PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla

cmh6476
08-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Is how I would describe our entire preseason thus far.

We haven't seen anything from the O to turn heads, but I think we'll be fine. Turley made Mario Williams a non-factor, and did a decent job against Osi IMO. I don't see any cause for concern on the inside, as I think the struggles a lot of outsiders have noticed is the result of backup tackles filling in. Once we get Shields/ Waters/ Weigman playing healthy and some continuity we'll be fine. I also think Sampson is going to play better than Black or Wellbourne or Svitek could at this point, and as long as we stay healthy our offense will roll. LJ is gonna get his, and the passing game looks to be in great shape from the preseason. Only thing holding this offense back is injuries. And those injuries that could really set us back are at a number of positions IMO (anywhere on the OL would be a big hit, QB, RB...)

On defense, I just don't think we've seen anything yet. All they've ran is a base 4-3 cover-2 defense. Nothing fancy and not a lot of blitzing. Having the CBs back off the line of scrimmage while the safeties work to learn the new scheme.

Which obviously has not been working. The tackles up front look to be decent at stopping the run. And Allen on one side looks to be a positive. But getting pressure on the QB up the gut is something we have not seen. And I'm not sure we have anyone on the roster that could put pressure on the QB from the DT position.

Hicks has been awful, and I think we are all anxious to hear about how Hali does in this week and I want to see him play alot against St. Louis. Dear God he has to be an upgrade over Hicks :shake:

I really just want to see them get creative against St. Louis. The Giants are out there running reverses and throwing blitzes at us from left and right, and it really just looks like we have a bunch of veteran guys who are treating like this nothing more than another practice.

I hope thats the case and I hope the guys bring it to another level come the Bengals game and thereafter. Cause if not we might be in trouble fellas.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-20-2006, 10:24 PM
What?

cmh6476
08-20-2006, 10:32 PM
What?
you related to Dr. Thunder?

Chiefs Pantalones
08-20-2006, 10:39 PM
you related to Dr. Thunder?

Yes. Was that all of your questions?

cmh6476
08-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Yes. Was that all of your questions?
yes.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-20-2006, 10:50 PM
yes.

Ok. Everyone keeps mentioning my name and asking me questions for some reason. They think I know it all or something.

Warrior5
08-21-2006, 06:51 AM
Ok. Everyone keeps mentioning my name and asking me questions for some reason. They think I know it all or something.

Hey Cody, someone once said that jalapeno cheese balls are really good...any truth to that?

jspchief
08-21-2006, 08:03 AM
My only problem with the "vanilla" excuse is that every other team in the league is going beyond vanilla. Why are we the only ones keeping it simple?

And what purpose does vanilla serve anyway? Shouldn't these guys be getting reps that come closer to replicating regular season gameplay, so they are actually prepared to run those plays when the season starts?

I've watched a ton of pre-season games, and the one thing I've noticed is that I haven't seen a single team look as bad in pre-season as the Chiefs have looked. Does that mean we're the worst team in the league? I highly doubt it. But there is some concern when other teams are already performing at a high level, and last year's play-off teams all appear to be clicking at a very high level.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Hey Cody, someone once said that jalapeno cheese balls are really good...any truth to that?

Very true, lol.

And about the offense being "vanilla", I agree with jsp. I think the reason we get off to slow starts is because we don't run it how we'd run it in the regular season.

jlscorpio
08-21-2006, 01:24 PM
I am addicted to Vanilla Bean Frappacino's

Chiefs Pantalones
08-21-2006, 01:27 PM
I am addicted to Vanilla Bean Frappacino's

She's a good friend of mine.

Stinger
08-21-2006, 01:30 PM
They think I know it all or something.

SUPERFLY .......... Do or Die !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warrior5
08-21-2006, 02:55 PM
And about the offense being "vanilla", I agree with jsp. I think the reason we get off to slow starts is because we don't run it how we'd run it in the regular season.

You fight like you train. Edwards needs to up the ante. I think I said this about 3 years ago, but from here on out, we need to see less vanilla and more chocolate & strawberry.

Hopefully playing in Arrowhead in front of US, will start producing results.

TRR
08-21-2006, 02:55 PM
I agree with you for the most part, however I think John Welbourn was vastly under-rated at RT last season. He really played strong at RT, and helped us running to the right side when Roaf was out, and Black was starting. I would feel a lot better about or O Line if Welbourn was still at RT.

TRR
08-21-2006, 02:59 PM
To expand...I don't think it's vanilla, as much as it is giving our younger guys more of a look. Casey Printers has played more snaps than any QB in the league right now. The jury is still out on guys like Rich Scanlon, Boomer Grigsby, Key Fox, Kris Griffin, Kris Wilson, Alphonso Hodge, Crow Thorpe, Jeff Webb, Jeris McIntyre....The list goes on forever. Herm is trying to get a feel for what these guys bring because for the most part, he didn't draft them.

Calcountry
08-21-2006, 03:21 PM
My only problem with the "vanilla" excuse is that every other team in the league is going beyond vanilla. Why are we the only ones keeping it simple?

And what purpose does vanilla serve anyway? Shouldn't these guys be getting reps that come closer to replicating regular season gameplay, so they are actually prepared to run those plays when the season starts?

I've watched a ton of pre-season games, and the one thing I've noticed is that I haven't seen a single team look as bad in pre-season as the Chiefs have looked. Does that mean we're the worst team in the league? I highly doubt it. But there is some concern when other teams are already performing at a high level, and last year's play-off teams all appear to be clicking at a very high level.The new coach hasn't made that "connection" with his players yet.

They don't know what he expects of them, or he hasn't made that clear to them.

Just a guess, but that might explain the lack of effort from our first units.

el borracho
08-21-2006, 04:44 PM
I am still wondering what the Giants did, other than the one reverse, that is not vanilla.

Also, the Chiefs did try to blitz in the Giants game. Wasn't successful, but we tried.

I asked before without response: What did the Giants do that the Chiefs did not do (besides execute)?

Maybe I am clueless, but I don't see the vanilla excuse as valid. It looked more like we just got owned at the line of scrimmage. :shrug:

Mr. Laz
08-21-2006, 05:16 PM
I am still wondering what the Giants did, other than the one reverse, that is not vanilla.

Also, the Chiefs did try to blitz in the Giants game. Wasn't successful, but we tried.

I asked before without response: What did the Giants do that the Chiefs did not do (besides execute)?

Maybe I am clueless, but I don't see the vanilla excuse as valid. It looked more like we just got owned at the line of scrimmage. :shrug:
de'nile just ain't a river, my friend.

whoman69
08-21-2006, 09:39 PM
I suppose it could be worse. Our preseason could be choclate.

greg63
08-21-2006, 10:34 PM

greg63
08-21-2006, 10:36 PM
I suppose it could be worse. Our preseason could be choclate.ROFL
I was thinking the same thing.

TinyEvel
08-22-2006, 02:54 AM
Even on a Vanilla scheme, insticts should take over.

el borracho
08-22-2006, 01:30 PM

Ok, that is twice I have asked the question and still nobody has answered. Is my question too stupid to merit a response or is it that nobody has an answer to the question?

greg63
08-23-2006, 12:22 AM
Ok, that is twice I have asked the question and still nobody has answered. Is my question too stupid to merit a response or is it that nobody has an answer to the question?

I would be happy to try to answer your question had I seen the game.

elvomito
08-23-2006, 02:51 AM
1. the giants played at home. ---that shouldn't matter much, but the chiefs will play much better this week as a result of being home
2. the giants have consistency in practice. the chiefs have it much easier now, as opposed to the last 5 years. it takes a bit of getting used to, having fast, easy practices when historically they've been forced to be at a higher level. now its a choice... people get used to structure i suppose.
3. the chiefs did not gameplan/prepare at all from what i understand... they were just out there playing some of what they've done in practice. obviously, if their concept of the d-packages played was better, their play would be too

those are just some ideas... probably all bullshit since the chiefs will look totally different this sunday
also, that vanilla talk is bullshit... i mean you're gonna let loose in game 1 of the regular season right? or are you gonna still try to hide shit? people are gonna see everything when they watch that gamefilm of game 1, so **** it, right?

cmh6476
08-23-2006, 09:47 AM
Not just the playcalling, but Jeremy Shockey is out there like a crazed lunatic pumping up his team. No one from our team is all that hyped about this game. I think that's obviously because the Giants seem to be a young team coming into their own, while the Chiefs consist of a bunch of seasoned vets who could care less about the Giants preseason game. That's the difference I saw.