PDA

View Full Version : Bryant Gumbel puts NFL Network job in jeapordy with "leash" remark

KCChiefsFan88
08-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Uh Oh...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9612375

Gumbel puts NFL Network job in jeapordy with 'leash' remark
Aug. 21, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- The job status of Bryant Gumbel, scheduled to be the play-by-play broadcaster on the eight late-season games on the NFL's in-house network, could be the subject of a discussion by NFL officials after Gumbel's suggestion that Paul Tagliabue show his successor "where he keeps Gene Upshaw's leash."

Tagliabue said Monday that incoming commissioner Roger Goodell and Steve Bornstein, who runs the NFL Network, will discuss the remarks after Goodell takes office Sept. 1.

Gumbel addressed his closing remarks on HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel last Tuesday to Goodell.

"Before he cleans out his office," Gumbel said. "Have Paul Tagliabue show you where he keeps Gene Upshaw's leash. By making the docile head of the players union his personal pet, your predecessor has kept the peace without giving players the kind of guarantees other pros take for granted. Try to make sure no one competent ever replaces Upshaw on your watch."

Tagliabue's response: "What Gumbel said about Gene Upshaw and our owners is about as irresponsible as anything I've heard in a long time."

Upshaw did not immediately return a call placed by the Associated Press.

However, a number of owners have said that they thought they had given away too much to the union in a last-minute six-year contract extension that added almost a billion dollars in the league's contribution to the players.

And Upshaw told the AP several weeks ago that he was able to get more from the owners than he had agreed to just a few days before the owners finally agreed on the new deal.

Gumbel, once the host of the NBC pregame show and later co-host of The Today Show, said when he was hired that no restrictions had been put on his ability to comment on what he sees on the field.

"It's a lot like covering any story," he said. "You see what is front of you and you report on it."

The two-year-old NFL Network will televise eight late-season games on Thursday and Saturday nights this season.

HemiEd
08-21-2006, 12:47 PM
This should be fun to watch.

jidar
08-21-2006, 12:54 PM
I can't believe this travesty!

The NFL Network is actually 3 years old, not 2.

ck_IN
08-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Interesting. I hate to bring race into it but Gumbel is black. I wonder if the reaction will be muted. If a white reporter had said this Je$$ie Jack$on, Al $hyster and all the rest would've already strung him up.

cdcox
08-21-2006, 12:57 PM
No Fun League strikes again.

Count Zarth
08-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Bryant Gumbel has always been a dick, anyway.

I always saw Bryant as the mirror universe, evil counterpart of Greg Gumbel.

noa
08-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Bryant Gumbel is a sports commentator. If they are going to censor his ability to make commentary, I have a feeling he won't want to work for them anyway.

StcChief
08-21-2006, 01:02 PM
He will get away with it..why He's black....

Upshaw is also Black. so they can hate on each other
no race card involved. Call each other the N word no problem.

stevieray
08-21-2006, 01:04 PM
It's always intersting to watch a successful black millionaire play the race card.

I think eventually youger generations won't buy into it.

jAZ
08-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Interesting. I hate to bring race into it but Gumbel is black. I wonder if the reaction will be muted. If a white reporter had said this Je$$ie Jack$on, Al $hyster and all the rest would've already strung him up.
I don't think it's unfair to raise the issue of race here, and I assumed given the thread title and choice of words, the article was going to be about race myself.

However, as it turns out the objectionable part of things wasn't something so trivial as the use of the term "leash" and "pet" but the suggestion that the players in the NFL are getting screwed over by a weak union head who's (deliberately or not) conspiring to with the NFL owners to give away more than they could get if they were hard asses.

In the end (for once) the thing people are pissed about isn't the issue of race.

That's refreshing.

Mr. Laz
08-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Gumbel just increased his "street cred"

fo' schizzle

Tatertot13
08-21-2006, 01:09 PM
White people love Wayne Brady because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcom X.

jAZ
It's always intersting to watch a successful black millionaire play the race card.

I find it fairly dishonest to read this article and conclude that it's a story about anything but an attack on the ownership and the union head screwing the players.

I understand thinking that the article must have been about race, given the thread title, but once you read it to draw that same conclusion is just dishonest.

ck_IN
Don't get me wrong Jaz, I'm not saying the issue is race. I'm saying it'll be interesting to see what the media reaction is. We know if a white reporter had said this it'd be all about race. Now we have a black reporter trashing a black union rep. How will the media react? Will they take it easy on Gumbel since he is black? Will any reporter step up and ask any hard questions?

I seriously doubt it.

shaneo69
This kind of annoys me. African-Americans complain about not getting positions of influence due to racist hiring policies, then a guy like Upshaw does a great job in a very prestigious position, and other african-americans are ripping the guy, apparently for being subservient to the man.

I guess Upshaw's not doing his job as an african-american unless he's being a total antagonistic ass like Poston or TO.

If I were Tags, I wouldn't make a big PC deal about the implied racial overtones, but I sure as hell would replace Gumbel on the NFL network and try to find a "team player" to take his place.

jAZ
08-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Don't get me wrong Jaz, I'm not saying the issue is race. I'm saying it'll be interesting to see what the media reaction is. We know if a white reporter had said this it'd be all about race. Now we have a black reporter trashing a black union rep. How will the media react? Will they take if easy on Gumbel since he is black? Will any reporter step up and ask any hard questions?

I seriously doubt it.
If they react honestly and without any agenda (to insert the race card), they will take the angle that "is the head of the players union screwing the players by being more subservant to the owners than the players?"

noa
08-21-2006, 01:13 PM
This kind of annoys me. African-Americans complain about not getting positions of influence due to racist hiring policies, then a guy like Upshaw does a great job in a very prestigious position, and other african-americans are ripping the guy, apparently for being subservient to the man.

I guess Upshaw's not doing his job as an african-american unless is he's being a total antagonistic ass like Poston or TO.

If I was Tags, I wouldn't make a big PC deal about the implied racial overtones, but I sure as hell would replace Gumbel on the NFL network and try to find a "team player" to take his place.

They rip Upshaw because the NFL player's union always bows to the demands of the owners. If it was a stronger union, contracts would be guaranteed. Instead, you can get cut and not see a penny even though you signed a contract with a team. This leads to back-loaded deals that often don't reflect what a player will actually make, and this is why players want better union leadership.

ck_IN
08-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Honest media? What an interesting concept. The media should look into that idea sometime.

I also don't agree with your premise, if that is indeed your premise, that Upshaw was kowtowing to the owners. Muho denaro came the players way due to Upshaws work. I think he's playing a good hand for the players without killing the golden goose, see MLB.

jAZ
08-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Does it say more about Bryant or those on Chiefs Planet that want to make this about race...

To that end, I've "fixed your post".
I guess Upshaw's not doing his job as (the NFL Players Union President) unless he's being a total antagonistic ass like Poston or TO.
Even after correction (removing the falsely injected issue of race) the same issue of objection that you raise remains vaild. Is Upshaw screwing the players or taking a longer term view (something the other leagues ... namely baseball... should do).

chop
08-21-2006, 01:17 PM

Donovan McNabb is going to hold a press conference to complain about "black on black crime". :shake: :D

When it comes to making derrogatory statements, I do think there is a different standard applied to blacks than the one that is applied to whites. If a white person had said these remarks (because it was about a black man) I'm sure there would be the Jesse Jacksons of the world calling for his resignation even it had nothing to do with race. However, since it was a black man calling out another black man I'm pretty sure he is not going to be aksed to resign.

shaneo69
08-21-2006, 01:18 PM
They rip Upshaw because the NFL player's union always bows to the demands of the owners. If it was a stronger union, contracts would be guaranteed. Instead, you can get cut and not see a penny even though you signed a contract with a team. This leads to back-loaded deals that often don't reflect what a player will actually make, and this is why players want better union leadership.

BS. If the players didn't like it, they'd find a new leader, and last I checked, Upshaw's been there for quite a while, so he must be doing a great job.

Hockey players had guaranteed contracts, yet they fired their union leader when he refused to accept the owners' demand for a salary cap. Guess the guaranteed contracts aren't the be-all, end-all you make them out to be.

Mr. Laz
08-21-2006, 01:18 PM
as a fan, you better hope that doesn't happen

will turn football into baseball real quick

Pitt Gorilla
08-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Interesting. I hate to bring race into it but Gumbel is black. I wonder if the reaction will be muted. If a white reporter had said this Je$$ie Jack$on, Al $hyster and all the rest would've already strung him up.Where the hell do you get race in this situation? Honestly...

Bob Dole

And a player can't just refuse to work or anything.

:rolleyes:

That there even exists a player's union is laughable.

htismaqe
If it was a stronger union, they could have held out for bigger and better demands...

And killed their business in the process, like baseball, or what the UAW has done to GM...

Pitt Gorilla
08-21-2006, 01:20 PM

I think eventually youger generations won't buy into it.Ok, I must have really missed something. Where is the race card being played (except by you)?

Iowanian
08-21-2006, 01:20 PM
I guess I don't agree. After last season's negotiations, I thought Upshaw and the players union put a stiff pickle to the owners.

I can't stress enough the continued need for a reasonable salary cap, and sustained rookie slotting.

stevieray
08-21-2006, 01:21 PM
I find it fairly dishonest to read this article and conclude that it's a story about anything but an attack on the ownership and the union head screwing the players.

I understand thinking that the article must have been about race, given the thread title, but once you read it to draw that same conclusion is just dishonest.

whatever Jaz, interesting doesn't mean wrong.

Others have mentioned reading implied racial overtones in the article.

Its not your responsibility to tell people how to interpet the article. If you think there aren't racial overtones, that's great, but that doesn't mean others might read it differently.

noa
08-21-2006, 01:22 PM
BS. If the players didn't like it, they'd find a new leader, and last I checked, Upshaw's been there for quite a while, so he must be doing a great job.

Hockey players had guaranteed contracts, yet they fired their union leader when he refused to accept the owners' demand for a salary cap. Guess the guaranteed contracts aren't the be-all, end-all you make them out to be.

I think you're confusing my preferences with the usual criticism of Upshaw. I was just saying why people criticize him. I don't think the NFL should have guaranteed contracts. Chill out.

jAZ
I also don't agree with your premise, if that is indeed your premise, that Upshaw was kowtowing to the owners. Muho denaro came the players way due to Upshaws work.
It's not so much my premise as they real question to be discussed. My personal assessment would be that the NFL is donig things right (both as a league and as a colleciton of players).

I hope they keep thing forward looking (long term) view of things (as opposed to a short term, "we are getting screwed" approach).

In short, I think Bryant is probably wrong in his opinions, but it has absolutely nothing to do with race (except maybe to those on this thread who keep trying to turn it into that... not you ck_IN).

Mr. Laz
I guess I don't agree. After last season's negotiations, I thought Upshaw and the players union put a stiff pickle to the owners.

I can't stress enough the continued need for a reasonable salary cap, and sustained rookie slotting.

they did ... i expect the owners to push back really hard during the negotiations for the next CBA.

stevieray
08-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Ok, I must have really missed something. Where is the race card being played (except by you)?

would you get a fuggin clue already?

I can't believe I'm even responding to you.

ck_IN
08-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Pitt read the second paragraph of Chop's post #20. You obviously don't understand what I was driving at. Chop captured it pretty well in paragraph two.

It's the double standard I find interesting. Not the issue of race which I'm bored to tears with.

Pitt Gorilla
08-21-2006, 01:26 PM
would you get a fuggin clue already?

I can't believe I'm even responding to you.Hey, feel free not to respond. Perhaps I don't have a clue, but I don't understand how this can be construed as someone playing the race card. I'm simply asking for an explanation. If you can't provide one, then don't.

Bob Dole
08-21-2006, 01:26 PM
whatever Jaz, interesting doesn't mean wrong.

Others have mentioned reading implied racial overtones in the article.

Its not your responsibility to tell people how to interpet the article. If you think there aren't racial overtones, that's great, but that doesn't mean others might read it differently.

Bob Dole would appreciate it if you didn't call Bob Dole a cracker like this.

Mr. Laz
08-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Bob Dole would appreciate it if you didn't call Bob Dole a cracker like this.
i thought you were an oreo.

jidar
08-21-2006, 01:29 PM
this isn't shit about race. jackholes. Read the ****ing article.

jAZ
08-21-2006, 01:30 PM
If it was a stronger union, they could have held out for bigger and better demands...

And killed their business in the process, like baseball, or what the UAW has done to GM...
Agreed. Bryant is wrong IMO. And even such, it still has nothing to do with race.

ck_IN
Considering he owns mice, I mean Chiuahuas I'd say he's more like a bon bon.

htismaqe
I can't believe I'm going to have to move a thread about Bryant Gumble -- WITH ***NFL*** IN THE TITLE -- to DC.

ROFL

Bob Dole
i thought you were an oreo.

Is that what you get when you mix Injun and Kraut?

jAZ
08-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Pitt read the second paragraph of Chop's post #20. You obviously don't understand what I was driving at. Chop captured it pretty well in paragraph two.

It's the double standard I find interesting. Not the issue of race which I'm bored to tears with.
This isn't an illustration of a double standard. There are others, and it exists. It's just not related to this discussion.

Bob Dole
I can't believe I'm going to have to move a thread about Bryant Gumble -- WITH ***NFL*** IN THE TITLE -- to DC.

ROFL

If the parties involved were white, you wouldn't even consider moving it.

Mr. Laz
Is that what you get when you mix Injun and Kraut?heh ROFL

isn't that just a MUTT?

shaneo69
08-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Personally, I think Gumbel's comment is 100% about race. The only way it could be more clear is if he actually used the words "Uncle Tom".

jAZ
this isn't shit about race. jackholes. Read the ****ing article.
I couldn't have been more clear or direct if I tried.

Bob Dole
heh ROFL

isn't that just a MUTT?

With a bad temper.

htismaqe
08-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Is that what you get when you mix Injun and Kraut?

Bison doesn't make very good Sauerbraten.

Mr. Laz
08-21-2006, 01:33 PM
With a bad temper.
and drunk ... don't for forget drunk

a pissed off,drunk Mutt.

paging Rausch, paging Rausch ...... please pickup the WHITE courtesy phone.

:) :p

jAZ
08-21-2006, 01:34 PM

ROFL
If you were ever forced to do so based on the direction this thread takes, it will be entirely the result of the sheer will of a few people to pretend that ***this particular story*** has anything to do with race.

htismaqe
If the parties involved were white, you wouldn't even consider moving it.

If the parties involved were white, we'd be having a parade all the way to Washington DC...

stevieray
Personally, I think Gumbel's comment is 100% about race. The only way it could be more clear is if he actually used the words "Uncle Tom".

Maybe an illustration with Tags with a leash around Upshaw's neck could clear things up.

Pitt Gorilla
08-21-2006, 01:35 PM
I guess some people will read race into anything. Reading it into this takes a bit of a stretch, IMO.

htismaqe
If you were ever forced to do so based on the direction this thread takes, it will be entirely the result of the sheer will of a few people to pretend that ***this particular story*** has anything to do with race.

Calm down, Horace.

This thing's not going anywhere.

I'm not your normal, everyday Fascist.

Bob Dole

So you're playing the race card?

kc rush
Given past comments by Bryant Gumble, it isn't hard to believe the guy was making a racial comment.

I saw this story on the Fox site before coming here. Reading it the first time I thought that he was making a statement about race, then I read it again and thought that Gumble was just being an asshole and it wasn't necessarily about race.

It has been interesting to see the varying reactions on the board.

jAZ
It's possible to be about both in Bryant's mind, but all we know is what's reported here, and based on the story (and the NFL's objections described)... it has nothing to do with race. Any attempt to see race in **this article** is just that... an attempt to see race.

Brock
08-21-2006, 01:36 PM
If Bryant Gumbel were black, this wouldn't be an issue.

jAZ
08-21-2006, 01:38 PM
Calm down, Horace.

This thing's not going anywhere.

I'm not your normal, everyday Fascist.
I know you were lauging, I didn't think you were saying you were going to move it. You were just laughing at the mere *thought* of having to move it. I should have tossed in a ROFL at the beginning of my reply.

jAZ
08-21-2006, 01:40 PM
If Bryant Gumbel were black, this wouldn't be an issue.
ROFL

jAZ
08-21-2006, 01:41 PM
So you're playing the race card?
At this point, I'm starting to get a little confused... so it's entirely possible.

ck_IN
08-21-2006, 01:41 PM
I have to disagree Jaz. I think it's going to be a clear example of a double standard. If Rich Eichen (sp?) had said this he'd already be in an unemployment line. It wouldn't matter what he meant, the fact that he said it would be his end. ESPN, CNN, Je$$ie and all the rest would be covering it breathlessly.

Gumbel says it and I'll bet nothing is said in any of the media or only in passing if so. And Gumbel will keep his gig.

He's entitled to his opinion as would be Eichen. However the reaction would be entirely different.

jspchief
08-21-2006, 01:42 PM
First off, I find it more than a little ridiculous that Bryant Gumble thinks he has a valid opinion on how to better run the most successful proffesional sporting league in the US (and maybe world.)

Second, this story doesn't have a damn thing to do with race. He's calling Upshaw a lapdog, not a slave. I guess the reactions in this thread are a good example of why everything is a witchhunt when it comes to race. People continue to make things about race that aren't.

stevieray
08-21-2006, 01:43 PM
I have to disagree Jaz. I think it's going to be a clear example of a double standard. If Rich Eichen (sp?) had said this he'd already be in an unemployment line. It wouldn't matter what he meant, the fact that he said it would be his end. ESPN, CNN, Je$$ie and all the rest would be covering it breathlessly.

Gumbel says it and I'll bet nothing is said in any of the media or only in passing if so. And Gumbel will keep his gig.

He's entitled to his opinion as would be Eichen. However the reaction would be entirely different.

I agree, to say the double standard isn't based on race is dishonest.

jspchief
08-21-2006, 01:45 PM
I agree, to say the double standard isn't based on race is dishonest.As it stands, there is nothing racist about what was said.

It takes an incredible amount of speculation to say that it would have been received as a racist comment if had come from a white person.

stevieray
08-21-2006, 01:46 PM
As it stands, there is nothing racist about what was said.

It takes an incredible amount of speculation to say that it would have been received as a racist comment if had come from a white person.

The only person who truly knows is BG.

It appears that in today's society that disrespect can sometimes be construed as racist.

IYO, do you think a pic of tags with a leash around Upshaws neck could be considered racist by the black community, even though the comment wasn't meant to be?

CoMoChief
08-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Gumble and Gumble.......BEACH JUSTICE!!!!

jspchief
08-21-2006, 01:49 PM
The only person who truly knows is BG.Well, that is certainly true.

But can you explain to me what about "leash" can be construed as racist?

|Zach|
08-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Heh, I see a lot of people that think this article is about a race complain that our society is too PC.

jAZ
08-21-2006, 01:59 PM
I agree, to say the double standard isn't based on race is dishonest.
That's not even close to anything I'm saying. "The double standard" (whites can't say somethings that blacks can) is so obviously about race, that I'm not sure how you got confused.

That being said, this story doesn't have to be (and IMO clearly isn't) about "the double standard" in any way.

CoMoChief
08-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Heh, I see a lot of people that think this article is about a race complain that our society is too PC.

What are your plans for Thurs Mr. Cobb?

|Zach|
08-21-2006, 02:08 PM
What are your plans for Thurs Mr. Cobb?
Getting a bunch of people together at Brew Co. should be a fun group...some folks could be driving down from Columbia over the weekend.

http://www.stargazette.com/blogs/genx/scanandplan/uploaded_images/beer-766877.jpg

Calcountry
08-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Bryant Gumbel is a sports commentator. If they are going to censor his ability to make commentary, I have a feeling he won't want to work for them anyway.They censored Jimmy the Greek.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Gumbel has always been, IMO, a Whitlock type. Maybe not over the top, like Jason, but he's kind of beated around the bush and hinted at things in broadcasts when it comes to a race issue. Tom Jackson and Michael Irvin are the same way, but Gumbel has usually been smart about it until now.

Calcountry
08-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Heh, I see a lot of people that think this article is about a race complain that our society is too PC.Just to point out, that hte knife has 2 edges on it, and it cuts both ways.

Lzen
08-21-2006, 02:20 PM
I didn't read this as being about race. But at the same time, I do understand what people mean by a double standard. In any case, I would think Bryant Gumbel should not have a job after those comments. If an employee makes those statements about his employer, the employee will be punished and/or fired in most cases.

Baby Lee
08-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Gumbel has usually been smart about it until now.
Yeah, like 'The Winter Olympics are teh suhck because it's a bunch of honkies farting around in the snow.'

Chiefs Pantalones
08-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Yeah, like 'The Winter Olympics are teh suhck because it's a bunch of honkies farting around in the snow.'
ROFL Well, there's no such thing as "smart" racism, but you know what I mean...I think...

chop
08-21-2006, 02:32 PM
That's not even close to anything I'm saying. "The double standard" (whites can't say somethings that blacks can) is so obviously about race, that I'm not sure how you got confused.

That being said, this story doesn't have to be (and IMO clearly isn't) about "the double standard" in any way.

I think you are correct and the story isn't about race but let us imagine that the person saying these remarks were made by Chris Berman and not Bryant Gumble. How do you think his words would be interpreted then?

I think is just a case of how a a certain race has to be so politically correct in everything they say or they get accused of being a racist vs. the normally accusing race making derrogatory statements about one of it's own.

This got twisted into a race thing because of all of the accusations that have been made by blacks against whites for the past several years. Some of those accusations have been valid but others were taken out of context to promote an agenda.

Mr. Laz
08-21-2006, 02:33 PM
everyone is white when covered in snow

Bob Dole
08-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Well, that is certainly true.

But can you explain to me what about "leash" can be construed as racist?

Bob Dole won't take his Mexicans out in public without a leash.

Hound333
08-21-2006, 02:34 PM
When I first read the title I thought it was going to be about race. After reading it I know it wasn't. However if it had been a white person saying I would still assume it wasn't racist. I won't speculate how the media would have taken it because I am honestly confused and baffled sometimes on what they feel is hard core racist and what they let go.

|Zach|
08-21-2006, 02:36 PM
everyone is white when covered in snow
Or yellow.

chop
08-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Or yellow.

that would make you asian.

|Zach|
08-21-2006, 02:40 PM
It would either make you asian or someone that has snow on them that someone else has peed on.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-21-2006, 02:40 PM
You, my friend, ARE A RACIST!!!

Zach was implying someone peeing in the snow, not asians!!! YOU ARE FIRED! :)

Mr. Laz
08-21-2006, 02:41 PM
It would either make you asian or someone that has snow on them that someone else has peed on.
can we make some indians or mexicans?

that would be fun

shaneo69
08-21-2006, 02:42 PM
I still get offended every time they show that Seinfeld episode where Jerry goes on the Today show and Gumbel calls him a "stupid honkey" for wearing that puffy pirate shirt.

chop
08-21-2006, 02:44 PM
You, my friend, ARE A RACIST!!!

Zach was implying someone peeing in the snow, not asians!!! YOU ARE FIRED! :)

ROFL ROFL

Skip Towne
08-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Bob Dole won't take his Mexicans out in public without a leash.
I heard your Mexicans are vicious killers. And you have to play tunes for them all day or they get pissy.

|Zach|
08-21-2006, 03:09 PM
I still get offended every time they show that Seinfeld episode where Jerry goes on the Today show and Gumbel calls him a "stupid honkey" for wearing that puffy pirate shirt.
Really?

GoHuge
08-21-2006, 03:59 PM
First off, I find it more than a little ridiculous that Bryant Gumble thinks he has a valid opinion on how to better run the most successful proffesional sporting league in the US (and maybe world.)

Second, this story doesn't have a damn thing to do with race. He's calling Upshaw a lapdog, not a slave. I guess the reactions in this thread are a good example of why everything is a witchhunt when it comes to race. People continue to make things about race that aren't.My thoughts exactly. Couldn't have said it better.

Mr. Laz
08-21-2006, 04:34 PM
In closing remarks from last Tuesday's show that were aimed at Goodell, Gumbel said: "Before he cleans out his office, have Paul Tagliabue show you where he keeps Gene Upshaw's leash. By making the docile head of the players union his personal pet, your predecessor has kept the peace without giving players the kind of guarantees other pros take for granted. Try to make sure no one competent ever replaces Upshaw on your watch."

Gumbel also advised Goodell to "keep a close eye on the ugly owners' split that surfaced last March" and to "[g]ently remind those millionaires who gave you the job that they are already making obscene amounts of money."

btw if you don't think the basis for this part of it isn't the perception that "the white owners are keeping the black players association down"

then i got some primo property to sell ya. ;)

KChiefs1
08-21-2006, 05:03 PM
I want to make sure I understand where Gumbel is coming from here....

He states that he wants the players of the NFL to make more $$$$ than what they currently do under Gene Upshaw's watch correct? Doesn't that mean kinda like what has happened to MLB? Does he realize that the NFL has passed MLB? Does he wonder why?

If Bryant Gumbel wants the NFL to become like MLB then he doesn't know shit about anything.

noa
08-21-2006, 05:16 PM
People are acting as if Bryant Gumble is the first person to criticize Upshaw. I'm not saying he's right, but he's certainly not the first nor the only person to argue that the players union should be stronger and shouldn't be so buddy-buddy with the owners.
I think its nice that the players and the owners get along well to keep the NFL running as smoothly as it is, and I think its smart business in the long run, but still, Bryant Gumble isn't breaking any new ground with his criticism.

jettio
08-21-2006, 07:50 PM

I think if you sing Kumbayah along with those younger generations you might realize that a black millionaire does not play the race card just because he says something provocative about somebody else.

Even if Gumbel called Upshaw a racial epithet he would not have "played the race card."

chop
08-21-2006, 08:00 PM
here's an example:

Comments Reveal a Double-Standard
Is there a double standard in the world of sports when it comes to racially-motivated statements made in the media?

Rush Limbaugh was recently forced into giving up his position on ESPN’s “NFL Sunday Countdown” for simply accusing the media of being racist for over-promoting quarterback Donovan McNabb because he is black. Yet, when Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive tackle Warren Sapp referred to the league’s office as “slave master”, hardly an eye batted at the racist overtones of his words.

Unhappy that the NFL powers had warned him against skipping through the Indianapolis Colts' pregame warm-ups, Sapp blasted the NFL and Washington Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington in an interview Sunday on CBS' "The NFL Today."

"He got what he wanted," Sapp said of Arrington, "He snitched and slave master come down. That's all that is. ... Stop a man from doing something that he's been doing for nine years? And so now there's a rule against me. Thanks. I knew (the league) was gonna do what they did because they've been notoriously against Sapp. Like I said before, it's a slave system. Make no mistake about it, slave master say you can't do it, don't do it. They'll make an example out of you."

Personally, I found Limbaugh’s comments to be insensitive and ignorant, but Sapp’s tirade is nothing short of asinine and insulting.

Not only were Sapp’s words way off base, but they were a slap in the face to his own race. How can a man that has been made a multi-millionaire by playing a game call the institution that made him rich a “slave system” and compare what he is going through with the circumstances a real slave lived under? And better yet… how does he get away with making such a racially-charged statement when others are losing their jobs for much less?

Can you imagine the uproar if NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue were to refer to a black football player as “boy”? Or how about if he just came right out and used the “N” word? You can bet Tagliabue would be run out of town quicker than Rush Limbaugh could say Oxycontin. But when Sapp calls Tags a slave master, it’s just a case of Warren being Warren? I don’t buy it!

Am I the only one that sees a double standard here?

jAZ
08-21-2006, 08:04 PM
...racially-motivated statements...
What? I thought we agreed that this was in fact NOT "racially motivated statement".

(edit: never mind... this is an old article about a different situation... I'll shut up now).

stevieray
08-21-2006, 08:08 PM
I think if you sing Kumbayah along with those younger generations you might realize that a black millionaire does not play the race card just because he says something provocative about somebody else.

Even if Gumbel called Upshaw a racial epithet he would not have "played the race card."

I think if you engage every other person who claimed race as a basis for BG's comments, you won't be as transparent.

As it is, I think his comments were directed at TAGS, not GU.

jettio
08-22-2006, 02:05 PM
I think if you engage every other person who claimed race as a basis for BG's comments, you won't be as transparent.

As it is, I think his comments were directed at TAGS, not GU.

I thought "playing the race card" was if someone claimed they were not given a fair chance because of racism, or that they should not be blamed for something that they did because of the effect that racism had on them and their behavior.

I think you jumped the gun in this thread to claim that Gumbel insulting Upshaw was "playing the race card."