PDA

View Full Version : Report: Paramount Terminate's Tom Cruise's Contract

eChief
08-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Aug. 22, 2006 (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Business/story?id=2344327&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312) A Wall Street Journal story released late today said Paramount Pictures is terminating its 14-year relationship (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Business/) with Tom Cruise, in part because of the actor's erratic behavior over the past year.

"As much as we like him personally, we thought it was wrong to renew his deal," Viacom Inc. Chairman Sumner Redstone told The Wall Street Journal. "His recent conduct has not been acceptable to Paramount."

Viacom is the parent company (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Business/) of Paramount.

Cruise, one (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Business/) of the most successful movie stars of all time, has starred in "Top Gun," "Rain Man" and three "Mission: Impossible" movies. The Journal story says the actor's moviemaking company, Cruise/Wagner Productions, has been located on the Paramount lot since 1992.

But increasingly unusual behavior during the past year, including a famous stint jumping on Oprah Winfrey's couch while explaining his relationship with actress Katie Holmes, has drawn questionable reactions from the press and public. Cruise has also become increasingly vocal about his involvement with the controversial Church of Scientology.

The Journal story said Paramount believes that Cruise's behavior hurt box (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Business/)-office receipts of the most recent "Mission: Impossible" movie, which was released in May.
A spokeswoman for Cruise/Wagner Productions declined to comment on the Journal story.

BucEyedPea
08-22-2006, 06:49 PM
They "believe" box office receipts were hurt,but nothing more than a belief?
I thought the movie did well?
If it didn't I can understand dropping him.

Other than that unless he was representing the firm on the other tv occasions it doesn't seem legitimate, even if he did act goofy or they didn't agree with his stands. Jane Fonda never lost any work for her outspokeness and she certainly upset a lot of people.

bogie
08-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Tom is a dumb ass.

Calcountry
08-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Tom is a dumb ass.Katie Holmes is dumber. She could have launched a thousand ships with that face, and she chose the teeth and sun glasses.

bogie
08-22-2006, 07:30 PM
Katie Holmes is dumber. She could have launched a thousand ships with that face, and she chose the teeth and sun glasses.

I agree. Her parents should be spanked, hard!

wazu
08-22-2006, 07:49 PM
I didn't even know movie stars had contracts. I thought it was on a per-movie basis. Still some fun news, though.

TinyEvel
08-22-2006, 07:53 PM
It trips me out how incedibly powerful actors become. I know people who recently met Tom in a business meeting, he was every bit the self-important/intense, couch jumping guy you'd think he was. And other people associated with him were like, "Isn't he a genious??!!"

WTF? Um, your job is to pretent to be other people!

Not saying that's easy to pull off, but the pedestal these people get to live on. Crazy.

BucEyedPea
08-22-2006, 08:03 PM
It trips me out how incedibly powerful actors become. I know people who recently met Tom in a business meeting, he was every bit the self-important/intense, couch jumping guy you'd think he was. And other people associated with him were like, "Isn't he a genious??!!"

Not saying that's easy to pull off, but the pedestal these people get to live on. Crazy.
Well, I can agree with that. Well said.

fan4ever
08-22-2006, 11:38 PM
I especially like it when they try to become political. They live in a lavish, make believe lifestyle and they think they need to educate us about the real world. I appreciate their advice on politics about as much as I do marriage.

Frazod
08-22-2006, 11:49 PM
I think Tom Cruise is a great actor and I have several of his movies. Unfortunately, I also think he's degenerated into a complete freak. At this point, he's basically Michael Jackson with a face. I'm tired of hearing about his cult crap and don't give a shit what he thinks about anything. So I won't be seeing any new movies he makes. Perhaps eventually he'll stop acting like a freakish idiot and just make movies and shut up when the camera isn't rolling. Then I might start watching his stuff again.

I personally have none of the petty envy issues that make others automatically hate people like Tom Cruise and Keanu Reeves. What they do offscreen isn't my f#cking business. When they try to make it my business, I generally don't react well to that. That's why I don't watch Sean Penn movies any more, even though he's an excellent actor.

Guru
08-22-2006, 11:51 PM
Cruise is very effectively killing himself. Keep on going Tom. We are all rooting for ya.

greg63
08-22-2006, 11:57 PM
It's Hollywood I tell ya; it makes people loony. :D

chief2000
08-23-2006, 12:04 AM
I think he played a dumb HS kid real well in Risky Business , other than that ? Mehhhh.

elvomito
08-23-2006, 02:28 AM
FUNNY

On same day Cruise breaks with PARAMOUNT, 'SOUTH PARK' creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone ink two picture deal with -- PARAMOUNT... (http://www2.variety.com/ref.asp?u=drud&p=lm1n&sid=VR1117948794)

MichaelH
08-23-2006, 04:49 AM
Tom was a good actor twenty years ago. Or maybe he was an actor in good movies. He has become a self absorbed freak that seems to be most of Hollywood. I'm glad someone stood up and put an end to his crap. :clap:

OldTownChief
08-23-2006, 05:19 AM
I always hated his acting but loved some of the movies he was lucky enough to land.

chagrin
08-23-2006, 05:28 AM
I think he played a dumb HS kid real well in Risky Business , other than that ? Mehhhh.

TAPS was his best work to date

Cochise
08-23-2006, 06:21 AM
I especially like it when they try to become political. They live in a lavish, make believe lifestyle and they think they need to educate us about the real world.

No kidding.

Amnorix
08-23-2006, 06:30 AM
They "believe" box office receipts were hurt,but nothing more than a belief?
I thought the movie did well?
If it didn't I can understand dropping him.

Other than that unless he was representing the firm on the other tv occasions it doesn't seem legitimate, even if he did act goofy or they didn't agree with his stands. Jane Fonda never lost any work for her outspokeness and she certainly upset a lot of people.

err...what?

And Viacom can choose not a renew a contract. No problem with that at all.

I'm glad they made this move. Cruise has shown himself to be a world class dickhead.

Amnorix
08-23-2006, 06:32 AM
I think Tom Cruise is a great actor and I have several of his movies. Unfortunately, I also think he's degenerated into a complete freak. At this point, he's basically Michael Jackson with a face. I'm tired of hearing about his cult crap and don't give a shit what he thinks about anything. So I won't be seeing any new movies he makes. Perhaps eventually he'll stop acting like a freakish idiot and just make movies and shut up when the camera isn't rolling. Then I might start watching his stuff again.

I personally have none of the petty envy issues that make others automatically hate people like Tom Cruise and Keanu Reeves. What they do offscreen isn't my f#cking business. When they try to make it my business, I generally don't react well to that. That's why I don't watch Sean Penn movies any more, even though he's an excellent actor.

I agree withe very word of the above, and couldn't have said it better.

Tuckdaddy
08-23-2006, 06:40 AM
I hate him for brain washing Katie into believing his crazy BS.

ZepSinger
08-23-2006, 07:01 AM
Sad. I dug him in alot of movies. I thought he was awesome in Magnolia and Jerry Maguire, especially. But now... I don't think I could watch him in anything new without wondering what kinda weirdness was floating thru his head at the time... :whackit:

Cochise
08-23-2006, 07:03 AM
The last samurai was good. Ken Watanabe stole the show, though.

Amnorix
08-23-2006, 07:09 AM
I actually think he's quite a good actor. That doesn't mean I'm going to help line his pockets anymore, however. I can definitively say that I won't directly contribute a dime to his wealth and success ever again.

BucEyedPea
08-23-2006, 07:23 AM
err...what?

And Viacom can choose not a renew a contract. No problem with that at all.

I'm glad they made this move. Cruise has shown himself to be a world class dickhead.
I wasn't thinking about it like a contract renewal alone but their claim that they were losing money on him as I thought the movie did well. It may not have done well but I thought I heard it had. Never saw his whole MI series, as I don't care for them nor for Cruise's acting...I never have. Thought he was just a face man. Anyhow their reasons did not seem legitimate is what I was aimin' at.

Other than that, you really think this business decision has to do with acting up on Oprah's sofa? I think it could have to do with his controversial religion which is the basis for his stand on the drugs. That is unless they were losing money on him.

Dr. Van Halen
08-23-2006, 07:29 AM
I'm a little curious about the double-standard with actors who are vocal versus athletes who are criminals.

We won't watch Tom Cruise movies because off the screen he is extremely annoying and has a weird religion he won't shut up about ... but we will watch and cheer for football players who off the field are arrested for beating their wives or conspiring to cover up a murder (or whatever Ray Lewis' charge was).

I'm just as guilty as everyone else on this. I'm not going to see any more Tom Cruise movies, but I will certainly not be boycotting any NFL games.

It's just interesting. I wonder why we are like this.

Brock
08-23-2006, 07:33 AM
I don't think anybody is staying away from Tom Cruise movies. I think people are staying away from movies, period, because nobody's made a good one in a long, long time. Maybe it they'd stop making crappy television shows into movies and actually came up with some good ideas, that would change.

ck_IN
08-23-2006, 07:40 AM
What if we just cut out the middleman and terminate Tom Cruise? I think the world at large would be thankful.

chiefz
08-23-2006, 07:43 AM
It's pretty bad when you're perceived as being "weird" in Hollywood.

Chiefnj
08-23-2006, 07:45 AM
I don't know how much MI3 made, but it seems like a dumb move to me. The media is infatuated with the guy and he is always in the headlines which means his movies are in the headlines. Plus, he works damn hard promoting his movies.

It is kind of funny that Paramount signed Parker and Stone and released Cruise. I guess Baseketball or whatever the hell the movie was called did really well in Europe.

BucEyedPea
08-23-2006, 07:46 AM
That could go both ways though, dontcha' think?
They don't exactly like Main Street America either.

Good point Brock, perhaps movies aren't doin' as well. I know I've been hard pressed to go because nothing seems excitin' to shell out that kind of dough over a home dvd.

stevieray
08-23-2006, 07:48 AM
"Did you order the code red on Tom Cruise?"

Fire Me Boy!
08-23-2006, 07:50 AM
He's just become a caricature of himself. The backlash is what other on here have mentioned -- he's become overexposed. We liked him when we saw him in the theater, but now we see him everywhere.

Lzen
08-23-2006, 07:52 AM
Brock, how long do you mean when you say "a long, long time"? I know Hollywood tends to put out a lot of crap these days, but there are some hidden gems, IMO. I just watched Jersey Girl the other night. I had no idea what it was about. Didn't remember seeing any previews when it came out in 2004. I thought it was a pretty decent flick. And, of course, The Lord Of The Rings trilogy is one of my all time favorites.

chiefz
08-23-2006, 07:53 AM
That could go both ways though, dontcha' think?
They don't exactly like Main Street America either.

Good point Brock, perhaps movies aren't doin' as well. I know I've been hard pressed to go because nothing seems excitin' to shell out that kind of dough over a home dvd.

True. I guess my point is that Hollywood is known to have more than it's share of unusual people. Besides, I think we can all agree that Tommy Boy is far from "Main Street America".

Lzen
08-23-2006, 07:55 AM

ROFL

So funny.......and true.

Lzen
08-23-2006, 07:58 AM
I wonder how much sales would be declining if it took a lot longer for movies to be released on dvd. What if it took, say, 2 years for a movie to be released on dvd? Would you be more willing to go to the theater?

I guess I should also add what if it was impossible to find it on the internet. Yeah, I know. Just use your imagination.

Brock
08-23-2006, 07:59 AM
Brock, how long do you mean when you say "a long, long time"? I know Hollywood tends to put out a lot of crap these days, but there are some hidden gems, IMO. I just watched Jersey Girl the other night. I had no idea what it was about. Didn't remember seeing any previews when it came out in 2004. I thought it was a pretty decent flick. And, of course, The Lord Of The Rings trilogy is one of my all time favorites.

I thought Jersey Girl was the worst movie Kevin Smith ever made.

Don't look now, but LOTR was 3 years ago.

BucEyedPea
08-23-2006, 08:00 AM
FMB- I think your post makes the most sense.

Brock, how long do you mean when you say "a long, long time"? I know Hollywood tends to put out a lot of crap these days, but there are some hidden gems, IMO. .

There will always be an occasional gem but they seem to be fewer and far between to me anyway. The writing and stories aren't as good as Hollywood seems to substitute good writing/scripts for too many effects based stories. It's really gone down since about 2000 imo. I remember reading an article then, that there has been a lack of good scripts that Hollywood has been able to find which was a reason they started basing more movies on books...then after that not all books translated well on film,which is also true. I just like a good story. I also like effects but not at the expense of a poor story.

I also thought it was more older generations that went to the movies because an actor was in it that more people went because of the film. I'll go if it's a certain director but I had filmaking in art school.

ck_IN
08-23-2006, 08:04 AM
<i>What if it took, say, 2 years for a movie to be released on dvd? Would you be more willing to go to the theater? </i>

No. The last movie I saw in a theatre was Titanic and only then because the wife wanted the 'big screen experience'.

I've no desire to pay $8 for a ticket ($5 for matinee), whatever popcorn and a coke costs only to sit behind a woman with big hair and/or listen to a screaming kid whose parent can't stop yapping on her cell phone long enough to take it outside.

I won't even mention the piece of krap that the movie is likely to be.

I'll stay home and watch DVD's or Starz.

Lzen
08-23-2006, 08:09 AM
I thought Jersey Girl was the worst movie Kevin Smith ever made.

Don't look now, but LOTR was 3 years ago.

Ok, fair enough. I guess everybody has different tastes. Isn't he the same guy who made Clerks? I saw the first Clerks and thought "eh, it has a few funny parts, but mostly it's just dumb". And you would think I, of all people, would've loved that kind of flick because I worked in C-stores for a lot of years in my early adult life.

Yes, the last LOTR was 3 years ago. I just was trying to get your definition of a long, long time.

Cormac
08-23-2006, 08:09 AM
I'm a little curious about the double-standard with actors who are vocal versus athletes who are criminals.

We won't watch Tom Cruise movies because off the screen he is extremely annoying and has a weird religion he won't shut up about ... but we will watch and cheer for football players who off the field are arrested for beating their wives or conspiring to cover up a murder (or whatever Ray Lewis' charge was).

I'm just as guilty as everyone else on this. I'm not going to see any more Tom Cruise movies, but I will certainly not be boycotting any NFL games.

It's just interesting. I wonder why we are like this.

I guess it's because we don't really care. As NFL fans, we're much less likely to bail on the sport because of the minority. On a movie board, I'm sure many would quit on the NFL for Ray Lewis' reputation and ignore/forgive Cruise......

:shrug:

ChiTown
08-23-2006, 08:11 AM
I don't think anybody is staying away from Tom Cruise movies. I think people are staying away from movies, period, because nobody's made a good one in a long, long time. Maybe it they'd stop making crappy television shows into movies and actually came up with some good ideas, that would change.

Ehh, I like going to the movies. It's always a fun night out with my wife and or kids. They're expensive and all, but I like the experience. I do agree however, that it would be nice to have some better movies come out.

BTW, Did anyone see Little Mis Sunshine? If not, go see it. I pissed my pants laughing so hard.

ck_IN
08-23-2006, 08:14 AM
<i>I thought Jersey Girl was the worst movie Kevin Smith ever made.</i>

I like Jersey Girl. It's a cute fun movie. It makes a great date movie with the wife.

Lzen
08-23-2006, 08:16 AM
I'll stay home and watch DVD's or Starz.

That's just it. Say the DVD or movies on Starz were at least 2 years old. Personally, I don't think it would affect my theater attendance. I probably only go to the theaters about 2 or 3 times a year. Like most of you, I don't usually see anything that makes me eager to spend $8. Hell, the last time I actually went to see a full price movie was last September when I saw Serenity (another good flick, btw). I did take the kids to see Ice Age: The Meltdown a couple weeks ago, but that was at the $1.50 theater. That was worth it, IMO. But most movies I will, like you guys, wait until they come to dvd or television.

BucEyedPea
08-23-2006, 08:16 AM
<i>I thought Jersey Girl was the worst movie Kevin Smith ever made.</i>

I like Jersey Girl. It's a cute fun movie. It makes a great date movie with the wife.
What a cheap $8 date movie for the wife?
Boy o' boy!

stevieray
08-23-2006, 08:21 AM
Hollywood mostly makes crap, (because like everything else) it became about the actor and not the story.

Fire Me Boy!
08-23-2006, 08:22 AM
The problem with Hollywood is inbreeding. And I'm not talking about stars; I'm talking about the quality of movies. We've come to a point where Hollywood only wants to turn a fast buck. As in most things production, you have a choice of two out of three fast, cheap or good. You have to pick one to leave out. If you want it fast and cheap, you'll sacrifice quality. If you want it cheap and good, it's going to take some time. As such, H-town just tends to rehash what we've already seen a million times over. Then we end up with movies like "Alien Resurrection".

The Hollywood Machine churns out movies upon movies, much like slinging shit against a wall and hoping some sticks. Seeing that their films have become stale, they make more, by the same people that failed them before. Meanwhile, legions of filmmakers languish in relative obscurity. Often, not only are they more talented than those currently in production, they have new ideas.

THM is only part of the problem. Much of our current quandary is caused by moviegoers. We continue to buy tickets to Bad Boys II. We still see The Fast and the Furious. We flock to Mission: Impossible. And while those movies can be enjoyable, they are truly unremarkable stories. We've seen them before.

We completely ignore foreign films, believing instead that only American movies are good movies. We miss out on the Jean Renoirs, the Akira Kurosawas, the Jean-Luc Godards, the Bernardo Bertoluccis, and the Federico Fellinis of the world while they are making films. Instead, it takes 40 years and the rest of the world to tell us what we're missing. We miss out on the great art of the 20th and 21st Centuries. We can not celebrate their art.

Until we force Hollywood to give us story over effect, acting over explosion, film instead of movie... until our "LCD audience" ups the ante, we will continue to be barraged by Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay. The only way we can do that is if as a whole we will begin giving the smaller releases, the world's "art films," more credence at the box office.

JMO.

ck_IN
08-23-2006, 08:23 AM
<i>What a cheap $8 date movie for the wife?
Boy o' boy!</i>

Nope, a DVD bought on the 'used' section at Amazon. Throw in some cold coke and white cheddar popcorn and a fire if the weather is right and yeah it's a great date movie.

Another plus is that if I play my cards right, the bedroom is the second door on the left.

BucEyedPea
08-23-2006, 08:28 AM
We miss out on the Jean Renoirs, the Akira Kurosawas, the Jean-Luc Godards, the Bernardo Bertoluccis, and the Federico Fellinis of the world while they are making films. .
Rep! :thumb:

Thought whole post was terrific but had to quote the above.I studied those in art school...I don't think anyone knows who they even are. I also loved Kubrick and died when he picked Cruise for his last, and not his best either.

Fire Me Boy!
08-23-2006, 08:29 AM
Rep! :thumb:

Thought whole post was terrific but had to quote the above.I studied those in art school...I don't think anyone knows who they even are. I also loved Kubrick and died when he picked Cruise for his last, and not his best either.
I wasn't thrilled with Cruise, but I loved Eyes Wide Shut. I thought it was just an outstanding little phsychological character study. And... anytime you get Nicole Kidman naked is good for me.

BucEyedPea
08-23-2006, 08:30 AM
<i>What a cheap $8 date movie for the wife?
Boy o' boy!</i>

Nope, a DVD bought on the 'used' section at Amazon. Throw in some cold coke and white cheddar popcorn and a fire if the weather is right and yeah it's a great date movie.

Another plus is that if I play my cards right, the bedroom is the second door on the left.
WTF?

If you play your cards right you'll have her PM me about all this. ROFL :p

Yeah riiiiiiiiigggggghhhhhhtt!

BucEyedPea
08-23-2006, 08:37 AM
I wasn't thrilled with Cruise, but I loved Eyes Wide Shut. I thought it was just an outstanding little phsychological character study. And... anytime you get Nicole Kidman naked is good for me.

I still enjoyed it, because I already knew how to look at his stuff which gave helped me: his use of camera angles and all; everything he does has a purpose to the story. But I have to admit I was baffled at parts of the story. I had to do some reading later on it to fully "get it." Still, just didn't think it was his best.

I have always enjoyed Nicole Kidman's acting and movies far more than Cruise's, and not for the reasons a man would. She always seemed to pick stuff that was headier or more intellectual. Of course, Kubrick has a reason for choosing these two as a pair. He wanted to have a married couple in this flick for the psychological aspects of the story...or so I read, which made sense in retrospect.

Fire Me Boy!
08-23-2006, 08:40 AM
I still enjoyed it, because I already knew how to look at his stuff which gave helped me: his use of camera angles and all; everything he does has a purpose to the story. But I have to admit I was baffled at parts of the story. I had to do some reading later on it to fully "get it." Still, just didn't think it was his best.

I have always enjoyed Nicole Kidman's acting and movies far more than Cruise's, and not for the reasons a man would. She always seemed to pick stuff that was headier or more intellectual. Of course, Kubrick has a reason for choosing these two as a pair. He wanted to have a married couple in this flick for the psychological aspects of the story...or so I read, which made sense in retrospect.
I didn't think it was his best. That honor I'd have to give to 2001. But I really thought it was an outstanding work.

BucEyedPea
08-23-2006, 08:50 AM
I didn't think it was his best. That honor I'd have to give to 2001. But I really thought it was an outstanding work.
I loved his " A Clockwork Orange" the most. I even love the name. Loved the tacky sets.

He's an outstanding director. Not many left.
What do you think of Ridley Scott for these times anyway?

Fire Me Boy!
08-23-2006, 09:05 AM
I loved his " A Clockwork Orange" the most. I even love the name. Loved the tacky sets.

He's an outstanding director. Not many left.
What do you think of Ridley Scott for these times anyway?
Clockwork was good. But tops for me (aside from 2001) would be Strangelove, Spartacus, Lolita... The Killing was also great.

Scott... as a whole, I like him, but he's been hit and miss with me. Matchstick Men was very enjoyable, as was Black Hawk Down and Gladiator, but I thought GI Jane and 1492 were crap. Gotta love Thelma and Louise... while I enjoyed Black Rain it wasn't that good. Legend and Blade Runner were outstanding. Legend would have been a LOT better with the original Jerry Goldsmith score. And of course, Alien is one of the best sci-fi thrillers ever made.

Brock
08-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Clockwork was good. But tops for me (aside from 2001) would be Strangelove, Spartacus, Lolita... The Killing was also great.

Barry Lyndon was a great movie.

Fire Me Boy!
08-23-2006, 09:09 AM
Barry Lyndon was a great movie.
:thumb:

Yeah, but not one of his best. It's really sad that he didn't make more movies. Kubrick was such a talent.

BucEyedPea
08-23-2006, 09:09 AM
Strangelove, Lolita... also :thumb:

Ridley has been hit n' miss, I'd agree. If I had to single anyone out for these times I'd have to go with him as one.

I've been renting some really old ones in general of late. One's I heard of as classics but never saw as they were before my time. It's fun.

Barry Lyndon is one...think I'll go rent that. That sounds like a good one.

Iowanian
08-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Last week, when I was out with the well known and powerful Robert Dinnero...Yeah, when Bob is buying my lunch, I spell in DINNERo. Anyway, we were contemplating the national backlash of Tom, I call him Tom, because he and I have the same wealthy, gay interior decorator from my fabulous neighborhood. The conclusion we arrived at is that the semi cultured peasants in the flyover states just don't understand or appreciate the pressure placed upon people like us. I mean, most of them don't even realize that we have to work for 3-4 whole months on a movie! You peasants can't possibly fathom the pressures of a work schedule like that, and having everyone kiss your ass because you made the truffle shuffle famous in Goonies in 1987. Tom Cruise is brilliant and you just don't understand him because he's so much more psychologically advanced.

[/dane]

Fire Me Boy!
08-23-2006, 09:10 AM
I've been renting some really old ones in general of late. One's I heard of as classics but never saw as they were before my time. It's fun.

Such as?

Fire Me Boy!
08-23-2006, 09:12 AM
Last week, when I was out with the well known and powerful Robert Dinnero...Yeah, when Bob is buying my lunch, I spell in DINNERo. Anyway, we were contemplating the national backlash of Tom, I call him Tom, because he and I have the same wealthy, gay interior decorator from my fabulous neighborhood. The conclusion we arrived at is that the semi cultured peasants in the flyover states just don't understand or appreciate the pressure placed upon people like us. I mean, most of them don't even realize that we have to work for 3-4 whole months on a movie![/dane]
:shake:

BucEyedPea
08-23-2006, 09:13 AM
Such as?

I got into Audrey Hepburn after seeing a tv special about her. So I rented "Breakfast at Tiffany's." I actually really liked it too. I loved her rendition of Moon River too. Was a lot more enjoyable than something like "Potemkin." LOL!

Also "Lawrence of Arabia" for political reasons due to the ME problem.

Iowanian
08-23-2006, 09:15 AM
well, I happen to own 85,000 videos. I've seen eleventeen million hours of obscure movie footage, dating back to flickering voiceless, physically hillarity. I know about movies and you dumbasses don't have any right to disagree with my opinions of cinematography. For Gawd sakes man, do you know that I own "On golden Pond" in 17 languages? I can lip read Kung-fu at 4x ffw! [/fireme]

Fire Me Boy!
08-23-2006, 09:17 AM
I got into Audrey Hepburn after seeing a tv special about her. So I rented "Breakfast at Tiffany's." I actually really liked it too. I loved her rendition of Moon River too. Was a lot more enjoyable than something like "Potemkin." LOL!

Also "Lawrence of Arabia" for political reasons due to the ME problem.
Not really a rendition of Moon River. Williams wrote Moon River for her... she had a very limited vocal range (less than one full octave).

I made my wife sit down last week and watch Lawrence of Arabia with me... great film.

Frazod
08-23-2006, 09:17 AM

Yeah, you're definitely a film-type, because pretty much anybody that isn't sees this movie as needlessly and annoyingly incoherent. And yes, I understand the story and read the book. The final sequence, where Kubrick endlessly explores the wonders of superimposed colors on various landscapes, is nearly as coma-inducing as a soccer game. 2001 is one of the most overrated, overhyped and overappreciated movies in history.

My personal favorite of the Kubrick's is (obviously) Full Metal Jacket. A Clockwork Orange runs a close second.

Fire Me Boy!
08-23-2006, 09:18 AM
well, I happen to own 85,000 videos. I've seen eleventeen million hours of obscure movie footage, dating back to flickering voiceless, physically hillarity. I know about movies and you dumbasses don't have any right to disagree with my opinions of cinematography. For Gawd sakes man, do you know that I own "On golden Pond" in 17 languages? I can lip read Kung-fu at 4x ffw! [/fireme]
:hmmm: I don't think I have On Golden Pond at all.

BucEyedPea
08-23-2006, 09:18 AM
I refuse to own more than a handful of movie videos/dvd's...what a waste of space and the media keeps changin'....it's gotta be something I will watch over and over even if it's just funny crap....things like "Bridget Jone's Diary." LOL! Love that one!

Iowanian
08-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Holy Crap! I hadn't even read your post about Foreign films.

Dead on.

Fire Me Boy!
Yeah, you're definitely a film-type, because pretty much anybody that isn't sees this movie as needlessly and annoyingly incoherent. And yes, I understand the story and read the book. The final sequence, where Kubrick endlessly explores the wonders of superimposed colors on various landscapes, is nearly as coma-inducing as a soccer game. 2001 is one of the most overrated, overhyped and overappreciated movies in history.

My personal favorite of the Kubrick's is (obviously) Full Metal Jacket. A Clockwork Orange runs a close second.
Nevermind that 2001 made modern science fiction what it is today.

Fire Me Boy!
Holy Crap! I hadn't even read your post about Foreign films.

Dead on.
I think you owe me an apology. :harumph:

BucEyedPea
08-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Not really a rendition of Moon River. Williams wrote Moon River for her... she had a very limited vocal range (less than one full octave).

Yeah know...that's what I loved about it. It had character to me.

Iowanian
08-23-2006, 09:21 AM
I think I nailed the impression.

I should probably win a golden globe.

ck_IN
08-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Buc, if you want older directors try just about anything from John Huston. As for actors you can't go wrong with Bogart or Jimmy Stewart.

Three more reasons I don't go to theatres since I own most of their movies.

Fire Me Boy!
08-23-2006, 09:25 AM
I think I nailed the impression.

I should probably win a golden globe.
I don't think I'm overbearing in my opinions... I just argue them, like most people do here.

:sulk:

Iowanian
08-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Stop Pouting. You're acting like a menstruator-american.

I was busting your Balls, tom. no need to make them stop the southpark episode.

Fire Me Boy!
08-23-2006, 09:30 AM
Stop Pouting. You're acting like a menstruator-american.

I was busting your Balls, tom. no need to make them stop the southpark episode.
ROFL

BucEyedPea
08-23-2006, 09:32 AM
I don't think I'm overbearing in my opinions... I just argue them, like most people do here.

:sulk:
I really enjoyed discussing these directors and films with you.
Pay no attention to the tourette syndrome of some.

Iowanian
08-23-2006, 09:39 AM
How rude and inconsiderate to make sport of a genetic affliction, Bep. Jesus is disappointed.

BucEyedPea
08-23-2006, 09:40 AM
ROFL As expected. :p

Iowanian
08-23-2006, 09:42 AM
You're De nise without a durka.

Frazod
08-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Nevermind that 2001 made modern science fiction what it is today.
The special effects obviously were groundbreaking and important to the future of the industry. That has nothing to do with the incoherent nature of the story as presented on the screen.

I also appreciate what Elvis and the Beatles did for rock. Doesn't make a big fan, though.

BucEyedPea
08-23-2006, 09:44 AM
...durka.
Is that a pickle or sumthun?

Fire Me Boy!
08-23-2006, 09:46 AM
The special effects obviously were groundbreaking and important to the future of the industry. That has nothing to do with the incoherent nature of the story as presented on the screen.

I also appreciate what Elvis and the Beatles did for rock. Doesn't make a big fan, though.
There were spots in 2001 that were a little weird.[/understated]

BucEyedPea
08-23-2006, 09:46 AM
I think if we look at it from today's viewpoint some of it comes across like that. It was totally new and different, an intro into another realm more.

I think there is another movie that tops it for incoherence...and I can't recall how to spell it if I ever did know how.

It was in the 80's "Korianiskansi"....something like that.

Does anyone recall?

Fire Me Boy!
08-23-2006, 09:50 AM

Part of what I love about 2001 is that every time I watch it I find something new about it... something I didn't know before, or something I hadn't thought about.

BucEyedPea
08-23-2006, 10:21 AM
Cruise camp fires back at Paramount's claims:

Link (http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=2006-08-23T132751Z_01_N22285827_RTRUKOC_0_US-MEDIA-CRUISE.xml&pageNumber=1&imageid=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage3)

Some interesting statements, some raised here,being flung back:

His films acounted for about 15% of the studio's box office gross over the period of their relationship, with the MI Series alone totally over $2 billion ww.

Current "MI:III" amassed $393 million in ww ticket sales...a decent sum but less than his "War of the Worlds" release which topped $590 million.

Paramount's move comes when all studios are taking new measures to curb expenses in the face of escalating production and marketing costs and slumping growth in DVD revenues [interesting on the DVD's even]

Gallup poll does show a decline in positive PR for Tom

Cruise camp claims they made the decision to not continue the relationship
Cruise camp chose to leave the Paramount lot and establish a new venture financed through a private, revolving equity fund of $100 million.

Paramount Chairman Brad Grey was in talks with Cruise/Wagner seeking to slash the amount of money the studio pays for the production company -- from over $10 million to $2 million a year.
Wagner disputed those figures, and said the collapse in talks with Paramount did not stem from a disagreement over money but from an opportunity to go "in a new direction."

Calcountry
08-23-2006, 10:45 AM

Not saying that's easy to pull off, but the pedestal these people get to live on. Crazy.Nice sig.

My favorite line in that is, "She's towing an anchor, a junior investment banker, she's talking about herself, and not much more. "

Calcountry
08-23-2006, 10:48 AM
He's just become a caricature of himself. The backlash is what other on here have mentioned -- he's become overexposed. We liked him when we saw him in the theater, but now we see him everywhere.I think his problem, is that he takes his characters with him after the movie is over.

Sybil.

He believes it IS him.

memyselfI
08-23-2006, 11:00 AM
This has been a bad couple of weeks for religious fanatic movie stars. :hmmm:

vailpass
08-23-2006, 11:42 AM
IMHO:
No f'ing way Paramount fired Cruise. The last 7 movies they have made with him were each $100million earners. That kind of $$ excuses any kind of behavior.

Fire an actor for being a frigging weirdo? There would be precious few working actors.

Things got uncomfortable, Cruise and Co. told Paramount to shove it up their e-meter and walked. Now Paramount is spinning away.

DaneMcCloud
08-23-2006, 12:06 PM
IMHO:
No f'ing way Paramount fired Cruise. The last 7 movies they have made with him were each $100million earners. That kind of $$ excuses any kind of behavior.

Fire an actor for being a frigging weirdo? There would be precious few working actors.

Things got uncomfortable, Cruise and Co. told Paramount to shove it up their e-meter and walked. Now Paramount is spinning away.

Sumner Redstone is a douchebag. He's 80 years old, takes huge, bloated bonuses, boasts about said bonuses to Viacom employees via broadcast emails, all the while asking department heads to cut headcount. I've never worked for a bigger a*hole in my whole life.

He got into a power struggle with Mel Karmazin a few years back, which led he and Howard Stern to leave Viacom. Viacom's radio division is struggling, big time. He's pretty much left Les Moonves alone since CBS is number one but the second they slip to number 2, expect tension (if that bastard is still alive).

Redstone hired Sherry Lansing to head the movie division and she flopped. Brad Grey is a definite step in the right direction, but if Redstone is going to look over his shoulder like this and publicly call out high profile actors, then I doubt that too many people will want to work with Paramount. Which is fine by me.

ILikeBigTiddys
08-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Tom's ghey

chief2000
08-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Marrying a teenager pissed off his fans which are mostly girls.

chief2000
08-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Sumner Redstone is a douchebag. He's 80 years old, takes huge, bloated bonuses, boasts about said bonuses to Viacom employees via broadcast emails, all the while asking department heads to cut headcount. I've never worked for a bigger a*hole in my whole life.

He got into a power struggle with Mel Karmazin a few years back, which led he and Howard Stern to leave Viacom. Viacom's radio division is struggling, big time. He's pretty much left Les Moonves alone since CBS is number one but the second they slip to number 2, expect tension (if that bastard is still alive).

Redstone hired Sherry Lansing to head the movie division and she flopped. Brad Grey is a definite step in the right direction, but if Redstone is going to look over his shoulder like this and publicly call out high profile actors, then I doubt that too many people will want to work with Paramount. Which is fine by me.

Go F-yourself you Cruise anus licker.

Oh by the way thanks for the neg rep.

DaneMcCloud
08-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Go F-yourself you Cruise anus licker.

Oh by the way thanks for the neg rep.

I gave you neg rep because you're an idiot. I don't think that War of the Worlds, Vanilla Sky, the Mission Impossible series and Eyes Wide Shut were produced and marketed to the "teenage girl crowd", especially since half of those films were R-rated.

But you're such retard, I'm sure this post makes no sense to you pea-sized intellect anyway.

BTW - are you so stupid that you can't even find the Neg Rep button? You gave a Neutral, idiot.

stevieray
08-23-2006, 01:10 PM
BTW - are you so stupid that you can't even find the Neg Rep button? You gave a Neutral, idiot.

uh, are you so stupid you don't know that his rep is gray, because his rep status renders his rep powerless? Notice it didn't reduce your rep?

;)

DaneMcCloud
08-23-2006, 01:13 PM
uh, are you so stupid you don't know that his rep is gray, because his rep status renders his rep powerless? Notice it didn't reduce your rep?

;)

Yes, I am! :)

Cochise
08-23-2006, 01:16 PM
I loved Eyes Wide Shut. I thought it was just an outstanding little phsychological character study. And... anytime you get Nicole Kidman naked is good for me.

I can't believe anyone thought that thinly veiled porno was a quality piece of filmmaking.

chief2000
08-23-2006, 03:10 PM
I gave you neg rep because you're an idiot. I don't think that War of the Worlds, Vanilla Sky, the Mission Impossible series and Eyes Wide Shut were produced and marketed to the "teenage girl crowd", especially since half of those films were R-rated.

But you're such retard, I'm sure this post makes no sense to you pea-sized intellect anyway.

Who gives a sh** if they are rated R. You never go into a rated R film when you were young ? Dumbshit.

Cruise=chick magnet at the theatres.

No wonder gayfu**s like you suck his balls dry.

DaneMcCloud
08-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Who gives a sh** if they are rated R. You never go into a rated R film when you were young ? Dumbshit.

Cruise=chick magnet at the theatres.

No wonder gayfu**s like you suck his balls dry.

D'oh! Thanks for the insight! Next time you're in a marketing meeting at Paramount, give me a call and we'll do lunch on Larchmont. :rolleyes:

Cochise
08-23-2006, 06:40 PM

From what I have read, he's often surrounded by handlers and high level scientologist yes-men. Maybe that's who those people were.

eChief
08-23-2006, 06:48 PM
This has been a bad couple of weeks for religious fanatic movie stars. :hmmm:

Scientology is not a religion, they are just nucking futs.

Bob Dole
08-23-2006, 06:57 PM

;)

It's the kryptonite, isn't it?

DaneMcCloud
08-23-2006, 07:27 PM

From what I have read, he's often surrounded by handlers and high level scientologist yes-men. Maybe that's who those people were.

I wouldn't have a clue as to who those people were, but this is pretty standard behavior in the presence of Hollywood stars. It's funny and sickening at the same time, but in my experience it's pretty commonplace.

When I was at Universal's Publishing division back in the mid 90's, we'd often have newly signed artists come in and play for us "in the round". It was this huge central location in which there was a sofa that was probably 60 foot in length overall, though curved. Just about everyone in the company could sit comfortably.

Now the A&R people and President would just gush over the artists, good or bad. Sometimes, they WERE good, like Lisa Loeb. She came in all alone and played her Taylor acoustic guitar and sang probably 4-5 songs. That was cool and I understood the adulation and praise that was given to her.

Other times, geez, I just don't know. We had a singer/songwriter come in that no one had heard of that was supposedly, according to the Prez and A&R staff was the second coming of John Lennon. We had just given him a 400k advance so he agreed to come in play. Suffice to say, it was gawd-awful. I mean pitiful. Everyone was looking around after he "performed" and I had at least a dozen people ask me "Was that any good?" because the "normal" folks there were confused by his "talent". I don't think the guy sold 10 records, let alone recouped his balance, but the "Creative" Staff was just drooling all over this numbskull.

We had another band come in that was signed to Sony, so we gave them like 600k. They came and played a full on acoustic set. Two guitarist, acoustic bass and a drummer with a kick, snare, cymbal and hat. Anyway it took about 45 seconds before it became painfully obvious that whoever signed this band had never heard them before! I mean, pathetic. Again, the A&R staff just went nuts, hugging the band and the President walked around with a big, giant stupid grin on face. It was like a staged sitcom or something. I mean you've probably seen a better band at your uncle's 60th birthday party. But the praise was almost psychotic. And of course, they got dropped from Sony about 2 weeks after the record came out. Bye-Bye 600k.

I've got tons more but I'll save them for next off-season.