PDA

View Full Version : DC to AC Power Inverters - What should I know?

Lzen
08-21-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm thinking of buying a power inverter for my laptop. This is so that I can plug it into my vehicle's cigarette lighter when the laptop battery runs out. Anything that I should know before buying one? I'm leaning towards this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1187794&CatId=0

DaFace
08-21-2006, 11:23 AM
As far as I know, the only thing that's vitally important is that the inverter puts out enough juice to meet your laptop's requirements. Most laptops take 90 watts or less, so you should be in good shape.

htismaqe
08-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Yeah, a laptop should be easy, since most inverters are rated for 120W or more...

StcChief
08-21-2006, 02:35 PM
Amperage rating of AC device

if in car/truck/boat what the device you are using will be pulling the Fuse rating of DC side 10amp,etc

htismaqe
08-21-2006, 02:59 PM
Amperage rating of AC device

if in car/truck/boat what the device you are using will be pulling the Fuse rating of DC side 10amp,etc

Most portable electronics, including laptops, fit in that range as well.

Lzen
08-21-2006, 03:18 PM
Ok, thanks everyone for the help. I ordered the one in the link I posted.

jspchief
08-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Should work for just about anything that doesn't have a heating element. You'll never be able to run a coffee pot off of it.

Simplex3
08-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Should work for just about anything that doesn't have a heating element. You'll never be able to run a coffee pot off of it.
...as my wife found out when trying to run the crock pot off of mine...

:mad:

PastorMikH
08-21-2006, 11:05 PM
Don't run off and leave the thing hooked up while you are in the mall/resturaunt/etc or you could come out to a dead car.

I knew better, but one day I forgot. We met her parents at the halfway point on the highway between us to pass off one of the girls for a week. We chowed down at a Chinese resturaunt then sat around talking for quite a while after eating. I came out, tried to start the van, and didn't even hear a click. The laptop was fully charged though.

htismaqe
08-22-2006, 07:56 AM
Don't run off and leave the thing hooked up while you are in the mall/resturaunt/etc or you could come out to a dead car.

I knew better, but one day I forgot. We met her parents at the halfway point on the highway between us to pass off one of the girls for a week. We chowed down at a Chinese resturaunt then sat around talking for quite a while after eating. I came out, tried to start the van, and didn't even hear a click. The laptop was fully charged though.

I have an APC inverter in my car and when the car is off, it's ports are OFF.

PastorMikH
08-22-2006, 08:49 AM
I have an APC inverter in my car and when the car is off, it's ports are OFF.

That sure would have saved me some trouble. I have a cheap inverter from Wally World and it's on all the time.

DaFace
08-22-2006, 08:58 AM
This probably only applies to a select few cars out there, but in the fuse box of mine there's one fuse that can be inserted into two different places. If it's in the first place, the cigarette lighter is on all the time. If it's in the second, the cigarette lighter will turn off when the car's off. The car's a Chrysler 300M for what it's worth.

It might be worth looking into it if you're concerned about draining your battery by accidentally leaving your inverter going.

Lzen
08-22-2006, 01:18 PM

Lol, ok. I'll keep that in mind. Never even thought of that. When we camp, we just boil water on the camp stove and use instant coffee.

Lzen
08-22-2006, 01:19 PM

Look at the bright side. At least you could get some work done on your laptop while waiting for a jump. :)

jspchief
08-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Lol, ok. I'll keep that in mind. Never even thought of that. When we camp, we just boil water on the camp stove and use instant coffee.It won't hurt to try. It just doesn't work.

I've tried several in an attempt to brew coffee while waiting in line before the gates open at Arrowhead.