PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Notes: No sign of Holmes

DeepSouth
08-22-2006, 09:53 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/15329221.htm
It’s official, almost. Running back Priest Holmes is expected to stay on the physically-unable-to-perform list to start the season, coach Herm Edwards said Monday.

In the days before training camp started, it was obvious Holmes wouldn’t be in uniform for the Sept. 10 season opener with the Bengals. The Chiefs picked up Michael Bennett to back up Larry Johnson at the start of camp, and Holmes was nowhere to be found during the team’s three-week stay in River Falls, Wis.

Holmes, who has been out since late October because of a neck injury, hasn’t been in Kansas City since practice resumed.

Asked Monday whether Holmes will miss the first six weeks of the season, which is the minimum number for a player on the physically-unable-to-perform list, Edwards said, “That’s what it looks like right now. That’s kind of our mind-set.”

Where is everybody?

Speaking of running backs in a flux, Bennett was rather confused Saturday when he showed up for his first practice at Arrowhead Stadium.

He suited up, was ready to roll, but wondered what happened to the team. The Chiefs practice on three fields a few blocks away from the stadium, not at Arrowhead.

“I stood out there for five minutes,” Bennett said. “Luckily, I saw the trainer, and he brought me over.”

Bennett deserves to be cut some slack. A former Minnesota running back, he went from the Vikings to a short stint in New Orleans to Kansas City a few weeks ago. When the team plane landed in Kansas City on Friday, it was the first time he’d been in his new hometown. He’s living out of a hotel for now.

“It takes some getting used to,” Bennett said. “But I’m happy that I’m here, and I’m looking forward to the opportunity.”

Will watch

Edwards said Monday that Pro Bowl guard Will Shields definitely will not play in Saturday’s third preseason game against the Rams.

Shields suffered a high ankle sprain in last week’s game against the Giants at New York, just when the Chiefs were about to get several injured players back to practice. One of them is rookie quarterback Brodie Croyle, who practiced Monday and ended the workout by zipping a perfect 10-yard touchdown pass in between two defenders to Jeff Webb.

Edwards said he didn’t know whether Croyle will be the second or third quarterback to play this weekend.

“We haven’t discussed how we’re going to do it,” Edwards said. “But I know he’s going to play. He needs to play this game and the next game.”