PDA

View Full Version : espn.com

pr_capone
08-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Honestly now... their site is pissing me off and for several reasons.

1. A shit load of pop-ups. I cannot go to their site without being assaulted by a constant barrage of advertisements for the Army, Coca-Cola, and their damn cell phone. Why the f*ck do they need advertising dollars on their website anyways.... arent they owned by a multi-billion dollar company? Oh yeah... Michael Isner is a greedy f*ck.

2. Their front page is a cluster f*ck of information and the format changes more than rainman changes his underware. This part of my rant has nothing to do with the quality of their articles either.... though most of those are sh!t as well.

3. My favorite... as if they arent making enough money from the advertisements, you need to pay a monthly fee for "insider" information. WTF?!?! Unless you work in the business, why the flying f*ck would you NEED the information hidden away behind that "INsider" tag?

Honestly, you can prolly get the same info on CBS Sportsline for free. Or... you could always ask Phobia for a free subscription to Warpaint Illustrated. :D

4. As if all the ads flashing around the screen or popping up when you go to another page (inevitably rendering that page useless to you because you cant find the close button on the f*cking pop-up) they have arent intrusive enough, off to the right hand side of the screen they have streaming media of commercials for their phone or Stuart Scotts lazy eye cream.

Gak!

So, where do you get your sporting news from? I'm pretty much done with ESPN.

Damn... I miss the days when ESPN meant sports.

ESPN = MTV

Sam Hall
08-21-2006, 11:08 AM
A good popup blocker or two will take care of the problem.

ZepSinger
08-21-2006, 11:10 AM
A good popup blocker or two will take care of the problem.

Use Firefox. Takes care of 95% of that stuff.

Z

wutamess
08-21-2006, 11:11 AM
You need a hug.

pr_capone
08-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Use Firefox. Takes care of 95% of that stuff.

Z

I do use firefox.

What caused this rant today is when I went to their site about 20 minutes ago.

The first thing I see is a GIANT add for coca-cola with that little button on the top right of the screen that said "click here to skip this add".

So I click and skip the add.

Then immediately the yellow bar pops up on the top of my screen informing me by POPPING UP, that it has blocked a mother f*ucking pop-up. :banghead:

As I am settling in for my sports fix, I wake my neighboring co-workers with the blaring sound of an advertisement via streaming video. The f*cking pop-up blocker cant block that shit either.

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

pr_capone
08-21-2006, 11:16 AM
You need a hug.

yes please :deevee:

ZepSinger
08-21-2006, 11:18 AM
I do use firefox.

I have to agree, ESPN.com has gotten just about as corporate in its advertising as you can get. I used to practically live on that site, but almost never visit anymore. I get most of my NFL news right here. :)

Rain Man
08-21-2006, 11:19 AM
I get annoyed when I try to order Pizza Hut online.

I order my pizza, and then as I try to pay, I get a popup asking if I want chicken wings with my order. I click no, and then I get a popup asking if I want breadsticks with my order. I click no, and then I get a popup asking if I want any soda or salad with my order. I click no, and then I get a popup asking if I'm sure that I don't want any of these things. I click that I'm sure, and then I get a popup saying that the wings are really good and that I'll regret not ordering them later if I don't do it, and here's one last chance. It's about that time that I shut the browser and order from Papa John's.

Demonpenz
08-21-2006, 11:21 AM
here's the link for firefox http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

ZepSinger
08-21-2006, 11:23 AM

I order my pizza, and then as I try to pay, I get a popup asking if I want chicken wings with my order. I click no, and then I get a popup asking if I want breadsticks with my order. I click no, and then I get a popup asking if I want any soda or salad with my order. I click no, and then I get a popup asking if I'm sure that I don't want any of these things. I click that I'm sure, and then I get a popup saying that the wings are really good and that I'll regret not ordering them later if I don't do it, and here's one last chance. It's about that time that I shut the browser and order from Papa John's.

I don't know if businesses realize that the hard-sell approach many times has the opposite effect. I quit going to Jiffy Lube for my oil changes because every time I went, they'd try to force $400 worth of other services on me ("transmission check today?" no. "air filter today?" no. "rotate your tires today?" no. repeat ad nauseum..)
:cuss:

pr_capone
08-21-2006, 11:26 AM
here's the link for firefox http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/
Thanks Demonpenz.

Apparently the second post I made stating that I *DO* use firefox was not clear enough.

Let me help you out here just a bit.

I do use firefox.

ROFL ROFL

noa
08-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Its not just their website. How about all the stupid movie promos they tie into Sportscenter because ESPN is owned by Disney? They showed clips of Pirates of the Caribbean to lead into the Pittsburgh Pirates game. How about the "Budweiser Hot Seat" and the "Coors Six Pack" and blah blah blah. They are just another corporate vehicle now.

Demonpenz
08-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Better Web Experience
Firefox 1.5 has an intuitive interface and blocks viruses, spyware, and popup ads. It delivers Web pages faster than ever. And itís easy to install and import your favorites. Packed with useful features like tabbed browsing, Live Bookmarks, and an integrated Search bar, Firefox will change the way you experience the Web, for the better.
Faster Browsing
Enjoy quick page loading as you navigate back and forward in a browsing session. Improvements to the engine that powers Firefox deliver more accurate display of complex Web sites, support for new Web standards, and better overall performance.
Automatic Updates
The new Software Update feature makes it easy to get the latest security and feature updates to Firefox. Firefox automatically downloads these small updates in the background and prompts you when they are ready to be installed.

Guru
08-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Better Web Experience
Firefox 1.5 has an intuitive interface and blocks viruses, spyware, and popup ads. It delivers Web pages faster than ever. And itís easy to install and import your favorites. Packed with useful features like tabbed browsing, Live Bookmarks, and an integrated Search bar, Firefox will change the way you experience the Web, for the better.
Faster Browsing
Enjoy quick page loading as you navigate back and forward in a browsing session. Improvements to the engine that powers Firefox deliver more accurate display of complex Web sites, support for new Web standards, and better overall performance.
Automatic Updates
The new Software Update feature makes it easy to get the latest security and feature updates to Firefox. Firefox automatically downloads these small updates in the background and prompts you when they are ready to be installed.

Talk about puttin gon the HARD SELL to somebody that already uses Firefox. ROFL

pr_capone
08-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Its not just their website. How about all the stupid movie promos they tie into Sportscenter because ESPN is owned by Disney? They showed clips of Pirates of the Caribbean to lead into the Pittsburgh Pirates game. How about the "Budweiser Hot Seat" and the "Coors Six Pack" and blah blah blah. They are just another corporate vehicle now.

Agreed.

ESPN is a shell of its former self. I miss the days when you could turn on ESPN when there was no other major sporting even going on and they still had something "sporty" going on. Even if it was guys with axes and chainsaws hacking at wood.

Shit... what about that f*cking rag with sport celebrity gossip they had come out. I never heard anything more of it other than the commercials. Is that shit still on as well?

Rain Man
08-21-2006, 11:33 AM
I don't know if businesses realize that the hard-sell approach many times has the opposite effect. I quit going to Jiffy Lube for my oil changes because every time I went, they'd try to force $400 worth of other services on me ("transmission check today?" no. "air filter today?" no. "rotate your tires today?" no. repeat ad nauseum..)
:cuss:

I want to hide under the chair when I see that guy coming toward me with the air filter. Just write it on a piece of paper and give it to me, but don't talk to me and then stand there and wait for me to make a decision.

DMAC
08-21-2006, 11:36 AM
See something interesting on that site?

Want to read pretty much any article on ESPN.com?

Well, Pay $$$ to become an INsider!!!!

Bearcat
08-21-2006, 11:40 AM
At the bottom of the screen there's a 'report a bug' link.... click on that and type smartass comments to them like "Your video is set to autoplay" or "espn.com redirected me to a Coke commercial". They really like when you alert them of issues.

Phobia
08-21-2006, 11:46 AM
I'd like to recommend Firefox. It's good and stuff.

DeepSouth
08-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Or... you could always ask Phobia for a free subscription to Warpaint Illustrated.

I didn't know this was an option? Why doesn't Phil give all ChiefsPlanet members access to Warpaint ?

pr_capone
08-21-2006, 12:25 PM
I didn't know this was an option? Why doesn't Phil give all ChiefsPlanet members access to Warpaint ?
ROFL ROFL ROFL

sedated
08-21-2006, 12:29 PM
I want to hide under the chair when I see that guy coming toward me with the air filter. Just write it on a piece of paper and give it to me, but don't talk to me and then stand there and wait for me to make a decision.

then when you say no (because they want to charge $15 bucks for something you can get for $5 at a parts store), they look at you like you are the scum of the earth.

sedated
08-21-2006, 12:32 PM
I never thought it was possible, but ESPN has become just as much of a coporate whore as Fox Sports and the Best Damn Sports Show.

welcome woth the Labatt Blue bar...the Best Buy theatre...this segment brought to you by Burger King (with the food on the table)

so pathetic

bogie
08-21-2006, 12:36 PM

ROFL

chief2000
08-21-2006, 12:47 PM
On the other hand, the so called "hover ads" or DHTML pop-ups are based primarily on the JavaScript browser capabilities. Technically, DHTML pop-ups use JavaScript code that creates DOM object elements organized in a system. The Javascript code then manipulates CSS and the "position" attribute to produce visual effects, for example making a window which looks like a genuine OS window but moves away from your mouse whenever you try to close it. These effects were unavailable in the older pop-ups which relied on Javascript's window.open() function.

The DHTML approach of creating pop-ups is also harder to block than the pure Javascript method, as DHTML is an integral part of a modern web-browser. However, even DHTML pop-ups are blockable. The simplest method is to use a browser extension, such as Firefox's noscript, which can selectively disable or enable scripts for individual web-sites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop-up_ad

Bearcat
08-21-2006, 12:48 PM
I never thought it was possible, but ESPN has become just as much of a coporate whore as Fox Sports and the Best Damn Sports Show.

That show's still around? I was amazed the last time I watched it (well, had it on)... it went on for hours, yet they had like 4 segments of actual sports stuff. Didn't really see a need for commercial breaks.

HemiEd
08-21-2006, 01:03 PM
I would try FireFox.

J Diddy
08-21-2006, 01:05 PM

You should try here instead...

http://www.dominos.com

Rain Man
08-21-2006, 01:10 PM

Long ago, I was a fan of Domino's. But then I went a while without ordering from them, and the last two times I did (approx. 5 years ago), they sent me ketchup on bread instead of real pizza. I haven't ordered from them since.

J Diddy
08-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Long ago, I was a fan of Domino's. But then I went a while without ordering from them, and the last two times I did (approx. 5 years ago), they sent me ketchup on bread instead of real pizza. I haven't ordered from them since.

If it was that bad I wouldn't either.

However, if you're in the mood for some good pizza. I can deliver you some. It'll take a couple of days and you may have to mortgage your home to pay the delivery charge, but it won't be ketchup on bread.

Rain Man
08-21-2006, 02:42 PM
If it was that bad I wouldn't either.

However, if you're in the mood for some good pizza. I can deliver you some. It'll take a couple of days and you may have to mortgage your home to pay the delivery charge, but it won't be ketchup on bread.

Um...yeah. Three large ones, please. Deliver them to 1313 Thatfraudallah Lane, in Mosul, Iraq. We don't have a street sign right now, but you can just ask anyone where you can find Thatfraudallah.

(This ought to be good.)

Bearcat
08-21-2006, 03:30 PM

I wonder why Dominos has never put phone numbers in their commercials, while not having a dine-in option, either. It's just bad business.

Sam Hall
08-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Hey pr_capone, did you submit this headline in the sports section of Fark.com?

If you love ESPN.com's busy design, automatic starting of videos with sound and tons of flash, you're just going to love the fact that now you get a full-page ad when you go to the home page. The bloat just got bloatier

pr_capone
08-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Hey pr_capone, did you submit this headline in the sports section of Fark.com?
ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

I havent been to fark in WEEKS.

That is priceless though that someone else picked up on this too.! :)

big nasty kcnut
08-21-2006, 04:58 PM
I hate it too cause i just use it for Fantasy sport and have to go past stu scott eye problem sportcrap i don't care about and ads for stuff that not sold here.

J Diddy
08-21-2006, 07:27 PM
I wonder why Dominos has never put phone numbers in their commercials, while not having a dine-in option, either. It's just bad business.

Because 90 percent of their advertising is national promotion which is given directly to the network and filtered to it's affiliates.

My store has dine in.

Psyko Tek
08-21-2006, 07:48 PM
then when you say no (because they want to charge $15 bucks for something you can get for $5 at a parts store), they look at you like you are the scum of the earth.

sears wanted to charge me $13.00 doloars to install a battery last week

no way in hell I'll pay that for 10 minutes worth of work

Cochise
08-21-2006, 07:54 PM
ESPN.com makes me angry too, because of that video clip that autoplays. There should never be any video on the internet that autoplays unless you clicked a link specifically to play that video.

It also irritates me that they have so much 'premium content' anymore.

Sort of like in Windows, how some applications can steal focus from others. Almost no window should be allowed to take focus from the user or be modal. (modal is where you have to address the dialog box before you can click anywhere else)

Rain Man
08-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Because 90 percent of their advertising is national promotion which is given directly to the network and filtered to it's affiliates.

My store has dine in.

Oh. Do you really have a Domino's store? If so, I apologize if I insulted your product. But seriously, did Domino's change their ingredient mix at some point? I used to love their pizza, but was not impressed at all with them the last couple of times I ordered them. Or do I just live near a badly run store?