PDA

View Full Version : Dish Notwork in deep doo doo.

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 03:02 PM
The TIVO company has been awarded almost $90 million in patent infringement damages from Dish Notwork. They have also been ordered to shut down about 200,000 of the units their customers are currently using. Dish Notwork has also been ordered to stop supplying out of market "local channel" signals to about 800,000 customers. You can read all about it in the Aug. 2006 Business Week. Damn cheaters!

Baby Lee
08-22-2006, 03:17 PM
They have also been ordered to shut down about 200,000 of the units their customers are currently using.
It's not an order, it's an injunction, and it was lifted by the Court of Appeals last week.

Baby Lee
08-22-2006, 03:43 PM
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6233389.PN.&OS=PN/6233389&RS=PN/6233389

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 04:19 PM
It's not an order, it's an injunction, and it was lifted by the Court of Appeals last week.
Tivo said it was a temporary thing that wouldn't last long.

Baby Lee
08-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Tivo said it was a temporary thing that wouldn't last long.
Not their call.

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 05:02 PM
There is a rumor flying around the message boards that E* is trying to buy TIVO to make it go away.

Calcountry
08-22-2006, 05:16 PM
What happened to the Great Skip Towne threads?

This thread has been here all day, and only 7 posts? WTF dude?

Mr. Laz
08-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Directv and Dish owned by the same company

Dinny Blues
08-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Hey Skip!

Did you hear about Nasium stalkin' Zach?

Dinny

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Directv and Dish owned by the same company
Nope. Rupert Murdoch owns D* while Charlie Ergen owns E*.

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Hey Skip!

Did you hear about Nasium stalkin' Zach?

Dinny
Yeah I heard that. Do you think they are a little swishy?

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 05:33 PM
What happened to the Great Skip Towne threads?

This thread has been here all day, and only 7 posts? WTF dude?
All day? Two hours constitutes all day? Well, does it Clyde?

Mr. Laz
08-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Nope. Rupert Murdoch owns D* while Charlie Ergen owns E*.
:hmmm:

thought i heard the other day that they were

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 05:40 PM
:hmmm:

thought i heard the other day that they were
Somebody said that on here the other day but they are wrong. Ergen tried to buy D* but the Justice Department nixed it.

Mr. Laz
08-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Somebody said that on here the other day but they are wrong. Ergen tried to buy D* but the Justice Department nixed it.
ahh .... got it.

Mr. Laz
08-22-2006, 05:43 PM
i wish Directv would buy Tivo ... then their DVR's situation would be better.

elvomito
08-22-2006, 05:47 PM
i think i'll get a Free-to-Air satellite system... forget payin dtv and dish

Dinny Blues
08-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Yeah I heard that. Do you think they are a little swishy?

I don't know about that, but I was just wonderin' if you'd seen that thread.

Dinny

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 06:26 PM
I don't know about that, but I was just wonderin' if you'd seen that thread.

Dinny
Yes, I saw the thread. Should I go look at it again?

HemiEd
08-22-2006, 07:14 PM
So this explains why the Tivo stock is up.

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 07:28 PM
So this explains why the Tivo stock is up.
That $90 mil will get them out of the red for awhile but they are still in a steep nosedive.

HemiEd
08-22-2006, 07:33 PM
That $90 mil will get them out of the red for awhile but they are still in a steep nosedive.

Agreed, I would not touch it again. But I did notice an upward swing lately and was curious why.

KC Jones
08-22-2006, 07:45 PM

Not quite, the aqquisition was signed, sealed, and almost delivered but then the FCC said that would create an unfair advantage since it would be a satellite TV monopoly. Since the merger didn't go through Echo had to pay something like $200 million to DirecTV. Murodch then swooped in and picked it up. As for the ruling and injunction, it's still got a ways to go.

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Dish was denied today an emergency stay of an injuction barring Dish from selling out of market Networks to about 1 million customers. The last date I heard was Sept. 11 for them to get it all shutdown. Dish is runnin' scared.

Bob Dole
08-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Dish was denied today an emergency stay of an injuction barring Dish from selling out of market Networks to about 1 million customers. The last date I heard was Sept. 11 for them to get it all shutdown. Dish is runnin' scared.

Oddly enough, Bob Dole finds it interesting that his DirecTV local channels come out of Shreveport, but a bar 4 blocks east in Arkansas has Little Rock locals on DirecTV.

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Oddly enough, Bob Dole finds it interesting that his DirecTV local channels come out of Shreveport, but a bar 4 blocks east in Arkansas has Little Rock locals on DirecTV.
Must be two different DMA's. They gotta draw the line somewhere. They are mainly concerned with the LA and New York feeds being sold all over the country.

Bob Dole
08-22-2006, 08:34 PM
Must be two different DMA's. They gotta draw the line somewhere. They are mainly concerned with the LA and New York feeds being sold all over the country.

One would think that for the sake of advertising, they'd want to adhere to established MSA's instead of making up their own arbitrary lines. Bob Dole isn't a marketing guy, but Bob Dole would guess that 71854 and 75503 are in the same MSA.

KC Jones
08-22-2006, 08:34 PM

ROFL

Keep dreaming Skip. I've never seen anyone have such a hard on for the competition, except maybe rexcjake.

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 08:40 PM
ROFL

Keep dreaming Skip. I've never seen anyone have such a hard on for the competition, except maybe rexcjake.
Did I dream that District Court judge's decision? Yes, I hate Dish Notwork and Charlie Ergen. I did a service call on their nasty shit today and charged them $95. I usually charge $35.

KC Jones
08-22-2006, 08:47 PM
Did I dream that District Court judge's decision?

No, but the distant locals thing will make it to production on time. I know the guys that are working on it. It just means they don't have much breathing room for QA iterations.

Yes, I hate Dish Notwork and Charlie Ergen.

I'm with you there - I'll be giving notice tomorrow actually.

I did a service call on their nasty shit today and charged them $95. I usually charge $35.

I don't understand. Are you saying someone called for service and when you found out they were a Dish customer you overcharged them?

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 08:49 PM
One would think that for the sake of advertising, they'd want to adhere to established MSA's instead of making up their own arbitrary lines. Bob Dole isn't a marketing guy, but Bob Dole would guess that 71854 and 75503 are in the same MSA.
I don't know what an MSA is but I think the DMA's are assigned by the FCC. They seem to be in charge of the whole thing.

redbrian
08-22-2006, 08:51 PM
I don't know what an MSA is but I think the DMA's are assigned by the FCC. They seem to be in charge of the whole thing.

msa= metropolitan statistical area

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 08:54 PM
msa= metropolitan statistical area
We use DMA = Demographic Market Area

Rausch
08-22-2006, 08:56 PM

*Cough*

Rausch
08-22-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm also pretty sure I'd prefer kidney stones again over another Phillips DTV reciever.

No...No, I know I'd prefer it...

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 09:00 PM
I'm also pretty sure I'd prefer kidney stones again over another Phillips DTV reciever.

No...No, I know I'd prefer it...
Philips (with one l) made the absolute worst receiver. The only good I have to say about them is their remote was easy to program. Philips no longer makes D* receivers.

Rausch
08-22-2006, 09:02 PM
Philips (with one l) made the absolute worst receiver. The only good I hae to say about them is their remote was easy to program. Philips no longer makes D* receivers.

I got it 3 months ago (due to some type of service/replacement plan.)

Help me get rid of this POS...

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 09:08 PM
I got it 3 months ago (due to some type of service/replacement plan.)

Help me get rid of this POS...
It's a great big mofo ain't it? Did you get it as a replacement as a part of the service plan that you pay a monthly fee for? They used to would only send you the same model as what you had. If you call and just ask to buy a refurb, they will dump a Philips or Samsung on you.

Bob Dole
08-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Philips (with one l) made the absolute worst receiver. The only good I have to say about them is their remote was easy to program. Philips no longer makes D* receivers.

Bob Dole hasn't had any problems with his $15 Philips unit.

What are the common problems with them?

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 09:25 PM

What are the common problems with them?
Their size made customers bitch. The current D-11 receiver is 10 inches wide, 8 inches deep and 2 inches tall. We also had a lot of service calls on them. The most common problem was the loss of all the even numbered transponders. Rausch: What don't you like about your Philips?

jspchief
08-22-2006, 09:32 PM

Neither has Senator jspchief

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 10:10 PM
If E* cuts off Lzen's DVR and/or his "distant locals" I will laugh at him.

KC Jones
08-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Did you miss this?

I did a service call on their nasty shit today and charged them $95. I usually charge $35.

I don't understand. Are you saying someone called for service and when you found out they were a Dish customer you overcharged them?

Ultra Peanut
08-22-2006, 10:17 PM
i wish Directv would buy Tivo ... then their DVR's situation would be better.God, I love my DirecTiVo. The DirecTV DVRs are utter crap.

Ultra Peanut
08-22-2006, 10:19 PM
*Cough**Cough cough*

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 10:20 PM
No, but the distant locals thing will make it to production on time. I know the guys that are working on it. It just means they don't have much breathing room for QA iterations.

I'm with you there - I'll be giving notice tomorrow actually.

I didn't overcharge them. I charged them what it is worth to deal with their idiocy. So you work for them, huh? I was wondering what your vested interest was. I normally won't touch E* shit. I was visiting with a buddy who works for a dealer (both E* and D*) when the call came in. He had no techs of his own around so he handed it to me. I didn't know it was E* till I got there. So I fixed them up. Yes, I did.

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 10:27 PM
*Cough cough*
I couldn't figure out what he was coughing about either. He must have the consumption. Needs some laudenum.

KC Jones
08-22-2006, 10:29 PM
I didn't overcharge them. I charged them what it is worth to deal with their idiocy. So you work for them, huh? I was wondering what your vested interest was. I normally won't touch E* shit. I was visiting with a buddy who works for a dealer (both E* and D*) when the call came in. He had no techs of his own around so he handed it to me. I didn't know it was E* till I got there. So I fixed them up. Yes, I did.

Ha, you're a crook no matter how you want to justify it.

ChiefsFanatic
08-22-2006, 10:33 PM
I couldn't figure out what he was coughing about either. He must have the consumption. Needs some laudenum.

As long as he doesn't refer to himself as a Huckleberry he should be alright.

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Ha, you're a crook no matter how you want to justify it.
Ha, you are full of shit no matter how you want to justify it. If D* has to send someone out to correct something my crew did wrong, they charge me $100. You don't know a hell of a lot about this business do you?

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 10:41 PM
As long as he doesn't refer to himself as a Huckleberry he should be alright.
Nah, he's a MUron. One of quite a few good ones on the board.

Bob Dole
08-22-2006, 10:41 PM
God, I love my DirecTiVo. The DirecTV DVRs are utter crap.

Bob Dole has a Hughes unit that has been in constant service for nearly 5 years...

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 10:45 PM
Bob Dole has a Hughes unit that has been in constant service for nearly 5 years...
IMO, the Hughes was the best ever built. They last forever but the older ones are not multisat capable so have a limited use today. Does yours have the Turbotune feature? I really miss that.

Bob Dole
08-22-2006, 10:48 PM
IMO, the Hughes was the best ever built. They last forever but the older ones are not multisat capable so have a limited use today. Does yours have the Turbotune feature? I really miss that.

Bob Dole isn't even sure what Turbotune is.

It's an HDVR2.

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 10:54 PM
Bob Dole isn't even sure what Turbotune is.

It's an HDVR2.
I think that is too new a model for Turbotune. It was phased out with me kicking and screaming. It was where you pushed the Turbotune button and it brought up a block of 9 of your favorite preselected channels and you could choose among them. I only watch about that many channels on a regular basis. Now I have a D-10 and I have to scan the entire guide to see what is on next.

Rausch
08-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Rausch: What don't you like about your Philips?

1)It takes about 4 Jupiter days for the numbers I punch in the remote to change the ****ing channel.

2) It constantly locks up where my screen turns blue and I have to go behind the ****ing mess of A/V cables and cobwebs to unplug the ****er and reset it (once every week to 2 weeks. REGULARLY.)

3) It won't turn on. I'll push the SAT button, the ON button, the ****ing every gawddamned button the the ****ing POS remote they gave me and nothing makes this hellspawn lapdog jump up.

Other than pressing "POWER" on the front of the reciever.

24 hours later the remote works just fine again. 30 seconds later it works just fine as long as I turn it on by pressing the button on the reciever.

4) I have about a 12 year old reciever (RCA) they sold back when DTV had USSB service and the setup cost about $500. It's in the bedroom on the spare TV.

These two work together like TO and McNabb.

If one isn't ****ing retarded it's the other, but I had no problem until I replaced the RCA reciever in the livingroom with the POS Philips.

I've replaced 100% of the wiring and attachments (redid the rain loop even) with no change...

Skip Towne
08-22-2006, 11:32 PM
1)It takes about 4 Jupiter days for the numbers I punch in the remote to change the ****ing channel.

2) It constantly locks up where my screen turns blue and I have to go behind the ****ing mess of A/V cables and cobwebs to unplug the ****er and reset it (once every week to 2 weeks. REGULARLY.)

3) It won't turn on. I'll push the SAT button, the ON button, the ****ing every gawddamned button the the ****ing POS remote they gave me and nothing makes this hellspawn lapdog jump up.

Other than pressing "POWER" on the front of the reciever.

24 hours later the remote works just fine again. 30 seconds later it works just fine as long as I turn it on by pressing the button on the reciever.

4) I have about a 12 year old reciever (RCA) they sold back when DTV had USSB service and the setup cost about $500. It's in the bedroom on the spare TV.

These two work together like TO and McNabb.

If one isn't ****ing retarded it's the other, but I had no problem until I replaced the RCA reciever in the livingroom with the POS Philips.

I've replaced 100% of the wiring and attachments (redid the rain loop even) with no change...
All that brings back memories. Bad dreams. Instead of going through the maze of wires to unplug the rx (receiver) try taking out the access card, wait 10 seconds and re insert it. Should do the same thing. That 12 year old rx won't get the locals if you need them from the 119 satellite. The KC market was the last to have the locals on the 101 sat. USSB? God that was a long time ago. 2000? If you have the monthly protection plan I would tell them you have lost all the even transponders and you don't want another Philips rx. You want a replacement for the RCA like you had in the first place. If that doesn't work call 800 824 9081 (Customer retention) and explain how long you have been a D* customer and how dissatisfied you are with the Philips rx. They know all about the Philips rx. Let me know what happens. I know some other tricks.

Skip Towne
08-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Whoa! This just hit the news on channel 6 in Tulsa. They devoted 5 full minutes to it including the speculation that Dish Notwork is trying to buy TIVO in order to get this stopped. Hahahahahahahahaha! If they read the Planet they would have known about this yesterday.

ceebz
08-23-2006, 09:45 PM
Their size made customers bitch. The current D-11 receiver is 10 inches wide, 8 inches deep and 2 inches tall. We also had a lot of service calls on them. The most common problem was the loss of all the even numbered transponders. Rausch: What don't you like about your Philips?

So, how do you know what your signal strength is with the D-11's and the R-15's? When I go into the signal strenght menu, it shows the strength of all the different transponders. Does the box automatically pick the strongest one?

Typically, I'll have two transponders at 90+, the rest will be in the 70's & 80's. is this good enough, because my picture gets pixelated with just a little rain, whereas Dish Notwork only went out on me once in three years.

Jenny Gump
08-23-2006, 09:46 PM

Well God, you don't have to go and confuse the situation with your stupid facts...

C-Mac
08-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Curious question...
Let's say you lived in Tulsa and got the locals set up on your reciever, the you move to Dallas and set up your dish yourself. How could they even know if your not using a usb or phone jack and your setup on paperless billing?

Boyceofsummer
08-23-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm sticking with MUTHER****ING COX cable. Bastards!

Smed1065
08-23-2006, 11:09 PM
And except shitty service? Not me!

Boyceofsummer
08-23-2006, 11:31 PM

Boyceofsummer
08-23-2006, 11:33 PM

every Chiefs game uninterupted by weather or contract issues. I may not like what transpires. But I'll see the MUTHER****IN SHIT!

htismaqe
08-24-2006, 07:23 AM
I have Dish Network and it blows DirecTV away...

Skip Towne
08-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Curious question...
Let's say you lived in Tulsa and got the locals set up on your reciever, the you move to Dallas and set up your dish yourself. How could they even know if your not using a usb or phone jack and your setup on paperless billing?
They wouldn't know the difference and you would continue to get all the "cable channels" as usual. But the Tulsa locals would probably not come in as they are on a "spot beam" that covers roughly 350 miles across. I did exactly what you described and I had the Tulsa locals in Cassville, Mo. A friend tried the same thing at his cabin in Branson and the Tulsa locals didn't work. Only a difference of about 40 miles but the spot beam runs out somewhere in there.

Skip Towne
09-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Haha. Cox Cable is running TV ads saying if you have Dish your DVR may get shut off. And now would be a good time to switch to Cox. I love it. I wonder why D* hasn't done it.

morphius
08-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Dish won the case and received $90,000 for their troubles, D* threw away 8 million on nothing.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/10/echostar-beats-forgents-patent-suit-makes-chumps-out-of-direct/
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/08/10/ap4008979.html
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118674218501694174.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

btlook1
08-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Haha. Cox Cable is running TV ads saying if you have Dish your DVR may get shut off. And now would be a good time to switch to Cox. I love it. I wonder why D* hasn't done it.

hmm...imagine that! Dish wins!!! Guess the crusty old guy needs to find something else to worry about...

Bob Dole
08-10-2007, 10:41 PM
I have Dish Network and it blows DirecTV away...

Except for that whole "no Sunday Ticket" thing...

Skip Towne
08-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Just to be fair, Parker told me D* jettisoned him not vice versa.

Phobia
08-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Once again, the only people who "win" are the lawyers.

BigMeatballDave
08-11-2007, 01:33 AM
The only difference between DTV and Dish is NFL Sunday ticket. I don't think DTV could sustain itself witout it.

htismaqe
08-11-2007, 07:23 AM

Sunday Ticket is WAY overrated.

The last season I had it I watched exactly zero games on it due to stupid blackout rules and DirecTV errors.

htismaqe
08-11-2007, 07:24 AM
Just to be fair, Parker told me D* jettisoned him not vice versa.

They told me to find another provider, so I did.

And yes, Dish Network is superior to DTV in every way.

Lzen
08-11-2007, 08:19 AM
This is great news. I had a feeling they would have a hard time telling millions of Dish customers that they couldn't use their DVRs any longer. Yeah, that would have gone over real well. Screw DTV. 4321

FringeNC
08-11-2007, 08:33 AM
I've heard rumors that with Dish Network you can "move" to say, KC, and pick up the KC locals even if your dish is half way across the country....anyone have experience doing this?

Adept Havelock
08-11-2007, 09:21 AM
I've heard rumors that with Dish Network you can "move" to say, KC, and pick up the KC locals even if your dish is half way across the country....anyone have experience doing this?

No, I don't have 1500 miles of cable to connect my TV to my dish half way across the country. :p

MTG#10
08-11-2007, 09:26 AM
You can do this with DirecTv as well. The only problem is if you have to make a sevice call because somethings screwed up that you cant fix, they will go to your fake address. Its certainly against their "rules", but hundreds of people do it.

The only thing DirecTV has on DN is the Sunday Ticket. Besides that, DN is highly superior, especially in HD quality.

BigMeatballDave
08-11-2007, 09:50 AM
The only thing DirecTV has on DN is the Sunday Ticket. Besides that, DN is highly superior, especially in HD quality.I have Dish. I am enjoying the HD. I just wish they'd add more HD channels. Plus, I cannot get my locals in HD. I need an antenna. I am not putting up an antenna...

BigMeatballDave
08-11-2007, 09:52 AM
I wish I could change my locals to KC locals...

BigMeatballDave
08-11-2007, 09:00 PM
You can do this with DirecTv as well. The only problem is if you have to make a sevice call because somethings screwed up that you cant fix, they will go to your fake address. Its certainly against their "rules", but hundreds of people do it.

Can this be done legally?

MTG#10
08-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Can this be done legally?
I don't think there's a law against it but if they found out they would probably just switch it back. Ive never heard of anyone getting caught. All you have to do is call them and tell them you're moving to KC. You will have to find a KC address that doesn't already have DN and give it to them. Then tell them you want to continue receiving your bills at the address youre currently at. Make up some dumb excuse like your parents live there and they're going to pay it for you or whatever. Keep in mind though, if you ever have any problems you cant ever have a tech come out unless of course you call and switch it back.