PDA

View Full Version : Life Choice. . .Would u rather. . .

mac58
08-22-2006, 09:32 AM
work a sales job for a fortune 100 company making between 60K and 150K depending on production. . .and work 9 to 7 everyday. . .and work strictly comission w/ benefits. . .or

Be a teacher and make a steady 50K starting salary with yearly pay increases and work 180 days a year. . .8 to 4 hours

Inspector
08-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Neither.

Thanks anyway.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Do you have a family?

I would rather do the teacher thing... be with my wife more. If I was single, I'd do the Fortune 100 thing.

DaFace
08-22-2006, 09:36 AM
I value free time. If you can get 50k as a teacher, I'd go for it.

htismaqe
I have a family and there's no way I would want to try to support them on a teacher's salary...

chagrin
I would rather work 907 each day for a minimum of 60k, no doubt. Done it before and would do it again if the right situation came along.

htismaqe
08-22-2006, 09:37 AM
By the way, I work a sales job for a Fortune 100 company, make 3 times what I made in my past job and work almost half the hours.

I work 8-5 most days, any more than that is RARE.

DMAC
08-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Working sucks.

As long as I make enough to pay my bills and have some fun once in a while, I'm fine.

So, I would probably go with the teaching.

But, school sucks too.

Boy, that's a pickle.

Sure-Oz
08-22-2006, 09:39 AM
Fortune 500

luv
08-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Teacher. I'd rather mold young minds than to try to con people into buying something they don't want/need. Regardless of money.

Simplex3
08-22-2006, 09:43 AM
About six months ago I made this decision and went with my "teacher's job".

King_Chief_Fan
08-22-2006, 09:43 AM
You should answer this yourself based on how motivated you are. Sales job with commission and opportunity to make good money to support your family is an obvious choice for some. It depends on what is important. Teachers salaries are out of line from where good teachers should be paid. I am not certain that will ever change. In a fortune 100 company, they pay to be competitive with other companies. They include (usually) better benefits and 401k plans and some have additional defined retirement plans.
School systems (in MO) will give you 80% of your pay when you retire (if you put in 30 years). After you get tenure, you can't get fired for anything unless you are feeling up little boys or girls. In a fortune 100 company poor performance will cost you up to loss of job.

Good luck with your decision

pr_capone
08-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Hate to break this to you... but teachers dont work just 180 days a year.

My wife has been teaching for 10 years now. The teachers dont get the same days off that the kids do. an even if they do, they usually spend their free time working on something school related.

Also, they dont get the entire summer off like one would think. They have to do schooling to keep up their credentials and such. Also, it sure as hell isnt 8 - 4 unless you are teaching pre-school or something.

I was up until 1 in the morning grading papers with Cat just the other night. And school only started last week.

If anything... I would say that Cathy gets a solid 3 weeks off in the summer.... pretty much the same as the vacation time given at a large company.

htismaqe
08-22-2006, 09:46 AM
Teacher. I'd rather mold young minds than to try to con people into buying something they don't want/need. Regardless of money.

Um, not all sales positions are a "con".

Fried Meat Ball!
08-22-2006, 09:50 AM
STOP TRYING TO SELL US ON SALEMEN!!!

FIRE OUTT

htismaqe
08-22-2006, 09:50 AM
STOP TRYING TO SELL US ON SALEMEN!!!

FIRE OUTT

ROFL

Classic!

mac58
08-22-2006, 09:53 AM

My wife has been teaching for 10 years now. The teachers dont get the same days off that the kids do. an even if they do, they usually spend their free time working on something school related.

Also, they dont get the entire summer off like one would think. They have to do schooling to keep up their credentials and such. Also, it sure as hell isnt 8 - 4 unless you are teaching pre-school or something.

I was up until 1 in the morning grading papers with Cat just the other night. And school only started last week.

If anything... I would say that Cathy gets a solid 3 weeks off in the summer.... pretty much the same as the vacation time given at a large company.

I actually have taught before and I had 8 weeks off in the summer and the same vacation as the students. . .any over time worked paid me $38 an hour. . .once u have ur masters u do not need anymore schooling unless u want more pay. . .as far as grasding papers and things of that nature thats all time management. ..

pr_capone
08-22-2006, 09:56 AM
I actually have taught before and I had 8 weeks off in the summer and the same vacation as the students. . .any over time worked paid me $38 an hour. . .once u have ur masters u do not need anymore schooling unless u want more pay. . .as far as grasding papers and things of that nature thats all time management. ..

She has her masters... but some continuing education is still required.

There is no such thing as overtime work here.... she gets a salary and that is all. If she wants any additional money, she has to take on extra work... this year she is gonna be the asistant bball coach.

Perhaps the difference from state to state?

And grading papers is definately time management. But its still quite time consuming when you have 7 classes with roughly 35 children each. Thats 245 papers to grade... and that is assuming you only gave them one assignment each.

Fried Meat Ball!
08-22-2006, 09:56 AM
I'd play favorites. The kids I like get good grades. The kids I don't like don't get good grades.

But then... I'd be a bad teacher. I don't like other people's kids. I don't have any of my own, but I think I'd be good with them.

Braincase
08-22-2006, 10:07 AM
As a technical trainer, I kind of lean towards the teaching side of it. I am happy doind what I do. I teach from 8:30 til about 4, later if I teach nights. I get a little better than schoolteacher pay, and granted I don't get summers off, but I do get a few days each month for prep/whatever (anywhere from 2-5 days every month I suppose).

Demonpenz
08-22-2006, 11:46 AM
My moms a teacher summers off and when their school is doing bad the district throws more money in it. Sounds good to me!

Rain Man
08-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Less work, more time off is good, but maybe that's just a reflection of my current needs at the moment.

BucEyedPea
08-22-2006, 02:07 PM

I agree. Some say if you sell something you really believe in, that you do well at it.

I think both professions are fine. It's important to LIKE what you do.. to do well at it. This imo is the most important thing in a job.

I'd go with teaching as it provides time flexibility. I teach part time as an adjunct faculty. There's some prep ( more at the start for me) but I get two weeks off each quarter which is nice. You do get more time off. My regular profession, I love, but there is way too much overtime, pressure and stress. So full-time= overtime routinely. Doesn't work with having a kid. So I do that part-time freelance. I have to do sales to get my work though, that took time at first before getting any work.

I feel I get the best of both worlds with some regular pay in a creative profession with time flexibility while not being out of the professional loop completely. This way I can enter either side full-time when I want. But that's what I need right now.

I have friends that teach full time and say it's the best part-time paying job. One makes $75k per year in Boston another makes $60k. They do take the whole summer off. One travels then. One has a business in the summer.

Sales can provide flexibility too, but I don't think as much at the start. I have a cousin in insurance agen sales, by age 28 made $350 k per year. Now that he's 34 he takes time out to golf outta state, travels to sports events outta state and takes 4 vacations a year due to his residuals etc. NICE! But he worked very hard at it for his first 5 years to get to that point.

Saulbadguy
08-22-2006, 02:10 PM
Please, don't be a teacher. Ever. Thank you.

Saulbadguy
08-22-2006, 02:12 PM

They usually ALWAYS get the same days off. Roughly half of the time, they will throw an inservice in there, but it only lasts a few hours and then they are done.

I'd say roughly half of them become lazy after they get tenured.

htismaqe
08-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Less work, more time off is good, but maybe that's just a reflection of my current needs at the moment.

:hmmm:

I JOINED a Fortune 100 corporation, in a sales job nonetheless, precisely because it was less work and more time off...

DaneMcCloud
08-22-2006, 02:17 PM
Only 60k for a Fortune 100 company? Is that even possible? Working 4 hours a week or something?

If I'm working sales for a Fortune 100 company, I'd better be pulling in a least 250k or I'm a drain on the company and myself. 60k is lame.

Calcountry
08-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Teacher. I'd rather mold young minds than to try to con people into buying something they don't want/need. Regardless of money.This is precisely why you should NOT be a teacher.

Who says their minds need to be molded? Why not just educate them.

Spott
08-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Neither. I would absolutely hate a sales job and I don't have the patience to put up with other people's kids all day.

Demonpenz
08-23-2006, 12:36 AM
i also wanted to say i have never had a snow or heat day at work

Guru
08-23-2006, 12:37 AM
I value free time. If you can get 50k as a teacher, I'd go for it.

yeah, I don't know many teachers that come anywhere close to 50k.

greg63
08-23-2006, 01:01 AM
yeah, I don't know many teachers that come anywhere close to 50k.

...And if they did it still wouldn't be enough to put up with the little brats.

Guru
08-23-2006, 01:02 AM
...And if they did it still wouldn't be enough to put up with the little brats.
yet we always get notes from the teacher about how much they love our kids.

greg63
08-23-2006, 01:04 AM
yet we always get notes from the teacher about how much they love our kids.

...Attached to the down slips.