SLAG
08-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Reviews anyone have them?

Suggestions?

Reviews?

Been thinkin about getting one...

Games ...WI-FI.. Movies.. Huge Screen..

Can I load Linux on to it?

can I load roms and emus for other systems on ther?

irishjayhawk
08-20-2006, 02:20 PM
I had one, but then sold it.

Here's the deal: Get it if you like the cool homebrew features (Coverbuddy, and other programs people have made for it).

Game wise, it's lacking. Wi-Fi is okay, but still, no keyboard and hard to surf the web and stuff.

I'm not sure about linux. I believe roms and emus can be loaded on (Search PSP Homebrew).

Don't buy UMD movies!?! Are you insane? :P

Anyway, word has it Sony is phasing out the UMDs so perhaps PSP II will be better.

Honestly, it was a great first attempt by Sony. I think PSP 2 will be much better. Moreover, they need some good games on it or more of a selection!

SLAG
08-20-2006, 02:23 PM
I had one, but then sold it.

Here's the deal: Get it if you like the cool homebrew features (Coverbuddy, and other programs people have made for it).

Game wise, it's lacking. Wi-Fi is okay, but still, no keyboard and hard to surf the web and stuff.

I'm not sure about linux. I believe roms and emus can be loaded on (Search PSP Homebrew).

Don't buy UMD movies!?! Are you insane? :P

Anyway, word has it Sony is phasing out the UMDs so perhaps PSP II will be better.

Honestly, it was a great first attempt by Sony. I think PSP 2 will be much better. Moreover, they need some good games on it or more of a selection!

would u reccomend saving the $$$ and getting a psp 2?

they are at a local shop for $169

irishjayhawk
08-20-2006, 02:31 PM
would u reccomend saving the $$$ and getting a psp 2?

they are at a local shop for $169

Well, I have no idea when (or even if) a PSP 2 is on it's way. I would assume so, but who knows, especially with Sony and Skype's new phone/combo thing.

So, that is up to you. If it is confirmed that a PSP 2 will come out, I would save for that. Of course, that won't solve your yearning for portable games right now.

Oh, and for what it's worth, a great many people are trading in their PSP or a DS. Apparently, the touch screen and games on there are just heaven. I've never been attracted to Nintendo's selection of games but whatever.

SLAG
08-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Well, I have no idea when (or even if) a PSP 2 is on it's way. I would assume so, but who knows, especially with Sony and Skype's new phone/combo thing.

So, that is up to you. If it is confirmed that a PSP 2 will come out, I would save for that. Of course, that won't solve your yearning for portable games right now.

Oh, and for what it's worth, a great many people are trading in their PSP or a DS. Apparently, the touch screen and games on there are just heaven. I've never been attracted to Nintendo's selection of games but whatever.

I am basically lookng for a powerful handheld to watch movies..and surf the web via wi-fi that i can also run NES.. SNES and GENISIS ROMS on

the PSP's LARGE screen is a big selling point and i need more info on the Homebrew Appl

irishjayhawk
08-20-2006, 02:50 PM
I am basically lookng for a powerful handheld to watch movies..and surf the web via wi-fi that i can also run NES.. SNES and GENISIS ROMS on

the PSP's LARGE screen is a big selling point and i need more info on the Homebrew Appl

Well, to watch movies, you'll either have to fork out $$ for stupid UMD discs or fork out $$ for a freaking huge Memory Stick Duo card. So, that's up to you. THe PSP while it has the ability to play movies, it doesn't yet have a good way to store them. If the PSP had an iPod like harddrive, it would sell massively.

Surfing the web will be hard with the onscreen keyboard, but it's doable. I'm fairly confident emulators will run on it, but don't quote me.

Valiant
08-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Well, to watch movies, you'll either have to fork out $$ for stupid UMD discs or fork out $$ for a freaking huge Memory Stick Duo card. So, that's up to you. THe PSP while it has the ability to play movies, it doesn't yet have a good way to store them. If the PSP had an iPod like harddrive, it would sell massively.

Surfing the web will be hard with the onscreen keyboard, but it's doable. I'm fairly confident emulators will run on it, but don't quote me.

There is a way to use normal memory cards on the psp with some attachment, my verizon rep was showing it to me.. He had 4gig card in it that was not a duo...

irishjayhawk
08-20-2006, 04:53 PM
There is a way to use normal memory cards on the psp with some attachment, my verizon rep was showing it to me.. He had 4gig card in it that was not a duo...

Yeah, but there's adapters, which will cost money plus the "normal memory card" too.

SLAG
08-20-2006, 07:52 PM
if it had bluetooth with the DUN profile then i would have bought it today...

I surpressed my urges to impulse buy but i dont know how much longer i can hold out

irishjayhawk
08-20-2006, 08:13 PM
if it had bluetooth with the DUN profile then i would have bought it today...

I surpressed my urges to impulse buy but i dont know how much longer i can hold out

Yep, bluetooth will most definitely be in the next version I bet.

Deberg_1990
08-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Sony made a huge miscalculation with the UMD disks. Hopefully they learned their lesson there.

Talisman
08-22-2006, 06:07 PM
I don't have a PSP, but I hear load times are horrible for some games. I tried to start a game of Madden on one at Gamestop the other day and after waiting for a couple of minutes on the load screen, I gave up and walked away. The wife and I went over and played a game of Rockstar's Table Tennis on the Xbox360 for about 4 or 5 minutes. On my way out I walked back by the PSP and it was still loading...

Valiant
08-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Yeah, but there's adapters, which will cost money plus the "normal memory card" too.

The adapter was around 20bucks and the other memory cards are way way cheaper then duo cards.. That is why i threw that out there, you still save money and get a bigger storage device...

Wa-Z
08-23-2006, 12:02 AM
I don't have a PSP, but I hear load times are horrible for some games. I tried to start a game of Madden on one at Gamestop the other day and after waiting for a couple of minutes on the load screen, I gave up and walked away. The wife and I went over and played a game of Rockstar's Table Tennis on the Xbox360 for about 4 or 5 minutes. On my way out I walked back by the PSP and it was still loading...

It probably froze...

Wa-Z
08-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Does anyone know how to get snes roms and other programs onto the psp???

SLAG
09-16-2006, 08:10 PM
just picked one up posting from it now pretty damn cool

unlurking
09-16-2006, 09:52 PM
just picked one up posting from it now pretty damn cool
Cool, you should have fun for at least a few months.

Converted every Farscape episode and Seasons 1-8 of Stargate SG-1 to watch on the PSP. Was a great forum for trading PSP formatted and cropped videos, but I no longer really use it.

Gave mine to my son recently. I think I'm just getting to old to play video games. Pretty much never play my 360 anymore either. I've probably read about 40 books in the last 3 months, so I guess I've just gotten lazy as I obviously have time.

Anyway, look for some cheapo MP3 players that offer USB "HOST" features. You can use the MP3 player to transfer files from the HDD to the PSP without having to have a PC.

SLAG
09-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Cool, you should have fun for at least a few months.

Converted every Farscape episode and Seasons 1-8 of Stargate SG-1 to watch on the PSP. Was a great forum for trading PSP formatted and cropped videos, but I no longer really use it.

Gave mine to my son recently. I think I'm just getting to old to play video games. Pretty much never play my 360 anymore either. I've probably read about 40 books in the last 3 months, so I guess I've just gotten lazy as I obviously have time.

Anyway, look for some cheapo MP3 players that offer USB "HOST" features. You can use the MP3 player to transfer files from the HDD to the PSP without having to have a PC.

thanks for the review- anymore info on moving movies over to the PSP? or where that fourm might be

Bowtie
09-16-2006, 11:19 PM
http://www.pspvideo9.com/

unlurking
09-17-2006, 09:46 AM
http://www.pspvideo9.com/

Yep, good site to start with. The forums are pretty good and have a lot of information.

Unfortunately, they haven't upgraded the product in quite a while, and the implentation for h.264 is pretty buggy. In order to get really good vids, you need to be willing to spend a LOT of time experimenting with the different tools. Here is a good site for a quick h.264 guide...

http://www.bontragerphotography.com/psp/

Also check out the doom9 forums. Excellent source of information for all things PC video...

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=100116
http://www.doom9.org/

I also likes the tool from erightsoft...

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

DVDDecryptor has problems with cracking some of the newer DVDs, so a lot of people were using Any DVD last year...

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

I also found DVDShrink to be a quick and easy tool...

http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html

Here is an old (but still good, just doesn't cover new PSP video features) link that explains using 3gp. As a warning, don't look for 3gp anywhere other than the link in this page, they are all rip-offs from the original that charge. There are at least 5 companies now selling someone else's work (and using the same damn name).

http://www.engadget.com/2004/12/21/how-to-get-videos-and-dvds-onto-your-sony-playstation-portable/

Unfortunately, I can't find the PSP forum where a lot of people shared clips anymore. Probably taken down. This should get you started though.

SLAG
09-18-2006, 12:43 AM
shouldnt i be able to DL MP4 Files and play with ease?

unlurking
09-18-2006, 09:02 AM
shouldnt i be able to DL MP4 Files and play with ease?
Nope. FPS and resolution need to be taken into consideration. Also there is a specific required file name format. Some you may be able to play simply by renaming the file, but not always. Also, these tools will allow you to convert avi, dvd, wmp, etc.

SLAG
09-20-2006, 08:47 PM
Anyone know of some really good games that have some really long levels?

BigChiefFan
09-21-2006, 09:07 AM
If you want to store music on your PSP, look into atrac files. They are compressed files designed to work with Sony Products, so you use less memory.

unlurking
09-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Anyone know of some really good games that have some really long levels?
I liked Untold Legends, but I like the fantasy type games. My son liked Star Wars. We have about 10 games, but those are our two favorites, beyond of course...

LUMINES

The best damn game available on PSP. There is supposed to be a sequel, but I'm not sure if it's out yet. If you want an addictive puzzle game with insane graphics and groovy music, you'll love Lumines.

SLAG
09-22-2006, 11:51 PM
I upgraded to 2.81

am i screwed out of homebrewing and emulators and such?

SLAG
09-29-2006, 10:09 PM
free wifi at kci allows me to post as i wait for my parents to get in

SLAG
10-02-2006, 12:45 AM
Just picked up Star Wars Battlefront II

any one play this

SLAG
10-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Just picked up Star Wars Battlefront II

any one play this

i'm diggin this game hard core-

also just orderd the Midway Arcade Treasures

with

Description

Old school gamers love playing the classic titles that started the video game revolution, and now Midway brings 21 of these games to the PSP with MIDWAY ARCADE TREASURES EXTENDED.

Even better, 16 of them feature wireless multiplayer capabilities.

The collection includes 21 games, some of which have never been included in a Midway collection before.
Sixteen of these games includes multiplayer support, allowing gamers to either play cooperatively or challenge each other.

They are:
KLAX, JOUST, MARBLE MADNESS, TOOBIN’, WIZARD OF WOR, XYBOTS, ARCH RIVALS, CHAMPIONSHIP SPRING, CYBERBALL 2072, MORTAL KOMBAT, MORTAL KOMBAT II, MORTAL KOMBAT 3, RAMGPAGE, RAMPART, XENOPHOBE, and GAUNTLET.

Single player games include SPY HUNTER, SINISTAR, DEFENDER, PAPERBOY, and 720 DEGREES.

Plus, three players can join in on RAMPAGE, RAMPART, and XENOPHOBE, while four players can battle the forces of evil in the classic GAUNTLET.

The MIDWAY ARCADE TREASURES EXTENDED PLAY has something for everyone. It includes puzzle games like MARBLE MADNESS, fighting games like the MORTAL KOMBAT trilogy, and classic arcade adventures like GAUNTLET and JOUST.

Gamers who fondly remember these games will find them recreated in all their original glory while gamers unfamiliar with them will see why these games are considered classics.

The MIDWAY ARCADE TREASURES EXTENDED PLAY collection has something to offer everyone, making it a must-have game for the PSP.

Guru
10-27-2006, 12:09 AM
Enough about your PSP already. Jeez. :banghead: :)

SLAG
10-28-2006, 04:58 PM
I just got a 2 GB memory card on ebay for $50..

No adapter needed

Now what to do with it

Bowser
10-28-2006, 05:00 PM
I just got a 2 GB memory card on ebay for $50..

No adapter needed

Now what to do with it

Put it back on EBAY for 75 bucks.

SLAG
01-07-2007, 06:14 PM
anyone know how to downgrade from 2.81 so i can upgrage to the 3.02 OE-B ?

thanks

KILLER_CLOWN
01-11-2007, 02:05 AM
Slag i don't believe 2.81 has a downgrader but i could be wrong. DO NOT UPGRADE FURTHER! check out this ultra kewl site for all things psp

www.pspupdates.com

Love the 3.03 oe-b, plays every ps1 game ever made. I've been playing diablo and theme hospital at work, man this gadget is the greatest thing since sliced bread err SB IV.

oaklandhater
01-11-2007, 02:26 AM
You should buy a DS lite instead easyer to mod and cheaper games.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-11-2007, 02:32 AM
You should buy a DS lite instead easyer to mod and cheaper games.

heh, yeah but it doesn't do all the kewl things the psp does. I mean all the psone games? that's like 2500+ new games, and most peeps already own a few dozen psone games. I haven't touched my DS lite since i bought it. Even the kids refuse to steal it from it's dust collecting home.

SLAG
01-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Slag i don't believe 2.81 has a downgrader but i could be wrong. DO NOT UPGRADE FURTHER! check out this ultra kewl site for all things psp

www.pspupdates.com

Love the 3.03 oe-b, plays every ps1 game ever made. I've been playing diablo and theme hospital at work, man this gadget is the greatest thing since sliced bread err SB IV.

:doh!:

I already upgraded to sony's 3.03

oaklandhater
01-11-2007, 06:43 PM
heh, yeah but it doesn't do all the kewl things the psp does. I mean all the psone games? that's like 2500+ new games, and most peeps already own a few dozen psone games. I haven't touched my DS lite since i bought it. Even the kids refuse to steal it from it's dust collecting home.

Its the same for me but on the psp I havent touched it since I bought it and for the record the GBA roms own the psone roms has well.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-14-2007, 12:43 AM
Its the same for me but on the psp I havent touched it since I bought it and for the record the GBA roms own the psone roms has well.

funny you say that, even though i disagree 100% because the gba games look like atari 2600 the PSP plays GBA roms as well, next.

here's the link to the psp gba emulator...

http://pspupdates.qj.net/gpSP-v0-9-for-the-PSP/pg/49/aid/76312

it also plays all the nes,snes, n64, sms,genesis, gamegear, commodore 64, apple 2, amiga, colecovision, intellivision, neo geo, turbo grafix and a decent amount of mame games.

Jenson71
01-14-2007, 01:05 AM
My brother has one and I bought him Vice City Stories for Christmas. I played a few levels, and it was fun. He already has an XBox, so I'm not sure why he needed a PSP but oh well.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-14-2007, 10:13 PM
My brother has one and I bought him Vice City Stories for Christmas. I played a few levels, and it was fun. He already has an XBox, so I'm not sure why he needed a PSP but oh well.

because it's portable and does a million more things than an ipod ;)

KILLER_CLOWN
01-28-2007, 11:58 PM
:doh!:

I already upgraded to sony's 3.03

Good news for you, today a downgrader was released for v3.03 users. Take that Sony ;) feel free to use all the stuff we have been enjoying since the inception of the greatest portable device ever.

linky dinky

www.pspupdates.com

Guru
04-01-2007, 04:17 PM
I am becoming increasingly interested in this due to the video functionality. Does it have to be modded to play divx formats? also, how do you mod it to play old games.

Guru
04-04-2007, 01:18 AM
Anybody have GTA Liberty City Stories I can borrow for a day. Need it for the mod. Not a game I would EVER pay money for though. Don't have anyone in topeka that rents PSP games. ISO won't work either. Needs to be the actual disk.

Needs to be the unpatched version of the game that has the firmware update 2.0 on the disk too.

KNowing my luck, gamefly doesn't have the original unpatched games to rent.

TrickyNicky
04-04-2007, 08:17 AM
PSP Core price dropped from $199.99 to $169.99 for the 2nd anniversary. I'm thinking about getting one.

Guru
04-04-2007, 06:01 PM
So nobody has GTA Liberty City for PSP?

Swanman
04-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Last night I downgraded mine from firmware 2.71 to 1.50 then upgraded it to the customer 3.03 firmware and it worked like a charm. I used the guides as www.pspmod.com. I didn't think I'd be able to downgrade my PSP because it had the TA-082 motherboard (in the past it would ruin the PSP if you tried to downgrade). Someone figured out a way to downgrade those so now I'm all set.

Guru
05-17-2007, 03:02 AM
I found this little gem last night. The iTrip for the PSP. Getting pretty good reviews too. Used to retail for $49.99 and is not on special for $14.99.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrippsp/

http://www.griffintechnology.com/assets/images/products/itrippsp/prod_itrippsp_main.jpg

oaklandhater
05-17-2007, 07:17 AM
Has any one else noticed there are alot of really good games comeing out for the psp lately.

final fantasy remake US: June 26, 2007

final fantasy US: Tactics October 2007

Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow October 2007

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII US 2007

Silent Hill Origins August 6, 2007

Wild Arms US 2007

And thats just the for the end of 07.

Guru
05-17-2007, 11:50 PM
Has any one else noticed there are alot of really good games comeing out for the psp lately.

final fantasy remake US: June 26, 2007

final fantasy US: Tactics October 2007

Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow October 2007

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII US 2007

Silent Hill Origins August 6, 2007

Wild Arms US 2007

And thats just the for the end of 07.
Who cares about the games. Homebrew man. Homebrew.