we went on the road, a decent offense could thrash us (Dallas...wotta joke).

Demonpenz
08-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Grob would also rush the corner and drop ryan simms into pass coverage

tfree32
08-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Whitlock is in close competition with Stephen A. Smith for the most useless, pointless, brainless gasbag award.

How the hell does either of them have a job?

Demonpenz
08-20-2006, 06:26 PM
thank you affirmative action

whoman69
08-20-2006, 07:25 PM
Whitlock would be fired if he said he didn't have a clue how to get the most out of this team. That's what all the rest of us are thinking.

KCChiefsFan88
08-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Whitlock's suggestions have zero chance of being implemented, but he raises some good points.

I do think that Roaf missing in the running game will hurt more than anyone wants to admit. I think Turley will do an adequate job in pass protection, but his lack of bulk will be missed at the point of attack in the running game. LJ's rushing statistics when Roaf was out aren't entirely applicable either. Black was probably the opposite of Turley: decent in the run game but awful at pass blocking.

The Chiefs can negate the loss of Roaf on the outside in the running game if they can successfully shift to more of a between the tackles/power running game where that interior of Shields/Waters/Wiegman become the focal point of the running game (in terms of where you are running the ball behind).

cdcox
08-20-2006, 08:51 PM
The Chiefs can negate the loss of Roaf on the outside in the running game if they can successfully shift to more of a between the tackles/power running game where that interior of Shields/Waters/Wiegman become the focal point of the running game (in terms of where you are running the ball behind).

LJ did have good success running inside last year, but in the context of mixing in runs to the outside.

Here are the breakdowns of total yards, ypc, and TDs

Left outside: 436, 6.3, 6
Left side: 282, 4.9, 4
Middle: 680, 5.0, 6
Right side: 140, 3.6, 2
Right outside: 212, 5.9, 2

He already had excellent production on the inside last year. I don't think we can expect tremendous improvement there, especially if we aren't mixing things up. But equal to the inside production was the left side production behind Roaf/Black. Right side production was markedly less. If we lose much of LJs effectiveness without compensation on the right side, LJ won't be as effective.

Incindently, in 2003, many of Priest Holmes' TDs came from running the right side behind Tait. PH's production on that side wasn't as good after Tait left. We adjusted by getting better production out of the left side.

I think LJ will have a good year. But I am concerned about the left side production. Solari and company will need to tweak things to compensate for a smaller, less dominating Turely on the left side.